Vassal Clone Wars Tournament

By Green Knight, in Star Wars: Armada

With Tokra at the bottom πŸ˜‚

Is there a deadline for joining apart from the fleet submission one? Otherwise I am in (EUR).

10 minutes ago, Darth Veggie said:

Is there a deadline for joining apart from the fleet submission one? Otherwise I am in (EUR).

The actual fleet submission is the actual joining 😁

Module has been updated to 4.1.0

This is the official version for the tourney.

Read more here:

Is there a way to confirm that our fleet submission was received with no issues - I did get the message that my information was transmitted to the ISB - a nice touch :)

2 minutes ago, stoebner said:

Is there a way to confirm that our fleet submission was received with no issues - I did get the message that my information was transmitted to the ISB - a nice touch :)

You should not doubt the ISB... or they will send Agent Kallus to look into the situation πŸ€ͺ

If you got the confirmation, I got the list.

If I find any problems/errors, I will notify that user.

Once the tourney begins and pairings are done, all lists with be visible in TTT.

I just want to confirm a subsequent submission will update our fleet? I'm having some hard times with tough choices πŸ˜…

7 minutes ago, bleachorange said:

I just want to confirm a subsequent submission will update our fleet? I'm having some hard times with tough choices πŸ˜…

I use the last submitted version, oh Lord of Tweaks and Second-Guessing

2 hours ago, Green Knight said:

You should not doubt the ISB... or they will send Agent Kallus to look into the situation πŸ€ͺ

If you got the confirmation, I got the list.

If I find any problems/errors, I will notify that user.

Once the tourney begins and pairings are done, all lists with be visible in TTT.

I have questions about Agent Kallus's loyalty...

1 minute ago, stoebner said:

I have questions about Agent Kallus's loyalty...

Pryce has FULL confidence in him.

Is there a vassal etiquette guide? I have played a lot of vassal, but always very casual. I wasn't sure what type of rules most folks abide by for tournament play. For example - I suspect you place but do not 'notch' the movement tool until your clicks are set. Guessing you can only have one set of range/arcs turned on at one time to simulate only handling one tool at a time? Just want to be a courteous player :)

2 hours ago, stoebner said:

Is there a vassal etiquette guide? I have played a lot of vassal, but always very casual. I wasn't sure what type of rules most folks abide by for tournament play. For example - I suspect you place but do not 'notch' the movement tool until your clicks are set. Guessing you can only have one set of range/arcs turned on at one time to simulate only handling one tool at a time? Just want to be a courteous player :)

In my experience, casual is the guide, though game rules are mostly followed. For example, players frequently allow their opponents to do an action they forgot about or correct a mistake when using shortcut keys - e.g. assign a token they forgot earlier, use an upgrade card, even sometimes reset a command dial if it was really important and an obvious mistake. I don't often notch the movement piece, since that sometimes lags the game. I do try to only use one range ruler at a time though.

One Ruler at a time

Dont take 30 mins to think, time still matters

Fly Casual, be understanding

Dont take 30 mins to think, this is a competitive game

Dont take 30 mins to think, your gut reaction is your best move in a tournament. The trick is to learn from your games with hindsight to improve your gut reaction. Its too late to think in the moment.

2 hours ago, stoebner said:

This is info GK has posted in past tourneys that I've taken from him. He of course can alter any of these but they still seem to hold true:

Shamelessly stolen from @Green Knight :

Rulings and clarifications

MEASURING:

When a squadron activates, signal activation by toggling the activation slider immediately . Do NOT wait until the squad is done activation.

When moving squadrons, players may utilize a SECOND range/distance overlay (in addition to the distance overlay of the squadron they are moving), without violating the two-tool rule.

When a squadron is placed, the final position cannot be adjusted. A squadron has NOT been finally placed until the owning player releases the mouse button and declares he's done (report: SET or similar confirmation). I will allow some nudging to get the squadron into its final position but this should be done quickly and with intention.

SLOW PLAY:

Slow play is hard to adjudicate on Vassal since we don't use a timer, but 3 hours should be MORE THAN SUFFICIENT to complete a match. Add 30 mins if using text-chat only. If matches take longer than this, one or both players are guilty of slow play.

The most typical (Vassal) mode of slow play is over-measuring. This is when a player takes several minutes to fiddle with the maneuver tool, even for inconsequential moves. Often he will also clear the maneuver tool and remeasure distance/range, before resuming fiddling with the man tool. If both players do this on a regular basis, games take forever.

Other examples include taking a long time to decide upon setup, setting new commands slowly, having trouble selecting which ship to activate, constantly fiddling with squadrons' final positions (now illegal), etc.

If you feel your opponent is taking too long CALL HIM OUT IN A POLITE, YET CONCISE MANNER. Just be sure you're not guilty of the same. My point isn't that player should rush; my point is that reasonably fast play is more fun for all. If both players go into the match having speedy play as a goal, this should not be a problem.

OTHER RULES:

Scoring: Standard scoring from the tourney regs (Swiss rounds).

Conceding: If a player concedes, his opponent scores a win (8 tournament points and 140 MoV during Swiss). If, however, the winner would score MORE as calculated from the end state, he scores that number of tournament points and MoV instead. This rule WILL be enforced; no auto 10-1 wins for a player whose opponent has conceded. Conceding without good cause is just lame; so don't.

No show: If a player fails to log on for a scheduled match his opponent receives the the win (8 tournament points and 140 MoV).

Failure to schedule: If players are unable to schedule a game they both receive a loss (0 tournament points and 0 MoV). If it's clearly the fault of one of the players it counts as a no show for that player instead.

Extensions: If you cannot complete a game within the period allotted to a round, contact the TO (CaribbeanNinja). We might be able to work something if the delay isn’t too long and the game is definitely going to be played. If you fail to contact the TO this counts as failure to schedule.

Saving and resuming: If a match cannot be completed in one sitting, it's OK to save and resume at a later date IF BOTH PLAYERS AGREE. If they can't agree, one player must concede. It is therefore a good idea to establish for how long both parties can play before starting the match. This rule also applies if one player suddenly has a RL interruption and must leave.

@stoebner

Don't be these guys:

Does anybody know what Discord bot converts Warlords text lists to vlog files, and how to use it? I think I read mention of one.

37 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

Does anybody know what Discord bot converts Warlords text lists to vlog files, and how to use it? I think I read mention of one.

Should be the glorious ShrimpBot

Just start a PM with ShrimpBot and lead with the !vassal then enter list. Wait 10 seconds and out hope your vassal list.

We're up to 26 player in US, 19 in EURO.

About half have already submitted their lists. Most of the rest will hopefully submit theirs by the end of the day.

Use this form: https://forms.gle/q7SLpbAuZvDM86jQ6

I urge everyone to switch over to 4.1.0 for the tourney.

You get 2 things:

• All the updated cards, ease of reference
  • Non-recurring upgrades don't automatically unexhaust.

Don't be THAT player. Update.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Armada

12 hours ago, stoebner said:

What @Ginkapo wrote above.

I've also updated the first post with a variation of the old etiquette guidelines @CaribbeanNinja posted.

Please take note of SLOW PLAY, TWO-TOOL USE, and SQUADRON PLAY.

Quick tutorial showing how to quickly generate Vassal setup files using the Discord server's Shrimpbot.

The no. 1 life hack for Vassal players...

I'm in

where should i submit my fleet??

1 minute ago, Green Squadron 3 said:

where should i submit my fleet??

Using the link provided :D

...it's right under Ahsoka image :D