Why Are You Cancelling Your Preorder??

By Darth Meanie, in X-Wing

I literally don't get it.

Did you never enjoy this game as a game??

Is it not worth playing without prizes??

Can you not continue to play in a year if there is no new hotness??

Do you think you are helping the game to survive by cancelling??

Edited by Darth Meanie

wait, who's cancelling orders?

10 minutes ago, player655164 said:

wait, who's cancelling orders?

Well, @Cgriffith , for one. And a few other folks have stated the same in the AMG thread.

This really makes “Execute Order 66” parse weird, man.

Put me down for not; and, even if the game ended up cancelled, I'd still stock up on whatever I still wanted to have for continued play. A game doesn't have to be "supported" to remain viable to me (he says, looking at his collection of Avalon Hill wargames).

Edited by Spinland

I’m buying stuff this wave, though I might start buying less coming up if more releases when I still can’t play.

Because unfortunately the only people I’ve been able to play games with in the pandemic don’t seem to have the attention span to play this game.

9 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Well I'm not going to cancel my X-wing pre-order. I have reason to suspect that it will in point of fact ship and even if the recent news on moving bring changes I am not on board with I want these upcoming ships to more or less "complete" my X-wing game.

I am considering cancelling my pre-order for the Clone Wars Armada items. I was under the impression that additional expansions would be quite likely for January but that was something of an informal announcement. Without assurance of the Q1 2021 alleged expansions I am in limbo with regards the Armada items I have on pre-order. I do not feel simply the starters and squadrons packs provide the complete Clone Wars experience I would be after. The Q1 expansions even if that is all there is would amount to "enough."

Had my pre-order for Armada not been made prior to this news I would not make one until more information about what's next was shared with us. I have little reason to think things are simply going to continue on as before given the leads for the games have been discharged with the move to the new studio.

I suspect for some it is simply a question of cutting ties sooner rather than later. Change is painful and giving up things is a change. Perhaps these folks have been seeking a way for quite sometime to make a change regarding their X-wing spending. Perhaps they have found one here. I certainly see the possibility of cutting my Armada habit. My Armada largely sits unused and it grows more difficult to justify continued purchases. I'm not that far from there with X-wing.

what an odd thread...

my pre-orders are still a go.

58 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

100% this. I enjoy the game - I will continue to enjoy the game.

My play group chatted a little about this the other night, and we have our game plan for how to deal with the changes, assuming they even exist. Should OP cease to exist, we'll make our own swag for community driven events (I mean, a lot of folks already do that). If this became a complete game, that'd be fine. We even accepted the idea of if they went to 3.0, we'd pick a revision number of 2.0 we liked and keep it.

There's a ton of choices.

24 minutes ago, Icelom said:

what an odd thread...

my pre-orders are still a go.

Only responding to a weird vibe coming off of other threads.

Glad to see than many are still all-in.

Just had my first set of acrylic movement templates arrive last week. I'm not going anywhere.

I guess it’s time to start surfing eBay for some deals on ships!

I am SO CANCELLING! Infact I am canceling so much that I am cancelling EVERYBODYs while I am at it! There said it! Pheuw felt good to get that of my chest... no more gym membership IT IS GONE!

Now where did I put my wallet!?! need to get one more V-wing preorder and a pizza :D

1 hour ago, Sciencius said:

I am SO CANCELLING! Infact I am canceling so much that I am cancelling EVERYBODYs while I am at it! There said it! Pheuw felt good to get that of my chest... no more gym membership IT IS GONE!

Now where did I put my wallet!?! need to get one more V-wing preorder and a pizza :D

Make sure to order us some chicken wings as well. And beer.

Why would they move the games to AMG then cancel them?

Why do we not expect more expansions for games when Asmodee has said they have a plan for the games through 2023?

I don’t get this at all.

Well, I didn't have any pre orders in anyway. But this might prompt me to pick up some of the stuff I haven't got yet, like the Huge Ship conversion kits, Epic Play pack, card / obstacle lacks etc...

45 minutes ago, dsul413 said:

Why do we not expect more expansions for games when Asmodee has said they have a plan for the games through 2023?

I don’t get this at all.

Oh, I’m sure it’ll keep going. They won’t cancel.

That said, change is scary, and without the old devs, it’s unclear how much of the plan they’ll stick with and how they change things along the way. There’s definite concern of constant power creep. Like 1.0 creep

I never pre-order. I have been buying my waves at the FLGS on release day and never had problems.

I hear people pre-ordering and then not receiving anything for days or weeks after release day. No thanks.

7 minutes ago, IceManHG said:

I never pre-order. I have been buying my waves at the FLGS on release day and never had problems.

I hear people pre-ordering and then not receiving anything for days or weeks after release day. No thanks.

It must vary by store. I got turned onto preordering at my local place one time and have considered it the go-to move ever since. They knock a few bucks off the preorders too, which certainly helps!

11 hours ago, Pa Weasley said:

Just had my first set of acrylic movement templates arrive last week. I'm not going anywhere.

Same team. I finally went in for some fancy tokens and dial IDs this year. I got a bit into the unofficial alt art scene. I did a big reorg of my storage solutions. I pruned some overgrown bits of my collection, while taking full advantage of the big B&N sale to flesh other parts out. I tracked down some 1.0 stuff. I’m redoing my game box again. I got into TTS to get/stay sharp.

When the world reopens, I will be beyond ready to get back out there. No corporate restructuring is gonna stop that.

4 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

without the old devs, it’s unclear how much of the plan they’ll stick with and how they change things along the way. There’s definite concern of constant power creep. Like 1.0 creep

So, here’s a dark and freaky possibility that I’ll whisper out into the void: we don’t need ‘em.

Oh, we want ‘em. No one wants the game to dead-end or decline. New stuff is the lifeblood of attracting an audience. But think about it: points and slots come from a PDF and/or a builder. If the AMG transition stinks things up too badly, you just need someone with an old copy of the PDF. Or a community body with enough clout to be able to publish such a thing themselves and get players to run with it.

Again: that’s not what would be best for the game. But it’s a backstop against the worst-case.

6 hours ago, dsul413 said:

I don’t get this at all.

Fresh design perspective/innovation/errata/adjustment, whatever you want to call it.

so like you move FFGs X-wing over to atomic mass games. But you want to change some stuff, like say, make X-wing based off of a D6 system for example. So then you rebrand it as atomic mass games Star Wars Starfighters or whatever. Now Star fighters uses the same templates and models as X-wing, but relies on the new rule set from Atomic.

I don’t expect this to happen immediately but somewhere down the road I can see this happening in some shape or form to each game system as it comes time for a major rules update.

Edited by FlyingAnchors
1 hour ago, CoffeeMinion said:

So, here’s a dark and freaky possibility that I’ll whisper out into the void: we don’t need ‘em.

Oh, we want ‘em. No one wants the game to dead-end or decline. New stuff is the lifeblood of attracting an audience. But think about it: points and slots come from a PDF and/or a builder. If the AMG transition stinks things up too badly, you just need someone with an old copy of the PDF. Or a community body with enough clout to be able to publish such a thing themselves and get players to run with it.

Again: that’s not what would be best for the game. But it’s a backstop against the worst-case.

If you've got a large enough community, doing a Blood Bowl (having entire new editions written and published by fan-committee) is always viable. Perhaps even more so now, as lots of people have gotten used to playing X-wing online over the course of this year.

4 hours ago, IceManHG said:

My FLGS both of them will not deal with Asmodee distribution. We were waiting for a week or more after release day for stuff among other problems.

5 hours ago, CoffeeMinion said:

No one wants the game to dead-end or decline. New stuff is the lifeblood of attracting an audience. But think about it: points and slots come from a PDF and/or a builder. If the AMG transition stinks things up too badly, you just need someone with an old copy of the PDF.

Our local play group has already considered this as a contingency.

What's that? I can't hear over the sound of the fun I am having thinking about all the new lists I'm going to play with the V-Wing and Eta 2...

No but seriously. I can understand peoples hesitation, no one likes change, but it hasn't impacted me. I look forward to seeing what Atomic can do.