Favorite non Lovecraftian author

By H.P. Lovecraft2, in The World of H. P. Lovecraft

I never really got into reading novels, most of what I read is not fiction but books on religion primarily, well I guess it could be considered fiction

Philip K. **** (science fiction writer)

Mervin Meyer (leading author and scholar of Gnosticism)

Dr Stephan Heoller (Gnostic bishop and author)

Vladimir Nabokov (Russian novelist)

I always like Joseph Payne Brennan and Clark Ashton Smith.

I might try Lord Dunsany because not only did H.P. Lovecraft read his books, but it inspired is writing, and most importantly, Dunsany was himself influenced by the Bible. Now I find that a curious thing so it might be worth checking out. I heard that the monsters were derived this way. It could be the source of the idea that lead to the creation of the mythos.

I didn't mind the other H.P.; Harry Potter that is. I didn't finish the series but books 1-3 were just fine at the time. I myself do read the Bible but it isn't because it is a good story, not that it isn't. Well what about "Lord of the Rings" by Tolkien. Surely he was a good author.

The author that gets a lot of attention is R. Martin for his "Game of Thrones" series and I myself have gotten some inspiration from the dungeons and dragons D20 game systems such as Ravenloft, Werewolf, Conan, etc.

I have also been stuck with Michelle! Yeah, with Buffy somehow. I was a Scooby Doo person when I was a kid, but I think that Michelle should be in an H.P. Lovecraft movie, although it is hard to find women in his stories, but I'm sure that it is possible to interchange a character such as the narrator.

George R.R. Martin - I picked up the first ASOIAF book when the cover with Sean Bean came out because I happen to collect books with TV or movie promotional covers, and was unexpectedly drawn in by the story and have gone on to read the rest of the series.

Timothy Zahn - Among the most well-known Star Wars writers for good reason. He introduced a lot of the EU elements that are now accepted as key elements of the lore, such as the name of the planet Coruscant.

Suzanne Collins - For breathing some new life into the dystopian future genre with The Hunger Games.

Tried to get into A Game of Thrones (RR Martin) but found it tedious and pointless. I get that the story is supposed to go on and on with new characters taking the place of old ones but this also results (IMHO) in no real direction to the series and no climax anywhere.

Put me down for Tolkien for my fantasy fix ;)

J.K. Huysmans, August Strindberg, Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allan Poe. I generally enjoy the 19th century decadent romantics and nothing really surpasses Huysman's A'Rebours and La Bas in that genre, so definitely everyone read those if you manage to find them! La Bas has also plenty of stuff relating to occultism and satanism so kind of close to Cthulhu Mythos also. And speaking of occult, Crowleys writing is also fantastic in the rare few occasions i have the patience for his ramblings.....

Frank Herbert (Dune Legacy!)

Michale Moorcock (Elric)

These two authors besides HP and Howard are my favorite, if no one has read Dune it is an epic beyond epics!

In related pulp materials I really like the Solomon Kane writings of Robert E Howard as well as the Dr. Fu Manchu series by Sax Rohmer.

I read a lot of non Lovecraftian material across many non-fiction/fiction genres. My all time favorites aside from H.P. Lovecraft himself would be: George Orwell, Jules Verne, Issac Asimov, J.R.R. Tolkien, Robert E. Howard, Lord Dunsay, Edgar Allen Poe, Algernon Blackwood, M.R. James and Hope William Hodgeson. Non fiction favorites include: Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan, Michael Shermer, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, James Randy, Noam Chomsky, Friedrich Nietzsche and Daniel Dennett.

Haha I forgot to put William Gibson and Bruce Sterling in there also!

Robert Bloch. For inventing "de vermiis mysteris" and making it's auther a flemish sorcerer.

Oh and Robert W. Chambers for creating Hastur!

Anthony Ryan by far thogh i have finished only blood song so far. folowed by brent weeks, martin and terry brooks.

Most of my favorite authors are from the sci-fi genre. My all-time favorite is Philip K. ****.

Then there's Dan Simmons who's at home in any genre; Orson Scott Card, Ursula K. LeGuin, and Lois MacMaster Bujold who are writing both sci-fi and sophisticated fantasy. Stanislav Lem, Neal Stephenson, Iain Banks, and Ken MacLeod for going beyond the scope of sci-fi to explore philosophical and political themes, and ask questions that are relevant to mankind today.

Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E, Howard (love both his Mythos stuff and his Conan stories), Brian Lumley, Ramsey Cambell, Lin Carter, Stephen King, Simon R. Green, Jim Butcher, Bentley Little, John Saul, Larry Correia, Jack Ketchum, Rick Riordan, R. A. Salvatore (love his Forgotten Realms stuff).