New articles up for Lando and Kallus

By AsmallChicken, in Star Wars: Legion

I'm not super impressed with Lando's combat abilities, but the one command card they previewed is amazing. Sounds like a support commander who can ping the enemy every now and again. Range 3 on his gun is pretty good.

6 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

I'm not super impressed with Lando's combat abilities, but the one command card they previewed is amazing. Sounds like a support commander who can ping the enemy every now and again. Range 3 on his gun is pretty good.

I was hoping Lando would be a bit more combat-y, but I suspect you're right, it'll all be in the tricks with his command cards... and access to three extra, too! Hey, two cape options makes him one of the strongest figures in the game by my calculation. Dooku, Grievous, eat your hearts out.

There are 3 different capes. Long, short, flapping corner.

So with out the presents of the coordinated keyword? Does that mean it's going to the clone and droid generic comander?

3 minutes ago, PhoenixOfCopper said:

So with out the presents of the coordinated keyword? Does that mean it's going to the clone and droid generic comander?

It definitely looks like Bolster and Direct will be on them, yes.

Hmmm didn't they have a rumor going around that one of them did not have a flaw card?

Really like the new card ability. Really pushes Rebels to take several commanders to make use of all the command cards. Also is Land just better Han? Five points more for range 3 and sharpshooter 2 seems like a steal? Maybe Lando's cards will want him to team up with Han, but they have have better options in the faction.

3 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

Hmmm didn't they have a rumor going around that one of them did not have a flaw card?

Really like the new card ability. Really pushes Rebels to take several commanders to make use of all the command cards. Also is Land just better Han? Five points more for range 3 and sharpshooter 2 seems like a steal? Maybe Lando's cards will want him to team up with Han, but they have have better options in the faction.

No, you're thinking of Maul. We've known they both had a flaw for a while due to the blurbs on the distributor's site.

Han's gun is way better besides the range (better dice, more Pierce, shoots twice). Range 3 IS significantly better than range 2, though. It's an artifact of the reality of Legion that if you're within range 2 for them to shoot you, you can just move into base contact and negate their ability to shoot you.

7 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

At a glance, Lando's article doesnt mention the flaw card. Maybe another design flub? I could be wrong

The picture of what's included in the box lists his flaw card.

Honestly, I'm surprised Lando is as good a fighter as he is on the card. Sharpshooter 2? Lando is a lover, not a fighter.

Flawed is in both their unit card text. I think there was some confusion in the leaks if Kallus also had a Flaw card, but this should but that to bed. Article, spread and card say so.

24 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

Han's gun is way better besides the range (better dice, more Pierce, shoots twice). Range 3 IS significantly better than range 2, though. It's an artifact of the reality of Legion that if you're within range 2 for them to shoot you, you can just move into base contact and negate their ability to shoot you.

Was trying to figure out if range 3 could outweigh better dice, better pierce, and shooting twice lol. And from personal experience (and as you stated above) I think I'll take that range 3 most of the time.

Makes me think that operative Han is close by and they don't want to overbuff the one we got now.

I'm excited for Kallus to hit the table cause he seems like he will be a really cool secondary commander. Contingency will make him even nicer to run alongside other units that don't have as many activation focused cards (like Operatives and Commanders like Iden).

Also, his Bo-Staff and the Face Me command should work well for him to be used as a countering unit with melee units (particularly opposing force users). While he may not win outright, he should be tough enough to hold his ground and gum an enemy melee commander/operative to get someone else in the fight or to protect a flank.

I'm excited to see what he can do in tandem with other commanders and operatives!

These both look very MEH, unless combo'd with Luke or Vader for real command card shenanigans

If I'm going to use Lando, it'll be for his command cards. Offensively he can reliably do 1 damage each attack, but not much more than that. I hope his 1-pip and 3-pip also get to play mid-round. That'd make Contingency 3 on him really interesting.

For the unit itself, I'm more excited by Kallus. If you just want Command hand manipulation (both Cunning and Contingency), you can do that for 90 points. Or if you want better offense you can spend 115 to get the Bo-Rifle. And with the Bo-Rifle you can adapt to whether your opponent brought melee or plans to stay at range.

30 minutes ago, evo454 said:

Also, his Bo-Staff and the Face Me command should work well for him to be used as a countering unit with melee units (particularly opposing force users).

I actually think he's not great at tying up force users, even with Face Me. Pretty much every force user will have Force Push, and there's nothing stopping them from just pushing him away. I actually think Face Me isn't great for shutting down enemy units, but it's awesome for keeping Kallus alive once he's in a place where he wants to be (assuming there are enemy units there as well).

Both of these commanders seem pretty cool, but I don't think we can make any real evaluation of them until we see their Flaw cards, not to mention the rest of their command cards.

I guess I hadn't considered the 3 range sharpshooter vs. the 2 range double shot. I guess part of it is my meta. When I run Han, I normally run Chewie, and while most people could move up to engage Han, they typically don't.

Yeah not sold on Kallus unfortunately, which is a shame as I really wanted him to be good. Unless his 2 & 3 pip command cards are absolutely stellar I can't ever see running him without his gun at which point I think Iden is just flat out better.

That’s not even taking into account his flaw card which could be significant as well.

Not going to call DOA just yet but frankly unless his flaw is virtually irrelevant and his remaining command cards are amazing I can't see imperial players running him over Iden who he's basically competing with comparing currently available information.

Edited by Mace Windu
15 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

I actually think he's not great at tying up force users, even with Face Me. Pretty much every force user will have Force Push, and there's nothing stopping them from just pushing him away. I actually think Face Me isn't great for shutting down enemy units, but it's awesome for keeping Kallus alive once he's in a place where he wants to be (assuming there are enemy units there as well).

Both of these commanders seem pretty cool, but I don't think we can make any real evaluation of them until we see their Flaw cards, not to mention the rest of their command cards.

Hey, a Force Push used on Kallus is a Force Push not used on another unit!

I think Face Me is actually more about engaging against ranged units. The recover can let you change from the blaster set-up to the staff set-up, then you can double-move into a Charge. Then their unit cannot make a ranged attack this round, and will need to withdraw next round, making them ineffective (at best) for two rounds.

My guess for Lando's flaw is that your opponent can randomly discard one of the cards in either your hand or contingency set. This thematically would represent Lando getting caught with a card up his sleeve.

Lando at courage 3 would be an auto include commander. As is ... just doesn't do enough on offense or command. I am not sure those other two command cards will change things or not. Maybe the contingencies cards would play well with an operative who's cards you want in the command deck but you need to play risky like Sabine or Luke.

Lando sculpt looks a little off, might need to some greenstuff and posing.

Another commander around 100p, but looks like he got some fun comboing with hand and chewie, will see.

If nothing else, rebels now have a way to get a standby token in the command phase and that is gonna be nice.

1 hour ago, Welshie13 said:

My guess for Lando's flaw is that your opponent can randomly discard one of the cards in either your hand or contingency set. This thematically would represent Lando getting caught with a card up his sleeve.

or maybe your opponent chooses the card for you?

Lando does double dip on the conflict after all.

I mean, with both Lando and Kallus, due to contingency it's very unlikely you're running them as your sole commander, that's definitely missing some of the value of their shenaniganery. You can probably run naked Kallus as slightly punchy Veers, but that's not really what he's good for. We still have to see their full command cards to see what kind of Commanders they are, though I can have some guesses since we can see the names and art of Landos, but I'm pretty sure you still pack Lando while also doing 1-2 other Commanders/Operatives so you can truly play fast and loose with your command hand.