Sad to see the end of the forum here on FFG

By Dr Dee, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

while I agree that the moderation was heavy handed and robotic for certain on the board I will say that that same heavy handed moderation probably pushed away many of the less desirable users. Probably some desirable users as well, but ultimately the air of civility on the board was greatly appreciated.

12 hours ago, Allonym said:

That's the one! I post under DaiInAFire.

Interesting moniker... I suspect there is a thrilling tale in there somewhere.
I went there yesterday and was just a smidge overwhelmed! I did join though and am __Mimi61, for what it’s worth.

Thanks! I will keep an eye out for your Hot Takes and other pearls of wisdom.

Edited by Mimi61
13 hours ago, Jaync said:

I just looked and it has by far the most members, so I would guess this is where most people are. I'm on this one, but I usually just lurk and don't post much. It feels much less personal and tight-knit than here, if you know what I mean.

I went there yesterday and checked it out.
I feels like moving from a little village to the big city!

Edited by Mimi61
20 hours ago, Jaync said:

I just looked and it has by far the most members, so I would guess this is where most people are. I'm on this one, but I usually just lurk and don't post much. It feels much less personal and tight-knit than here, if you know what I mean.

It's a definite downside of the Reddit platform, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I really don't like Reddit's structure, but all the communities I like are there.

I always assumed Reddit would rise and fall like it's predecessors, but it has managed to endure. I agree that for me Reddit feels way less personal. I read Reddit posts to get info, but I never post there. I'm just not compelled to really. I like more specialized platforms. I find the conversation is usually better when the scope is zeroed down.

2 hours ago, phillos said:

I always assumed Reddit would rise and fall like it's predecessors, but it has managed to endure. I agree that for me Reddit feels way less personal. I read Reddit posts to get info, but I never post there. I'm just not compelled to really. I like more specialized platforms. I find the conversation is usually better when the scope is zeroed down.

Well put. You have zoned in on exactly why it feels so different. I have never been on either Reddit or BGG before. This forum is my first foray into the world of forums.
It just feels more like the “faceless masses” over there, but hasn’t ever felt that way here. This feels more like “faceless friends” 🙂

Edited by Mimi61

What I find difficult to deal with on Reddit are all the advertisements. I find them awfully jarring. BGG is better but I generally concur with people here that it all seems bigger and more impersonal. This forum has always felt more like a community. I will be sad to see it hurled into the abyss...I may even take 2 horror.

Enter into your journal The Forum Is Now Closed.

On 1/28/2021 at 1:37 PM, Dr Dee said:

What I find difficult to deal with on Reddit are all the advertisements. I find them awfully jarring. BGG is better but I generally concur with people here that it all seems bigger and more impersonal. This forum has always felt more like a community. I will be sad to see it hurled into the abyss...I may even take 2 horror.

Mine may be one mental Trauma. Can we at least go to Resolution One?

Edited by Mimi61

BGG is fine. I just prefer forum structure. Everything laid out in a timeline, so that I can see the argument all in one thread. Instead of the chaotic mess of fifty subconversations that is Reddit.

(If you want to make Reddit more personal, what you want to do is find really obscure tiny subreddits, where there's like fifty people that like something no one else likes.)

12 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

(If you want to make Reddit more personal, what you want to do is find really obscure tiny subreddits, where there's like fifty people that like something no one else likes.)

Calvin Wright thread? Maybe he's too popular I dunno...

Of the three forums on BGG I regularly visit, the Arkham Horror one is by far the best in terms of quality of discussion. I’d recommend it to anyone who prefers the traditional forum structure. The main negative in my opinion is that the interface for writing posts could do with an update to make it more user friendly.

14 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Mine may be one mental Trauma. Can we at least go to Resolution One?

I don't think it is possible to get a good resolution in this situation. Whatever you do, even with R1, you will find that you can't stop the Portal of Knowledge (forum) from being closed to the world of mortals by Dark Forces (I'm sure they're nice people really). You must discard all aliies and your investigations 'are forced to continue elsewhere'. Subsequent scenarios force you to investigate otherworld locations (BGG, Reddit, the vast uncaring wasteland of the internet, etc.) to locate your allies and find clues.

We should, like, open an "Exiles of FFG" subreddit. Or a discord. Or whatever the kids do these days now that forums and proper conversation layout are no longer cool.

3 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

We should, like, open an "Exiles of FFG" subreddit. Or a discord. Or whatever the kids do these days now that forums and proper conversation layout are no longer cool.

I'm a long time lurker in these threads. Never really had much to add to most conversations, but always enjoyed listening in. This is a great idea to at least attempt to keep most of the community together.

1 hour ago, LightningFox said:

I'm a long time lurker in these threads. Never really had much to add to most conversations, but always enjoyed listening in. This is a great idea to at least attempt to keep most of the community together.

Seconded, great idea @Eldan985 . I'm sporadically on here but always value the speed, clarity and congeniality I get when asking a dumb question x

Does anyone know if this content is being archived anywhere? Archive.org seems to have crawled it in December, so they won't have all the content but at least some (hopefully most) of it will be there. In the last week I had two rules questions where the answers on Reddit both linked to rulings from MJ posted in this forum (unfortunately they weren't quoted there, and they were old enough that the Reddit threads were locked and I couldn't copy the quotes now.) I realized that in addition to losing the community, we're losing important rules q&a.

So I wondered if some clever soul was backing everything up somewhere for posterity.

On 1/30/2021 at 5:04 AM, Dr Dee said:

I don't think it is possible to get a good resolution in this situation. Whatever you do, even with R1, you will find that you can't stop the Portal of Knowledge (forum) from being closed to the world of mortals by Dark Forces (I'm sure they're nice people really). You must discard all aliies and your investigations 'are forced to continue elsewhere'. Subsequent scenarios force you to investigate otherworld locations (BGG, Reddit, the vast uncaring wasteland of the internet, etc.) to locate your allies and find clues.

Yes, that does seem to be the case. I guess my new trait will be “Drifter.” Just me and Duke, seeing if we can sniff out old friends with new names in new places, as we try to navigate the Cyclopean pathways of a cold hard expanse.

Edited by Mimi61
1 hour ago, coldt0es said:

Does anyone know if this content is being archived anywhere? Archive.org seems to have crawled it in December, so they won't have all the content but at least some (hopefully most) of it will be there. In the last week I had two rules questions where the answers on Reddit both linked to rulings from MJ posted in this forum (unfortunately they weren't quoted there, and they were old enough that the Reddit threads were locked and I couldn't copy the quotes now.) I realized that in addition to losing the community, we're losing important rules q&a.

So I wondered if some clever soul was backing everything up somewhere for posterity.

I don’t know if any individual is backing it up, but it seems as though FFG are going to delete the forums rather than make them read-only.

Most rules Q&A from the designers gets added to the relevant card page of arkhamdb. Anything in the FAQ section of a card is either rules text or an official response from MJ. That’s the first place I’d recommend looking if you are trying to solve a rules question on your own.

9 hours ago, Krysmopompas said:

Seconded, great idea @Eldan985 . I'm sporadically on here but always value the speed, clarity and congeniality I get when asking a dumb question x

Alright. I have no idea what to actually post there, but for now, here's a link. Feel free to visit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LostInTimeAndSpace/

18 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

Alright. I have no idea what to actually post there, but for now, here's a link. Feel free to visit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LostInTimeAndSpace/

Officially signing out. Hope to see you all on "The Other Side". Hope all your Chaos Bag pulls are +1's.

So long everyone, thanks for everything!

In your campaign log, record Azathoth devoured the forum .

1 hour ago, PearlChoco said:

Same. Although I already joined the main thread. It’s nice to have a few people from here that would be easy to follow though.