Militia queries

By ds10006, in Cadwallon: City of Thieves

Hi, some questions about the Militia:

1. Serial fights - say I beat a militiaman, and 3 spaces away is an enemy character, could I move him 3 spaces to the enemy character who would then have to fight him? If so, presumably if the enemy character won, they could move it back onto my character, essentially sending the militiaman back and forth until he eventually beats one character? (I would say yes as this is very much in the spirit of the game, but is this what the designers intended?)

2. When a militiaman is defeated by a character, can they be moved fewer than 3 spaces? For example, in point 1 above, could I send the militiaman to attack an enemy character 2 spaces away? Similarly could I send him to block a character 2 spaces away even if a legal 3-space move exists?

3. Does a militiaman count as a character? (What about the "incarnates"?). In some places in the rules it seems so, in others not (the term "another character" is used in a leading way in the militia section of the rules to suggest they are characters, but earlier the characters are described as being in one of the four ganags - which would rule them out). You might ask why this should matter: the key place issue is whether you can use arcana cards to affect tgem, e.g. to hinder their movement with a "niggling injury".

Many thanks!

ds10006 said:

Hi, some questions about the Militia:

1. Serial fights - say I beat a militiaman, and 3 spaces away is an enemy character, could I move him 3 spaces to the enemy character who would then have to fight him? If so, presumably if the enemy character won, they could move it back onto my character, essentially sending the militiaman back and forth until he eventually beats one character? (I would say yes as this is very much in the spirit of the game, but is this what the designers intended?)

2. When a militiaman is defeated by a character, can they be moved fewer than 3 spaces? For example, in point 1 above, could I send the militiaman to attack an enemy character 2 spaces away? Similarly could I send him to block a character 2 spaces away even if a legal 3-space move exists?

3. Does a militiaman count as a character? (What about the "incarnates"?). In some places in the rules it seems so, in others not (the term "another character" is used in a leading way in the militia section of the rules to suggest they are characters, but earlier the characters are described as being in one of the four ganags - which would rule them out). You might ask why this should matter: the key place issue is whether you can use arcana cards to affect tgem, e.g. to hinder their movement with a "niggling injury".

Many thanks!

1. Technically, no. You can't end up on the same space as another character. But I agree; it might be fun if this weren't the rule. I say house-rule it if you want to.

2. Yeah, the key is "up to" three spaces.

3. I think probably not, though again, if you want to house rule it, why not? This is a game with a lot of potential for houseruling, I think.

2) page 17 of the rulebook: the winner moves the looser 3 spaces or as much as is possible if no empty space is within range. Characters cannot enter the same space more than once while fleeing.

What Nerdmeister said.

It'd be nice if the monitors weighed in here with some clarifications. This game is young.