Multiple Force Field

By Santiago, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

How do multiple force field work, do they stack, do you take the highest?

Example:
The Storm Warden DMorgan received the Terminator Honours....Terminator Armour provides 14 AP and an effective 35% Force Field but his Storm Shield grants him a Force field of 55%...

A Krak Missile Approaches him, he can't dodge because of his armour....it impacts and????

Santiago said:

How do multiple force field work, do they stack, do you take the highest?

Example:
The Storm Warden DMorgan received the Terminator Honours....Terminator Armour provides 14 AP and an effective 35% Force Field but his Storm Shield grants him a Force field of 55%...

A Krak Missile Approaches him, he can't dodge because of his armour....it impacts and????

Only one field can be used in a single instance, per ruling on p. 166. I'd assume the better field is always used - so in this case use the Storm Shield and ignore the armour's field - it may be still useful if storm shield overloads.

Either that or there's no possibility to be protected by more than one field at a time due to interfering effects - meaning a terminator whose storm shield overloads would have to activate the Crux Terminatus afterwards (presumably as a free action). This is somewhat significant if we take different kinds of field into consideration: Ascension had a field with a friendly 60% rating - that only guarded against psychic attacks. In that case, it becomes pretty relevant whether you can have both that and a normal field online at the same time.

If you take only the higher value field as working (i don't even want to try and work out force field physics) and want to be arsy about it you might rule that the storm shield gives you it's save to the front but the Crux applies all round, i.e if you get shot in the back..

Why would the storm shield only apply to the front?

Because it's an actual physical shield that happens to have a force field around that, rather than projecting a force field around the entire person. If you pass your Force Field roll when you are carrying a Combat/Storm Shield, it means the shot deflected off the shield.

I believe that Terminator armor has a feature that functions like a force field that cannot overload because it depends on attacks striking the hardest parts of the armor. The mechanic is handled like a force field, but is not actually a field, rather an integral feature of the armor's composition. The Storm Shield is a regular force field (all around the bearer) that emanates from a physical shield. The intent here is to be both symbolic and useful. I would have to say that Terminator armor and a Storm Shield might be the single instance in which a character could (effectively) benefit from two "force fields" at the same time. I say this because a hit could, conceivably penetrate the force field and still glance off the armor. It would be a damned shame to not be able to get full benefit of Terminator armor after you finally were able to get a set. Conversely, an Iron Halo and a Storm Shield would definitely not work well together. In the case of someone wanting to use them at the same time, I would suggest having them pick which one they want to use.

Xenoviel said:

I believe that Terminator armor has a feature that functions like a force field that cannot overload because it depends on attacks striking the hardest parts of the armor. The mechanic is handled like a force field, but is not actually a field, rather an integral feature of the armor's composition. The Storm Shield is a regular force field (all around the bearer) that emanates from a physical shield. The intent here is to be both symbolic and useful. I would have to say that Terminator armor and a Storm Shield might be the single instance in which a character could (effectively) benefit from two "force fields" at the same time. I say this because a hit could, conceivably penetrate the force field and still glance off the armor. It would be a damned shame to not be able to get full benefit of Terminator armor after you finally were able to get a set. Conversely, an Iron Halo and a Storm Shield would definitely not work well together. In the case of someone wanting to use them at the same time, I would suggest having them pick which one they want to use.

That is true of the field inherent in Terminator armour (if what i read is correct) but it is still a field of some description which as far as any of use know interupts, merges with or otherwise cannot be used with any other fields. None of us have enough experience to second guess non-existant force field technology.

How ever the storm shield has a very strong field that the size (possible just larger) than the sheild itself. Otherwise paired lightning claw terminators (or indeed Marneus Calgar) would have one attached to their back.

In the TT they merged benefits of the Storm Shield with the Terminators inherent field to give an over all invulnerable save of 3+ representing attacks bouncing off the terminator armour or getting the shield in the way and blocking it bouncing off that because in the table top game humanoid models don't actually have a facing they are turning round all the time.

Like wise It seems that the intent of the rules in DW are to establish an overall field as characters don't actually have a facing in 40K rpg rules anyway. If you were going to allow anyone to go for the 'weak' rear amour of the TH/SS termy it really should only happen as a special case of a suprise attach or something.

As for the not getting the benefits of the termy armour, firstly I imagine you'd be have the armour first for a while and secondly one of the benefits is that you can have wield a Thunder Hammer and Storm sheild.