Thoughts on the models in the Republic/Separatist starters?

By Garrett17, in Star Wars: Armada

So i picked up one of each starter and I've gotta say they look they were designed by totally different companies.

The Hardcell looks great. The detail on each of the parts, especially the back piece beneath the fuel cells is very detailed and the paint scheme is nice. Lots of cool colours.

The Munificent is utterly gorgeous . The amount of detail on it is a real sight to behold up close. The close lines and different colored pieces really make it pop. The etching work is quite probably the best I've ever seen in this game. This ship is on a whole other level of quality. It's as if they had to use a different machine to make the parts for this one which was capable of more fine detail. Really, really beautiful from every angle.

The Counselor is about on par with the Corellian Corvette though the latter seems to have more fine surface sculpting. It's also only two colors though so it can't help but look a bit unimpressive compared to the Separatists. An ok piece though I would argue the Corvette and Nebulon edge it out.

The Acclamator definitely seems too light in color. It's about the same white as the Consulars which strikes me as off. Also I find the paint on the centre red stripe is a little inconsistent along the edges on the way down near the nose. I have to say this one seems a little beneath FFGs usual standards. Also, the lack of off-color plating makes it seem strange when compared to it's Star Destroyer cousins (but that last one is more of an observation).

The fighters look great.

How does everyone else feel?

Edit: I really hope the colour of the Acclamator doesn't mean the Venator will be forced into being the same colour. It reminds me of the duller bone-white they used in ANH for the first ISDs. I'd probably get used to it but still but I think it would definitely look off.

Edited by Garrett17
spelling

I agree that the Munificents and Hardcells are gorgeous ship miniatures. Whereas the Acclamators and Consulars aren't nearly as impressive. Based on the promo art, I was expecting the Acclamators to have a dark wash so the hull details popped. On closer inspection, I noticed that the ventral side of the Acclamator has 6 dark gray lines, but there are only 2 dark gray lines on the dorsal side of the ship mini (on the bow). Why would they add detail lines like those on the bottom of the mini where they'll hardly ever be seen!? 😖

I also like the hard plastic and colours of the squadron minis -- but the hard plastic is difficult to fix if something is bent, like one of my V-19's wing-tip laser cannons.

Overall, I'm impressed with the Clone Wars Armada content, and I'm eager to see the Venator and Providence ship miniatures in 2021!

33 minutes ago, Captain Corvid said:

I'm impressed with the Clone Wars Armada content, and I'm eager to see the Venator and Providence ship miniatures in 2021!

Don’t forget the recusant!

1 hour ago, Battlefleet 01 Studios said:

Don’t forget the recusant!

If the Recusant ship mini looks as amazing as the Munificent, I'll be hyped for it.

However, the Recusant is a very long, skinny, skeletal ship, so I'm not sure how it'll turn out. I have a feeling it'll be similar to a MC30 -- it might even be on a small base, despite that the destroyer version is longer than a Venator. Also, the Pelta will be a small base ship, so it would make sense if the Recusant was too.

4 hours ago, Captain Corvid said:

Overall, I'm impressed with the Clone Wars Armada content, and I'm eager to see the Venator and Providence ship miniatures in 2021!

Hahahaahaha. Good one.

Given the move to AMG and the complete lack of any information, I really wouldn't be surprised to not see anything Armada-related until 2022 at the earliest. I'll happily be proved wrong though if they want to take the hint!

39 minutes ago, amazingmrg said:

Hahahaahaha. Good one.

Given the move to AMG and the complete lack of any information, I really wouldn't be surprised to not see anything Armada-related until 2022 at the earliest. I'll happily be proved wrong though if they want to take the hint!

The Venator, Providence, Recusant, and Republic Pelta were announced by FFG back in August and distributor leaks reveal they’re expected in January. They should be the last ship expansions released by FFG.

After that, yes, it might be a while before AMG releases new Armada content.

I’m optimistic AMG will have new Armada expansions to reveal at GenCon 2021.

3 hours ago, Captain Corvid said:

it might even be on a small base, despite that the destroyer version is longer than a Venator.

Hardly, since even the default model is already a few meters longer than the Venator. (The upsized version is just stupid and i hope SO MUCH that they dont got with that one for either the Recusant or Providence)

1 hour ago, Captain Corvid said:

The Venator, Providence, Recusant, and Republic Pelta were announced by FFG back in August and distributor leaks reveal they’re expected in January. They should be the last ship expansions released by FFG.

After that, yes, it might be a while before AMG releases new Armada content.

I’m optimistic AMG will have new Armada expansions to reveal at GenCon 2021.

Expected is doing a lot of work here. FFG tend to announce products three-ish months before release. These supposed January releases haven't been announced yet. Without anything official, I'll stick to the pessimism. Its probably safer that way!

Edited by amazingmrg

I hope we get a release in January for new players. The fleet starters will get boring pretty fast I would think.

It would stand to reason that FFG wouldn’t have announced any of the next wave ships yet since they want everyone’s eyes on Clone Wars Wave 1. While I know FFG has a horrible track record for being on schedule, I still think we could get announcements officially in January and then potentially product by March at the latest.

1 hour ago, Battlefleet 01 Studios said:

It would stand to reason that FFG wouldn’t have announced any of the next wave ships yet since they want everyone’s eyes on Clone Wars Wave 1. While I know FFG has a horrible track record for being on schedule, I still think we could get announcements officially in January and then potentially product by March at the latest.

Every other expandable game FFG have ever produced has had preview articles up before the first items were available as a way of advertising that the game will be getting more support. Compare the Legion announcement/release schedule (column order: Product Code, Expansion Title, Announce Date, Release Date):

SWL44 Clone Wars Core Set 3/28/2019 10/18/2019
SWL45 Count Dooku Commander Expansion 8/1/2019 11/15/2019
SWL46 Clone Captain Rex Commander Expansion 8/1/2019 11/15/2019
SWL47 Phase I Clone Troopers Unit Expansion 3/28/2019 10/18/2019
SWL48 BARC Speeder Unit Expansion 7/3/19 11/1/2019
SWL49 B1 Battle Droids Unit Expansion 3/28/2019 10/18/2019
SWL50 Droidekas Unit Expansion 7/3/19 11/1/19

The initial announcement on 28th March for the Clone Wars starter and the first two expansions, released in October.

An announcement in July for two more expansions, released a couple of weeks after the starter launch.

Another announcement a month after that in August for the next wave of releases, and these were released within a month of the starter launch.

This is typical of FFGs product annoucnements. They never wait until a core has launched before advertising expansions. The fact we haven't heard anything for Armada Clone Wars Wave 1 is a glaring omission for me. And given the way they've treated Armada over the years, I'm not leaning towards giving them the benefit of the doubt either. Until I see an official announcement article, I'm going to assume that further products won't be anytime soon.

Edited by amazingmrg

The Munificent looks amazing but I'm really worried about storing it. Most of the Armada models are quite solid chunks of plastic so people around here tend to just chuck them into a bin. The guns and stuff on the Munificent seem to be made of harder plastic than that antenna everyone forgets used to be on top of their VSD but it's also going to be a lot more noticeable if they go missing. It's the first ship that really makes me consider a foam insert for my carrier, particularly since it's irreplaceable without buying another $100 starter set.

Edited by hufflazon
1 hour ago, hufflazon said:

The Munificent looks amazing but I'm really worried about storing it. Most of the Armada models are quite solid chunks of plastic so people around here tend to just chuck them into a bin. The guns and stuff on the Munificent seem to be made of harder plastic than that antenna everyone forgets used to be on top of their VSD but it's also going to be a lot more noticeable if they go missing. It's the first ship that really makes me consider a foam insert for my carrier, particularly since it's irreplaceable without buying another $100 starter set.

Ditto. It's gorgeous but one wrong move might snap something like the "guns" on the tips of the wings. Gotta handle this one with care.

Muni is a beautiful beautiful model.

CIS squads for me very hard to discern in their native blue, they need a paint job soon. Acclamator looks a bit too sterile, but I can understand they were probably pristine when they took off at the wars start.

I received my Separatist starter set in the mail today; the Munificent is one of the best sculpts to date! Love it.

On 12/7/2020 at 8:38 AM, Battlefleet 01 Studios said:

As has been pointed out there are typically announcements of additional expansions before releases of these new Armada factions. I was very close to cancelling my pre-order with the studio change and no information on further expansions. It is quite concerning that no information about the additional soft announcement expansions has been released.

On 12/6/2020 at 10:10 PM, Garrett17 said:

So i picked up one of each starter and I've gotta say they look they were designed by totally different companies.

The Hardcell looks great. The detail on each of the parts, especially the back piece beneath the fuel cells is very detailed and the paint scheme is nice. Lots of cool colours.

The Munificent is utterly gorgeous . The amount of detail on it is a real sight to behold up close. The close lines and different colored pieces really make it pop. The etching work is quite probably the best I've ever seen in this game. This ship is on a whole other level of quality. It's as if they had to use a different machine to make the parts for this one which was capable of more fine detail. Really, really beautiful from every angle.

The Counselor is about on par with the Corellian Corvette though the latter seems to have more fine surface sculpting. It's also only two colors though so it can't help but look a bit unimpressive compared to the Separatists. An ok piece though I would argue the Corvette and Nebulon edge it out.

The Acclamator definitely seems too light in color. It's about the same white as the Consulars which strikes me as off. Also I find the paint on the centre red stripe is a little inconsistent along the edges on the way down near the nose. I have to say this one seems a little beneath FFGs usual standards. Also, the lack of off-color plating makes it seem strange when compared to it's Star Destroyer cousins (but that last one is more of an observation).

The fighters look great.

How does everyone else feel?

Edit: I really hope the colour of the Acclamator doesn't mean the Venator will be forced into being the same colour. It reminds me of the duller bone-white they used in ANH for the first ISDs. I'd probably get used to it but still but I think it would definitely look off.

As far as Imperial vrs Republic colouring goes, I remember seeing the Arquitens in the animated show and loving the design of the little ship. I was excited when the Imperials were going to get their version, but when I saw it for the first time in art work, it almost looked like a different ship. It was so bland and grey. It still had the same shape, but it’s odd how colour can change things. I’m not sure how the miniatures do in recreating the animated or movie colours (still waiting for mine to ship), but it should be very different than the Empire version of grey.

The Hardcell colours, from what I’ve seen, don’t seem accurate to the movies . The colours look more muted in the movies. Then again, I’ve only seen photos of the minis. 🥺

On 12/7/2020 at 12:26 PM, hufflazon said:

I always keep the plastic each ship comes in. It’s actually a great way to store them, though it does take a bit more room than other methods. I just buy the cheap bins from Michael’s to store them in, plastic, ship and all.

Edited by JediPartisan

Yeah, same here. The smalls i jjust pack but I've kept the plastic for all the medium and large ones.

11 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

I always keep the plastic each ship comes in. It’s actually a great way to store them, though it does take a bit more room than other methods. I just buy the cheap bins from Michael’s to store them in, plastic, ship and all.

I started with pluck foam shaped to fit but the amount I was spending on foam was getting silly. Now I also keep the plastic and store everything ion a 60l plastic crate. I'll probably need a new crate soon, but it does the job admirably (and the plastic normally has enough space to store the ships base too!)

My stuff arrived this morning and looks lovely. I'll agree with the sentiment that the Acclamator looks too clean, but I think thats mostly the big expanses of white on the model. The smaller Consulars look much better because there isn't as much of the bland, flat white colour. It's nothing a quick shade job can't fix though.

The Separatist ships look great (particularly the Munificent). I haven't had chance to take anything out of boxes yet though!

I really like the Clams. They look pristine, new - as they should for their first battle ever. They haven't fought yet, so why would they have a patchwork of colors?

If anything, I would say that the Imps should look like this, and the clones like the Imps, because the Imps are more likely to properly replace pieces and paint the ship to look uniform, to keep up appearances, whereas the Clones encouraged personalization.

Anyway way, all the models are awesome, and I like the paint jobs.

I must be an exception. I have 2 of the Republic starters, and they both have a nice level of wash on the acclimators. All 3 ships in both sets look new, but not the snow white everyone seems to be getting.

As somone who started during wave 1, I am very impressed with how far quality has improved on these new models.

Edited by legofiddl3
3 hours ago, legofiddl3 said:

I must be an exception. I have 2 of the Republic starters, and they both have a nice level of wash on the acclimators. All 3 ships in both sets look new, but not the snow white everyone seems to be getting.

As somone who started during wave 1, I am very impressed with how far quality has improved on these new models.

I've only gotten 1 starter (Republic) so far, but my Acclamator looks really nice. A good substantial wash over the whole model... I was prepared to hit it with some thinned Nuln Oil based on what I saw online but mine looks fine as-is. Luck of the draw I guess.

I picked up two Republic Starters, and the Acclamators in both are a very stark white with almost no wash, and the maroon line down the center is inconsistent and obscures a lot of the detail under it. It's gonna take a fair amount of after-market painting effort to salvage them, in my opinion. Easily my least favorite Armada paint job--even worse than the original MC80 runs. I agree that I really hope the Venator and Pelta get a different paint scheme... because this light scheme just didn't work in practice.

I haven't picked up any Separatist stuff personally, but the bit of it I've seen looks really good, at least.

The ships in my Republic starter look great. The wash is on point. All the details pop out nicely, while the ship overall still looks clean. Paintjob from the factory seems to be inconsistent. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones.

I have seen the same since the beginning. Two of my gladiators are perfect, the third one has much less wash on it. Same with arquitens, quazars...