New Star Wars in Media

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in Star Wars: Legion

1 minute ago, Lord Tareq said:

Also Kathleen Kennedy: "What could possibly go wrong..."

“I have an entire Legion of my best lawyers and executives working on marketing.”

If they hit with 50% I'll be pleased (that's about how good they did with the Marvel stuff)

I know the Marvel stuff was (moneywise) more successful, I'm just saying not all of it was good or entertaining or enduring (take your pick)

18 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

‘The Acolyte’ will be a mystery thriller following the Dark Side emerging during the end the High Republic Era.

——-

“Did you ever hear of the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?”

I was hoping it wasn't Plagueis, but seeing as the end of the High Republic era is supposedly only 100 years before the battle of Yavin, the timing fits perfectly.

Now that the old EU has been marked Legends, just how old is the Republic? The legends EU had it at like, 25,000 years old, right?

3 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I was hoping it wasn't Plagueis, but seeing as the end of the High Republic era is supposedly only 100 years before the battle of Yavin, the timing fits perfectly.

Now that the old EU has been marked Legends, just how old is the Republic? The legends EU had it at like, 25,000 years old, right?

yeah, not everything has to be linked and full of easter eggs for later.

I was really hoping they would go 500 years prior so the only possible connection between eras would be a very young Yoda and that's only if they wanted to put them together.

42 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

yeah, not everything has to be linked and full of easter eggs for later.

I was really hoping they would go 500 years prior so the only possible connection between eras would be a very young Yoda and that's only if they wanted to put them together.

Agreed. With Disney putting the new Sith Emblem everywhere (movies, comics, and games it seems) I'd have assumed they were taking a television show (or a movie) back to the Old Republic era when the Sith and Jedi were still warring it up. Even 500-1000 years before 0 BBY would have been a large enough gap to really break ties with Skywalker stuff and tell the stories of the last war between the Jedi and Sith.

I guess it's still too much to hope for Darth Bane's tale told in live action. At least he's canon, even if it seems not to the EU version.

I was hopeful when they said acolyte, as acolyte is different from apprentice in my mind, which implied, to me, an academy of Sith. Who knows, I'm sure it'll be cool whatever it is.

Edited by Darth Sanguis

I thought the whole hoopla with Headland's series was it would be one of these "female-led" affairs, so it's not going to be about an established male character surely.

As for Rogue Squadron - some people are hyping themselves up thinking she's referring to Lucas or Stackpole, but there's a horrible suspicion forming in the back of my mind that it'll be Rian "nice beloved franchise you got there it'd be a shame if someone subverted it" Johnson. His purported trilogy seems to have vanished into the ether(thank jeebus), but I doubt Kennedy would let him be completely sidelined if she could help it, and if one thing is clear from the recent announcements it's that Kennedy's position is nowhere near as precarious as some might wish.

Rogue squadron sounds the least interesting. Didn't we just get Resistance?

@twincast

what do you think?

On 12/15/2020 at 8:25 AM, buckero0 said:

Rogue squadron sounds the least interesting. Didn't we just get Resistance?

Yes well Resistance is a kids show and hopefully a Rogue Squadron production would be a bit more... Something else.

32 minutes ago, Crawfskeezen said:

Yes well Resistance is a kids show and hopefully a Rogue Squadron production would be a bit more... Something else.

True, but so was Clone Wars and Rebels and in some respects, the original Star Wars movie, I know a lot of adults who have viewed all of those.

I know its only a teaser, but I'd like some more info or anything to distinguish it from something that just ended a year ago.

Hopefully they're not remaking the cartoon

On 12/16/2020 at 11:34 AM, buckero0 said:

True, but so was Clone Wars and Rebels and in some respects, the original Star Wars movie, I know a lot of adults who have viewed all of those.

I know its only a teaser, but I'd like some more info or anything to distinguish it from something that just ended a year ago.

Hopefully they're not remaking the cartoon

While yes, you are correct, I should maybe have distinguished between age groups. I just feel Resistance shoots lower in its target than most others. And while I will consume most any Star Wars, I definitely connect more with... Not Resistance. But that's fine. Maybe its not for me but Andor is. We'll see.

Edited by Crawfskeezen

I was most excited about the Visions from the SW stuff(which I know nothing about) I'm hoping it's like the Marvel What If? series, where someone is allowed to have an imagination, come up with something completely off the wall/beyond the outer rim and make a visual feast in the SW universe. I feel like so far even the Mandalorian (which I enjoy) still taps into that Skywalker line too often. Every episode, I'm afraid C3PO is going to show up and make a whine.

The Rangers could be good (that's what I imagine the Jedi being like, Texas Rangers).

The thing that really caught my eye was the Willow tag. I loved Willow as a child. In a strange set of circumstances, I actually saw in in the theater more times than I've ever watched any movie in the theater. This could be really fun.

I'm afraid the Indiana Jones show is going to have Harrison Ford in it. The last movie was so bad I don't think I've watched a movie with him in it since. I'll keep my Raiders memories fresh and clean and pure away from meddling minds, thank you.

I'll end up watching most of it, but I have no problem turning something off if it stinks. Ahsoka, Bad Batch, Ander will all be watchable. Obiwan Kenobi took a big hit for me when I saw they were bringing back Hayden Christensen as Darth Vader. I would prefer no Darth Vader in any of it and watch Obiwan have adventures fighting off Sand People, Jabba's minions, etc. on Tatooine or where ever he takes Luke

Edited by buckero0
28 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

I was most excited about the Visions from the SW stuff(which I know nothing about) I'm hoping it's like the Marvel What If? series, where someone is allowed to have an imagination, come up with something completely off the wall/beyond the outer rim and make a visual feast in the SW universe. I feel like so far even the Mandalorian (which I enjoy) still taps into that Skywalker line too often. Every episode, I'm afraid C3PO is going to show up and make a whine.

The Rangers could be good (that's what I imagine the Jedi being like, Texas Rangers).

The thing that really caught my eye was the Willow tag. I loved Willow as a child. In a strange set of circumstances, I actually saw in in the theater more times than I've ever watched any movie in the theater. This could be really fun.

I'm afraid the Indiana Jones show is going to have Harrison Ford in it. The last movie was so bad I don't think I've watched a movie with him in it since. I'll keep my Raiders memories fresh and clean and pure away from meddling minds, thank you.

I'll end up watching most of it, but I have no problem turning something off if it stinks. Ahsoka, Bad Batch, Ander will all be watchable. Obiwan Kenobi took a big hit for me when I saw they were bringing back Hayden Christensen as Darth Vader. I would prefer no Darth Vader in any of it and watch Obiwan have adventures fighting off Sand People, Jabba's minions, etc. on Tatooine or where ever he takes Luke

Willow should be nothing new. The announcement is good news, but they've been trying to get that off the ground for a while

58 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Apparently there are going to be a lot of flashbacks and such for Kenobi. I think you need Hayden reprising his role as Anakin in order to make most of those flashbacks work. As for the Vader part, I think that could just be him on the extreme edges of things. I think of Vader as ordering the middle people (likely bounty hunters) to go and search for missing Jedi and such, but there will not be any direct interaction between Obi-wan and Vader. That would be a pretty big retcon.

32 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

Apparently there are going to be a lot of flashbacks and such for Kenobi. I think you need Hayden reprising his role as Anakin in order to make most of those flashbacks work. As for the Vader part, I think that could just be him on the extreme edges of things. I think of Vader as ordering the middle people (likely bounty hunters) to go and search for missing Jedi and such, but there will not be any direct interaction between Obi-wan and Vader. That would be a pretty big retcon.

Agreed. I feel like his role will be peripheral. I doubt they'll give Kenobi and Vader's relationship the Kenobi/Maul retcon treatment.

7 hours ago, Crawfskeezen said:

Agreed. I feel like his role will be peripheral. I doubt they'll give Kenobi and Vader's relationship the Kenobi/Maul retcon treatment.

I might be into the idea of reshooting the New Hope duel with these two though.

8 hours ago, Billion Year Old Carbon said:

I might be into the idea of reshooting the New Hope duel with these two though.

Actually, the new hope duel is exactly what it should have been. Obi wan was super old. Have you ever watched a 65-70 year old sword fight?

27 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Actually, the new hope duel is exactly what it should have been. Obi wan was super old. Have you ever watched a 65-70 year old sword fight?

I've seen a 700 year old sword fight.

yoda_star-wars_gallery_5c4c2b4b79903.jpg

41 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

You mean the kind with the force? Oh yeah. Some of my favorite Star Wars duels from the films and the Clone Wars series involve older combatants.

I'm not offended by the lackluster swordplay in New Hope, but I would be perfectly fine with having another version of the myth in its place.

2 hours ago, oreet said:

I've seen a 700 year old sword fight.

yoda_star-wars_gallery_5c4c2b4b79903.jpg

Heck, even Dooku was 80 in that fight.

The Obi-Wan / Vader duel in ANH is one of the only ones in the canon where the participants actually behave like everyone involved is holding a deadly weapon and has an appreciation that a single misstep would result in their death. I appreciate that it's somewhat out of place today given our expectations for choreography and on the opposite end of the spectrum from what we see in RotS. But from a character and plot perspective it works and absolutely holds up.

Newly released concept art from The Rise of Skywalker

zwaswfr4kx661.jpg?width=1125&format=pjpg

7rzkjhr4kx661.jpg?width=1125&format=pjpg

wd6hnfr4kx661.jpg?width=1125&format=pjpg