Did anyone make a board to rule all boards?

By Elderbree TM2, in Fan Creations

Hi all, did anyone ever made a board that includes all expansions.

I'm planning on making one by removing all "dead space" and maybe making some of the board elements smaller (such as the street locations). and maybe making two small sideboards for other realm locations and all the onboard cuonters (like terror track Dunwich track and so on), and wanted to make sure that there isn't anything out there already.

Thanks,

~Elderbree TM

I'd love to see it. I have a 1/2 size base game board that I use quite a lot and it works great...

pic620978_md.jpg

Here's the full size: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/620978/grudunza?size=original I had it printed on sticker paper and attached it to a thrift store board with spray adhesive. Turned out great.

I did see one by Dietch... I can dig it up for you if you want...

@Grudunza: Wow awesome approch to the concept of a master board, though my Idea was a bit different then yours, I might end up addopting some of your approch to it :)

@Amikezor: Sure that would be appreciated (I tried doing a search on the forums of his post but couldn't find anything).

Thanks,

Elderbree TM

I should note that I did not design that 1/2 size board... I found it on BGG and made a few small additions to it, but that's it.

I'd like to see Dietch's all-expansion board, too.

Well I've officially started on my creation.

So far I have made all the location cards for Arkham Horror Main Board and for the Dunwich Horror expansion substituting some of the graphics when I couldn't find the ones used in the board by FFG. I have made all the other locations from the other expansions as well, but haven't added an appropriate graphic as of yet.

Here are the ones I created with the graphics so far. there will be more once I get time to find GIMP graphics for the rest of the expansions :)

Trophy Value=5 toughness worth of monster trophies or 1 gate trophy (I found that it save space and is still clear enough for new players to the game)

Hibbs-Roadhouse-Front-Face.png Velmas-Diner-Front-Face.png Police-Station-Front-Face.png

Unvisited-Isle-Front-Face.png The-Unnamable-Front-Face.png River-Docks-Front-Face.png

Mas-Boarding-House-Front-Face.png Historical-Society-Front-Face.png South-Church-Front-Face.png

Ye-Olde-Magick-Shoppe-Front-Face.png Woods-Front-Face.png St-Marys-Hospital-Front-Face.png

Graveyard-Front-Face.png General-Store-Front-Face.png Black-Cave-Front-Face.png

Train-Station-Front-Face.png Curiositie-Shoppe-Front-Face.png Newspaper-Front-Face.png

Library-Front-Face.png Science-Building-Front-Face.png Administration-Front-Face.png

Independence-Square-Front-Face.png Arkham-Asylum-Front-Face.png Bank-of-Arkham-Front-Face.png

The-Witch-House-Front-Face.png Silver-Twilight-Lodge-Front-Face.png

Darkes-Carnival-Front-Face.png Dunwich-Village-Front-Face.png Bishops-Brook-Bridge-Front-Face.png

Whateley-Farm-Front-Face.png Wizards-Hill-Front-Face.png Cold-Spring-Glen-Front-Face.png

Gardeners-Place-Front-Face.png Devils-Hopyard-Front-Face.png Harney-Jones-Shack-Front-Face.png

Cheers and happy to except comments (good or bad) and tips for where I can find good graphics,

Elderbree TM.

Grudunza said:

I'd like to see Dietch's all-expansion board, too.

I contacted him by email. He will post his board himself in a very near future :-)

martiallaw.jpg

http://www.sectarios.org/foro/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=247

There is a Cthulhu forum I found, but it's in Spanish.

These might be alternative images for Police Station, Graveyard & Library

The thread linked is 46 pages long, there is a "Dagon Order" art on p. 37

decrepit_Mosoleum-FINAL-cop.jpg

Endless%20Investigation_web.jpg

Here is the original art for Harney jones

callofcthulhucountrystodb1.jpg

Maybe for Ye Old Magic Shoppe?

callofcthulhurarebookrosz4.jpg

The Rope & Anchor

TheRopeAndAnchorTavern.jpg

Awesome thanks, the site you mentioned is where I got most of the pics I used.

Police station:

I prefer the one I used over your suggestion (even though it is not technically a police station according to the art title), though if the actual pic used for the board pops out I will switch to that just so it will be as close as possible to original.

Grave Yard:

Though i like your offer better (and actually used it in the beginning) I rather use the one I'm currently using as it is the one used for the actual board by FFG.

Library:

I actually spent quite a while fliping between your offer and the one I chose, ending with the one I chose because it is titled as the Arkham library (the exterior), and the other one seems more like a library section of a hospital or something (the books they are reading are medical in nature and they are wearing lab coats) but I'm open for either... any opinion ?

Harney jones' Shack:

Awesome, I will make a new card using this art... did you find it on the Spanish site?... I though I went through all the pics...

Ye Old Magic Shoppe:

I like yours better and will switch to that. Thanks :)

The Rope & Anchor:

Awesome thanks :)

I'm going to work on the two expansion boards tonight and maybe post the locations tomorrow as well as a layout scheme I setup.

P.S.

Does anyone know how to design Tiles with custom pics and such for SE or how to use a picture of my choice for the board background (I prefer that over tile design)? all I have is the default ones they provided and I can't figure out how to add to or edit them... though I'm sure that once I go over the SE documentations it will mention it somewhere :) , if not then I'll just make the board with blank white tiles and later GIMP it to have the background I want

Can't wait to see this... post, post, post :)

Here we go, I finished all Arkham location (AH,DH,KH, and IH) some stuff I'm not completly satisfied with but it is the best I have time for... later I'll probably devote time to "upgrading" the art.

First I did update the following from the privuse version so here they are again.

Ye Olde Magic Shoppe, Curiositie Shoppe, and Harney Jones' Shack (thanks Freebird):

Ye-Olde-Magick-Shoppe-Front-Face.png Curiositie-Shoppe-Front-Face.png Harney-Jones-Shack-Front-Face.png

Bishop's Brook Bridge (the older version I used was too "cheery" and cartoony IMO so I switched to a darker more rundown version... hope you all like it :) :

Bishops-Brook-Bridge-Front-Face.png

And now to the new stuff.

Kingsport Horror:

The-Rope-and-Anchor-Front-Face.png 607-Water-St-Front-Face.png North-Point-Lighthouse-Front-Face.png

Wireless-Station-Front-Face.png The-Causeway-Front-Face.png Strange-High-House-in-the-Mist-Front-Fac

St-Erasmuss-Home-Front-Face.png 7th-House-on-the-Left-Front-Face.png Congregational-Hospital-Front-Face.png

Neils-Curiosity-Shop-Front-Face.png The-Hall-School-Front-Face.png Artists-Colony-Front-Face.png

YHa-nthlei-Front-Face.png Devil-Reef-Front-Face.png Falcon-Point-Front-Face.png

Esoteric-Order-of-Dagon-Front-Face.png Innsmouth-Jail-Front-Face.png

First-National-Grocery-Front-Face.png Gilman-House-Hotel-Front-Face.png Marsh-Refinery-Front-Face.png

Comment are welcome as well as suggestions for improvement and such.

Next designing the board back ground and making a railway brush for connecting the boards via the train depots. Then laying it out. followed by designing the Other World Encounter Board and making the Other World Location elements and finally making a Counters Board (for all the tracks in the game like the Terror Track, the Dunwich Horror track and so on).

Thanks and enjoy,

~ Elderbree TM.

EDIT:

Hmmm.. it seems Photobucket still sends the old versions from the link... it should update within a day according to their support section, so I guess ignore the 4 changed elements until tomorrow or something (it seems that the original post will also change to the new ones at that time since I updated the source and the link is an active one, so don't expect them to look different).

Well here is Version 0.5 of the board... basically just the layout and a place holder for the Train tracks

I'm working now on a background that will (space permitting) have a visual connection between all Aquatic locations. After that I will creat the special modifiers for the Innsmouth location and a proper boarder for the text beneath Sawbone Ally.

Master-Board-1.png

Next update might come tomorrow... we will have to see what difficulties I encounter in creating the background. also on the agenda is making the side board (or boards) for Other World Location and "Track Counter" and such.

Will also have a high resolution version that can be downloaded soon.

Cheers till next time,

~ Elderbree TM

Hi!

You did amazing stuff. Really nice pictures. And well done with the updated aquatic locations.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraft_Country, Dunwich should be the farthest from Arkham by train. Dunwich, Arkham and Kingsport should be linked by a river, Kingsport and Innsmouth should be linked by coast to the lake.

Did you try to reduce the number of vortex? (sorry don't know plurial for vortex) I don't own (yet) neither Kingsport nor Innsmouth so i don't know if their vortex are the same than Dunwich vortex. But it could help to save some place.

Keep the good work ;)

Wow, so far it's fantastic.

By the way, would you mind telling me which font you're using, cause i'd like to adapt your work in french and i'd like to keep the same design.

Thanks

Here is a download link to a better quality of the map (v0.6) the JPG and not the PNG since the PNG is 86 MB and that is only 450 DPI !!!.

changes from v0.5 (above) to 0.v6

*due to me trying to figure out what is the name of the font used I realized how to do the names of the locations like it is on the board (all caps but initial letter a bit bigger) so I updated all location names (even Dunwich Horror locations) to be like the RL board.

Sadly though I couldn't figure the font's name... sorry (I just use the basic fount of SE 2.1 and I understand that there is a french version..... though I might be wrong about that) also I'm using the Arkham Modern plug-in which suppose to change some of the fonts and such in the program ("Arkham Modern changes the look of expansion symbols, list prices, and the typeface used for card headings to match the style of recent expansions, such as The Black Goat of the Woods.") though I don't know exactly which or what (I installed it before I even started using the program :P ).

Anyway progress is going strong, and now I'm looking as to how I can change the size of the other world locations and looking for a good pic of all the relevant trackers in the game (would rather use a good pic then resort to attempting to recreate them) so any good suggestion would be appreciated .

Cheers,

~Elderbree TM.

P.S.

In regard to the suggestion about the vortexes I loved it, but after implementing it I realized that the space saved is not needed... at least not till next board expansion, so I will reserve implementation of it for when a new board comes out.

Here is a low res v0.8 of the map.

Master-Board-08.jpg

I attempted veriuse background schemes and ways to connect the aquatic locations, but all looked cluttered or made the important elements drown in the details of the background, so eventually I ended up doing a "Misty" generic background that made all the important elements stand out.

Changes from v0.6 to v0.8:

* Added a background.

* Added place holder elements for Environment and Rumor cards.

* Added the special connection between Sawbone Alley and Innsmouth Jail.

* Made an icon for the connection between Sawbone Alley and Innsmouth Jail.

* Made a border for Sawbone Alley.

* Twinked locations and positions a little bit (nothing major).

Planned next version:

* Add the Awarness Modifer box to the Innsmouth locations

* Add Jail Cell box to the Innsmouth Jail and to the Police Station

* Maybe mark Aquatic locations (and possibly Train Depots) with an halo to draw attention to them... I shell play around with that idea.

* Hmmm.... well I think that is it for the next version :)

Also I discovered a program called VASSAL so I'm spending time on making a module for that (there is one already but it is only for the main game and there are some "mistakes" in it, so the one I will make will be for the main game and all the expansions).

Cheers,

~ Elderbree TM.

Here is a link to a high res v0.85 of the master map.

Changes from v0.8 to v0.85:

* Added Awareness Modifier boxes to the Innsmouth locations.

* Added Jail Cells to the Police Station and Innsmouth Jail.

Planned Changes for next versions:

* Add a border to the Awareness Modifier boxes in Innsmouth locations.

* New background.

* Release a Straight to print version.

* Release a SE version.

Have fun all,

~ Elderbree TM.

Here is the v0.95 :P of the board, with the new back ground.... does it look good should I improve it somehow (I abandoned the halo idea since it again made the board look too cluttered IMO), but I can try to make the Background less fussy.... thoughts?
Master-Board-095.jpg

Thanks for the coments and help,

~ Elderbree TM.

Very interesting ideas.

I would suggest perhaps that the Kingsport & the Innsmouth nexus be switched on your "Grand" map, as they then would be (sort of) in the correct alignment.

according to the "Lovecraft Country" maps, Dunwich is off to the NW of Arkham, Innsmouth is on the coast, to the NE of Arkham, and Kingsport is on the coast, south of Innsmouth. (SE of Arkham)

lovecraftcountry.jpg

I've actually been doing the same thing, except that I decided to merge the Kingsport & Arkham maps, with a few added locations.

I never really liked the idea of taking the train, if you have a crisis in Arkham, would you really be spending hours on the train going to Dunwich?

I decided to combine Kingsport directly with Arkham, meaning that you can walk from Arkham to Kingsport. If you look at the map, Kingsport is only about 2 miles from the "southside" along the road, and perhaps 2.5 miles along the coast road - meaning that a man walking at a normal 3 - 4 mph could get there in about 30 - 40 min by foot.

I used the Kingsport locations, plus I added the Blasted Heath locations from Dunwich, Since "Color out of Space" by HP Lovecraft was originally set near Arkham NOT in Dunwich. I also added a few other locations, like Arkham Bridge, Clark's Corner, Dagon Society & the Kingsport caverns, Darke's carnival, Harney's shack etc. I also added "Hangman's Hill" to arkham, but used the event cards from Wizard's hill.

Anyways, I'll start a new thread as it progresses, so as not to hijack this one. angel.gif

Oh, I also found this pic for Dagon, in case the one you have now doesn't look creepy enough... sorpresa.gif

Esoteric_Order_of_Dagon_by_s_caruso.jpg

Hmm I wasn't planning on making it "real to life", just a space saver so I can play with all expansion and such...
So as far as location of the towns and such.. it doesn't really matter for the purpose of this board, though I will try moving them a bit and if it fits I might as well do as you suggested (can't hurt right :) ).
And as far as changing mechanic of the game this is not my goal ....(at least not with this board).

looking forward to seeing your board and thanks for the feedback,
~ Elderbree TM.

P.S.

I saw that picture but it didn't fit (IMO) with the colors of the game and my attempts to colorize it failed badly.

Elderbree TM said:

Hmm I wasn't planning on making it "real to life", just a space saver so I can play with all expansion and such...
So as far as location of the towns and such.. it doesn't really matter for the purpose of this board, though I will try moving them a bit and if it fits I might as well do as you suggested (can't hurt right :) ).

Just a thought, but as you say it doesn't affect game play, so only worth it if it doesn't take too much effort.

Elderbree TM said:

And as far as changing mechanic of the game this is not my goal ....(at least not with this board).
looking forward to seeing your board and thanks for the feedback,
~ Elderbree TM.

Sure! cool.gif

Elderbree TM said:

I saw that picture but it didn't fit (IMO) with the colors of the game and my attempts to colorize it failed badly.

I was thinking the same thing, it's nice, but color would be better. sad.gif

Some of the Arkham Horror art is pretty cool, but they could have picked some better stuff for a few of the locations. (IMO.)