New ideas for the FAQ

By Corbon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark FAQ Update Discussions

Corbon said:

The card causes wounds, therefore +2 wounds is added. That some or all wounds may be prevented, does not change the fact that the card caused them.

[...]

You are correct that you don't add 2 damage to the SB trap for trapmaster. Thundercles is wrong - Trapmaster adds only to Trap Cards, not to Traps in general. But the SB Card itself tells you to treat the hero)(es) as if it (they) had moved onto the SB Trap (which it did not) so the effect of the Card (not the trap) is to deal 2 damage and a bleed, which becomes 4 damage and a bleed under Trapmaster.
I initially read it the way you do, but was shown the error of my ways (and it took me a while to 'see' it).

It is actually clear when you parse things down correctly.

For the first one, it is not so clear to me. The trap master card refers to cards that "deal" any wounds. It isn't clear enougth if preventing the wounds means not to be dealed them. After all, can't the hero completely prevent the damage from a spiked pit? But Ok, I supose it can be interpreted that way.

For the second, the effect of the card is not to deal 2 damage and bleed (by itself). If it was, then the mimic card and the dark charm card would benefit from trapmaster too, since their effect is to perform an attack that causes wounds. They are indirect wounds, not caused explicitly by the card. It seems more simple to say that the +2 wounds bonus applies to any trap card that says "sufer X wounds" (or something to that effect), and transform X into X+2.

On a diferent matter, I don't know if one of my posts didn't make it or was deleted, I just can't find it. I would like to add a vote for the question about familiars and pits. Can familiars enter and/or exit pits? How many MP does it cost to them? Also, on the current FAQ, in page 15, the first question under Environmental Hazards and Obstacles isn't propperly answered. It mentions "pits" as an obstacle that prevents crushing block, but then the answer gives a list of those obstacles and the pit doesn't appear.

Ok, I take back what I said about the first combination. The fact that there are other ways to cancel wounds (like the tunic) convinces me.

Galvancito1 said:

For the first one, it is not so clear to me. The trap master card refers to cards that "deal" any wounds. It isn't clear enougth if preventing the wounds means not to be dealed them. After all, can't the hero completely prevent the damage from a spiked pit? But Ok, I supose it can be interpreted that way.

Ok, you figured this one out for yourself. Note that The damage from the spiked i=pit isn;t 'prevented' the whole trap affect is avoided. " ... Unless the hero rolls a blank on one power die, he ... suffers 2 wounds..." If he rolls a blank the card doesn't actually do the wounds to him at all.

Galvancito1 said:

For the second, the effect of the card is not to deal 2 damage and bleed (by itself). If it was, then the mimic card and the dark charm card would benefit from trapmaster too, since their effect is to perform an attack that causes wounds. They are indirect wounds, not caused explicitly by the card. It seems more simple to say that the +2 wounds bonus applies to any trap card that says "sufer X wounds" (or something to that effect), and transform X into X+2.

Check the Scything Blades Trap card again. It says "... Any figures in the spaces filled by the scything blades are affected as though they had moved into a space ..." They dont actually count as having moved into a scything blade space, the trap card itself does the affect , as though they had moved in. Basically it is just a short form of writing out the full affect. This is very different from Mimic and Dark Charm, where the cards merely create an attack, not tell you to deal damage.

Galvancito1 said:

On a diferent matter, I don't know if one of my posts didn't make it or was deleted, I just can't find it. I would like to add a vote for the question about familiars and pits. Can familiars enter and/or exit pits? How many MP does it cost to them? Also, on the current FAQ, in page 15, the first question under Environmental Hazards and Obstacles isn't propperly answered. It mentions "pits" as an obstacle that prevents crushing block, but then the answer gives a list of those obstacles and the pit doesn't appear.

That is a common mistake it seems but not actually true.
Crushing Block may never be played in a space adjacent to [a pit] or [any token...]
Pits should not be in the later list that describes the tokens/map elements because pits are separate from that category anyway.
The error in that FAQ entry is in the later use of the word 'obstacles' when many of the elements in the list are explicitly not obstacles (and the list is clrearly not defined as types of obstacle originally - 'tokens and built in map elements'). Either someone screwed up badly, or they foolishly used 'obstacle' in a general sense despite it being a technical game term (which is still screwing up badly).

Then, don't you think it deserves to be clarified on the next version of the FAQ? We wouldn't be asking to answer another question, but to clarify an existing answer.

As for the Scything Blades, I still don't agree, but this is not the proper forum to continue the discussion (or at least I don't think so). If you don't think it deserves to be on the FAQ, that's ok. I'm more worried about nonflying familiars coming out of pits than about the trapmaster card anyway.

There used to be an official KW answer on familiars and pits on one of the older forums, or rather a clarification of the existing FAQ answer ("Familiars cannot jump pits"). It basically said that all (non-flying) familiars move right through pits as though they weren´t there (just as the Fly ability, but only for pits), at no extra MP costs.

Does anyone else remember that to support my memory?

Galvancito1 said:

Then, don't you think it deserves to be clarified on the next version of the FAQ? We wouldn't be asking to answer another question, but to clarify an existing answer.

What is to clarify? It is perfectly clear. You have two items listed, then one of those items gets an expanded explanation - the other item is not related to the expanded explanation and has no part in it. That is basic reading comprehension , though I understand it might not be as easy for second language readers (heck, I'm not capable of enough basic comprehension in any second language to be able to go onto forums with any success, so anyone posting here at all in their second langauge is ahead of me).

This is an identical example:
"My houshold has both cats and dogs. The dogs include spaniels, terriers, sheepdogs, labradors and mutts."
There is no mention of cats in the second sentence and there should not be.

I think FFG have the right to expect some basic level of comprehension that they don't have to explain. So no, I don't think that this deserves clarification.

Parathion said:

There used to be an official KW answer on familiars and pits on one of the older forums, or rather a clarification of the existing FAQ answer ("Familiars cannot jump pits"). It basically said that all (non-flying) familiars move right through pits as though they weren´t there (just as the Fly ability, but only for pits), at no extra MP costs.

Does anyone else remember that to support my memory?

Yes, I do remember it. Why do you ask though?

Just to prove that I didn´t make that out of thin air, since I could not provide a link (can you or anybody else?)

And to confirm my (sometimes faulty) recollection gui%C3%B1o.gif

I have two more. I don't think they are worth being on the FAQ because they are more like rule changes than clarificatios. However, I'll coment a bit about them just in case someone else is interested.

Back ground:

In the core game each tier consisted of 3 monsters. However, there was nothing on the rules to define what a "tier" was, so when a card or a rule was suposed to reference a tier, it reference all the monsters that it consisted of. For example, when the "hodes of things" allows the OL to place 2 beastmen, 2 skeletons or 2 bane spiders on the board, it is allowing him to place 2 identical tier 1 monsters on it. Now, when the expansions are added, each tier has more monsters, but nothing is changed on the cards nor on the rules. This may be intentional (some monsters are suposed to be more common) or not.

Aside from the hordes of things card, there is another situation when certain monsters in the same tier seem be more important than others: the summoning gliph added in the altar of despair. This gliph allows the OL to spawn any combination of 2 monsters from tiers 1 and 2, but only if those monsters are from the core game. Not even monsters from the same expansion (blood apes and dark priests) are allowed. The list hasn't been updated with monsters from the tomb of ice either, in spite of lava beetles being very similar to hell hounds.

So here are the questions:

Q: Can the Overlord use the "hordes of things card" to place Kobolds on the board? (Based on the fact that kobolds are treated as tier 1 monsters just as beastmen, skeletons and bane spiders)

A1: No, because the card doesn't mention kobolds. (Most probable answer.)

A2: Yes, the OL may place 2 kobolds on the board, because they are a tier 1 monster.

A3: Yes, the OL may place 4 kobolds on the board, because 2 kobolds are about the level of 1 beastman. (Most unlikely answer.)

Q: Can the Overlord use the sumoning gliphs to place kobolds, ferroxes, dark priests, blood apes, lava beetles and/or shades on the board?

A1: Yes, he may choose any of them in addition to those mentioned in the rules.

A2: No, ony monsters mentioned in the rules may be choosen. (Most probable answer.)

A3: Only (List of monsters) may be choosen in addition to those mentioned in the rules.

The tier concept is certainly implicit in many of the rules, particularly in the base game, and explicit in at least one quest.

I'm not so sure it's appropriate to generalize it at this point.

My impression is that the tier system is somewhat of a tool that was used in design, to ensure an equal distribution of monster strength vs. attack type, and now only exists as an artifact. Also, in the base game, a monster's offensive strength was much more equivalent to its durability. Nowadays, things aren't quite so clear-cut, which leads to lots of monsters that wouldn't fit in that tier structure. Granted, some work nicely– Ferroxes are a good tier-2, Ice-Wyrms a good tier-4. But , Dark Priests deal damage comparable to tier-3 Nagas, but only have the body of a tier-2 Sorcerer. Golems, are the opposite– they dish it out like a Sorcerer, but take it like an Ogre. Most newer monsters are like this, and would only fit in-between tiers– Medusas, Blood Apes, etc.

Kobolds are pretty weak, and I would never consider them comparable to tier-1 anything. Two kobolds (four little guys) might be a good substitution.

What would be cool would be a Hordes of the Things variant that had a different three choices... maybe tier-2 choices...?

-pw

Parathion said:

There are a few effects and situations in which the heros can be wounded while the party marker is on the overland map (e.g. Tavern Brawl (Rumor card), Nightmare non-combat encounter (or whatever the exact title is)).

Q1. Can a hero cancel these wounds using fatigue if he is equipped with Ghost armor, or by using the special ability of an equipped Elven cloak or similar items?

A1-1. Yes, he can use any items to prevent the wounds as if he were in a dungeon or (combat) encounter. Fatigue is fully restored after any such event, since there is enough time to rest, making the hero with Ghost armour immune towards these type of wounds.

A1-2. Yes, he can use any items to prevent the wounds as if he were in a dungeon or (combat) encounter. Fatigue is not restored after any such event / fatigue is only restored after (non-combat) encounters as usual, making the hero with Ghost armour immune towards these type of encounters (choose one).

A1-3. A hero can only use the special ability of an Elven cloak or similar items, he cannot use fatigue while the party marker is on the overland map.

A1-4. No, a hero cannot use any items to prevent or cancel these wounds.

I don't think this was ever addressed, sorry.

I'm not sure why this needs to be asked?
Ghost armour : Spend 1 fatigue to cancel 1 wound being dealt to you. ...
Tunic etc : When you suffer 1 or more wounds, ...

There is no indication of any requirement to be in the dungeon. The condition is met, so the items can be used. The only reason to ask this question seems to be the invention of new rule(s)?
As for fatigue refilling, the rule is (FAQ pg13) "They also are restored to full fatigue as soon as they end any quest, be it dungeon or encounter."
Which means, no, they don't get to recover their fatigue - visiting the tavern is neither a quest/dungeon or encounter.

As usual, I'm not ruling it out from the FAQ, I just don't see the need for it. The rules are clear, and it isn't frequently asked...

More that weren't addressed...

Parathion said:

1. Rumor "Down a hole": Use before making an attack roll. The hero chooses the result of that attack roll.

Is this attack subject to Dodge as usual, and how does it interact with it? Might be lumped together with the Killing Blow question.

I'd say the FAQ ruling on Killing Blow (which has exactly the same wording) would cover this. Seems harsh though...

Parathion said:

2. Non-Combat Encounter "The Alchemist": Heroes may buy up to five potions for 25 each.

Is this subject to the cost increase for potions if the plot card "Greed an Hatred" (cost for potions in cities is increased by 25)?
(Was "in cities" added intentionally to the plot card text?)

What is the precise wording of both cards? If the encounter card simply says heroes can buy "up to 5 potions", then no, Greed and Hatred wouldn't count. If it says they can shop as if in a city with an alchemist rating of 5, then yes, Greed and Hatred would work.
Again, this seems like asking about a clear (assuming the text is clear) rule because somebody (in this case whoever is OLing isn;t going to like the answer, not because it isn't clear. Note that I may be guilty of this myself at times, so I'm not complaining about the act, just asking if it is really worth asking - is it major enough to be worth changing?

Parathion said:

3. Non-Combat Encounter "A Wandering Merchant": Heroes may shop as in a city with a Market rating of three.

Is this subject to the plot card "Greed and Hatred" (Market rating of all cities decreased by 1)?

Is this subject to the rumor reward "A Mother´s Lament" (Market rating of all cities increased by 1)?

Is this subject to the rumor reward "Prince of Thieves" (20% discount on all items "in the Market")?

This one is probably worth asking. Is the city market rating 3 'final' value, or 'initial' value... I think the Prince of Thieves reward would certainly count and isn't worth asking. The heroes are shopping as if in a market, so all market rules apply.

Update...

101. Ispher: Island flee #14
102. Ispher: Damage ignores armour #39
103. McManus: Reinforcement Marker in new dungeon levels - IMO NN, +1 support
104. Immortal: Fatigue tokens limiting? #21
105. immortal: Focused out power cards
106. Immortal: Immunity to Avatars #27
107. Dragon76: Secret Training 3 options? IMO NN, +1 support #25

108. Antistone: Start of Turn clarifications #43
109. Antistone: Extended ruling to all situations - sort of covered by 43 above?
110. Corbon: Fog #40
111. Antistone: Familiars in Pits (or make it bigger)
112. Antistone: Daze + Bash #13
113. Parathion: Transport Gem timing #41
114. Gran Orco: Threat from Dark Charmed attack #42
115. Gran Orco: One Fist attack #43
116. Feat timing review - or is that 109?
#44. What is a figure
#45. Dar Hilzernod Reinforcing
117. Parathion: Non combat encounters that do wounds and wound prevention items - IMO NN
118. Parathion: selection of rumour and encounter stuff - IMO only Wandering Merchant is worthy
119: Galvanicito1: Tier stuff - IMO design theory rather than rules and not really appropriate

Feel free to comment in support or against those without #s.

Re. 117: The fatigue refill obviously happens due to an unlimited number of "rounds" after a dungeon or encounter (similar to the healing skills of Ispher and the like). One would assume that were would be unlimited rounds after a Tavern visit as well - hence the question.

"Ispher and Red Scorpion
Although normally wounds remain when the party returns to
the Terrinoth map after an encounter, dungeon, or the like ,
Ispher and Red Scorpion are instantly healed to full wounds
whenever the party returns to the Terrinoth map."

I wonder what "the like" might represent here.

Does the party actually return to the Terrinoth map after a Visit or Train/Recuperate action?

Does the party actually return to the map after a Non-Combat encounter? It never left it in the first place, did it?

So the rules are not 100% clear for the fatigue re-fill (as well as by extension for the healing skills).

As for the wound prevention, it is also not clear whether items in the heros´ possession are auto-equipped outside of dungeon/encounters. If so, is the last configuration used applied? One might assume so, otherwise a hero with a Cursed item would get really interesting pretty fast. Or may they freely and unlimitedly re-equip as they see fit? What happens then if a hero has Ghost armour in his pack and (theoretically, there is currently only one) only Cursed Others equipped? Or what happens if the hero has a Tunic in his pack and a Dark Relic like Lodestone or Glass Armor equipped (fortunately there are no Cursed Armors yet, are there?)? Can he still use the Tunic?

Re 118.1: Might be okay to assume that. It´s not that harsh if the heros use it in the Final Battle (no Dodge cards) or if the OL is out of cards or already has played all Dodges in a given situation.

118.2: The wording is as I stated (l left out unnecessary flavour words only). I maintain the question if the words "in cities" were intentionally added to the plot card text to save the Alchemist from the price increase, or if it was an oversight.

The rules might be clear, but then again, it is clear that some trails in SoB don´t have shields for encounters, so no rolls are made. So why bother to ask? gui%C3%B1o.gif

118.3: For completeness and clarity we should leave the Prince in - won´t hurt too much.

I support 103. (reinforcement marker).

New suggestion:

Cannons in SoB:

SoB, pg. 26: Remove fatigue tokens from cannons at the same time they are removed from ship’s stations.
(> pg. 24: At the start of the next round, remove the fatigue markers from all ship’s stations.)

SoB, pg. 26: At the start of the round, any hot cannon that doesn’t have a fatigue token on it (and therefore hasn’t been fired that round) is flipped back over to its cool side.

If both actions (remove fatigue, flip cannon to its cool side) are done at the start of the round, what is the timing for that?

Obviously, if "remove fatigue" is done first, all cannons are then flipped to their cool side at the beginning of any round, and placing the fatigue markers is 100% useless.

So, is "cooling down" to be done first?

Further, the part "(and therefore hasn’t been fired that round)" is confusing since obviously no cannon hasn´t already been fired that round at the start of that same round.

Probably it should read "At the END of the round, any hot cannon that doesn’t have a fatigue token on it (and therefore hasn’t been fired that round) is flipped back over to its cool side."

This erratum would also immediately and elegantly solve the issue of the timing mentioned above.

And another one, which got no satisfying results from the forum discussion:

The plot card "Ascension - The Harbinger Approaches" says:

All four Temples must be in play to play this card. Place one Comet token on a Temple of your choice when this card is played and at the start of each week thereafter. All heroes have their maximum wounds and fatigue reduced by one for each Comet token on a Temple within three trails of their current location. In addition, if you ever end your turn with nine Comet tokens in play, you win the campaign. The heroes may enter your Keep while this card is in play.

Q1. What happens if the OL has 8 comets in play and a party with a hero with 8 wounds maximum moves into the influence area of all 8 comets?

A1. The hero is killed immediately and the OL earns CT according to the hero´s value. As long as the party is in the influence area of all 8 comets, that hero cannot take part in an encounter or dungeon or perform a Visit or Train/Recuperate action in a city or Secret Master in that influence area. He is effectively out of play and if that happens to affect the Final Battle, it is due to the party´s bad planning.

A2. The hero is killed immediately and the OL earns CT according to the hero´s value. As long as the party is in the influence area of all 8 comets, that hero cannot take part in an encounter or dungeon but hangs back in Tamalir and may Visit or Train/Recuperate there, if Tamalir is not in that influence area.

A3. The hero is killed immediately as soon as the the dungeon level or encounter is set-up. In encounters he stays out as usual, in a Dungeon level he is moved to Tamalir´s temple and may restock every turn for the duration of the dungeon. If Tamalir is in the influence area, he remains out of play.

A4. The hero´s maximum wounds are reduced to one as long as the party is in the influence area of all 8 comets. Easy prey, but he still can participate.

A5. Something else?

Q2. If Tamalir is in the influence area: What happens if the party returns after a dungeon, or if the hero restocks, or if the hero is killed in a dungeon outside of the influence area?

Update...

103. McManus: Reinforcement Marker in new dungeon levels
107. Dragon76: Secret Training 3 options? #25

109. Antistone: Extended ruling to all situations - sort of covered by 43 above?
#44. What is a figure
117. Parathion: Non combat encounters that do wounds and wound prevention items - IMO NN
118. Parathion: selection of rumour and encounter stuff - IMO only Wandering Merchant is worthy
119: Galvanicito1: Tier stuff - IMO design theory rather than rules and not really appropriate
120. Parathion: Cannons and fatigue markers
121. Parathion: Ascension - comets and wounds = 0
122. Lunge fix (under discussion in main forum currently under Reach and Counterattack)

Update... 3 more threads added - 103, 120, 121 now have threads

103. McManus: Reinforcement Marker in new dungeon levels #48
107. Dragon76: Secret Training 3 options? #25

#44. What is a figure
120. Parathion: Cannons and fatigue markers #46
121. Parathion: Ascension - comets and wounds = 0 #47

122. Lunge fix (under discussion in main forum currently under Reach and Counterattack)

Remember this one? demonio.gif http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efpag=0&efid=4&efcid=1&efidt=397785

New suggestion:

Timing of Swoop vs. Riposte:

Riposte says: Play after a monster has attacked you with a melee attack. If able, you may immediately attack that monster. After your attack, the overlord resumes his turn as normal.

Soar/Swoop says: A soaring monster cannot normally be the target of a melee attack. However, monsters with Soar can choose to swoop down before attacking. If they do so, the extra range is negated until after the attack goes off, at which point the monster flies back up. Heroes may use interrupt attacks (even melee attacks, if in range) to attack a monster while it is swooping.

It is somewhat unclear what constitutes an interrupt attack that is applicable to attack a Swooping monster. Guard attacks and Backstab feat card attacks clearly interrupt the OL´s attack sequence, but does Riposte count as well, since it is played after an attack? (Alertness attacks may classify as well, but they are triggered when the Soaring monster enters an adjacent space, not when it is Swooping. Would Counterstrike be applicable, probably include this in the question as well?)

Q. After a Soaring melee monster swooped down and attacked in an AC outdoor encounter, what is the range/status of the monster at the time the feat card Riposte is playable?

A1. The Soaring monster´s extra range is not yet in force again by the time the card is played. Using Riposte, melee heros may attack the monster, ranged heros may attack at range 1.

A2. The Soaring monster´s extra range is in force again by the time the card is played. Using Riposte, melee heros may not attack the monster, ranged heros may attack at range 5 as usual.

About a specific quest: In WoD quest 1 (Buried Alive) many people have asked if the OL is allowed to use a green corrupted glyph at the end. I have seen this isue discussed in different forums (not just here). Surely the design didn't intend that and, after all, corrupted glyphs came in the next expansion. However there is nothing in the rules to prevent him from doing so.

This could potentialy happen in future quests where heroes wouldn't be able to exit an area the same way they entered it. I mean, imagine a dungeon where a door can only be crossed in one direction or where falling into a pit means entering a lower area. These kind of ideas could make good quests but the posibility of the green glyph makes them imposible to execute. I think I remember one or two examples of home made quests in this site that made use of these features.

So...

Q: Can heroes use a green glyph to return to the town when all the other glyphs have become unreachable (as in WoD quest 1)? Can they use it to go back to the dungeon when all other glyph have been removed from the board for some reason?

A1: Heroes may use green glyphs as normal if and only if they are isolated from any other glyphs (for example because the other glyphs have been destroyed somehow).

A2: Heroes may use green glyphs only to return to the town, and only in the same circunstaces as in A1.

A3: Heroes may use green glyphs only to move from the town to the dungeon, and only in the same circunstances as in A1.

A4: Heroes may use a green glyph to return to the town when the quest goals require them to return to the town in order to finish their quest, but they can use them only if that means the end of the quest .

A5: No way, green glyphs cannot be used at all. In quests where some areas can be isolated, or where glyphs can be destroyed, the OL is not allowed to use green glyphs.

A6: Anything else.

From this post: www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

Q: Can be used lunge feat with counterattack skill?

A1: Counteratack's trigger requires the enemy to be in melee range when he misses. Lunge gives you Reach only if you are making an attack, so you can't play Lunge.

A2: Lunge must be played before rolling the dice, not "immediateley before", so it could be played before the playing of counterattack. (You can declare a melee attack only to an adjacent space, so lunge would be useless).

A3: anything else.

A Sea of Blood question...

Q: Can Dallak be used as a home port?

A1: Yes

A2: No

Dallak has no access to the sea, and therefore is not a port city. Can it be used as a home port anyway? How would the Revenge get there/leave from there? By flying? Carried on the heroes' shoulders?

Similar question:

Can the OL use the Gem of Transport to teleport a Lieutenant to Dallak? (Where he could fight a sea battle against the heroes in the middle of the continent?)

A1: Yes

A2: No

Before posting questions here you should either thoroughly read the rules and the FAQ and/or start a discussion thread in the main forum to check if you overlooked something.

The answers to your questions are in the rules (first question: Yes. Home Port has no requirement to be in a seaside city. Heros have to travel on foot from there.) and in the FAQ (second question: No.).