Home Brew Powers-- a dedicated thread

By Saizo, in Cosmic Encounter - Fan Variants

WIN-WIN [Optional] Allies with Both Main Players

You have the power to be indecisive . As an ally, after allies are invited, you may use this power and choose to ally with both the offence and the defense. This power only applies if you are invited by both main players.

Wild Flare: After encounter cards are revealed, use this flare to switch side and ally with the other main player. The ships' value is still added to the side you left.

Super Flare: After encounter cards are revealed, use this flare to move all your ships in the encounter to the side of one of the main players. The value of the ships is then recalculated.

That's basically the same as the Lunatic/Hypocrite/something else alien that does the same double alliance thing. It been done to death, but should be implemented at some point with the super flare ability to ally against self as a main player.

I was thinking about how we have two powers named MIND and WILL. Well I will attempt to complete the set by taking every other invisible faculty of humanity and making a power out of them, including EMOTION, CONSCIENCE, INTUITION, and COMMUNION.

Jack if you are reading this and you have time please change the name of my race named "Pure" and rename them "Conscience" and all that mentions their name in the description.

For now I only offer "Emotion".

EMOTION [M:FFGfo] . Christopher Oliveira

You have the power to Feel. Your emotions begin neutral as shown by having no tokens. When ever you lose an encounter as a main player or an ally add a "negative" token to your power card. Whenever you win an encounter as a main player or an ally add a "positive" token to your power card. You must take off a negative token and a positive token of your power card together since they negate each other. After alliances are made but before encounter cards are revealed use this power to force your main opponent to discard as many cards at random from his hand and/or remove as many ships of his choice from his colonies to the Warp as you have negative tokens. If your opponent discards all his encounter cards as such you win the encounter. If you have only positive tokens while using your power then you may discard as many cards from your own hand and draw new ones from the deck and/or take as many of your ships from the Warp to your colonies as you have in positive tokens.

Notes: The recommended experience level for this power is Advanced. This is a Combat type power.

History: The Emotion are an unstable and often volatile race. They are known for being able to rapidly shift from profound positivity and peaceful will to outright rage and murderous intentions. Great care must be taken when encountering these beings, because for sure they will react to their interactions in the most extreme of ways.

Wild: When you are a main player an encounter after alliances but before encounter cards are played, use this card to either make your opponent discard 3 cards at random, or you gain 3 cards from the deck. If your opponent now has no encounter cards, you win the encounter. Give this flare to the Emotion Player. If there is no such player, discard it.

Super: When using your power you may effect all allied opposes players with its negative use or all your allies with its positive use.

ANTENNA [O:TG] Directs Other Players’ Ships

You have the power to scramble . Whenever another player launches ships, you may use this power to choose which colonies the ships come from. The ships’ owner decides how many ships to launch as usual. You may not vacate a colony unless there is no other choice.

Whenever another player returns ships to colonies, you may use this power to choose where the ships go.

History: Masters of interception, the Antennas have long ago perfected the art of editing a transmission en route to its target. Indeed, it brings them great joy to watch their enemies rush around in confusion, heeding orders never given.

Wild: As any player, before the offense retrieves a ship from the warp, you may force all players to mix their hands together. You then look through the pile and select an amount of cards equal to the number of cards you started with, minus this flare. All other players then retrieve cards at random, keeping their previous hand sizes. After using this flare, give it to Antenna. If Antenna is not playing, discard this flare to use it.

Super: You may use your power to choose which of another player’s ships get sent to the warp. This flare supersedes powers. A conflict with another flare is resolved by discussion.

This is an Advanced and Rules power.

Comments: Inspired by the Antenna Beetle from Pikmin 2, this guy basically moves your ships around for you. He can't normally pick which ships to kill off, though.

BULLSEYE [O:TG] Closest To Target Wins

You have the power of finesse . As a main player, before encounter cards are selected, you may use this power. Draw a card from the deck. If it is not an attack card, place it on the bottom of the deck and draw again until an attack card is drawn. Reveal the attack card. If the attack card is less than 10, you may choose to add 10 to it. This is the target number. Whoever’s total is closest to the target number wins the encounter.If both totals are the same distance away from the target number, the defense wins (as if the encounter were a tie).

History: Marksmen of the highest degree, even the least skilled of Bullseyes can pierce the center of a target from fifty meters away. With such accuracy, they are deadly sure they will strike the center of the cosmos.

Wild: As a main player, if your attack card is two or less away from your opponent’s attack card, you win the encounter.

Super: Instead of drawing an attack card from the deck, you may state any target number you wish.

This is an Advanced and Combat power.

Comments: So if Bullseye draws a 06 as the target, and he decides to add 10 to it, then whoever's total is closer to 16 wins the encounter. Really messes up extreme-total powers such as Virus and Anti-Matter.

RAINBOW [M:TG] Wins With Others

You have the power of unity . If you lose an encounter as the defense, and this loss causes one or more players to win the game, use this power to win the game with them.

History: Soaring through space as nothing more than cloronic energy, the benevolent Rainbows have long been a source of goodwill. While they certainly don’t abolish the chance the rule the cosmos, they wholeheartedly embrace the possibility of all races living together.

Wild: As the defense, before cards are chosen, you may allow all offensive ships to land on your planet. You lose no ships and the encounter ends as a win for the offense.

Super: You may use your power as a defensive ally.

This is a Novice and Rules power.

Comments: "Should I win this encounter to get a shared win or lose and try a later encounter for a solo win?" Such are the questions that Rainbow's opponents will ask. And yes, Rainbow can cause all players to win the game.

Rainbow is a neat idea, but I would think it would be very boring to play, especially since it will very rarely if ever be used or even threatened to use. I think it should have some other facet to the power or perhaps it should be a flare or tech.

While it would certainly be one of the most outlandish powers in the game, it might be funny to have a power that automatically wins with the winning player(s) as long as it has power and isn't zapped, whether you are the losing defensive player or not. It'd be more of a goofy, Look-at-how-silly-this-alien-is type of alien, like Human, but it would change the way the game is played because everyone would be trying to make you lose power all game and when they want to use zaps on other aliens, it would be quite the dilemma. :)

Bullseye is pretty fabulous.

Toomai said:

BULLSEYE [O:TG] Closest To Target Wins

Comments: So if Bullseye draws a 06 as the target, and he decides to add 10 to it, then whoever's total is closer to 16 wins the encounter. Really messes up extreme-total powers such as Virus and Anti-Matter.

This is a question I'm sure a lot of new players (and myself) have - when two aliens with "Win calculation alteration" powers square off - such as Anti-Matter and Bullseye, in this case - whose condition takes precedence? I would imagine that the FFG rules apply, giving the offense the honors.

Just how many "win calculation alteration" powers exist, currently? (Note that Loser and Pacifist are not WCA powers - Loser simply swaps the word "win" with "lose" in the resolution, while Pacifist's power doesn't factor into calculations - it must play N vs an Attack to trigger.) A WCA is any power where the bold part of the phrase "When calculating the results of an Attack vs Attack, the side with the higher total wins, with ties going to the defense " is altered.

Powers like Virus, Macron, Reserve, Mirror, Chosen, Human, Tripler, etc. only serve to modify the combat values used in the determination of a win, so they don't apply here.

The advent of WCA powers also should call for a revision of Spiff (who keys off the win calculation but doesn't alter it) to his original Mayfair text - "You lose by 10 or more" rather than "Your total is 10 or more less than the opponent". At least that's my opinion. It lets him keep his usefulness against Anti-Matter ("Your total is 10 higher than your opponent"), and against Bullseye, would be interpreted to be "Your total is 10 further away from the target number than your opponent".

PARAGON [M:FFGfo] Duels With Non-Encounter Cards. Christopher Oliveira

You have the power of Excellence. As a main player in an encounter, after alliances but before Encounter cards are selected, you may use this power so that both you and your main opponent must play Artifacts, Flares, and Reinforcements as Attack Cards. When using this power no Encounter Cards may be used. Artifacts count as an Attack 20, Flares as an attack 15, and Reinforcements as their stated value. Both players play one card at a time, starting with Artifacts, then Flares, then Reinforcements. The winner of the Encounter keeps all his played cards, and the loser of the encounter discards all his cards. Players may still Card Zap Artifacts and Flares played one either side and they are discarded as normal. If your opponent has no Artifacts, Flares, or Reinforcements, count his attack value aside form ships as Attack 00.

Artifact's and Flares can still be used as normal, but Artifacts will be discarded as normal if used as an Artifact and Flares cannot be used both as a Flare and an Attack 15 in the same encounter.

Notes: The recommended experience level for this power is Advanced . This is a Combat type power.

History: The Paragon have always been a bit on the perfectionist side. Desiring to have everything in order in the universe, they use their sense of self-accomplishment to warn "lesser" powers not contend with them. These tall beings use their unconventional amount of resources and trophies as their very weapons, inspiring unworthiness into the hearts of their enemies.

Wild: As a main player, after cards are revealed, you may discard an Artifact to add 15 to your side or you may discard a Flare to add 10 to your side.

Super: If you win an encounter, you now gain all of your opponent's discarded Artifacts, Flares, and Reinforcements played as Attack cards from the encounter.

If it affects both sides, how is this an advantage for the alien at all? If anything, I'd see it as a disadvantage because you'd be losing good flares and artifacts more often than anyone else while the others can store them for the occasional encounter against you.

Not only that, but I think if you make it possible for every single card to be played as an encounter card, you're taking a lot of fun out of the game because players are going to refrain from using these interesting interrupt cards in case they need them in an encounter.

Its an advantage because it is OPTIONAL. You would use it when you have tons of non-encounter cards for a sure victory.

As for the second point this power means you either don;t use it on your match and its straight up Encounter Cards, or you use it and it is a battle of NON-Encounter cards.

This requires skill on the Paragon player. Also Flare will be mainly unaffected, it is Artifacts that will suffer the most because they are discarded upon use.

This power is not weak at all, it just requires a non-newb playing it. Used right you are winning almost all your fights and striping your opponent of all his special cards.

I think Paragon deserved a day in court... see how it cooks up. Making it Optional is certainly key, so you have more "options".

GROCERY CLERK

You have the power to check out groceries for the other aliens if you want to. When another player gains cards, you can gain two. Additionally, you get +5 in every encounter. Furthermore, if someone wants to buy groceries, you can check them out. Also too, you automatically win the game when there are three cards left in the deck if you are upside-down at the time.

History: The Grocery Clerks work at grocery stores most of the time. They also try to conquer the galaxy occasionally.

Restriction: Do not use in a game with Virus, Amoeba, Changeling, Plant, Zilch, or any other alien in Cosmic Encounter.

Wild: You may shuffle the deck.

Super: You may shuffle the deck TWICE. Also, you don't have to be upside-down to automatically win the game.

Looking forward to seeing Grocery Clerk featured at The Warp!

"Curse you, Grocery Clerk! I will smash your colonies into pulp while you stand on your head!"

- Fruit Stand Man (power of produce)

lol

that is the best power ever. Here's the second best power:

FFG FORUM POWER SUGGESTER [M:FFGfo] Suggest Things To No Avail. Christopher Oliveira

You have the power of Being Shot Down. Once per Encounter in which you are a main player you may suggest you opponent to forfeit his power and become the power that you make up on the spot. When you are shot down, which you WILL BE, collect the whole discard pile and use this power to throw it at you opponent's face. You win the Encounter.

Wild: Throw the planets at him too, it's FUN!

Super: Throw the table at him. You win the game.

Genius! I'm adding it to my set. In fact, I'm going to add it to my set TWICE!

Here's an alien idea I've been brainstorming. Could certainly use some playtesting and finetuning, but I just wanted to toss the idea out here for second opinions. I wanted to make a Zilch-like alien since that is mostly uncharted territory in Homebrewania (I also seem to remember typing this up, though maybe I just didn't finish it and deleted it, so if I posted this elsewhere, sorry!).

WAITER

Game Set-up : You do not receive ships, planets, etc., and do not have a turn. You are not initially dealt any cards.

You have the power to wait . At the start of each turn, use this power to take the discard pile and add it to your hand. You cannot use cards from your hand (except your own flare), but may instead give any card(s) from your hand to any other player at any time and may not be refused. If at the start of any encounter you have attack cards whose face values add up to 200, use this power to win the game immediately. If at any time you are zapped, you retain your hand but may not give out cards for the rest of the encounter. At the end of the encounter if you do not have the use of your power, the discard is shuffled into the deck.

H istory: On their homeworld, the Waiters were dominated by a stronger race for ages and forced into subservience. Waiting on their masters' every need, the Waiters soon tired of this practice and hoped that with great patience, someday they would gain the power to overthrow their rulers -- and they did. Free to roam the cosmos now, they have learned that old habits die hard, and they continue to serve all whom they meet, but this race will continue to wait for a truly Cosmic tip, and then the Waiters will have their way.

Wild: You may look through the discard and/or the Waiter's hand and take up to five cards. Discard this card after use. This card may not be retrieved from discard by cards such as Finder or by any alien power other than Waiter.

Super: Before cards are played in an encounter, give this card to the attacker to end his turn. All ships in the hyperspace gate return to bases.

Notes: It maybe should have a DO NOT USE WITH TICK-TOCK restriction, but I understand there isn't a direct rules conflict here, so I didn't include it in the description above, and it hasn't been playtested so it's hard to say. Perhaps he can find a sympathetic alien to continually serve Cosmic Zaps.

The idea here is that Waiter waits in two ways: He awaits his 200, and he also "waits" upon the other aliens by serving them cards, ideally to influence play in a way that keeps the stragglers just powerful enough to prevent the leaders from winning before the Waiter's goal of 200.

Also, about the number 200, I took a quick glance through the deck, adding up all attacks (not reinforcements), and I ended up with a total of 400. I could be a bit off, but it was close enough to go by. Until I can try this out, I think half is a good goal. It may need to be boosted a bit. I thought about making it 300 and letting his super flare reduce the goal to 200, but I worry 300 might be too much in a game without flares (though seriously, who plays without flares, especially someone who'd be playing with homebrew aliens?). It's still something I am considering.

Oh, and the reason the flare is immune to Finder is that it could cause infinite loops where a player would be able to take every card from discard by repeatedly retrieving this flare. You'll also note that due to the timing, Vulch, Filch, Fido, and any other alien that collects cards before discard will still get their cards before Waiter.

Anyway, I'd like to repeat that it's an untested power that badly needs testing. Just tossing out my idea. As it stands, I could potentially see it being way too powerful or perhaps not powerful enough. It may depend greatly on the play group, which would actually be a good sign.

Oh man, did it really take 10 pages of this unwieldy thread before it was decided to make a separate forum? gui%C3%B1o.gif

But seriously, this is much better. Thank you, Mr. FFG!

GLINT [O:TG] Opponents Reveal Single Card

You have the power to peek . As any player, before allies are invited, you may use this power to force all other players to reveal one of their cards. You choose what type of card will be revealed; if you want an Attack to be revealed, you may also specify a lower limit. If a player has one or more cards of the specified type, he must reveal one of them of his choice to you. If he does not have any cards of the specified type (or you specified an Attack card and he has none above the limit you set), he may reveal any card of his choice. The revealed cards are only shown to you, and you may not disclose this information to other players.

History: Adept at the art of covert warfare, the Glints are not easily blindsided by an enemy’s secret weapons - they are difficult to keep secrets from. Even when they don’t find what they are looking for, the smallest flash of information can become a decisive advantage.

Wild: As a main player, before encounter cards are selected, you may force your opponent to disclose how many of a specified type of card he has.

Super: Your opponents must reveal all their cards of the specified type.

Comments: He's kind of like a cross between Hate and Mind. Not too sure if he's a little weak, though. Wanted to call it "Flash", but that was already taken.

EMISSARY [M:TG] Switches Powers Every Turn

You have the power of many . At the start of the game and the start of each player’s turn, use this power to take a random unused power. This power is used as normal for the rest of the turn. At the start of the next turn, discard the power before drawing a new one. If a player attempts to copy this power, they instead copy its current incarnation.

History: The Emissaries are not a single race; but a band of beings from various universes, dimensions, and timelines. As they stand as one, some of them heroes, others mortal enemies, they recognize the power of teamwork to achieve the greater good.

Wild: As a main player, your allies may use their powers as if they were main players. Using these powers is not mandatory (for example, Anti-Matter may choose to not use his power as an ally).

Super: You do not have to change powers at the start of a turn if you don’t want to.

This is an Advanced and Meta power.

Comments: Similar to Reincarnator, this guy will go through a lot of powers in a game. While he can't keep a power for as long as he wants by winning or not participating, he doesn't have to lose an encounter to ditch his current power. The idea is that he's a conglomeration of aliens tag-teaming to win the game.

I think both are a bit weak. Mind is much better than Glint since he can see an entire hand. Yes, he's limited to the main players, but their hands are more relevant at the time, anyway. Reincarnator is better than Emissary because he has control over his power. If he has one that works well against his opponents, he'll be able to hold onto it longer; ones that don't work well will get discarded quickly.

Also, I think since we have an entire board to post these on, posting to the same thread is just pointless clutter. It'd be a good idea for each user to start his own thread like Jon Gon and Messianic have already done. This thread is super unorganized and hard to search through. Just a thought.

Adam said:

Also, I think since we have an entire board to post these on, posting to the same thread is just pointless clutter. It'd be a good idea for each user to start his own thread like Jon Gon and Messianic have already done. This thread is super unorganized and hard to search through. Just a thought.

I thought about starting a thread (or somebody else could) that includes NO commentary --- just completed aliens, or even better, favorite ones. The more that get created, the more watered down some become, but there are still a lot of good ones out there. This thread could be used for dialogue and the other one only for aliens accepted here (or in personal threads) by consensus. I know that's vague and someone would need to monitor it but it would be easier to search what's out there.

Just before I think about making my own thread, I'll post up some revisions to the aliens I've already concocted.

MAGMA [M:TG] Erupts Volcanoes On Planets

You have the power to erupt . If you lose an encounter as the defense by 15 or more, use this power to cause a volcano to erupt on any planet of your choosing. All ships on the chosen planet other than yours go to the warp.

History: Formed of silicon-based superheated substances, the Magmas have the skills to turn the eruptions of volcanoes into an art form. Predictably, they also have a temper as hot as their bodies. Even a pointless loss may drive them to rage.

Wild: If you lose an encounter, you may give this flare to a player to send all their involved ships to the warp.

Super: You may use your power if you lose as the defense by 10 or more.

Comments: Before, he used his power whenever he lost by 10 and only on planets where he had a colony. Now, he can erupt any planet, but only as the defense and a big loss. Kind of like a more powerful Shadow, but much less used. Also changed the flare.

GLINT [O:TG] Peeks At Next Destiny Card

You have the power to peek . Before allies are invited, you may use this power to look at the next destiny card in the deck. If there is only one card left in the deck, it is reshuffled as usual. You may not reveal the destiny card you see with other players.

History: The Glints have long studied quintonic wave patterns ever since a metaphysical shockwave destroyed a planet in their system. By reading these superspacial signals, they can divine certain future events of high importance. With this advanced level of preparation, the Glints always know what to expect and how to react.

Wild: Before a destiny card is drawn (and after any destiny-deck affecting powers have been used), you may guess what the card will be. If you are correct, take a ship from the warp or a card form the deck.

Super: You may use your power to look at the entire destiny deck. You may not change the order of the cards.

This is an Expert and Rules power.

Comments: Huge difference here. Instead of being a cross between Hate and Mind (which kinda sucked, really), Glint is now an alien that can plan ahead based on who will be attacked next. He'll never be surprised about getting his colour drawn three times in a row (although Dictator messes with the deck after it's peeked at, so that's a pain), and he can save his ships and cards for the win if he sees that Mr. Last Place will be next encounter's target.

EMISSARY [b:TG] Switches Powers Every Turn

Game Setup: Place a number of tokens on this sheet equal to the number of players in the game.

You have the power of many . At the start of the game and the start of each player’s turn, use this power to take a random unused power. This power is used as normal for the rest of the turn. At the start of the next turn, discard the power before drawing a new one. If a player attempts to copy this power, they instead copy its current incarnation.

If you do not wish to change your power, you may instead use this power to discard a token in order keep your current power. If this aspect of your power is zapped, you must take a new power.

At the start of your turn, you may take one extra token.

History: The Emissaries are not a single race; but a band of beings from various universes, dimensions, and timelines. As they stand as one, some of them heroes, others mortal enemies, they recognize the power of teamwork to achieve the greater good.

Wild: As a main player, your allies may use their powers as if they were main players. Using these powers is not mandatory (for example, Anti-Matter may choose to not use his power as an ally).

Super: You do not have to discard a token to keep your current power.

This is an Advanced and Meta power.

Comments: In hindsight, Emissary kinda sicked because he had no control over when he tag-teamed. This time, he's still forced to swap out eventually, but he can go for five or six turns (that's turns, not encounters) before having to give it up.

Meh, I'll stick to this thread for a little bit longer.

GLOOP [b:TG] Merges And Separates Planets

You have the power of coalescence . Once you have been designated the defense, before the offense points the cone, you may use this power to change the number of home planets you have. You may merge planets together by stacking them, combining all colonies on them into one. Or, you may separate a merged planet, dividing all ships on the resulting planets equally. You may merge multiple planets at once, or divide multiple planets at once, but you cannot do both at the same time.

When a merged planet is being attacked by another player, use this power to add 10 to your total for each extra planet in the stack. For example, a three-planet merge results in a +20 boost.

A colony on a merged planet counts as one colony on each planet in the stack.

History: The homeworld of the Gloops is composed mostly of water. By steaming parts of their planet into nearby orbit, the Gloops can create another planet at will, or combine all parts of their world together. With such defensive prowess, they are a formidable foe when faced all at once.

Wild: As the defense, you may add 3 to your total for each home colony you have other than the one being attacked.

Super: When you divide a planet, you may choose where the ships go instead of dividing them evenly.

This is an Expert and Rules power.

Comments: Like Geophage, but simpler to understand. He can glom all his planets together for a +40 boost (not counting the ships), but if he loses then the offense gets 5 colonies and wins instanly. You also have to commit extra ships when attacking a merged planet, since if you only have one ships on a triple planet, you'll be dropped fom 3 to 1 colonies if he splits it up (since dividing 1 ship evenly produces 1-0-0).

HEADQUARTERS [M:TG] Has Central Planet

Game Setup: Mark or place your planets such that one of them is distinctive. This is your hub planet.

You have the power of centralization . As a main player, if your hub planet is not being attacked, use this power to add all your ships on your hub planet to your total.

As a main player, if your hub planet is being attacked, use this power to add all your ships in your home system to your total.

You lose your power only when you have no colony on your home planet. If playing a multi-power game, this applies to all your other powers as well.

History: The Headquarters have always known that it is best to have a solid defense. Following this methodology, they have created a planetary defense network that makes it very difficult for intruders to reach any critical areas. With many layers of protection, the HQs now only have to worry about beating the more vulnerable races out of their sights.

Wild: If you are about to lose your power due to controlling too few home planets, discard this flare to retain it. You may now keep your power until you lose one more home colony than would normally be required. If you regain a home colony, or you lose and regain your power, the effect of this flare is nullified.

Super: At the start of a player’s turn, you may change which planet is your hub.

Comments: Saw a "capital planet" variation somewhere, so decided to put it into alien form. He's a defensive guy, and it's easy for him to regain his own planets. Also doesn't lose any of his powers until he loses the hub. Trivia: previous names for this guy included Hub, Web, and Network.

Toomai said:

A colony on a merged planet counts as one colony on each planet in the stack.

“A colony on a merged planet counts as one colony on each planet in the stack.”

Is this true even if you have only one ship in the stack? Gloop is very cool.

Headquarters is almost equal to my power Hub, even though your wild is much more interesting than mine. :)

I have been busy putting together a home brew set for myself so I haven't really been trying to come up with any new ideas, but I finally put a couple together. Note that Wrench is my take on another alien in The Warp called Halfling, we've used my version and have really enjoyed playing with it so I figured I'd post it to get some more feedback.

AXIOM (Strength In Numbers)

You have the power to Augment. As a main player, use this power to count each ship you have in an encounter as the number of ships that you have in the encounter (For example, if you have 3 ships in the encounter, they are each worth 3, total of 9). When collecting rewards or compensation, each ship is worth one.

A very unimposing species when encountered alone, but beware, as they grow in numbers they grow in strength and courage. Having been determined to expand their influence, they have begun to overpopulate their modest homeworld. Looking outward to prevent themselves from consuming their own kind, they have but one alternative ... comsume everyone else's.

Wild Flare

As a main player, each ship you have in the encounter is worth two.

Super Flare

All of your allies ships are also worth how many ships you have in the encounter (If you have 3 ships in the encounter, all ships on your side are worth 3, etc.).

Note: The alternative to this Super is having the power to be used as an ally.

WRENCH (Alters Opponent's Hand)

You have the power to Sabotage. As a main player, before encounter cards are selected, use this power to take cards, at random, from your opponent's hand equal to the number of ships you have in the encounter along with an equal number of cards from the deck. After looking at the two sets of cards, give one set to your opponent, and discard the other. If, after using this power, your opponent has no encounter cards in their hand, they lose the encounter automatically.

Not noted for their military prowess, the Wrench have resorted to finding ways in which to weaken their opponent from within. They hope that over time, their systematically altering what their opponent's value, they can themselves strengthen their own position in the universe.

Wild Flare

As a main player, before encounter cards are selected, you may choose two cards at random from your opponent's hand. Discard one and give the other back to your opponent.

Super Flare

You may keep the other set of cards that you don't give to your opponent.

Gloop is the old homebrew known as VELCRO. I tried remaking it for FFg use under the name CELL. But the idea has definately been done.

Here is a nice little planetary power that I don;t know if it has been done yet:

WORLDSLAVER [M:FFgfo] Dominates Planets Christopher Oliveira

You have the power to Dominate. Whenever you win an encounter an offensive main player, take the planet and place it in your system, it now counts as both a home colony and a foreign colony unless it was already your home planet. The planets original owner loses a home world and if has ships on the planet it counts as neither a foreign colony nor a home world. If you are a defensive losing player on any of your home worlds, the winning offensive player may take back one of his planets that you have Dominated.

Rules: Advanced. Rules.

History: Bad bad dudes who wants to steal everyone's territory and own the universe. Did I mention they were bad dudes?

Wild: Use this flare at the beginning of one of your offensive encounters to regain a colony on a home world.

Super: Now you can Dominate as an offensive ally.