Sad to see the end of the forum here on FFG

By Dr Dee, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Disappointed to lose the Forum on FFG. Always found this a great place to go to for information, questions updates and just knowing what other players are up to. Hopefully you're all on BGG, so we don't lose contact.

This is a real bummer. This was actually one of the more healthy and friendly places for community discussion. I'm certainly not making a switch over to social media... Discord usually is a good environment for conversation but also tends to be a more fast moving conversation. It services a different type of communication.

Yeah. I'm not active on any other communities, largely because they don't seem to be as positive or dedicated to lighter topics.

I cannot say this news finds me well nor encouraged.

Yikes. Seems like an odd decision... It is a bummer but I suppose I’ll just use bgg more.

I also spend time on BGG but liked the different feel of this forum. It felt more like a small community. Good humoured and interesting and more manageable than other places. I'll miss the Shipping Now thread in particular.

Well this just SUCKS.

I've been relying on you pros to guide this newbie along. Thank for all the help over the past few months.

11 minutes ago, Sir_Blacksoutalot said:

I've been relying on you pros to guide this newbie along.

If you prefer the forum style, where old posts are easier to find than, say, on Discord then I’d recommend heading over to the Arkham Horror: The Card Game’s page on BoardGameGeek ( https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205637/arkham-horror-card-game/forums/0 ).

There are a lot of helpful people on there who will be happy to answer any questions that you have. While it does have a different feel to here, it’s still a pretty friendly place.

Thanks, Assussanni. I'll be sure to give that a try.

Guess I overreacted a bit. I just like the simplicity of these forums. Ah well.

Sorry to see these go. 🥵 The original FFG forum (ie. before these current forums appeared) for Arkham Horror (2nd edition) was the first game forum I joined, prior to even BGG. Since I don't use social media (yup, no Facebook, Twitter, etc account) and Discord is terrible for preserving threads it hurts to lose this.

I second Assussanni's comment about BGGs page for the game - it's not the same as this, but I totally recommend it. In fact, whenever I post some of my rare stats/info things regarding games (none for the LCG, but in the past I've done it for Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror) I always cross post between FantasyFlight's forums here and BGG.

Definitely sad news. I don't use social media sites. I've had social media accounts in the past, but being hacked is apparently a frequent occurrence on the likes of facebook etc, and my own account was hacked over a year ago. It became a monster headache that reached a point where I cancelled my social media accounts and I'll not go back to using them. Even after my account was closed I still received emails from facebook for a weeks afterwards asking me whether attempts to rekindle my account and change passwords were genuinely mine - the ongoing attempts were being made from different cities and countries.

No social media for me thank you. I love a simple, plain and honest forum like this one and will miss it terribly.

Anyone know what promoted this decision?

3 minutes ago, CaffeineAddict said:

I don't know, but I would liked to. Seems pretty arbitrary. The only thing I can assume is that maybe they do not have enough moderators or don't want to use their resources monitoring the forums. But I don't know how much of that they do officially. Unless Asmodee just doesn't like the idea? I have no clue.

5 hours ago, Soakman said:

I don't know, but I would liked to. Seems pretty arbitrary. The only thing I can assume is that maybe they do not have enough moderators or don't want to use their resources monitoring the forums. But I don't know how much of that they do officially. Unless Asmodee just doesn't like the idea? I have no clue.

Very big bummer. I have very much enjoyed the people and camaraderie on this site. I’m not a huge social media person either. I’m sure it’s to save money somehow. It’s sad though. This has always been a safe place, where people are respectful, helpful and extremely entertaining!

Soakman, please continue to me send any updates to Blackest Pits!! I feel like our play styles are a lot alike. I always have enjoyed your homebrew.

I will miss Allonym’s hot takes and overall expertise in all things Arkham.

I’ll miss Duciris who has been like a founding father on this site, has some of the most long lasting threads and is maybe the most ‘Marvel-lous’ Penguin on the planet.

I am starting to wax nostalgic and will become downright maudlin if I keep going, but suffice it to say that I’ll miss all y’all. Some of you have made me belly laugh and others have shown me a different way to approach my deck building and clarify odd cards, while others have the gift of bringing their play experiences to life.

If nothing else, we’ve been able to commiserate together when shipping is delayed, rejoice together when things are delivered or found at an FLGS and share the highs and lows of saving the planet and sometimes even the universe. It’s a dirty job, but someone’s got to do it...and you all do it with such style!

Edited by Mimi61
19 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

Very big bummer. I have very much enjoyed the people and camaraderie on this site. I’m not a huge social media person either. Maybe they figure this will consolidate things.

Soakman, please continue to send any updates to Blackest Pits!! Don’t leave us hanging... 😄

Absolutely, but do you have a bgg account? I may need to get your email or something. I just purchased a house so I’ve been incredibly busy and haven’t made much progress there, but I will as soon as things have settled down some.

Despite what they said, i think it does not bode well for our FFG games if they could not even afford to maintain the forums. What is going to go next?

I mainly used this forum for my arkham horror lcg info. Is everyone going to the bbg forums?

Edited by DarkFate
8 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Absolutely, but do you have a bgg account? I may need to get your email or something. I just purchased a house so I’ve been incredibly busy and haven’t made much progress there, but I will as soon as things have settled down some.

I don’t, but it looks like I will have to spread my wings and open one!

Edited by Mimi61
20 minutes ago, DarkFate said:

Despite what they said, i think it does not bode well for our FFG games if they could not even afford to maintain the forums. What is going to go next?

I mainly used this forum for my arkham horror lcg info. Is everyone going to the bbg forums?

I’ve been there as well the whole time, but I like the close-knit forum here. I’ll be at bgg going forward primarily just out of necessity.

34 minutes ago, DarkFate said:

I am active there (same user name).

14 hours ago, CaffeineAddict said:

Something quite similar happened in the company where I work. The forum of our site was abandoned in a technical way and no developers wanted to touch it or invest any time/effort on it. Due to the new regulations of GDPR and other tech issues from the Google Search Console, having "abandoned" pages actually penalize the site and it's SEO positioning. Probably we are not worth the effort of reworking the forum.

I think FFG are under pressure from Asmodee to reduce their costs/increase profits. They had their own customer service team reduced/disbanded/rolled into Asmodee customer service and laid off their role playing and digital games departments at the start of this year, then stopped producing their own brand card sleeves.

Now the X-wing, Armada and Legion miniatures games have been transferred to Atomic Mass Games. I think these games were responsible for a large proportion of the forum traffic (X-wing alone has in excess of one million posts!) so I guess that they (FFG? Asmodee?) have decided that the forums are no longer worth supporting from a business perspective.

I guess there could be an argument that by having in-house forums they are insulating players of their games from a larger internet public. If all of the discussions we've had here took place on BGG or in a public |f| group, for example, that would give the game more exposure on more widely-used platforms. Mind you, I think that argument would be wrong, and that forums in a diversity of platforms are good. I've been active on BGG this whole time, but I've appreciated the different and more focused "scene" here.

Edited by Carthoris

I've never been a fan of the BGG forums, personally. I'm not sure why, but I rarely find myself wanting to go on them, whereas I used to drop in on the forums here for several of FFGs LCGs regularly. Maybe that will change when these shut down.

Edited by CaffeineAddict
4 minutes ago, CaffeineAddict said:

I've never been a fan of the BGG forums, personally. I'm not sure why, but I rarely find myself wanting to go on them, whereas I used to drop in on the forums here for several of FFGs LCGs regularly. Maybe that will change when these shut down.

Same

2 hours ago, CaffeineAddict said:

The UI over there is pretty terrible. It looks and feels like something from the early 00s.

With these forums gone, I will check into FFG's site generally much less often, and be less attentive to their product news and advertising.