King in Yellow: Director's Diary

By McCracken2, in Reference Materials

Hey all, long (long) time lurker, first time poster.

I just recently, well today, purchased the King in Yellow Expansion. After reading through all the new cards, one is giving me trouble in trying to figure out just how effective it is; The Director's Diary. The text reads that discarding it when the terror level is increased can reduce the amount by which it is increasing by 1.

What I'm wondering is can the Director's Diary effectively negate a terror level increase or is it only effective for the Mythos card that has a double terror level increase? Thanks.

You can use it for any increase. So if it would go up by one, then the Director's Diary reduces it to 0. If the double terror mythos card comes up, you can use it to have the terror only go up by 1.

DoomTurtle said:

You can use it for any increase. So if it would go up by one, then the Director's Diary reduces it to 0. If the double terror mythos card comes up, you can use it to have the terror only go up by 1.

Awesome, thanks DoomTurtle! I was hoping that's how it worked, definitely makes it a pretty sweet Common Item to have.

Except Terror doesn't really mean squat in most games. Only with Hastur, Glaaki as GOO or Dagon/KiY as Herald do I even remotely care about Terror. In a game where none of those four are in, only Terror 6 (closing Curiositie Shoppe) has a meaningful game effect.