Movement question.

By Ken on Cape, in Cadwallon: City of Thieves

I know the rules say you can only enter a space with another character if you are enterening combat. But can you move through a space that has a member of your same gang? I can see not ending movement in same space as someone else. But it does not say one way or another if you can move through same gamg members spaces.

Ken on Cape said:

I know the rules say you can only enter a space with another character if you are enterening combat. But can you move through a space that has a member of your same gang? I can see not ending movement in same space as someone else. But it does not say one way or another if you can move through same gamg members spaces.

Found it.

I'm interested in your question, What do you find I think U should be capable of get through your other clan members, although not ending your movement into their same place

Halowii said:

I'm interested in your question, What do you find I think U should be capable of get through your other clan members, although not ending your movement into their same place

I thought it was not mentioned in the rules but it is.

It is? What does it say? We play with the house rule that you can move through your own team member's spaces, because not to be able to just doesn't make any sense and makes the game feel more like a Milton Bradley game or Sorry or something.

Team members not moving through each other makes perfect sense. You control a group of thieves. These aren't best friends fighting side by side here. Did you read the character backstories given in the rulebook? Most of them would be just as likely to stab each other in the back as much as the other side. You may be ok with showing your back to someone like that, but luckily the characters are smarter then that.

GrimWizard said:

Team members not moving through each other makes perfect sense. You control a group of thieves. These aren't best friends fighting side by side here. Did you read the character backstories given in the rulebook? Most of them would be just as likely to stab each other in the back as much as the other side. You may be ok with showing your back to someone like that, but luckily the characters are smarter then that.

Agreed.

There is no Honor among thieves.

*Steals a red ruby from Grimwizard's belt pouch*

I'm in yur belt pouches, stealin' yur jools.

angel.gif

Huh, well maybe it was just my band. I guess we weren't carrying deadly weapons, come to think of it preocupado.gif

But I put the rule in my house rules thread I just started anyway, because it really does add to game play. If these guys wouldn't attack each other, why wouldn't they let each other pass? So far these just sound like justifications of the rules as they stand, and not from FFG officials either. Until I hear a game mechanic that this game's testing showed broke down if we let team members pass, we'll keep playing that way, because we haven't found one.

Pulsar said:

So far these just sound like justifications of the rules as they stand, and not from FFG officials either. Until I hear a game mechanic that this game's testing showed broke down if we let team members pass, we'll keep playing that way, because we haven't found one.

Just because you like to houserule your boardgames, doesn't mean FFG has to defend their own rules to the game. It doesn't mean they should change them either. Sure the game doesn't break down when one rule is removed but, that doesn't mean its a dumb rule. Allowing teammates to move through each other simply removes one more tactic from the game. If you like playing a simpler game, more power to ya.

Well thank you, o wizard. I've been trying to get Pouchain's attention because for twenty-five years of avid playing I feel I've been waiting for this exact game. It took me an unfortunate while to realize I've been barking up the wrong tree, and went to BGG to track him down and list my many questions. My gut feeling about having to go to another forum to contact a designer of a game FFG carries aside, I never meant to imply FFG should "defend" their rules, as you take such an interest in doing, only that I want to know the reasons for rules that make no sense both thematically and mechanically. People like us do the playtesting for games, and being so passionate about a particular game (and being in a forum, where things are asked and clarified) is not a crime. And having clearly more experience in both crime and playtesting than you do, I think you're wasting your time on me with ideological criticisms.

By the way, you used "then" rather than "than" in your earlier post. As an editor I just thought you might want to know.

Pulsar said:

1)because it really does add to game play.

2) If these guys wouldn't attack each other, why wouldn't they let each other pass?

3) So far these just sound like justifications of the rules as they stand, and not from FFG officials either.

4) Until I hear a game mechanic that this game's testing showed broke down if we let team members pass, we'll keep playing that way, because we haven't found one.

1) Thats great that your group enjoys them! Games like this are great for house rules. Knock yourselves out.

2) a pretty decent rationale has already been provided in this thread for that.

3) You're right they are. And you're also right in that they arent from FFG officials either. Why is it so important that they justify it. Or anybody justify it for that matter? I know you just said that you never implied for FFG defending their rules, but point #3 appears to be pretty much all about you looking for justification from them to me.

4) This reinforces the implication for the search of justification. For that you will have to again drill the games designer. As in point #1, play it however you want. The inquisition isn't going to break down your door for using interesting houserules.

I have used very few house rules myself (Usually those are just to give a slightly different way to play a particular scenario that has been played before) and the game seems to play fine with the groups we have played it with. But then again we don't take this game very seriously either. Its a more narrative thematic experience for us where the rules are secondary to pushing around pretty models and stealing each others gold while we have a beer than it is a tactical treatise for us.