Bonus characters for Broken Chains

By N0-1_H3r3, in Black Crusade

In case anyone had missed it, a new Black Crusade news post/preview has appeared from the depths of the Immaterium, providing two additional characters to use in Broken Chains on Free RPG Day (and after).

Of course, given that most people haven't seen Broken Chains yet, these preview characters also present more than a few hints and clues as to some of the changes made to the 40kRP system for Black Crusade, if you're keen-eyed enough to spot them...

Hmm.. I like them both! So far I've just noticed the Infamy Characteristic (and the replacement of Fate points with Infamy points... which just so happen to equal the bonus of the Infamy characteristic...)

edit: also, Pride and Failing along with Motivation!

I noticed the "Type" field, human in case of Cultist... I mean... Kastala and CSM in case of Babaroth. I wonder if that opens doors for other non-human types.

Also, I think the CSM has an error. Unnatural characteristics says he has +4 to SB and TB. But he seems to have +6 to SB.

Lord Ork said:

Also, I think the CSM has an error. Unnatural characteristics says he has +4 to SB and TB. But he seems to have +6 to SB.

He is wearing Power Armour, which adds +20 to Strength (and consequently +2 SB). Just as with the characters in Final Sanction, the bonus to Strength from the armour isn't factored into the character's profile, but the increased strength bonus is.

Which is sound, except characters don't begin with their gear...It's a little bit confusing, I think.

PS: I hope the Inquisition has some handy restraints on that ship, 'cause that Marine won't be stopped by normal doors...

+10 Modifier on standard attacks is mentioned on Babaroth sheet, where does this come from ? Rule changes incoming ?

nightspearD said:

Hmm.. I like them both! So far I've just noticed the Infamy Characteristic (and the replacement of Fate points with Infamy points... which just so happen to equal the bonus of the Infamy characteristic...)

edit: also, Pride and Failing along with Motivation!

Also of interest- Skills go to +30

Which kind of makes sense if this is a true, level-less system and PCs will need to sink xp somewhere

I think in DH when you take a full action attack, you gain +10 (and I think you get a malus to evasion). This character can make two attacks in the same turn. But I fail to see how it is different to make two half-action attacks. Maybe I don't have much matery on the rules.

In DW, you can't make more than one action with the subtype Attack in the same turn (it has been specified for DW at least, too lazy to check if it's the same in the others), which implies no "Two standard actions". The talent Two-Weapon Wielder (Melee) specifically allows you to hit with two melee weapons you wield.

As for the +10, I really don't see where it should come from...Master-crafted weapons?

And I hope the GM's kit will remind the GM of the unarmed attack rules, as it seems they may come in handy.

@Stormast

PS: I hope the Inquisition has some handy restraints on that ship, 'cause that Marine won't be stopped by normal doors...

In 95% of all cases, Stasis Fields are enough to contain a CSM, a rogue Psyker and whatever other interesting monstrosities you have aboard your ship.

In 5% of all cases, you get Broken Chains.

Fair enough ;)

My point was more on the lines of "I'm really eager to see what failure this ship did that allows our dear Chaotics to escape".

But we'll know, for sure.

Cifer said:

@Stormast

In 95% of all cases, Stasis Fields are enough to contain a CSM, a rogue Psyker and whatever other interesting monstrosities you have aboard your ship.

In 5% of all cases, you get Broken Chains.

Dunno. It's not very convinging that you capture a CSM and let him his two chainaxes just because you can put a force field.

The sheet specifically says they don't begin the game with their gear, so this is taken into account ;)

Of course, you can't really take the Unnatural Strength of a CSM...Except by killing him.

I have just checked it. So, I suppose they start with no gear at all. Even the poweramour would be gone. Right?

Naked Khorne berserker on a killing spree , sounds fun :) poor crew, he will be quite literally up to his ellbows in their blood in no time :)

Well, if I am allowed to make a quick guess on how the adventure will play out, it'll go like this

1. Break out of the cell and kill anyone nearby.

2. Find your weapons and armour and kill anyone in the way.

3. Kill anyone still alive.

At least that is how the Khorne CSM will want to play it.

The +10 to standard attacks sounds intresting, maybe you will no longer be able to aim for a melee attack, instead it is already in there? Making it easier to hit in melee then at range, with the same stats. Discounting that you can parry in melee... Anywho, seems we are lacking in information, no wonder since the book is not out yet, but this was a welcome sight :)

Since this looks to be a rules light intro and Barbatos is making a standard attack (dual wielding) as a full action I'd guess that he's aiming.

Half Action Aim

Half Action Standard Attack

Are you even allowed to aim in Melee?

I wouldn't be so sure of what I'm saying, I'm at work and don't have the books with me, but I thought Aiming was only for Ranged weapons...

You can aim in melee, but you can't aim (half action) and use two weapons (full action) in a single turn.

@Nightsorrow

That depends - after all, the Khornite might be a little more far-thinking, in which case step 3 would become "Find someone to point the starship in a direction where there are more people to kill" and step 4 is "kill anyone still alive on board". No point in living the rest of your days in a dead piece of wreckage when there's still a galaxy full of people waiting to be killed left.

Anyway, I really like the comment how the Inquisition considered the loss of a company of guardsmen a fair trade for Babaroth's capture.

I does read like that Standard Attacks do now get +10 for some reason. Also, what is an "Evasion Action"?

Babaroth does seem to have been a little shafted wounds wise, but I guess that is for balance purposes.

My bad, you can Aim before Melee-ing. Which is silly, but hey.

Ahhh, those Khornites, playing the tough mofos, but one hit and they go cry to their mommas...Weessa Nurgle followers never has dis prablem happy.gif

Just as some wishful thinking: perhaps they switched the attack bonuses to +10 on standard (melee or ranged), +20 on semi auto, and +0 on full auto, dont think it would happen though

tkis said:

Just as some wishful thinking: perhaps they switched the attack bonuses to +10 on standard (melee or ranged), +20 on semi auto, and +0 on full auto, dont think it would happen though

That would be quite interesting, and without having testing it, meaning my opinion doesnt count for much, it does sound more balanced then the +0/+10/+20 that it is now.

And it does indeed seem like Babaroth has very little wounds for a CSM, but hey, maybe they are weaker then the 18+1d5 that is the Deathwatch marines.

Having just read the adventure, since I am running it Saturday, I will say that although there is combat, it is a pretty well thought out and developed story line IMO. It has a good hook to get a variety of "evil" characters together. Actually, the PCs don't have to kill or fight everything, and there is some negotiation and diplomacy that can take place should they choose to do so.

I won't spoil anything, but to me at least, everything in the story makes sense regarding the how and whys.

I am worried that 2.5 hours won't be enough time to run it, though. Depending, I could see groups taking 4 hours, or even 2 sessions playing it, depending on the level of detail and effort everyone puts into it. Yeah, that's actually a GOOD THING in my opinion, though. gran_risa.gif

Based on the simplified rules presented in the adventure booklet, anyone who has played one of the other 40k RPGs will feel right at home, and there are only a few minor rule differences that I noticed.