Be carefull if U are thinking in buying the prepainted...

By Halowii, in Cadwallon: City of Thieves

I recieved the 2 sets this morning and, although they're really good painted in general therms, They have almost nothing to be with the photo of the Convention where the game were presented. I have taken photographs of all of them and I uploaded them into www.boardgamegeek.com, if U want to check them before buying them. Personally, I'm really happy wih the buy, but If U expect them just as shown, U'll get dissapointed (specially in a pair of them, that I had to paint over a little beacause they were very poor, while nevertheless some of the other are AWESOME). I'll show U the two best and worst in my opinion, juzge by yourselves:

cadwallon0150144536.jpg cadwallon0240230525.jpg

VERSUS

cadwallon0160155024.jpg cadwallon0210200949.jpg

Why in the first two they painted shadows in the skin and wrinkles, buttons, belts, different tones of brown and amazing details (the first one have a pig head tied to de shield that can't be seen in the photo and the pig have an apple in the mouth with different colour, shadows, and even the rope that ties to that shield have another colour!!!), and they don't even try to shadow the skin in the third, nor even colour the blue line she should have in the dress accourding to the picture of the box, only plain tones of green and brown like if they get tired of painting?

Anyway, looking at them in a picture so big does a little favour to them all. Looking at them in their original size, running through the board are simply fantastic.

Guys why pay $50 when you can buy a tin of Army painter and do them (and your other figures from other games) yourself.

looks like the you get a better result from Army Painter...and No...I dont work for them.

:o )

Well, I don't know how much does it cost the paint there in the USA, here in Spain U can buy a single small paint bucket (100 ml) for about 7$, and the quic-shade is even more expensive. In addittion, U need to have lots of free time (wich I don't really have) and great painter skills (wich have not either). Si I think that 20 figurines for 50$ is a great prize (2,5$ each). Too bad they don't put the same effort in all the figurines in the set.

I am a professional painter and have painted for a few miniature companys including Spartan games, crusader miniatures and wargames foundry as well as private commissions.

my site is aftermath-miniatures.co.uk

All this saying i understand the time needed to paint miniatures is not always avalible, I am thinking of possibly buying these as it gives you a easy starting point. Correct from what you have shown they are not that great, but with a few extra easy touches they can look alot better.

Be aware if you use army dip, it will leave them shiny, so get a good matt varnish also.

I got my sets & the Duke is somewhere in the mail headed for Jersey cool.gif .The figs are fine, as mentioned you can touch them up a little but I think I'll let mine be,as they are game figs and look good enough on the table.

I enjoy painting but just having come off an 8th month project I didn't feel like doing another 20 figs.

OD

I orderd the duke today.

The main game arrived today also and some of the figures were distorted, were any of the miniatures distorted in your pre painted sets ???

Nivanti said:

I orderd the duke today.

The main game arrived today also and some of the figures were distorted, were any of the miniatures distorted in your pre painted sets ???

About 4 total out of both box A & B.Just the bases were a little warped.The Hot/Cold bit does work but you should leave in in about a minute and then do any straightening and put it in ice water for 2 minutes(I know everyone seems to have their favorite time frame but this works for me).

The Duke arrived today aplauso.gif Packed like the Hope Diamond,nice fig(no warping)came with a Grey & a Black base?(need to check that out).Whats also cool he came with 4 Cards (French,Italian,German & English).

OD

meggypeggs said:

Guys why pay $50 when you can buy a tin of Army painter and do them (and your other figures from other games) yourself.

looks like the you get a better result from Army Painter...and No...I dont work for them.

Why?

It will cost more to buy paints, brushes, primers, dull coats, and shades than buy the PP minis.

Don't have the time.

I have piles of minis that I have yet to paint from 3-4 years ago.

Having someone paint them for me cost a whole lot more, especially when you factor in shipping.

Nice to know I can have some color at an affordable cost.

Buying pre-painted is a great perk for me, and will generally buy prepainted minis whether the rules are good or not.

That's why.

Not everyone is a painter.

The Sundance Kid said:

meggypeggs said:

Why?

It will cost more to buy paints, brushes, primers, dull coats, and shades than buy the PP minis.

Don't have the time.

Having someone paint them for me cost a whole lot more, especially when you factor in shipping.

Buying pre-painted is a great perk for me, and will generally buy prepainted minis whether the rules are good or not.

That's why.

lol, thats cool if you wish to spend $40 or so for the 2 sets...

I was giving other players other options rather than the 'buy this' option...

I bought a Vallejo starter set (with brush) for noth that much and they look the same...

it wasn't a command to buiy them, just an option/idea so you can get of your high horse now...haha!

meggypeggs said:

The Sundance Kid said:

meggypeggs said:

Why?

Don't have the time.

That's why.

I bought a Vallejo starter set (with brush) for noth that much and they look the same...

it wasn't a command to buiy them, just an option/idea so you can get of your high horse now...haha!

High horse?

A question was asked. I gave my personal answer that many will share with, many will disagree with.

I have the impression you do not understand the meaning of a high horse.

I have boxes and boxes of paint, about 500+ worth of gaming paint over the past 4 years. Paint is not an issue, it's time. Time is money, for 40 bucks I can get a fairly decent paint jobs, average minimum wage at about 8 an hour, that is 5 hours, could not paint all those minis in 5 hours the similar quality. I can paint to a higher standard, but would take a lot longer.

It's situational.

I see you need riding lessons.

PS. I do not joke here.

smiley_coffee.gif&t=1

The Sundance Kid said:

meggypeggs said:

The Sundance Kid said:

meggypeggs said:

Why?

Don't have the time.

That's why.

High horse?

A question was asked. I gave my personal answer that many will share with, many will disagree with.

I have the impression you do not understand the meaning of a high horse.

I have boxes and boxes of paint, about 500+ worth of gaming paint over the past 4 years. Paint is not an issue, it's time. Time is money, for 40 bucks I can get a fairly decent paint jobs, average minimum wage at about 8 an hour, that is 5 hours, could not paint all those minis in 5 hours the similar quality. I can paint to a higher standard, but would take a lot longer.

It's situational.

I see you need riding lessons.

PS. I do not joke here.

smiley_coffee.gif&t=1

Oh dear...now Iv'e upset you...

lengua.gif

Nope. Disagreement does not mean you have upset someone. Don't flatter yourself.

babeo.gif

Maybe annoyed. Yes, annoyed would be a more of fitting.

Chill or dual over a gave of dust tactics or what other game floats ya boat, hey theres a new one, float ya boat :)