Deathwatch Character Sheet Generator

By Tricky110974, in Deathwatch

New version available: v04r3_20110602

Fixed:

• Skill Groups - now printing; character saved under release 2 may need to be recreated if you want to use the alternative sheet. Check your character to see if Skill Groups are showing correctly.
  • Paper Size - code changed again to try and get different paper sizes printing correctly.

New:

• Front-end changed - now there's a control page and separate printing pages. Use the Print button to view 2 pages (and to allow for duplex/2-sided printing).

New version: v04r4_20110603

New:

• Reset Option - when the reset button is clicked on the form (not the Clear Character button on the Control sheet), you are now asked if you would like to keep you Characteristic scores. This was a request and allows you to undo everything but your scores if, for example, you used the random method and fell lucky!

I know I've asked it before, and I don't want to be a bother, I know how much time and effort you've spent. Is there any chance you could list the effects of Talents/Traits on the sheet? For easy reference for those who don't have a rulebook.

Cheers.

Surgeon said:

I know I've asked it before, and I don't want to be a bother, I know how much time and effort you've spent. Is there any chance you could list the effects of Talents/Traits on the sheet? For easy reference for those who don't have a rulebook.

Cheers.

I will look into showing short descriptions, i.e. those from the tables over the coming week. Shouldn't expect it to be too difficult, just the time required to actually type all the text...

New version: v04r5_20110605

New:

• Effects of Talents/Traits now shown on alternative print sheet. This has limited the maximum number of Talents/Traits to 46 and because of the amount of text, some print in a really small font size, so you'll have to let me know what you think.
    One thought that I've had, is to create a 3rd page (for the alternative print) just to create more space.

here is another thing i noticed. the signiture(master) doesn't show when they rank hits 2

New release: v04r6_20110605

Fixed:

• Signature Wargear (Master) Talent - the prerequisites are now determined correctly and so shows on Space Marine Advances at Rank 2. Note that there is still no validation on what equipment can be selected and so you will need to be honest and only choose an item you are allowed to.

New release: v04r7_20110606

Fixed:

• Talent effects - now print correctly on alternative sheet (page 2).
  • When choosing a Signature Wargear item, if you close the list without choosing, your Advance choice is negated.

New:

• Load Function - now checks release as well as version and updates character if needed.

Feedback from my party:

• Type: Visual. Importance: None. The skill's group families are not black at the alternative sheet 1, eg Adeptus Astartes group under Common Lore Skill. We used a black pen to colour them :)
  • Type: Class. Importance: Medium. Techmarine's ability "Blessed by Omnissiah" [pg89] should add the "Mechanicus Implants" trait and the "Electro Graft Use" & "Mechadendrite Use (Servo Arms)" talents. In addition, "Electro Graft Use" should be removed from the Deathwatch available advances, same way as "Speak Language (Techna-Lingua)" skill was.
  • Type: Item Talent. Importance: Super High! The GM's wife has "acquired" a thunder hammer ;) Power fist [pg154] and Thunderhammer [errata pg3] increase Strength multiplier by one. In order to correct the SB at melee weapons' damage, it could be easy to add the "Unnatural Strength x2" trait when equipping these items.
  • Type: Item bonus. Importance: Low. Storm Wardens' "Amulet of Might" Chapter trapping, should add +2 to Strength (yeah right, put it in the wish list with the armour's ability bonuses). All item bonus issues could be solved by making Equipment Ability column editable, or with adding an editable "custom" column after deeds.

Last request: Don't upload different version every day! We do not have enough time to test 'em... ;)

Thank you...

New release: v04r8_20110607 (this could be the last for a while, following KoRnio request)

Fixed:

• Possible error when closing pop-up selection dialog.

KnRnio - I will look into all the points you have made.

The mass of updates is because this has been a work in progress, but I was starting to think that maybe it's time to say this is a beta release and see how things go. Are there opinions as to how often the sheet should be updated; weekly, monthly, when an error is fixed?

Actually I was trying to say with a fun way that I admire your dedication to the project, and thank you for the hard and totally professional work, and the time you spend daily for this project. Under no circumstances am I in position to tell you when and how to work. I'm sorry if I offended you, it was unintentional.

New rank 1 characters are created nicely, with only polishing details remaining. So I guess you can call it beta, and categorize fixes to major and minor based on importance. You could update when you have a major, or lots of minor fixes (all my feedback is minor at best). That's what I would do. Ofcourse that depends on the amount of feedback you receive. My party is gathering biweekly (at best), so apart from new characters' creation, it will take us a while to provide you advanced ranks feedback.

Thanx!

No offense taken at all.

Fixed all issues raised.

Will upload in a couple of days unless people want the new release earlier.

I can't help it! ;-)

New release: v04r9_20110608

Fixed:

• Skill Groups - alternative sheet is now printing correctly
  • Techmarine Special Ability - bonus trait and talents now added
  • Power Fist and Thunder Hammer - Strength multiplier increased by 1 if either are equipped. Note that it does not increase by 2 if both are equipped. I will await someone to correct me if this is wrong. (KoRnio: Hope this makes the GM's wife happy!)
  • Amulet of Might - now adds +2 to Strength. This is applied after the multiplier

New:

• Distinctions - A new function of the Deeds (now Deeds, Distinctions) tab. If your GM offers your character a distinction, then you can now enter it. Provide and the name and select the Mark(s).

Power Armour Bonus - these are little more complicated (other than the +20 Strength and increased Move, which are already included) because they are based on PA History and so many are conditional. I haven't forgot about them, just still trying to think of the best way to implement them and how to technically achieve it. This is the same with other element (Cybernetics adds to Toughness on certain locations, Special Ammo modifies weapon stats). These really are the 'bells and whistles', and I certainly want them in the tool. Just keep watching the updates and hopefully soon, these will appear.

As a little more background, I have little (none) professional programming skills and so this little project is probably more complicated than it needs to be sometimes. Although I seem to be getting things working, believe me, I'm sure I've had to go the long way around sometimes. Each day I generally come upon an idea on how to improve the code and I really would like to tidy a lot of it up. Just one of the reasons why there are so many updates, and why I'm still challenged by the PA History - I do have an idea, but it means a lot of code rewriting, which will be worth it in the long run, just a little daunting right now.

Glad that people are finding a use for the tool and grateful for all feedback.

Tricky110974 said:

(KoRnio: Hope this makes the GM's wife happy!)

My party, our GM and me are in your dept!

aplauso.gif

Demolition costs 400, Not 200

And I think Weakness as Strength only cost 400 when it should cost 750

Update available: v04r10_20110610

Fixed:

• Space Marine Advance - Demolition now costs 400 XP
  • Distinctions - Marks now have correct costs

Tunnelhckrat - Thanks for finding these errors.

Awesome job! My hat off to your sir!

Update available: v04r11_20110614

New:

• Dreadnaught - Characteristics (Strength, Toughness and Agility) and Wounds are now reduced and Advances are limited.

Agragor said:

Awesome job! My hat off to your sir!

Many thanks for your praise. Glad you like it.

Awesome job, said it before will keep saying it!

Small thing, big problem...

While making a Librarian I selected the Epistolary Specialty and got stuck on a selection of force weapon where no choices were shown and the close button was disabled, had to close excell via Task Manager.

Thx,

Isidro

Update available: v04r12_20110615

Fixed:

• Advanced Specialties Equipment Selection - You should now see a list of options as expected.

If you ever get a chance for user input on chapter specifics that would be great for those (like me) that use Rites of Battle to roll up our own chapters. Thanks for the tool; it's pretty cool.

rcsob657 said:

If you ever get a chance for user input on chapter specifics that would be great for those (like me) that use Rites of Battle to roll up our own chapters. Thanks for the tool; it's pretty cool.

I'm working on that right now. Got a busy 'real' life for the next couple of weeks, but hope to have something soon. Watch this space...

I've uploaded a random 'Chapter Creator'. This is just a by-product of the custom chapter function of the character generator tool.

Have fun...