$4 each? Seriously?

By RedMageStatscowski, in Arkham Horror Investigators

It really costs that much? Sure $4 doesn't sound like it's a lot of money, but multiply it by the number of investigators for the base game on its own. Then try adding the Dunwich investigators. Try totalling everything in. That's almost $200 just for miniatures that isn't exactly needed for the game. I'm sticking with the cardboard, thank you very much.

Though I do admit Joe Diamond's pose is epic, still won't get any of them though.

I agree that if you bought all of the investigators at once, it's very pricey.

But I'm pretty sure when people bought the boardgame they did not purchase the base game plus all of the expansions at once (about $300 retail). I'll be getting a few at a time. It will feel like I'm buying LCG expansion packs.

The figures are a luxury purchase, but really all boardgames are.

Dont confuse the the fact that AH has many miniatures with the exceptional price of $3.99 for a hand-painted figure. FFG's has made a number of sacrifices and workarounds to make this happen. While I understand that the aggregate total may be significant to you, these being sold individually gives customers the flexibility to buy the figures as desired or needed. Selling these "more to a box" would not have made the overall price any smaller.

Chris
FFG

I find the price more than reasonable and am looking forward to the release.

Knuckles Eki said:

It really costs that much? Sure $4 doesn't sound like it's a lot of money, but multiply it by the number of investigators for the base game on its own. Then try adding the Dunwich investigators. Try totalling everything in. That's almost $200 just for miniatures that isn't exactly needed for the game. I'm sticking with the cardboard, thank you very much.

Though I do admit Joe Diamond's pose is epic, still won't get any of them though.

$4 each is very good deal actually. Unpainted miniatures go for about that and sometimes treble that cost if you were to by them from other certain companies such as GW.

While they are plastic and therefore the sculpting isnt as fine as metal, $4 is an exceptional deal considering what you get. I realize that a full set is quite expensive but yu also arent required to use them so the optional purchase for a quality product is an either or kind of thing.

Lots of people go through a lot of work and effort to do this very thing costing much more than this. FFG reconizes that a certain demographic wants these and are catering to that type of consumer.

I will be buying all of these. However, I'll have to invest in another case to just to house and protect these minis. Unless, of course, FFG releases a custom-made carrying case...

If these are released to any of the stores I browse at - I'll buy them too. I love pre-painted minis and think it adds to the game (although, I fully agree this is luxuary purchase). I suppose I fall into FFG's "certain demographic". Tip of the hat to everyone who worked on the minis...I was always hoping they'd make a comeback from the aborted launch a year ago.

Hellfury's right: Joe Diamond's pose is epic.

I wonder how much the postage to the UK will be, if no games shops stock them?

Heh... Some of these miniatures are spot on, but some of them look like cosplayers dressed up as Arkham Horror characters. I'm disappointed that Mark Harrigan isn't holding a flame thrower. I think $4 a piece isn't that bad if you don't feel compelled to collect them all. Maybe just five or six. Or ten. Or twenty :') (I probably won't get any for a while though).

Done and done. Thanks for ignoring the naysayers, FFG. I may not grab them all in one go, but I intend to own them all.

Does anyone make a miniature carrying case for 48 figures?

Knuckles Eki said:

It really costs that much?

Yep, it does. 4$ for a single prepainted mini is a very reasonable price. The only way to get lower prices would be random packaging. And we certainly wouldn't want that, right?

$4 each is a great price, and packaging them individually was a great idea. I have friends looking for minis, and these could be just what they're looking for. While I might never buy them myself, I do appreciate the luxury of having the option available to me.

Have to agree with most posts here, $4 feels cheap, not expensive. Think the problem (for me) will be to find a place that sells them. Ordering from the FFG shop is not an option, the shipping cost will be too high (I'm not in the US). But thanks FFG for all the hard work, and I will find a way to buy them.

I'm interested in getting some of these miniatures for the base game and Dunwich. My question is, how much will FFG charge me to post them to the UK? The business plan might be for people to buy a few at a time until you've got all the ones you need, but if FFG will be the sole distributer then international shipping needs to go on top of that price. Then you're into the realms of bulk buying for free postage...

This will make some of you cringe. I bought them all and I do not even play Arkham Horror. LOL! I was that impressed. I plan on using them for Cthulhu RPGs and other areas where I need some nicely painted "people." I think some them could even work for LNoE or AToE. $4 is expensive when you times it by 48, but they are good quality and I probably couldn't get them painted for that price by an individual.

If the painting job is good enough I think the price is fair and I'm going to buy them when released.

The minis are impressive, and for the most part the paint jobs are well done. I picked up four at Gen Con Joe, Mandy, Zoe and Jim and of the four I only looked at multiple copies of Mandy to find the one with the best eyes. Zoe was great, with the blood splatter on her outfit.

Retail stores will be able to carry these direct from FFG, and our store plans to get in the line. Should be available retail in September. I plan to get all the minis when they release, but wanted some to bring back from Gen Con to show off.

I bought them all and found the painting and sculpts to be well worth $4.

Hopefully they will make pre-painted monsters too!

Bashkar said:

I bought them all and found the painting and sculpts to be well worth $4.

Hopefully they will make pre-painted monsters too!

I'll echo both these statements and add that a lot of D&D minis owners would love to buy pre-painted Arkham Horror monsters for their D&D campaigns.

The paint jobs on the new minis are terrible. Everyone is brightly colored and quite cheesy looking. Doesnt do any justice to the arkhm horror experience.

Give us an option to buy cheaper unpainted sets of minis. $64 for 16 low quality plastic minis with poorly chosen color schemes is not worth it IMHO.

The new minis dont belong on an Arkham game board anymore than these do: www.annastoydepot.com/dollhouse-families-and-people

As I said in an earlier post, I would be embarrassed to use these minis for a board game as classy as Arkham Horror.

Heh, now I want to put together my own set of minis using lego men. lengua.gif

Dave99 said:

The paint jobs on the new minis are terrible. Everyone is brightly colored and quite cheesy looking. Doesnt do any justice to the arkhm horror experience.

Give us an option to buy cheaper unpainted sets of minis. $64 for 16 low quality plastic minis with poorly chosen color schemes is not worth it IMHO.

The new minis dont belong on an Arkham game board anymore than these do: www.annastoydepot.com/dollhouse-families-and-people

As I said in an earlier post, I would be embarrassed to use these minis for a board game as classy as Arkham Horror.

Sheesh. Get over it. It's a game ... all of the components are essentially little toys that represent make-believe things. The minis look just fine to me, and one big advantage to having them is that they take up a good amount of less space than the stand-ups. Less space cluttered on the board is a very good thing for AH.

Dave99 said:

I completely disagree. Looking at the 48 minis on the table in front of me, they don't come across as brightly colored, much less cheesy. The minis fit well with the Arkham Horror / Call of Cthulhu / Lovecraft feel.

Now, are they as dark as the pictures on their stat cards? No. But that's because of the heavy shadows on all (or almost all) the pictures. If you really want all your miniatures shadowed like that, you could dip the minis into a bottle of black wash for 2 minutes then pull them out and let them drip dry. I'd never do this with the excellently painted AH minis, but it should give you the heavy shadow look you seem to want.

well, i guess ill have to see them for myself

if u have all 48 of them could u post a few close ups in good lighting?

the pics ive seen of the display case at gencon looked pretty bad

Thank you FFG!!!!!

I am seriously looking forward to these and want to thank the powers to be for going ahead with these. They will be a great addition to a great game system. I have been playing miniatures for years now and $4 for a painted miniature to me is a good deal. Consider 1 set sold.

Brian