Call of Cthulhu LCG online?

By Vorvadoss, in CoC General Discussion

Hey, just happen to be curius as to if there is a way to play Call of Cthulhu LCG online for free. I tried a wesite called octgn.net, but the way they register you is that they view your registry, then email you on wether or not you are (for a lack of a better word) worthy to play on their website. Please, I realy love Call of Cthulhu (heck, I even downloaded the real Book of Dagon by the auccult) and I have never played the card game. I checked it out on this website and watched all the tutorial videos, so now I have a good grip on how the game is played. It just looks really exciting I would like to play it and I'm sure that I will get hooked on it easily.

In need of assistance,Vorvadoss

Yes, octgn is a good place to play. Not many players, but the interface works well.

Well, with the response that they gave me so far that seems that I must be worth it for them to let me play online, it almost makes me not want to join. Plus, it's been almost a week since I tried to register and they haven't given me another email saying that they approve my registration. So I guess that either they're to busy being high and mighty to read my registration, or they're just being too much of a jerk to want to let me register. Either way, I'm about to just give up on them. The real reason I put this topic up was so that I could find another way. You see, I currently lost my job so I have no way to buy a core set to play with. Not only that but I live in the festering ignorance that is Arkansas, so most people haven't even heard of Magic the Gathering, let alone Call of Cthulhu LCG. So the way I see it, if I could just find another way to play online for free so then A. I can actually play the game within my apperent budget (which is $0) and then I could play online with people who appreciate the game.

Thanks for your response, Vorvadoss

I have to admit... I never used octgn. Don't have anything against it... just never bothered.

Anyone remember the old apprentice program?

I think I have some of the tools necessary to edit the cards on that thing. Combine that with a mIRC chat room or something... would a project like that be worth doing? Graphics and cool art and what-not wouldn't be there, but I can't say what octgn is like so...

I really think the game could benefit from a more organized online game system... and I dunno. Suppose I should see what octgn is actually capable of doing before I go shouting off anymore suggestions on this topic. But I do know that I would love to be able to hop online and play a game or two without having to set up a time days/weeks/months in advance.

octgn has the full card set - works nice except only on a windows based computer platform.

As for the problem with registration - I have no idea why you are having difficulty. Maybe you got the approval process and it was marked as junk or something? My registration took minutes...

No, it's not just that, it's that they basically have to email you to tell you if you're WORTH allowing to play on their website.

I'm confused. You can just download octgn2 directly to your computer.

Then you can join existing games or host your own if you are not behind a firewall... ??

Make sure you are seeking octgn2

I just went and googled "Call of Cthulhu LCG free to play online" and it went to their homepage. After that it said that I had to register, and when I did they told me that they would go over my registration and email me when they approve it. It's not till then when they'll let me log on and use their website.

Sorry, it just turned out that I didn't know what I was doing. But now, I just don't know how to run the game that I most desire. Is there any friendly advice you can give me?

Well, I finally got the OCTGN program up and running, but alas, for my arifact of a computer will not allow me to play but Magic the Gathering. Oh, well, just wait till I have the opportunitey to buy the core set.

Hi,

anyone willing to have a game or 2 using OTCGN ?

pm me here or mail at [email protected]

I don't know whether the game got updated on there or not, but I used to play a few different CCG's on www.lackeyccg.com

I'm trying to find CoC files for OCTGN and failing miserably. Apparently, filebeam is out. I made and account at Mediafire but can't see how to run a search there. Can somebody lend a hand?

Thanks very much!

well, I had some success. I found the files for CoC on Filebeam (search for OCTGN2 and take a look).

Vorvadoss, maybe you downloaded OCTGN with Magic somehow. OCTGN works for a lot of card games, you have to install each one. Look on Filebeam for an archive named "Cthulhu LCG-TCG".

I'm still at some loss about playing, not because of OCTGN, bu because of CoC. :] But I'm working my understanding of the game. If anyone wants some help with CoC OCTGN archives, or in using OCTGN, just e-mail me: pedrolunaris at gmail.com. I could use some information about the game as well.

Cheers!

There is now a new way to play Call of Cthulhu online. The game has been added to Trade Cards Online so that we can now trade cards, write card reviews, build decks, and even play online.

Please check it out and post here any comments or suggestions, specially if you think there is anything that can be improved.

Thanks a lot.

The Trade Cards Online is interesting, but if nobody shows up to play, it is not useful! :-)

So I guess if anyone wants to use this interface, maybe we should set up some times/days...

wow. thx 4 tradecardsonline.

but there are sooo little players there.....

As someone who already owns cards and would like to actually use them, I'm interested more in the prospect of engaging in IM or chat-based play. Would anyone be interested in playing that way? CoC is a particularly easy game to play, as card games go, without being able to see the opponent's cards in play, owing mostly to the fact that it's the story cards, common to each player's collection, that are the key to victory. At any time you may ask the opponent(s) what cards they have visible. And since it would obviously be a casual environment, nobody should be disheartened by a reliance on the honor system.

Any takers on this? Otherwise, I'm game for the TCO method.

does anyone wanna play at TCO today?

I got a couple of online games in this weekend over TCG interface. Although it is far from the same experience as face-to-face, it gets the job done.

I hope we will see more people over there soonly - it could be a good place to hang when "real" games can't happen due to time/distance.

Aha! Now I remember why I stopped going to TCO. Yeah, I just found it rather annoying that they make you get a Premium membership in order to keep your decks private.

Mind you, I'm quite likely among the least competitive players in the world, and nor do I consider the CoC crowd to be largely any different. I just feel that the contents of the deck I'm playing are my business. The idea that they find this an acceptable means of making money is distasteful to my mind.

Then again, I guess it's either this or downloading a program like Apprentice or something, which I'd rather not do. So I take it that nobody is willing to play via IM, chat, or Skype?

MarthWMaster said:

Mind you, I'm quite likely among the least competitive players in the world, and nor do I consider the CoC crowd to be largely any different. I just feel that the contents of the deck I'm playing are my business. The idea that they find this an acceptable means of making money is distasteful to my mind.

Then again, I guess it's either this or downloading a program like Apprentice or something, which I'd rather not do. So I take it that nobody is willing to play via IM, chat, or Skype?

1. paranoia attacks! why don't u think that playing ur deck with other people - is not the same? they can remember it content and then sold it for big money)

2. idea to lay via IM, chat, or Skype seems quite ''uncomfortable" for me, for example. my english and typing skills not so good for it.and anyway, imo, that kind of game organization is very long

It's not paranoia. As I said, I just don't like that kind of information to be public. If I refuse to give out my full name on a public webforum like, would you similarly assume that I expect you to begin stalking me?

I think it's an unreasonable moment of "unlockable functionality." But that's just my take, and I have nothing against those who are willing to fork up, or leave their decklists available.

Well, regarding the "competitive" aspect of the online play, I wouldn't use my best deck there. THat's reserved for private, at-home play testing until the big tournament.

I just like the idea of being able to play some games with people from around the world!

And I am skeptical of Skype being an effective mechanism... Too much typing of card language and location of things, etc. I guess you could put the camera facing the table to show the card status, but that seems awkward to me?

i'm from Belarus and here it's very hard to get cards. and in my capital city i know only 3 people who play CoC - me, my wife and my friend. but i'm great fan of H.P. Lovecraft, mythos etc. and the CoC LCG so. that's why the opportunity of free creation of the decks, testing new ideas and playing with people from all over the world seems great for me