A Tabletop Admiral survey of some kind...

By werdnaegni, in Star Wars: Legion

So the site pooped its pants recently, as you saw. I patched it up so it will survive now, but these are just band-aids on a site I wrote 5 years ago as my first real project and have been constantly revamping to meet my standards.

I'm going to rebuild the site from the ground up (minus most of the database work, since that would be silly to redo, though I will be optimizing a few things). I already started a few weeks ago, but wasn't intending to tell anybody since it's a long ways off, but I realized it would be dumb to not get your input.

So I just would like to know from you all a few things. Answer any of them that you choose:

`1. What do you like about TTA that may not be present in the other options, that you want me to make sure I don't change?

2. What do you wish TTA had, whether it's just a pipe dream you thought up yourself, or something you saw in another builder for Legion or another game altogether?

3. What do other list builders do that you DON'T like? What concerns you about a "revamp"? "I hope he doesn't do x that other sites do."

I think that's it. My intention is to recreate the TTA experience "but better". Faster, sleeker (but not overly modernized to the point of flashy impractical nonsense), and importantly, easier to work with and add to for me in the future.

Old TTA will not go away until 99% of people are satisfied with the new one. There will be options implemented as I go to address any complaints or "I like the old way better" things, so you can just switch to some kind of "classic" theme or something. More on that as I get into it, but all that to say...don't worry, nothing fundamental is changing. There may be options added (and they may be the default) for what I view to be a better experience, but the last thing I want to do is drive away the people who have been with me for 5ish years.

And while we're here, just want to say thanks to everyone for being so supportive, both with your words and financially, through the recent hiccup. I appreciate this community and how supportive and personal we can all be.

TTA as a list builder is fantastic. Would you want to hear input for stuff beyond just list building? A dice sim would be cool to be able to use. Being able to click on 2 units or a command card with an attack and see a sample attack/defense would be AMAZING.

16 minutes ago, Applebottom said:

TTA as a list builder is fantastic. Would you want to hear input for stuff beyond just list building? A dice sim would be cool to be able to use. Being able to click on 2 units or a command card with an attack and see a sample attack/defense would be AMAZING.

Good input, thanks!

Custom card creation would be great. I know you already have that as a pipe dream. But I would absolutely love the ability to create custom cards without using photoshop. But no matter where TTA goes I'll be supporting it. You should post a link to your peatron so more people can help fund it!

Honestly i like the best out of all of the ones I've used. My favorite part is that its always updated quickly, had previewed content and works easily.

The add buttons are simple and not too gimmicky like some other sites.

The only thing that would make it better for me is if it was an app where if for some reason i was buried underground or stuck in north dakota without cell reception, i could still ise it. But thats a whole different platform, so its not a fair complaint.

3 minutes ago, curtis21 said:

Custom card creation would be great. I know you already have that as a pipe dream. But I would absolutely love the ability to create custom cards without using photoshop. But no matter where TTA goes I'll be supporting it. You should post a link to your peatron so more people can help fund it!

Custom units are definitely in the...cards. Good one, I know.

I feel like I already post my Patreon more than I'm comfortable with, but if anyone happens to need it, Here It Is

$1 away from $100. Wee.

2 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Honestly i like the best out of all of the ones I've used. My favorite part is that its always updated quickly, had previewed content and works easily.

The add buttons are simple and not too gimmicky like some other sites.

The only thing that would make it better for me is if it was an app where if for some reason i was buried underground or stuck in north dakota without cell reception, i could still ise it. But thats a whole different platform, so its not a fair complaint.

Right now, an app isn't planned, but it's possible that after this new version is done, that's where I'll go next. Whether it's me specifically, or just forking out some money to have someone convert the website to an app. A ways off, but it's definitely often requested, and once it's done, as long as it's pulling the same data, updating shouldn't really be much work. But I'm sure I'm oversimplifying. Never made an app.

Edited by werdnaegni

One of the things I liked about Fab's generator was that it allowed me to track my collection, as well as generate lists either with the models I have or to create a "shopping list" for which expansions I would need in order to gain the physical cards in order to make that list a reality.

The only thing i can think of is fixing cards like stance showing on the wrong units but other then that its great.

Edited by Geekboy75g
19 minutes ago, SFC Snuffy said:

One of the things I liked about Fab's generator was that it allowed me to track my collection, as well as generate lists either with the models I have or to create a "shopping list" for which expansions I would need in order to gain the physical cards in order to make that list a reality.

You should be able to track your collection now, but maybe you mean something else by that?

I do think it would be cool to show what things you're missing from a list, so I'll definitely make note of that.

1. The clean, simple and efficient layout. I cannot stress this enough, the layout is fantastic and is what every other list builder is missing. Easy access to both the list of units and card previews.

2. As others have said, a custom card creator would be great, but at the moment there aren't to many features I think are desperately lacking.

3. Convoluted layouts, I hate having to go through multiple layers just to add a new unit, having them all easily accessible on the side is great. Also having all the cards displayed constantly I find also clutters up the UI considerably, but the current 1 at a time preview system is much better imo.

I love the site. My favorite list builder.

A quicker or more visible way to switch factions while list building would be nice.

Also maybe a way to build two lists at the same time. My wife and I play together and like to compare and talk about the lists before we play.

Edited by PhoenixOfCopper

Any thoughts on adding Armada into the list builder? Other than that, I use Tabletop Admiral over the others because of the simple and clean ui. Easy enough to add and remove stuff, though I do wish it felt less cluttered while I'm using my phone (the most common device I have on the go for list building). Mostly, I wish it was easier to see how many points you have already spent out of your 800 without having to constantly scroll down (and I realize that the bar remains static, though it'll disappear every time I scroll back up to look at things, I guess this is intentional).

Edited by Kirjath08
10 minutes ago, Kirjath08 said:

Any thoughts on adding Armada into the list builder? Other than that, I use Tabletop Admiral over the others because of the simple and clean ui. Easy enough to add and remove stuff, though I do wish it felt less cluttered while I'm using my phone (the most common device I have on the go for list building). Mostly, I wish it was easier to see how many points you have already spent out of your 800 without having to constantly scroll down (and I realize that the bar remains static, though it'll disappear every time I scroll back up to look at things, I guess this is intentional).

I considered making an Armada builder, but Armada Warlords is pretty good and established. I can't image this far into the game's life, people are going to switch to mine. Effort vs reward, ya know?

As far the bar disappearing, not intentional, no. But now that I test it, I see that you're right. I can try to see what's causing that.

And I agree, mobile leaves something to be desired. Going to have to give a lot of thought to that. Thinking a little side menu you can expand. Not sure though.

1. I really like TTA. It's clean, direct to the point, shows the cards and is easy to use. I usually compare it to YASB 2.0 (X-Wing), but I like TTA even more.
I also hope you'll keep the card database - that's pretty useful!

2. As others have said, an app and a 'mathhammer' (dice sim) would be nice. Also, make it faster (it takes some time to load)!
Regarding the Command Cards selection: it would be really cool if they were separated by the units providing them, instead of a unique list:

TTA-CC-layout.png

3. I don't use other builders, so can't say much on this matter.

keep up the good work, I almost exclusively use TTA!

Here are 2 suggestions for minor changes but big impact (at least for me):

1) implement a direct link to list creation for the 4 factions in the drop down menu
When building lists I constantly switch between factions. I'd love to have quicker access to this. If you could implement a direct link in the dropdown for the 4 factions that would save a click and loading time for the selection page in between.

2) implement a randomizer for the setup cards in the image view (and maybe give the last in the row a grey border or something)
I already love the image view of the list to avoid card cluttering. With this implementation one could directly start selecting setup cards without first sorting through the physical cards.

love the site use it for most of my building,

it would be nice if when you clciked on a card to show it then the image of the card would be on the screen rather than having to scroll up to the top of the page to see it every time, especially with armies that have a lot of different units in it.

maybe the cards in the middle track the scroll so they are always on screen?

16 hours ago, werdnaegni said:

1. What do you like about TTA that may not be present in the other options, that you want me to make sure I don't change?

Menu simplicity is a big factor. Being able to duplicate selections is big too. Previews of cards are extremely helpful.

2. What do you wish TTA had, whether it's just a pipe dream you thought up yourself, or something you saw in another builder for Legion or another game altogether?

The ability adjust the order of items in your list. Even if it was within it's own rank. Often times I'll want to organize my corps units by what they have on them which means I have to enter them the exact order I'd like them to be printed in. If I had the ability to drag selections up or down in the list it would be very handy.

The skirmish "cards" would be really awesome.

A cookie based collection system similar to how Fabs would be cool. though with Legion not as neccessary.

In a perfect world I think I'd like to see this Legion adopt a similar design to that of Ryan Kingston's Armada builder. Where when you select "Add a commander" it brings up a full size image of each available option (maybe with added text because of the Legion rebalances, Armada ships haven't changed cost at all so they don't have that issue).

https://armada.ryankingston.com/

3. What do other list builders do that you DON'T like? What concerns you about a "revamp"? "I hope he doesn't do x that other sites do."

The biggest things I want to avoid are heavy load times, log in requirements, and individual windows for card previews lol Like the great Yahtzee says,

"the less clicks the better"
7mPruuI.png

And while we're here, just want to say thanks to everyone for being so supportive, both with your words and financially, through the recent hiccup. I appreciate this community and how supportive and personal we can all be.

You're welcome, and thanks again for all the work you put into this builder. I use it almost daily. lol

I have thoroughly loved using TTA for years now, but I did see one function on another list builder that I liked. Sometimes I will add 2-3 squads of something, and then realize that I wanted them all to have an upgrade. Right now, in TTA, I have to eliminate them down to 1 squad, and then add the upgrade, and then duplicate them again. In this other list builder, they had a check box for adding the upgrade to all of the squads of that type if you wanted. I don't know how that would be possible given your layout, but it would be a nice convenience to have (perhaps a checkbox at the top that assumes when you make a change to 1 squad, you are making the change to all squads of that type, and you can uncheck it?)

It's really great and thanks for doing it.

The only thing I can think of is that I often get auto signed out for some reason, may be on my end. Trouble is sometimes I'll make a list but cant save unless I sign in. When I sign in, the list I was working on disappears and I have to start again. Not a huge issue really but would be handy

Right now the only thing I dislike is how the saved squads list is laid out. It's hard to read.

Being able to copy a squad would be nice. There are a lot of times I'd like to copy a squad and then tweak the new squad.

21 hours ago, werdnaegni said:

Also, and this is likely an ask, but a custom option for each rank where we can enter a name a cost and upgrade slots before adding it to the list side (and then allow players to add upgrades or even custom upgrades from there) would be great. I've talked to a number of people who want to start playtesting homebrew and having a builder that lets us easily organize lists with custom units would be great.

Edited by Darth Sanguis
22 hours ago, werdnaegni said:

Based on escalation leagues and the pre-estabilished Raid Operations, I'd like to have an option for me to customize the point total of my list. In addition to normal, skirmish and grand. Please give the option for custom so I could have a 588 or 313 point list. In a similar vein to that, being able to customize the min/max of each unit type that goes in a custom list.

I'd like to see the ability to add more/different/custom upgrades to units. Again, in the raid operations there are some strange combinations you can get like having 2 personnel upgrades on a single unit.

An option to create a random army based on what you currently own would be fun. Tell the system how many points you want, give a min/max of each unit type and off you go. It would also be nice if you could have armies be generated based on preset conditions, like more units/less upgrades, fewer units but more expensive ones, etc.

The ability to create armies outside of faction limitations. I'd like some battle droids in my rebel army and some Mandalorians in my imperial army, among other weird combinations.

Lastly, it would be real nice to have the images show up in a 1:1 scale when I go to print them out. I have fairly extensive rebel and imperial armies, but it's still easier to print it out rather than go find all the cards. This becomes especially useful with armament upgrades. For those I pull the card out and flip it depending on what I'm using. I just set it on top of the image of that card and it freaks out my OCD when the card is a little smaller than the printout.

I'd like to see improvements viewing "latest lists"

ie, Current "Popular" lists as an example.

5 hours ago, byrns said:

I'd like to see improvements viewing "latest lists"

ie, Current "Popular" lists as an example.

What would be the driver behind a list being "popular"? One that's clicked on a lot? Or one that has many other lists that are exactly the same?