New articles up for Lando and Kallus

By AsmallChicken, in Star Wars: Legion

Nice mid costed commanders. I thought they did great with Cassian and Iden and I think we got two more solid additions.

Both Kallus and Lando are begging for hero builds. In fact the longer the game goes probably the stronger these guys are because as we saw with Luke and Vader new versions got new command cards and these guys abilities to bank certain command cards are strong. Plus it says after you reveal so you know what your opponent is trying to do. Certain cards like sabotage communications got strong here. Boba Fett has several situational command cards so you bank those just in case the situation comes up.

Kallus is a good package for 115 points he can be immune to Jedi pierce, with effectively the same health as a Jedi and an average attack pool. He pairs pretty amazing with Iden due to her command card package. Exactly how useable he will be are those 2 and 3 pip command cards we don't see. Overall I am impressed though.

Lando might be the better one if his other command cards are any good at all. His 2 pip allows him to give a standby to any unit he issues an order to but one has to be him. Krennic specifies just two units.

Edited by Uetur

I like the idea of contingencies paired with cunning for sure, Krennic/Kallus here we go!

51 minutes ago, Uetur said:

His 2 pip allows him to give a standby to any unit he issues an order to. Krennic specifies just two units. So I believe you can use HQ uplinks to give quite a few standby tokens to your side of the field

With HQ Uplink the unit gives an order to itself, so it doesn't trigger the bonus from Ace Up His Sleeve.

3 hours ago, Uetur said:

Plus it says after you reveal so you know what your opponent is trying to do. Certain cards like sabotage communications got strong here.

I really like the idea of banking Han's Change of Plans. Each time you play a 3-pip, you have the option of denying their command card.

With infiltrate and disruptive command cards, Lando might be a better version of both Han and Jyn.

I'm REALLY curious about what the rest of Lando's cards since he's got quite a bit of promise as is. Contingency for the Rebels is gonna be a big deal since they already tend to have more characters in their army and Lando makes them better.

Kallus I'm much more hesitant about. As it stands right now he seems pretty meh. The extra weapon for him also seems to be about ten points too much or should have a free switch at the start of each round like offensive/defensive stance.

4 hours ago, Lochlan said:

With HQ Uplink the unit gives an order to itself, so it doesn't trigger the bonus from Ace Up His Sleeve.

Good call, it doesn't have the generic when you get an order wording but the Lando has to give the order wording. Is it worse than Krennics then because you have to do Lando as one of the options?

12 minutes ago, Uetur said:

Good call, it doesn't have the generic when you get an order wording but the Lando has to give the order wording. Is it worse than Krennics then because you have to do Lando as one of the options?

Having to pick Lando is a downside, especially because Krennic can pick units with Sentinel whereas Lando would need to take Overwatch to get Range 3 on his Standby. Also, Lando only gives the token, whereas Krennic makes the unit take the action. Death Troopers get to use their Ready 1, whereas Fleet Troopers do not.

On the other hand, Ace Up His Sleeve's alternate text allows you to issue an order, which can trigger both Defend 1 and Coordinate on Rebel Veterans. If I'm not mistaken, it could even allow you to trigger No Time For Sorrows, since Command cards stay active for the entire round you use them.

Im pretty sure Landos art work is from his level in Battlefront?

1 hour ago, GooeyChewie said:

Having to pick Lando is a downside, especially because Krennic can pick units with Sentinel whereas Lando would need to take Overwatch to get Range 3 on his Standby. Also, Lando only gives the token, whereas Krennic makes the unit take the action. Death Troopers get to use their Ready 1, whereas Fleet Troopers do not.

I can see operative Luke getting a standby while engaged for a brutal double-punch during the round. Luke already has 2 amazing 2-pips though ...

Kallus looks interesting as a melee focused officer type commander but I suspect that he will be overshadowed by Iden, especially since he has a flaw card. I imagine it will be called "Moment of Conscience" or something and it will prevent him from attacking for 1 round or some such.

Kallus just looks goofy. Its not the sculpting department's fault, its his character design from the early (not great) seasons of Rebels. From the oversized toy looking weapon to the faux roman centurion helmet which we never see any other characters wear, its silly to look at.

Lando looks good, since rebels tend to run a lot of heroes, contingency will have a really good home in that faction. I suspect his flaw will either involve randomly selecting a command card (and either discarding it or being forced to play it) or it will involve a dice roll to determine his actions or tokens. Something involving gambling.

Im glad Lando is finally coming to the game, since I consider him a core character. Im also glad they waited so that his design is more interesting and useful. The iconic characters that came out early havent aged super well design-wise quite simply due to power creep and complexity creep.

17 hours ago, toffolone said:

There are 3 different capes. Long, short, flapping corner.

FFG designers really outdid themselves with the customizability. They've become drunk on variety

14 hours ago, FriendofYoda said:

I like the idea of contingencies paired with cunning for sure, Krennic/Kallus here we go!

That's where I really see Kallus shining (again, based on what we have available). A strong second in command to work as a flexible asset to keep the primary shot-caller safe and able to execute their orders.

We still need to see the other cards before any real strategy can be devised, but I''m excited for the possibilities.

You'd think we'd get two versions of Kallus announced at the same time. Wonder if a second one's even coming.

Also,

swl80_card-spread.png
Who the heck is that supposed to be - Kallus' ugly brother?!

9 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

Who the heck is that supposed to be - Kallus' ugly brother?!

That's his Flaw

botched plastic surgery when he and Zeb ran off together.

1 hour ago, evo454 said:

That's where I really see Kallus shining (again, based on what we have available). A strong second in command to work as a flexible asset to keep the primary shot-caller safe and able to execute their orders.

Since they both have Cunning, do you need Krennic ? His benefit was always getting the Death troopers unit all their perks without losing anything in the commands

13 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Since they both have Cunning, do you need Krennic ? His benefit was always getting the Death troopers unit all their perks without losing anything in the commands

Cunning only works with a commander's unique command cards. So Krennic or Kallus alone can only benefit on 3 rounds. Together they can get Cunning every round.

9 hours ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

Kallus just looks goofy. Its not the sculpting department's fault, its his character design from the early (not great) seasons of Rebels. From the oversized toy looking weapon to the faux roman centurion helmet which we never see any other characters wear, its silly to look at.

Looking good was always Lando's concern. And it's a petty that we don't get a version with him wearing his fancy helmet. 😄

119646be7794fe133d19f561557e5cd86b143453

1 hour ago, Lochlan said:

Cunning only works with a commander's unique command cards. So Krennic or Kallus alone can only benefit on 3 rounds. Together they can get Cunning every round.

Learn something new everyday. I thought he could use it with the generic cards as well.

I just realized rebels now have 2 commander units with covert ops....cant wait to play a game with 4 operatives 😂

47 minutes ago, bllaw said:

I just realized rebels now have 2 commander units with covert ops....cant wait to play a game with 4 operatives 😂

Yeah, I made a list with Cassian, K2 Lando and R2D2 last night. Fleet troopers with shotguns and rebel scouts and I should be set to lose a game in under 3 turns.

1 hour ago, buckero0 said:

Yeah, I made a list with Cassian, K2 Lando and R2D2 last night. Fleet troopers with shotguns and rebel scouts and I should be set to lose a game in under 3 turns.

2 hours ago, bllaw said:

I thought that they counted as Operatives for list building as well? I may be wrong about that, but that does seem like an interesting strategy if it works.

Edited by evo454
3 minutes ago, evo454 said:

I thought that they counted as Operatives for list building as well? I may be wrong about that, but that does seem like an interesting strategy if it works.

I think in your list building you would have 2 operatives and 2 commanders, but when you do the Covert Ops, you exchange the tokens when you deploy, hence the 4 operative tokens in your bag.

That's the way I've always done it. You would have to name one of your Unit commanders as your new leader (Rebel vets with Officer upgrade usually is a good candidate)

@Lochlan may chime in as I don't always catch all the nuances in the rules or remember them all in between playing sessions

38 minutes ago, evo454 said:

No. You decide on deployment whether or not to use Covert Ops.

Kallis's bo rifle staff mode looks painful.

3 hours ago, chr335 said:

Kallis's bo rifle staff mode looks painful.

really? unless you mean painful in a "it costs way too much for what it does" type way.

RBBW isn't overly scary on a unit that costs 115+ points. it has quite literally the same melee damage average output as a 4 man 44 point squad of stormtroopers, though he does have tactical + lethal so at least you can force a damage through with pierce. Still not worth it in my eyes though.

it seems instead of doing any one thing well, Kallus tries to do everything and is average to poor at all of them.

I really want him to be good so can only hope his remaining command cards are amazing and his flaw card is negligible in effect.