What planes do you want to see in miniature serie 4?

By Pour Le Merite, in Wings of War (WWI)

Right now we have serie 1:

Spad XIII

Sopwith camel

Albatross DVa

Fokker DrI

Serie 2:

Fokker DVII

Sopwith snipe

Roland CII

DH4

Serie 3:

Nieuport 17

Nieuport 23

Albatross DIII

UFAG CI

RE8

Those plains are among the most important planes of WW1 but some of the planes are a bit odd to me, and they still miss a lot of the most important ones. Here are the plains I want to see in the future:

Germany: Fokker EI or EIII, Halberstadt CLII, Pfalz DIII, Siemens - schuckert DIII

English: DH2, Sophwith 1 1/2 Strutter (preferably the 2 seater), Sopwith Triplane, SE5

French: Nieuport 11 & 28

Italy: Ansaldo SVA5

These planes did a big differense and while other ones are intresting too like the Fokker DIII (Boelcke flew one, and Richthofen) and but most of those did little real impact on the war, well, ok Fokker DIII is something I vote for serie 5 :) .

What do you guys think? Which planes should be the next ones?

Germany: Halberstadt CLII, Pfalz DIII

English: Sophwith 1 1/2 Strutter (preferably the 2 seater), SE5

Saw this over of Boardgamegeek and it may answer your questions of whats likely to be in the Series 4 minis.

R.A.F. SE5a Lieutenant Colonel William Avery Bishop 85 Squadron Royal Flying Corps
R.A.F. SE5a Major Roderic Stanley Dallas 40 Squadron Royal Flying Corps
R.A.F. SE5a Joseph E. Boudwin 25th Aero Squadron United States Air Service

Pfalz D.III Leutnant Fritz Höhn Jasta 21s Luftstreitskräfte
Pfalz D.III Leutnant Hans Klein Jasta 10 Luftstreitskräfte
Pfalz D.IIIa Vizefeldwebel Max Hotlzem Jasta 16b Luftstreitskräfte

Breguet BR.14 B2 - BR 107 Aviation Militaire
Breguet BR.14 B2 - BR 129 Aviation Militaire
Breguet BR.14 B2 - 96th Squadron American Expeditionary Force

Rumpler C.IV-VII to be defined

Then I'd like to feature Sopwith Triplane and Hanriots soon, but a set of early planes (E.III and Halberdstadt D.III against Morane Saulnier and Airco DH2) could be great too...

If you want to read the whole thread, follow this link

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/354821

I WANT MY HANRIOT HD.1, DANG IT! :)

[shuffles around the room huffing and puffing like Marvin the Martian...]

Thanks, aarondpjames. Yeah a 1916 expansion for the game would be great, right now the only early plane is Roland CII. I think Sopwith Pup would have to be added too in that case however, it was widely used.

Well, no really big suprises in set 4 then.

I still want to see repaints of the classic iconic planes.. :)

But a Pfalz would be real nice.

lingster said:

I still want to see repaints of the classic iconic planes.. :)

But a Pfalz would be real nice.

Why? Just paint them in another pattern yourself. You could also buy a £4 tin plane of the same kind from Skytrex.com and paint that one, you already have the cards and everything. Painting isn't really that hard if you have the model and the cards, there are more here than me who do it.

New planes are a lot more fun instead. :)

There are several pictures of WoW repainted planes around and it seems to work finely:

http://dmchodge.blogspot.com/search/label/Wings%20of%20War

Dom's Decal makes even some fine sheet of (unofficial) decals for our range:

https://sslrelay.com/www.domsdecals.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154968de78e375e/shopdata/index.shopscript

There are several sheets of national insigna for all the main warring nation of WWI. Besides, there are great sheets of decal to make full squadrons: with these you can for example buy several WoW Rahn's Fokker Dr.I, up to 12 of them, and make another 12 planes of his same unit, Jasta 19. Other sheets are for Jasta 15 D.VII and Jasta 37 Albatros D.Va. Sheets for Sopwith Snipes and Nieuport 17s will soon be released too.

J37a-640_640x275.jpg

Wow nice paint job :D

Decals is actually easiest bought from here: www.skytrex.com/ Decals enough for 3 planes costs £3. They also have tin planes for £4 that you can mount on the original stand easy, perfect for the planes not made yet.

I really want a pack with unpainted planes and decals (and cards of course) for Wow, the pre painted planes are nice but I want my Aces to play with their own planes, particulary the german ones.

I want to see .... BIG BAD BOMBERS ....

cheers

As I have said elseware I would like to see an SE5a. but concur with others that a Sopworth tripehound would be good, Yes! Some great big bombers,

Flying Officer Kyte said:

....Yes! Some great big bombers,

Gotha - GOTHA!!!

Why wait, just put together your own.

www.boardgamegeek.com/image/413969

This links to the pictures and info concerning my gotha on BGG. I'm working on a second right now, for 2 plane raids.

working on my first Skytrex Gotha right now !!!

Anyone ever found a Caproni from SRAM ?

If you havn't put the wing struts in already I'd recomend using steel or brass rod. I use .75mm steel. It may seem like overkill, but it makes the mini heaps stronger. Which is kind of important if it is to be a gaming piece. The best trick I found to make sure you get the lenght right is to still use 2 of the struts you get with the kit, and build your steel/brass ones around those.

Thanks for the info but the struts are already in place. I bought a pack of 3 so i'll keep it in mind when I start on the second one.

To me the struts seem strong enough as there are 14 in all (long ones) and i don't know if square rods are available. I will have a problem with the short ones as the predrilled holes in the upper wing do not align perfectly with the engines. I guess i'll have to drill new holes after I install the upper wing and i think i will use steel rod for those. It will be easier to work with as i can insert the new rod through the upper wing and clip and file the excess off once they are glued in place. (fingers crossed as this will be tricky).

Right now i'm painting the model without the upper wing and wheels, as I felt the details on the engines would be difficult to reach with the upper wing installed.

To be honest, the undercarriage and wheels look much more fragile to me than the wing struts. I intend to install these last.

Anyway thanks for the advice. Btw, are any decals available for these models apart from the crosses supplied with the kit ?

Cheers

The numbers I used on the gothas are from the 40k imperial guard transfer sheet. They look about right, and since my colour scheme isn't quite right anyway I wasn't too worried. I worked off a discription given to me by a friend over the telephone, before I'd seen the picture. Didn't do to badly, but I mixed up were the white and yellow went. sonrojado.gif My second gotha is going to get the same scheme, but with different numbers, and a few variations. But I'll keep the white and yellow the wrong way round, the first mini has done so well in all the games it has been in it would probably be bad luck to change its sqadron colours now.

Dito on the holes for the struts around the engines, I had exactly the same problem on both my gothas. And you're right about the undercarriage, it sure does look rickety. Apart from the odd photo, mine goes straight from its transport box, to its flight stand. I don't want to push my luck with its undercarriage.

On the topic of the thread, I'm glad to see that the SE5a is going to be part of series 4.

I am ever hopeful for the Siemens-Schuckert D.III or D.IV (despite the fact that it was rare and late war), just because I like the design! gran_risa.gif

i would like to see the sopwith triplane,se5a,bristol fighter,sopwith pup,a brit nieuport 17 &11,a german sopwith camel,a german or turk nieuport 17 or 11,fokker e111,a brit spad ,yank sopwith camel,a yank se5a,a yank nieuport 28,maybe a handley page 0/100 or 0/400 or a gotha a turk albatros or fokker e111 or D7,pfaltz D111.

All the planes above would be great, but as long as we're making a "wish list" here's mine:

Early war: Vickers 'Gunbus', RAF BE2, Albatros C.III, Albatros D.I/D.II

Late war: Fokker E.V/D.VIII "Razor', Morane-Saulnier A.I., Sopwith 'Dolphin'

Gotha

Gotha

Gotha

Gotha

Gotha

It's nice to have a wish list but i think we should take a closer look to what might enhance the game.

Personally i think that we have enough fighter and observation planes at the moment. What is lacking are early war planes. So I think a Fokker E and a DH2 would be a nice addition.

Also, and i know i'm repeating myself, i would like to see bombers. In the long range the Gotha IV and a Caproni Ca-3 (which can be used on the Italian and the western front). And 2 intermediate bombers.

If we are going to wish for bombers we should wish for BIG bombers. Bring on the Zepplin Staaken, or the Handley Page 1500.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3148361#3148361

I'll double post it - as I would noted Boardgamegeek - two additions a pilot and a plane:

1. Indra Lal Roy - The Ace who was born in India, yet when the War broke out joined the Royal Flying Corps.

2. How about the Aviatik D.I for the Austrians? Although, I would love to see one of the sea planes used by Frieherr v. Banfield - which Andrea shared with us earlier...and which sent me to purchase yet another OSPREY book on WWI Aviation.

R

an early war set would be nice say a avro 504,DH2,nieuport 11,a taube,eindecker,alboros D1/D11,