Forum shutdown

By jocke01, in Star Wars: Legion

Many sads.

But I guess Discord has been taking the place of forums for some time.

15 hours ago, Mep said:

Asmodee is already a big board game company. Even before the big reshuffle they were shutting down the different IPs. Descent is done as is Android. That SW license is being reassigned. What is left, Arkham Horror? What happens when the current cycle is done? Is there a reason to keep that big FFG headquarters at all? I don't see it being open a year from now for anything. What is left can be reassigned. Sure they will keep the FFG brand on some things, but the people who built FFG are already gone. So yes, FFG is gone. Was great while it lasted.

Descent is done? Didn't they literally just announce a whole new game based on that property?

5 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Descent is done? Didn't they literally just announce a whole new game based on that property?

Well, okay, there is that, assuming it comes out. I think Gloomheaven having a good showing on Steam has a lot to do with that game. Journeys in the Dark is done. Questionable if there will even be reprints.

14 hours ago, lologrelol said:

Well, guess we won't be able to enjoy Khobai's complaining anymore. What a **** shame.

I called it as soon as they announced the end of SWL; writing was on the wall

19 hours ago, thestag said:

I recommend the Board Game Geek Forums: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/233571/star-wars-legion/forums/0?pageid=1&sort=active

They're semi active (although not as active as here). They've been around for a very long time and I doubt they're going anywhere anytime soon. And best of all, they're free!

If enough people jump over that could be a good spot, I use it for other games

6 minutes ago, TheHoosh said:

If enough people jump over that could be a good spot, I use it for other games

I can’t think of any real alternatives.

10 minutes ago, Derrault said:

I can’t think of any real alternatives.

wait, wait a minute did I finally get an agreement from Derrault, this perilous time has brought even enemies together 🙃

I wonder if there will be a new forum under Asmodee.

I'll meet you all at the rendezvous point on BGG!

20 hours ago, Tonytt1642 said:

I wonder if there will be a new forum under Asmodee.

Doubtful. The main reason to shut down the forums would be to save money on servers and staff.

4 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Doubtful. The main reason to shut down the forums would be to save money on servers and staff.

The main reason is that FFG is no longer supposed to have anything to do with Legion (X-Wing, etc), so there's no reason for them to run forums for same. Since those are the only real active portions of these forums (there are parts that haven't been posted to in years), they are just going to get rid of them all. Given that AMG currently has a forum for MCP that uses this exact same format (you have to google for it since putting a link from their website is somehow out of the question?) it goes without saying they will eventually add a part of the games they now cover.

1 hour ago, arnoldrew said:

The main reason is that FFG is no longer supposed to have anything to do with Legion (X-Wing, etc), so there's no reason for them to run forums for same. Since those are the only real active portions of these forums (there are parts that haven't been posted to in years), they are just going to get rid of them all. Given that AMG currently has a forum for MCP that uses this exact same format (you have to google for it since putting a link from their website is somehow out of the question?) it goes without saying they will eventually add a part of the games they now cover.

They haven't had anything to do with the Star Wars RPG and those forums are still here. Meanwhile the ones for the GW licensed stuff were pulled almost immediately.

38 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

They haven't had anything to do with the Star Wars RPG and those forums are still here. Meanwhile the ones for the GW licensed stuff were pulled almost immediately.

Those are going away too.

Just now, arnoldrew said:

Those are going away too.

I am aware. Because everything is shutting down.
My point was FFG hasn't had any RPGs for far longer than X-Wing, Armada, and Legion have been removed from under them, so this feels more like a similar change to the customer service policy changes: cutting costs, regardless of changes to customer experiences. It isn't even like FFG has been using the forums as a communication tool beyond the infrequent FAQ. Moving the Forums from FFG to some other company under Asmodee doesn't save costs, and if they were planning on moving them, it would be incredibly easy to keep the current forums and just move them over to a different domain. Or even just include "these forums are going away, but you can continue conversations at XXXX.com" as part of the announcement.
FFG in general has left forums up for games they don't support any longer (barring license issues, which I think is the only reason the forums for the GW licenses went away). So the excuse might be as you said: the most active part of the forum is no longer part of their company, but if Asmodee wanted to be supporting forums, they would have already set ones up for AMG or Edge Entertainment.

3 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

40 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I am aware. Because everything is shutting down.
My point was FFG hasn't had any RPGs for far longer than X-Wing, Armada, and Legion have been removed from under them, so this feels more like a similar change to the customer service policy changes: cutting costs, regardless of changes to customer experiences. It isn't even like FFG has been using the forums as a communication tool beyond the infrequent FAQ. Moving the Forums from FFG to some other company under Asmodee doesn't save costs, and if they were planning on moving them, it would be incredibly easy to keep the current forums and just move them over to a different domain. Or even just include "these forums are going away, but you can continue conversations at XXXX.com" as part of the announcement.
FFG in general has left forums up for games they don't support any longer (barring license issues, which I think is the only reason the forums for the GW licenses went away). So the excuse might be as you said: the most active part of the forum is no longer part of their company, but if Asmodee wanted to be supporting forums, they would have already set ones up for AMG or Edge Entertainment.

Honestly, I'm really surprised at the lack of community engagement by AMG besides the couple of banal announcements in the beginning. You would think that this would be the opportunity to build/rebuild the community while also allaying fears of current customers. You just fired all the known names by and large. Where's the replacement personalities? The community managers? The people that make me feel like I belong? There's no painting videos or game skirmishes or holiday themed stuff even if they can't announce any new product. There's no product line strategy announcement. No new forums or even a half hearted come see our youtube channel, nothing. And even if any of these things are there, I wouldn't know because they haven't announced anything on a channel I've actually seen! It's not just me I think. I just checked their twitter and youtube channel, both of which are practically nonexistent in terms of followers, and there is only marvel stuff.

None of this strikes me as the moves of a company that's ready for a change or community like this. Which, if we remember, falls into the rumor that AMG themselves had no idea the change was going to happen. Still, it seems they haven't even done the bare minimum required.

I think AMG hardly got any advance notice themselves. I'm not surprised we haven't seen much. It takes awhile to get things set up in a new division. The rehiring of Luke wasn't announced too long ago and they're rebuilding teams for each of those product lines. They've got to redesign their website and forums. And the people at AMG were only staffed for their own product line, which they gotta keep moving. All they could spare in time and resources were a few articles on their website. I'm guessing it'll be awhile before their teams (product teams, community teams) get built up in order to engage with the community.

On 12/21/2020 at 11:42 AM, arnoldrew said:

Huh? FFG is still going to be around, just as a board/card game company, and not a board/card/miniature/roleplaying game/card sleeve company.

They’re killing all their forums from the sound of it, that’s not something a healthy company does. Not a smart move to kill their Descent community at the same time they’re trying to launch a new product.

1 hour ago, DtLS said:

They’re killing all their forums from the sound of it, that’s not something a healthy company does.

Games Workshop killed their forums over 14 years ago. Wizards of the Coast shutdown their forums over 5 years ago. Both of those companies are doing just fine.

10 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Games Workshop killed their forums over 14 years ago. Wizards of the Coast shutdown their forums over 5 years ago. Both of those companies are doing just fine.

Except those games were 20 odd years old at their respective shut downs. Legion is only a few years old and hasn't reached as massive a following yet. Their release schedule and choices of releases also hamper growth/interest. But that doesn't mean the game will die. Maybe it will stagnate.

On 12/22/2020 at 2:12 PM, Derrault said:

I called it as soon as they announced the end of SWL; writing was on the wall

Star Wars: Legion is ended?

16 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Last I checked Hasbro didn't force WotC to hand over the reins of Magic to Milton Bradley. Ditto with Games Workshop, the closing of their forums didn't coincide with them ending production of Warhammer. FFG closing their forums at the same time they're losing what is likely their biggest seller is concerning and may indicate a desperate attempt to cut expenditures.

On 12/27/2020 at 4:21 PM, DtLS said:

Last I checked Hasbro didn't force WotC to hand over the reins of Magic to Milton Bradley. Ditto with Games Workshop, the closing of their forums didn't coincide with them ending production of Warhammer. FFG closing their forums at the same time they're losing what is likely their biggest seller is concerning and may indicate a desperate attempt to cut expenditures.

Except the cost cutting started with Asmodee changing the customer service policies for replacement parts.

Remember that FFG has a parent company now that either approves or demands any changes at a certain scale.

On 12/27/2020 at 10:35 AM, TauntaunScout said:

Star Wars: Legion is ended?

Well, with FFG and its creator. Fwiw, losing the head designers almost certainly will result in a shift in design philosophy and execution. And I liked the execution and design. So...effectively, yes.

46 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Well, with FFG and its creator. Fwiw, losing the head designers almost certainly will result in a shift in design philosophy and execution. And I liked the execution and design. So...effectively, yes.

That's just your opinion.

28 minutes ago, costi said:

That's just your opinion.

Yes, it just happens to be correct ;)