Forum shutdown

By jocke01, in Star Wars: Legion

"

Hello FFG forum users,

For years, we've featured forums on our website as a place for our gamers to gather and share their experiences—giving a place to discuss strategy, anticipate upcoming expansions, and share homebrew rules and variants. However, in almost every case, the communities centered around these games are more active elsewhere, whether that's on other websites, in social media groups, or with dedicated Discord servers.

We hope that you've enjoyed the use of the individual forums for our different product lines, but we have now made the decision to close down our website's forums at the end of the January.

All forums under community.fantasyflightgames.com will be shut down on February 1, 2021. If you have content on our forums that you would like to keep, you must save it elsewhere by January 31, 2021, or it will be lost forever.

Although we've loved having the forums on our website, we hope that you don't see this as the end of a community around a certain game. In every case, there are other players who love the same games that you do, gathering elsewhere online—this could even be the perfect chance to make some new friends.

We've can't wait to see you out there "

A hard blow to the community. Another thing on the list of changes I guess

I mean, are people surprised? There's no reason FFG should have anything to do with forums for a game they aren't even making any more, and the only really active forums on here are for miniature games and RPGs that don't belong to them any more. Some of the board game forums haven't been posted to for years.

Well it's not just for legion it's for everygame. Suprised though not really :P

it not like they have moderated the forums at all though

It's just part of the over all FFG shut down. Really sad too, cause FFG was amazing when they were still alive and active.

Anybody want to keep the community going elsewhere?

https://discord.gg/rfvyBYnR (FFG Forums Refugees)

6 minutes ago, Mep said:

It's just part of the over all FFG shut down. Really sad too, cause FFG was amazing when they were still alive and active.

Huh? FFG is still going to be around, just as a board/card game company, and not a board/card/miniature/roleplaying game/card sleeve company.

3 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

Huh? FFG is still going to be around, just as a board/card game company, and not a board/card/miniature/roleplaying game/card sleeve company.

Thanks for the list of the remaining things that need to be moved and shuffled around. Seriously no need to keep such a big physical game studio going when they do not much anymore. They may keep the brand around a while for reprints of the old games but I wouldn't expect anything new to be produced under the FFG name a year from now.

5 minutes ago, Mep said:

Thanks for the list of the remaining things that need to be moved and shuffled around. Seriously no need to keep such a big physical game studio going when they do not much anymore. They may keep the brand around a while for reprints of the old games but I wouldn't expect anything new to be produced under the FFG name a year from now.

FFG will still likely still around as the American board game company for Asmodee.

This is a bad move. I started down the Star Wars miniature game path 7 years ago. Played and game of x-wing with a friend and came straight to these forums.

3 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

FFG will still likely still around as the American board game company for Asmodee.

Asmodee is already a big board game company. Even before the big reshuffle they were shutting down the different IPs. Descent is done as is Android. That SW license is being reassigned. What is left, Arkham Horror? What happens when the current cycle is done? Is there a reason to keep that big FFG headquarters at all? I don't see it being open a year from now for anything. What is left can be reassigned. Sure they will keep the FFG brand on some things, but the people who built FFG are already gone. So yes, FFG is gone. Was great while it lasted.

TdjAf4i.jpg

I'll miss it here.

1 hour ago, Mep said:

Asmodee is already a big board game company. Even before the big reshuffle they were shutting down the different IPs. Descent is done as is Android. That SW license is being reassigned. What is left, Arkham Horror? What happens when the current cycle is done? Is there a reason to keep that big FFG headquarters at all? I don't see it being open a year from now for anything. What is left can be reassigned. Sure they will keep the FFG brand on some things, but the people who built FFG are already gone. So yes, FFG is gone. Was great while it lasted.

Got a source on the Star Wars board game license being reassigned? It's already separate from the miniatures and RPG game licenses. Same goes for the Marvel board game license that FFG has games lined up under. Also, how is Descent "done" when "Legends of the Dark" was announced two months ago?

FFG has the Marvel Champions LCG, the Mutant Insurrection board game (which seems to be an adaptation of Elder Sign), the Lord of the Rings board and card game license, the Legend of the Five Rings LCG, Twilight Imperium, and the Descent game that is supposed to compete with Gloomhaven just off the top of my head. So it's not like they have NO product lines, or nothing currently in development/distribution.

Asmodee is listed as "Publisher" for two of the games they sell on the website. They are a parent corporation for a bunch of board game companies at this point, and as far as I can recall, only FFG is based in the US of those companies that have been "brought into the fold."

Edited by Caimheul1313
1 hour ago, Darth Sanguis said:

TdjAf4i.jpg

Spoken like the true Darth you are

I hang out on the Discord, but it's not a forum. It's good for spontaneous discussion, but not for a long term discussion. Plus you're hoping the runners of these private sources are benevolent.

See everyone at the Atomic Mass Games forums! Oh wait... 😪

2 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Got a source on the Star Wars board game license being reassigned? It's already separate from the miniatures and RPG game licenses. Same goes for the Marvel board game license that FFG has games lined up under. Also, how is Descent "done" when "Legends of the Dark" was announced two months ago?

FFG has the Marvel Champions LCG, the Mutant Insurrection board game (which seems to be an adaptation of Elder Sign), the Lord of the Rings board and card game license, the Legend of the Five Rings LCG, Twilight Imperium, and the Descent game that is supposed to compete with Gloomhaven just off the top of my head. So it's not like they have NO product lines, or nothing currently in development/distribution.

Asmodee is listed as "Publisher" for two of the games they sell on the website. They are a parent corporation for a bunch of board game companies at this point, and as far as I can recall, only FFG is based in the US of those companies that have been "brought into the fold."

I think their focus going forward will be on evergreen titles. The brand may be there but the production is clearly winding down. Yes there are some titles that were developed and still coming out. I doubt you will see any of that a year from now.

That Star Wars license is complicated. At one point in time Hasbro had exclusive rights to do board games. Who knows what the deal is now. Disney is all in on Star Wars now and merchandising is a huge component of that. Exactly who will be developing those games isn't clear at all. One would think FFG but FFG has been gutted. Safe bet is not them.

@Mep The parts that have been "gutted" are separate from the board game division. It's not like the RPG, miniature, and card sleeves/accessory parts intrinsically linked to the board game section of the company.

@Caimheul1313 Look, I had a similar discussion a couple of years ago when Netrunner got the axe. Too many people believed Hasbro didn't want to cash a check for the license renewal. Pretty clear it was Asmodee who didn't want to write a check for a game in decline. This has been happening for some time now. The physical game market had a big boom, followed by a bubble, a bubble that didn't burst but vanished 10 months ago. The trimming of the fat and consolidation was already taking place before then. Asmodee has a bunch of board game studios. Those will be consolidated. It's possible they will all be moved to Minneapolis but I doubt that is going to happen for many reasons. Most likely the FFG physical studio will be sold off and those titles put under the umbrella of a larger board game producer. I would say revisit this thread in a years time, but since we can't, pretty clear how this one is going to work out.

Not happy about this at all either. Hope you work through the denial.

@Mep You are talking with a sense of certainty that I don't see backed up by anything. Asmodee has had YEARS to consolidate their European board game companies under a single roof, I haven't seen that happening, but maybe I missed something. Unless I'm mistaken, FFG is the only US based board game company under Asmodee, and there might be some advantage to having that, if only to make it easier to hire and work with NA based game developers. Unless I am further mistaken, FFG is also the only producer of LCGs under the Asmodee umbrella. Which do seem to at least make enough of a profit to warrant being reinvented and released with a new license on a regular basis.

There is always a consideration of cost vs benefit for production of any product, and licensing fees are potentially part of the cost. Cutting the GW license (which by my understanding had a "no miniatures" restriction) to focus on games in their own fantasy world, and instead using the more widely known/popular Star Wars license (of note, last I knew Hasbro's license is limited to the US, while FFG has/had the international license, so can't sell the board games directly in the US market, US customers have to buy them through a third party). The sudden move of the miniature license says to me that at least the FFG Star Wars licenses were recently renegotiated.

The RPG and Miniature games were a much smaller portion of the overall companies, and are very different from the "board game core" so moving them makes sense, since it consolidates the costs associated with those styles of games under a single roof, and makes it easier to sell them off if Asmodee wishes to focus solely on board games.
Yes, Licensing is a complicated thing, which is part of the reason that (as far as I know) there are no digital versions of the Star Wars RPGs, since EA has the "digital" license for Star Wars games. I'm assuming that IA's app avoids that issue since it requires physical game pieces to play, unlike the RPG which is a "complete game" from just the digital.

You could be right, FFG could be eventually doomed, but I don't see the forum shutdown as anything more than another cost cutting measure. Removing them means they don't need to pay for server space, nor worry about monitoring what people post (even to check the reported posts). It could also be that Asmodee uses FFG to produce board games from licensed properties, and their other studios to produce other games, much like EA has fifteen different development studios under their umbrella, including a number of companies that have been acquired over the years, such as DICE and Bioware. So it isn't entirely unprecedented to leave a bunch of separate developers producing similar products under the same parent company.

Edited by Caimheul1313
4 hours ago, Stasy said:

I hang out on the Discord, but it's not a forum. It's good for spontaneous discussion, but not for a long term discussion. Plus you're hoping the runners of these private sources are benevolent.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Discord. On a forum like here, I can make a thread, and it's mine. I can talk about my content and ideas, post my pictures and talk to people willing to engage with me. Discord only gives that power to the server admin or mods. Sure I can post stuff, but it's just going to get buried in a heap of other messages if the server is active at all. Also, the oversight is much less regulated. I don't like having to rely on the "popular names" of legion as a community head.

Sure use Discord for voice etc., but I think reddit might be at least a better option, though it has its own problems.

Gonna miss these forums. Forums in general, I fear, are going the way of the dino (mostly dead but aspects of it will fly into the the future to come).

I'm glad I was able to use this avatar (the hero token from Chaos in the Old World) throughout my tenure hear. While I was a predominantly X-wing player, many available icons were swept away, to great lamentations.

It's cool looking, obscure enough to not be popular, and reminds me of the first board game I played with people I now consider good friends!

I'll appreciate you all, especially anyone I ever butted heads with!

Well, guess we won't be able to enjoy Khobai's complaining anymore. What a **** shame.