The Game End

By amikezor, in Fan Creations

As perhaps several players on this forum, I dislike how the game ends. It is either right in the middle of the action (i.e. the sixth seal) and therefore a bit frustrating or even worst concludes with a hundred a dice rolls that are blows against a gigantic unspeakable god (i.e. the so-called final battle). I think the goal of such a rich game is even not satisfying since it focus either on clues only (for seals) or on weapons and offensive spells (for the final battle) with which several investigators are not good at.

Therefore, I have been working on a new game end that 1/ is always paroxystic 2/ where all investigators can help and 3/ that difficulty highly depends on how investigators handle the game in most of its aspects (ie. terror, possessions, gates, seals, etc).

It plays in 10-15 minutes when the game enters the Final Phase. Obviously, it required some improvements on the wording, though the mechanics seems to work pretty well (as far as I tested so far) and gave much more satisfaction than the usual end (at least to my gaming group). So here it is, all comments welcome:

FinalPhase1.jpg

FinalPhase2.jpg

FinalPhase3.jpg

I think I need to take another look at this in the morning when I'm not exhausted... Looks potentially interesting, but I'm having problems understanding parts of it... Will look at it again when rested.

Well, please do so. Any help on the wording would be more than welcome. I know that the language can make it difficult to get the meaning. The basic idea is to change the end, which I find really boring (well compared to the game) into something quick, exciting and easy to play with.

Okay, now I understand it. It's fairly interesting, unfortunately I'm not going to play it because I hate printing out those sorts of things ;') I might if there were some way of playing it with 11 chapters (I could replace the locations with a printout page and locations numbered 2-12 and determine which chapters are open by die rolls.

If you remind me in about three weeks to a month, I'll help you edit this. I'm very busy setting up my new apartment (and exhausted), so I need a bit of time before editing something so large.

I'd probably dump Money Buy Happiness. Or alter it so it costs quite a bit more.

Thank you Avi for the feedback. I could try to make it on a single sheet, though it would be less pretty. I'll think about it.

I'll remind you in 3 weeks or so then :-)

Finally, someone on BGG helped me with the wording. It should now be ready to play now.

Please everyone, try it out. it is fun. gui%C3%B1o.gif

well, there is this thing about the delay in updating on photobucket. intriguing, isn't it ?

amikezor said:

Thank you Avi for the feedback. I could try to make it on a single sheet, though it would be less pretty. I'll think about it.

Less pretty for those who would print out the components and cut around them ;') more pretty for me (and possibly a few others who are squeamish about printing irregular shapes (non-euclidean! non-euclidean!).

One note: the third end condition is incorrect, I think: for a Closing victory, don't you have to have all gates closed and trophies equal to the number of investigators plus one ? You just have them having trophies equal to the number of investigators.

I do like this conceptually.

When the "Hideous Plot" chapter happens...how is it "closed?" Or is it just discarded once used without being considered "closed"?

Avi_dreader said:

amikezor said:

Less pretty for those who would print out the components and cut around them ;') more pretty for me (and possibly a few others who are squeamish about printing irregular shapes (non-euclidean! non-euclidean!).

Ah ah !!! I asked him why he didn't use classic myth or encounter cards :D I was even thinking of doing my own version with rectangular shape. (okay not exactly rectangular cause of rounded corner, but far easier to cut)

Sdrolion said:

One note: the third end condition is incorrect, I think: for a Closing victory, don't you have to have all gates closed and trophies equal to the number of investigators plus one ? You just have them having trophies equal to the number of investigators.

Nope, it's enough if you have trophies equal to the number of investigators in play

Sdrolion said:

When the "Hideous Plot" chapter happens...how is it "closed?" Or is it just discarded once used without being considered "closed"?

I think he forgot some words. You should read:

"Special : draw and resolve a plot card from the Ancient One , then close that chapter. The next attack of the Ancient One..."

According to the original french version.

Julia said:

Sdrolion said:

Nope, it's enough if you have trophies equal to the number of investigators in play

O_O Where did I get that from, then? O_O

@ Amikezor: I think it's an interesting way of changing the end of the game. I can't say anything about it at this moment, but I'll give it a try asap, probably this sunday (at the moment, I have two games scheduled, Cthulhu revised + Mother Hydra or Avi's league Scenario 8; don't know which one to play first. In case I'll go with Cthulhu, I'll try your varian and post a comment thereafter)

Julia said:

@ Amikezor: I think it's an interesting way of changing the end of the game. I can't say anything about it at this moment, but I'll give it a try asap, probably this sunday (at the moment, I have two games scheduled, Cthulhu revised + Mother Hydra or Avi's league Scenario 8; don't know which one to play first. In case I'll go with Cthulhu, I'll try your varian and post a comment thereafter)

Eep. I better post scenario nine this week.

Avi_dreader said:

No rush. Scenario 8 can require an extra session, and probably I'll play Cthulhu first. Go on with the things you have to do. In case I desperately need a new Scenario, I'll ask you!

Sdrolion said:

wow, see how many post. I am glad you discuss this guys. I think it is fun to play (I won't play without anymore :-).

Right, as Hugues posted, it should be read "draw and resolve a plot to close this chapter". I will correct this asap.

thank you for the positive feedback.

Hugues said:

Avi_dreader said:

Ah ah !!! I asked him why he didn't use classic myth or encounter cards :D I was even thinking of doing my own version with rectangular shape. (okay not exactly rectangular cause of rounded corner, but far easier to cut)

happy.gif . Well, OK. I will keep the locations but add squares around them to make the cut easy. it did not look so nice on a card. Plus, I cut all the chapters in less than 10 minutes, so it is not that bad. BUT OK. I'll add the squares on the next version (the one without the hideous plot typo).

Julia said:

great. Please do so. I'll be very happy to have some more feedback.

Updated. Removed the typo on hideous plot and add a background so that you can cut them the way you like and they remain pretty (no more horror check is required to cut them :-)

--just wait for photobucket to update the files...--

amikezor said:

Updated. Removed the typo on hideous plot and add a background so that you can cut them the way you like and they remain pretty (no more horror check is required to cut them :-)

just wait for photobucket to update the files...

I still won't use it, but it's definitely an improvement for other less finicky finicky players ;')

Avi_dreader said:

I still won't use it, but it's definitely an improvement for other less finicky finicky players ;')

Are you scissorsophobe ? ;o))

Julia said:

Avi_dreader said:

No rush. Scenario 8 can require an extra session, and probably I'll play Cthulhu first. Go on with the things you have to do. In case I desperately need a new Scenario, I'll ask you!

::Laughter:: and you know I'd do it overnight (or overday) if asked.

amikezor said:

Avi_dreader said:

Are you scissorsophobe ? ;o))

I have even drawn the madness cards that don't exist yet.