Scenario #9 Question...My brain is about to explode!

By The moose2, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

If one of the goals of Arkham Horror is to drive you completely insane, then this is a good start!

Has anyone attempted this scenario? I have yet to find the time (or space) to play it, but being a relatively new player, the setup seems a bit overwhelming! All of the expansions incorporated into the base game is pretty impressive, but I'm worried that there will be too much going on to keep track of what my next move will be. I have played with an expansion or two, but never anywhere close to what FFG asks here. Any suggestions? Please help!

The biggest danger by far is the fact that monsters move twice a turn and thus the board picks up two Kingsport Rift tokens a turn. So you'll want to camp two investigators in Kingsport at any given time. Allowing a rift to open is bad juju. Double monster movement means two chances for the Rift to move, and the Herald means that Terror tracks are all kinds of bad.

-Frank

What's scenario nine like? I don't see it...

Ahhh... There it is....

What's this? My eyes can not believe what they are seeing? A challenge? Nijay! A challenge!

Oh wait, did I say a challenge, I didn't notice that you could shop for exhibit items ;'D never mind.

Lets see, how shall I break this scenario...

Oh wait, that can't be the intent, no shopping price is listed for the items. I guess that only means random draws. Heh... Too bad.

Still... 22 cards... Two spirit vessels, three parchments of the Elder Sign, and one scales of thoth.

Heh... I'm actually kindof nervous about this scenario. Presuming I can make it to it with my current team (Nijay and I are playing so we can't redo scenarios with randomly selected three player teams), which is pretty tough (I drew Mandy, and got Darrell from the science building), and my third player is Lola, who is really quite good if played properly. Yeah... Anyways, I'm dreading my team being devoured before then, because if a three player team can pull this off, it's going to be *this* three player team ;'D Heh... I've done Kingsport with three players plenty of times, but, um, honestly, never with double rifts and the KiY herald. Hmmm... Then again... Double clue tokens... Rapid environment turnovers... Exhibit items... Yes, perhaps this is something I can work with :')

Even though you can draw an exhibit item instead of a unique item, you can't shop for exhibit items in the curiosity shoppe because they don't have a dollar value for you to purchase them.

Could you post a link for those of us who still can't find it?

Thanks.

Yeah, I know John, I edited my post as you were responding, it seems. I noticed another bonus in getting extra clue tokens (they should swarm the map, almost as good as playing with Nodens). Rumors are going to be a bit of a ***** :' and double movement in Dunwich could get really problematic, really fast. I'd say that taking down Dunwich gates are a number one priority. You don't want the DH out in a game were it can have double movement ;'D On the other hand... With double cluetokens and a few good exhibit items, you might have a pretty good shot at killing it (I'm thinking scales of thoth or chime of ra with Mandy).

Nevermind I found it too. For anyone else looking for it, it is under community, and then support, not product and league.

The group I play with tried ti last night and it pretty much sucked, mainly because we were playing it according to what seems to be the intent, as opposed to what's actually written on the scenario sheet: First card: Open gate, place monster. Second Card: Open gate, place monster, clue token, move monsters, card effects. Just as if you'd already failed the Great Ritual rumor. We at least mildly botched the strategy, but we never really had a chance to go fo Exhibit Items, and Dunwich got ignored, as nothing at all happened there. Kingsport did its usual job of pulling an Investigator in and rendering him irrevelant for the duration of the game (at least until Final Battle). I presume we'll try the scenario again--the only other one we've had to do that with was Masquerade Party, and that was just that we had some Investigators get eaten, so we tried it again to se if we could avoid that.

I wasn't too thrilled with it, overall, but then I'm pretty much the exception in not really liking Kingsport much--I think the only worthwhile element in the expansion is the Epic Final Battle ruleset and am convinced it's the way the Final Battle should have been from the beginning.

prabe said:

The group I play with tried ti last night and it pretty much sucked, mainly because we were playing it according to what seems to be the intent, as opposed to what's actually written on the scenario sheet: First card: Open gate, place monster. Second Card: Open gate, place monster, clue token, move monsters, card effects. Just as if you'd already failed the Great Ritual rumor. We at least mildly botched the strategy, but we never really had a chance to go fo Exhibit Items, and Dunwich got ignored, as nothing at all happened there. Kingsport did its usual job of pulling an Investigator in and rendering him irrevelant for the duration of the game (at least until Final Battle). I presume we'll try the scenario again--the only other one we've had to do that with was Masquerade Party, and that was just that we had some Investigators get eaten, so we tried it again to se if we could avoid that.

I wasn't too thrilled with it, overall, but then I'm pretty much the exception in not really liking Kingsport much--I think the only worthwhile element in the expansion is the Epic Final Battle ruleset and am convinced it's the way the Final Battle should have been from the beginning.

Um... I have no idea why you think it would be the intent of the scenario to have double gates opening per turn. If it was, JR could've just said, every turn draw two cards during the mythos phase, and left it at that. Instead it says, "Each turn draw and resolve 2 Mythos cards. Only open the gate listed
on the first Mythos card." As things are with double monster movement and double rifts (not to mention the herald), the scenario's still fairly challenging.

It could also mean: "Each turn draw and resolve 2 Mythos Cards. On the first Mythos Card, only open the gate listed."

I suppose it depends on whether you think the idea of the scenario is to ramp up rifts (double monster movement) or to turn the King in Yellow Herald into a true harbinger of doom (We had something like five Yellow SIgn tokens, and tons more monster surges) and make the game overall harder. The way we played it is, as I stated, the way you play if you fail The Great Ritual, and it's also one of the original suggestions from back in the day to make the game harder, back before there were expansions to kick you repatedly in the teeth until you looked like a fifty-year-old hockey player with no dental insurance.

Basically, it's about as well-written as the rest of the scenarios in the league have been. We'll try it again in a couple weeks--hopefully by then there will be the requisite clarifications posted. I hope so, as the way everyone seems to be playing it looks at least a little easier.

I agree with Avi_dreader on the interpretation of the "draw and resolve 2 Mythos cards..." You draw the first card, and resolve everything on it. Then you draw the second card, and resolve everything except the gate on it. Our first 2 cards were both "place 2 monsters..." cards; so we had 6 monsters in play during the first turn (and a monster limit of 8).

I just tried this scenario with Lily Chen, Mandy Thompson, Tony Morgan and Luke Robinson. Got my arse well and truly whupped. :-)

It didn't help that I drew 2 copies of The Next Act Begins in the first two turns. I was kinda nervous about letting it go so early as I had no Elder Signs in play at that stage so I let them both add two Doom Tokens. Then I got a rumour to roll a dice every turn a add a doom token on a 1 or a 2. By the time Cthulhu woke up, only 5 gates had actually opened all game ... :-)

prabe said:

It could also mean: "Each turn draw and resolve 2 Mythos Cards. On the first Mythos Card, only open the gate listed."

I suppose it depends on whether you think the idea of the scenario is to ramp up rifts (double monster movement) or to turn the King in Yellow Herald into a true harbinger of doom (We had something like five Yellow SIgn tokens, and tons more monster surges) and make the game overall harder. The way we played it is, as I stated, the way you play if you fail The Great Ritual, and it's also one of the original suggestions from back in the day to make the game harder, back before there were expansions to kick you repatedly in the teeth until you looked like a fifty-year-old hockey player with no dental insurance.

Basically, it's about as well-written as the rest of the scenarios in the league have been. We'll try it again in a couple weeks--hopefully by then there will be the requisite clarifications posted. I hope so, as the way everyone seems to be playing it looks at least a little easier.

The two phrases, "On the first Mythos card, only open the gate listed." and "Only open the gate listed on the first Mythos card." mean very different things. Thanks English language for being so difficult.

I'm pretty sure that the intent of the phrase is to be able to incorporate more of the elements from all the expansions, since one of the main complaints about the game is that when mixing all the expansions together it dilutes the game. The way it is phrased really means to only open one gate per Mythos phase. The horrible thing about prepositional phrases is that they make sentences mean very different things when moved around. Being that the phrase is where it is, the sentence means to only open one gate per turn.

It's like the old sentence, "The man went out to get the newspaper in his pajamas."

Hmm, looks like I was wrong about our monster limit. It should have been 7. Oh well, we ended up abandoning that game anyways. We usually don't play with all the expansions, so I did not realize there were special rules for using all three boards at the same time (treat the group as if it were one investigator less). For anyone else who missed it, see Kingsport rules page 6, under "Combining Multiple Expansions".

is there an official faq for the scenarios somewhere?

txs a lot ! should have found that one by myself though sad.gif

moekel said:

txs a lot ! should have found that one by myself though sad.gif

You're using too much Luck. You need to adjust your sliders so you'll have more Lore partido_risa.gif .

Well, that sucked.

This is the first scenario that really kicked our butt. With one explorer doing nothing but keeping rifts from opening and one hunting monsters exclusively, we had three explorers trying to seal the gates. Twice we had our gate levels rise to 5 only to get them back down to a more manageable level, only to have cthulhu wake up anyway. The final battle went as well as could be expected and Cthulhu was down to 5 doom tokens when he used our weapons as toothpicks.

We'll try again, but boy is this tough.

Bad Dog said:

I agree with Avi_dreader on the interpretation of the "draw and resolve 2 Mythos cards..." You draw the first card, and resolve everything on it. Then you draw the second card, and resolve everything except the gate on it. Our first 2 cards were both "place 2 monsters..." cards; so we had 6 monsters in play during the first turn (and a monster limit of 8).

If your talking about Place 2 Monsters in X street they don't stay there. Only Monsters from Gates.

MrsGamura said:

If your talking about Place 2 Monsters in X street they don't stay there. Only Monsters from Gates.

sorpresa.gif

Excuse me??? You mean when you draw a card that says "2 monsters appear at Merchant District Streets", you just place them and then take them off again? What's the point of those monsters being placed in your opinion then?

MrsGamura said:

Bad Dog said:

It's only monsters appearing from (location/gate) encounter cards that disappear again after the encounter.