Unfortunate casualty of the new RRG

By Darth evil, in Star Wars: Legion

Please don’t feed the trolls

28 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

Please don’t feed the trolls

guess youre not getting any food then.

On 11/24/2020 at 5:17 AM, KommanderKeldoth said:

I agree. The tanks are still very pricey commanders, comparable to jedi commanders.

Yes and no. Most of the cost is the tank. The field commander is like 5 points.

So if you subtract out the cost of the tank its actually the cheapest commander by far.

The AAT isnt that much cheaper than Grievious

Previously you had to take Grievous before you could even take an AAT. Now you can take Grievous or an AAT. So youre saving 170 points if you were going to take an AAT anyway by not having to take Grievous anymore. 170 points is considerable.

Meanwhile Imperials and Rebels still have to take a commander before they can take a heavy vehicle. While CIS and GAR can choose between a commander or a heavy vehicle. Thats not equally fair to all factions. Imperials and rebels have to pay a tax if they want to take heavy vehicles because theyre still required to take a commander. Therein lies the problem.

So the simplest fix would be to give field commanders to every faction. And on a side note field commander should actually promote the rank to commander.

Edited by Khobai
1 hour ago, Khobai said:

What I hate is that FFG said the AAT was the baseline for all heavy vehicles, that they wanted to raise Imperial and Rebel vehicles to that baseline, and then they completely failed to do that. T-47, AT-ST... none of them are at the AAT baseline.

FFG didnt follow through on what they said they were going to. And again Im simply going by what FFG said... its not something I made up.

First off thanks for quoting me multiple times when I just posted one paragraph.

Second one developer said this in one interview, before final approval of the new rules reference. Obviously someone else in the development team disagreed.

Third, I’m sorry. So it’s not a permanent dodge token on the saber tank, it’s a permanent dodge token on Padmé who is now required in all gar lists, and all she can do is generate tokens and always has the tokens before anything else can activate every turn. You know I must have missed that rules change.

And yes I do understand that token sharing is a staple for gar, however the saber tank can only be included in this via one of 3 things. You put the clone pilot on it, which is only good for one attack per turn, (and you can’t take that and the field commander pilot at the same time) or you have Padmé or you have Anakin in the list. And for either of them to be effective they had to have activated before anyone shot at the tank.

1 hour ago, Khobai said:

I never said Saber Tanks always take anti-armor rockets. You made that up with your nonsense babbling.

Ok fine I’ll bite on that, please show me one time that you referenced the saber tank vs any heavy and you didn’t assume it had the anti-armor rockets.

23 minutes ago, Khobai said:

. And on a side note field commander should actually promote the rank to commander.

So the reason that didn’t happen was if they did that you could have a list with 3 heavies in it. It still gets the commander token on the field but for the list building it is still considered a heavy to prevent shenanigans.

2 hours ago, Shadowhawk252 said:

So the reason that didn’t happen was if they did that you could have a list with 3 heavies in it. It still gets the commander token on the field but for the list building it is still considered a heavy to prevent shenanigans.

I'm not the biggest fan of the new field commander rule, mostly because I play GCW. But it would have been nice to make the rule such that the unit does get promoted to commander, but it happens after list building.

44 minutes ago, thestag said:

I'm not the biggest fan of the new field commander rule, mostly because I play GCW. But it would have been nice to make the rule such that the unit does get promoted to commander, but it happens after list building.

This is what makes the rule feel like it's half-baked. Every other promotion or commander substitution changes the rank.

This is the lone exception, which makes it feel like a mistake.

Edited by SoonerTed
Typo
4 hours ago, Shadowhawk252 said:

nah you could just make the field commander get promoted to the commander at the start of the game.

that way list construction rules would still apply.

again the field commander rules were just poorly implemented... fixing them would be very easy.

field commander requires two changes:

1) at the start of the game, if you have no other commander, you must promote a field commander to the commander rank.

2) weiss and wedge both get field commander and cost 5 points each.

that more or less fixes all the issues with field commander.

Edited by Khobai
46 minutes ago, Khobai said:

nah you could just make the field commander get promoted to the commander at the start of the game.

that way list construction rules would still apply.

again the field commander rules were just poorly implemented... fixing them would be very easy.

field commander requires two changes:

1) at the start of the game, if you have no other commander, you must promote a field commander to the commander rank.

2) weiss and wedge both get field commander and cost 5 points each.

that more or less fixes all the issues with field commander.

Which is essentially how covert ops works. It's such a simple fix it looks just like a dev oversight.

(Much disappointment in this RRG)

1 hour ago, SoonerTed said:

Which is essentially how covert ops works. It's such a simple fix it looks just like a dev oversight.

(Much disappointment in this RRG)

Looking through the RRG and noticing more typos than usual, I wonder if this document got pushed out the door prematurely after the dev team got laid off.

Guys, @Khobai is a troll. Stop feeding the troll.

1 hour ago, Mokoshkana said:

It's enough to ignore a user if you don't want to read their posts, but you are not a moderator or the thread police. It's up to other users to decide whether or not they want to engage with someone. Constantly making the same post about a specific user is not making anything better, and could also be construed as harassment. Please stop.

I think they could still change it to allow Weiss as a field commander.

I'd really like to see Imperial probe droids with a deep strike ability ( infiltrate at the end of turn 1-2) white dice attack and defense. Observe action, self destruct, something cool like that.

3 hours ago, Mokoshkana said:

The boards have an ignore feature, people should just use it.

4 hours ago, Mokoshkana said:

*gets out a big bucket of chum*

Well everyone knows that GAR didnt deserve this nerf! And the airspeeder is by far the best heavy in the game!

16 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

*gets out a big bucket of chum*

Well everyone knows that GAR didnt deserve this nerf! And the airspeeder is by far the best heavy in the game!

NO WAY GAR TOTALLY DESERVED EVERY NERF THEY GOT AND THE AIRSPEEDER IS JUST SLIGHTLY LESS BAD NOW BUT STILL BAD.

NERF CIS!!!!!111

1 hour ago, KalEl814 said:

The boards have an ignore feature, people should just use it.

The problem with this boards ignore feature is that is doesn’t block quotes. When others quote a troll, it still displays that nonsense when I view the thread. If ignore blocked initial posts and quotes, then I’d be a happy camper.

seriously you have me on ignore and youre still complaining?

everyone should just quote me from now on... lol

anyways back to the discussion... on Tuesday I got a chance to use the Occupier Tank for the first time after the rules update.

The first game I paired the Occupier Tank up with scout troopers+sniper because scout troopers are much cheaper now. You get to use the base of the tank to measure the range for the scout troopers which gives them a slight range boost because of how long the tank is. With the Tank's base theyre like range 2.5 with 10 black dice, sharpshooter 1, and pierce 1 which is a really strong attack pool and now its only 76 points and the tank gives them heavy cover! There might be some play with the saboteur and the occupier tank because you can throw a mine, shoot, then move away and detonate without hurting your own guys. But I think the sniper is probably the better option.

The second game I paired the Occupier tank up with snowtroopers+del meeko for repairs. The snowtroopers disembarked and then did their whole move out from behind the tank, shoot, move back behind the tank. While del meeko repaired the tank. Palpatine was my commander in that game and I was able to hide him behind the Tank with the snowtroopers and kept puppetmastering the snowtroopers with pulling the strings. It really frustrated my opponent because all he could shoot was the tank. The tank proved to be a good alternative to keeping palpatine alive since I couldnt fit any royal guards into the list.

I won both games because I was able to control the center using the Occupier tank.

Open transport makes the Occupier Tank much better than the AT-ST right now. The AT-ST is still pretty meh and doesnt do anything special. They didnt fix the AT-ST at all and its weapon options are still outrageously expensive. The AT-ST weapons needed 5 point reductions across the board. Weiss getting field commander mightve been interesting too although it kindve gimps both imperial vehicles if they dont have surge to hit.

Edited by Khobai

I also think the Occupier Tank is super interesting. I'd like to run them with Snowtroopers and Flamethrower (maybe even an extra regular Trooper for another FragGrenade) ... once I can play again. This is devastating for Droids and still solid against everything else (xb+5r crit convert no cover).

I'd be hesitant to put full scouts in it. Heavy cover is not enough to keep white saves alive. still the opponent has to take a hard choice on what to focus first, so it might work. That's why I kit out the Landspeeder that drives Han around, though this list will definitely be for fun only.

3 minutes ago, SailorMeni said:

I also think the Occupier Tank is super interesting. I'd like to run them with Snowtroopers and Flamethrower (maybe even an extra regular Trooper for another FragGrenade) ... once I can play again. This is devastating for Droids and still solid against everything else (xb+5r crit convert no cover).

I'd be hesitant to put full scouts in it. Heavy cover is not enough to keep white saves alive. still the opponent has to take a hard choice on what to focus first, so it might work. That's why I kit out the Landspeeder that drives Han around, though this list will definitely be for fun only.

I was using palpatine so the scouts also got barrier on them

1 hour ago, Khobai said:

I was using palpatine so the scouts also got barrier on them

Wow, multiple high threat units and scout double-fire. I like. How many activations? Couldn't be more than 8 I guess.

9 activations but yeah it definitely wasnt a competitive list

we were both playing fairly casual lists and messing around

The first list I was running was 3 units of scouttroopers, 2 shoretroopers with 2 mortars, palpatine, and the occupier. but yeah the idea was to barrier the scouts while they were in heavy cover on the occupier then pulling the strings them for double fire lol. its a gross amount of black dice with sharpshooter and pierce if you can keep the scouts alive. plus palpatine gives the scouts surge tokens also so they can surge on their attack rolls.

I tried snowtroopers+del meeko in the second list to be able to repair the tank. just because Ive never found a use for del meeko I always prefer gideon hask. they both worked well for me so its hard to say which was better.

So essentially what you wanna do is the Occupier Shuffle.

Turn 1) Palpatine starts the game inside the Occupier. Palpatine takes a dodge action, uses pulling the strings, and uses both force powers. The Occupier then double moves.

Turn 2) Palpatine disembarks and makes a speed-1 move, and uses pulling the strings or moves again, and uses both force powers (the order depends). You then embark a different unit onto the Occupier, preferably the one you just put force barrier on. Then the Occupier moves.

This helps you get Palpatine up the board first turn and sets your other unit up inside the Occupier for future shenanigans. I think I got the rules right on this and this should be the most efficient way of doing it to maximize your actions. There always reasons why you might change up the order you do things in but the important thing is to get Palpatine moving as far up the board as you can early on and take advantage of the fact he can disembark from the front end of the Occupier if terrain permits.

Palpatine has some options but I took Esteemed Leader, Force Barrier, Force Guidance, and Anger on Palpatine. You can certainly make cases for taking force reflexes or battle meditation as well. I took Esteemed Leader just because no Royal Guards and Aggressive Tactics costs too much now anyway (15 points really FFG?). You also might wanna slot a medical droid in your list to heal Palpatine but points are tight with both Palpatine and the Occupier and taking the medical droid probably means giving up a heavy weapon for the Shoretroopers. But youre still looking to set Palpatine up for his 3-pip with as much health as possible.

Edited by Khobai
On 11/27/2020 at 9:12 AM, Khobai said:

Turn 1) Palpatine starts the game inside the Occupier. Palpatine takes a dodge action, uses pulling the strings, and uses both force powers. The Occupier then double moves.

I'd be very hesitant to put Palpatine in the tank. He usually can be seen and shot then. Every wound hurts and Heavy cover is not enough protection especially since you can't be guardianed while in the tank ...

On 11/26/2020 at 2:57 AM, KommanderKeldoth said:

Looking through the RRG and noticing more typos than usual, I wonder if this document got pushed out the door prematurely after the dev team got laid off.

Almost assuredly. If I recall correctly, wasn't the last FAQ push also plagued with typos and crucial missed words/incorrect text?

Except this time the devs aren't around to fix any issues the next day.

7 hours ago, SailorMeni said:

I'd be very hesitant to put Palpatine in the tank. He usually can be seen and shot then. Every wound hurts and Heavy cover is not enough protection especially since you can't be guardianed while in the tank ...

you can always disembark him on turn 1 and hide him behind the tank or behind terrain if theres any serious range 4 threats.

but if you double move with the tank and disembark palpatine on turn 1 he cant do anything other than disembark (he cant even use free actions).

however the tank is still the fastest way to get palpatine down field where he needs to be.

the problem with having to foot slog palpatine and double move him is that it really cuts down on the number of times you can use pulling the strings. which is why sticking him in the tank first turn is a good compromise, hes generally safe from harm on turn 1. Usually most of the serious threats are range 3 or less.

Edited by Khobai