X-Wing moving to Atomic Mass Games

By PhantomFO, in X-Wing

On 11/22/2020 at 4:39 AM, Darth Meanie said:

Yeah, I remember my first coreset vividly. . .

Burlesque Cosplay Star Wars Corset Black PVC Leather Ovebust Corsets And  Bustiers Zipper Korsett For Women Sexy Gothic Clothing|korsett for women  sexy|corsets and bustierscorset black - AliExpress

Now I finally get why you always are so mean to others ;D

22 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Yes, I've tried Deadeye and liked it. I have a hard time deciding which I would prefer: Marksman, Deadeye, or mixing both.

And my Crack Shot crack comes from an assumption it won't pull it's weight, so under your advisement I'll need to give it a try. 🙂

Now that Crack Shot is three points, I would like to rescind my recommendation for using it. Too expensive en masse now.

12 hours ago, dezzmont said:

See: Frimmels post

Epic was, flat out, very poorly marketed and released with mistake after mistake after mistake. It wasn't just 'People don't like leaving 200/6 for some reason.' Epic was released in a way that made it super clear FFG didn't care about it at all, and that means people aren't going to want to invest money into it or time into it.

Saying 'people just didn't want to leave 200/6' is a classic marketing 101 blunder.

There is a clear desire for Epic, even among players who never played it, and Epic is a 'genre' of product in the wargaming community that tends to be super popular and generate excitement.

In the case of Epic, the whoopsie in question was super clearly 'Bungle the release super hard it makes everyone really quite aware Epic does not have any real future on the horizon.' ( I'm going to get this one here, clearly false as the Wing card and HS ring* show they do still want to advance this front. And basically at the same pace as the release in 1.0, which is once a year. Something I've said previously.)

(not being a launch product, clearly being unfinished, almost certainly not having future products because FFG kept mismanaging reprints) worse. Over-essentializing 200/6 as a mode didn't help of course, 2.0 launched in a way that sold its primary mode as AMAZINGLY inflexible.

***FFG just looked at a small hill and said 'ew mode really hard, but it still wasn't something completely insurmountable. FFG just looked at a small hill and said 'why bother we are going all in on 200/6 anyway' and didn't even try, despite various playmodes kinda... being REALLY important for both OP AND casual markets in most minis games. much of this claim is subjectively interpreted, and you would need to back it up with facts. If that was their reasoning, we'd still be waiting on 2.0, let alone 2.0E. sorry, I don't find this even logical to deduce. And what you have interpreted you've put quite a bit of exaggerating into.)

As for environment cards, it feels similar: They were very much positioned as 'wacky side content.' They weren't super well integrated into how people 'thought' about X-wing, but there would have been easy ways to change that.

But even just re-framing the type of content environment cards...

The power of framing a product can't be understated. Subtle alterations to how you position what you are selling or advocating massively change the perception of it.

This would be such an easier convo live.

But at the same time, the power of promotion of a product has a limit, and can be overstated. Brilliant marketing of the ridiculous, like selling pet rocks, has a life span. Eventually the eskimo stops buying snow, and some never fall for the scam anyway. So really we're getting into double standards.

With respect to my dude @Frimmel , I completely disregard the app as any indicator, and we all rightly should. If that's your litmus test of how much FFG cared about the game as a product, then by logic you should've looked at the state of that app at release and said they didn't care about the entirety of the game at all. Clearly, that's ridiculous. And as a test that would have continued with repeatedly added mistakes to the app well before epic was released. Points incorrect, pilots missing, the works, that app has effed it up all the time. Further it should be noted that shortly after 2.0 released FFG made a statement about their intents on that app, and that they cared a lot and we're just as unhappy as we were. And it would be reasonable to assume that they didn't extend parts of that contract to Epic inclusion because of how bad it was, and they also stated they were looking at an app rebuild also before Epic, which could mean that they still wanted it in the new version, but we haven't seen it yet. Using a bungled app as a test for a bungled release is frankly inadmissible. It's simply not a good gauge. Respect to Frimmels, it wasn't a bad observation, I just don't hold it up under scrutiny as to whether it is a proof of anything. I'm sure you could find that reasonable. Especially when the end of day is that folks use third party apps a vast margin more than the official one anyway.

Just the idea of pointing to a few mistakes, that are being greatly exaggerated I'll add, and saying that's the cause of your observation is silly. Because I assure all, the number of missteps in standard is far worse and more consistent, and has caused barely a ripple. Just scan the errata they've made to standard in general. ****, the conversion drop didn't have a way to get double target lock tokens despite a card granting that exact effect.

The whole game, for it's entire life had had mistakes of various types and severity. Even at release. So at what point you use that as a proof is also suspect. Again, chicken and egg. How much is a blame casting, whick I think a lot of us in here are doing at this point and echo chamber group thinking ourselves into believing, or actually a cause of an issue is hard to tell. (Maybe we can get Alex to write a tell all? 🤔 🤣 )

Epic not being a launch product, is also a useless point to consider. That's like saying they didn't care about the B-wing because it's s-foils weren't a launch product like they should've been. The sheer scope of the 2.0 edition change necessitated the need for Epic to be back burner, this was the understood future for many back in the conversion announcement. We knew it was always going to come later. Understandably the core had to work first and foremost. Consider here that the scale of core level, mechanical, changes to create 2.0 were minor compared to the rewrite that Epic got in the end that had to be built along side and *on top of* the new 2.0 system. Mostly with no precedent to use for reference I'll add. Dual hull back to single, with new arcing, damaged turrets, new teams and officers, movement system, energy (every aspect thereof), native shield regen, the whole of Wing mechanics, AND missions. In no uncertain terms, let this be made abundantly clear: the mechanical core of X-wing got a Mani/pedi makeover compared to the double lung plus heart transplant with two knee replacements that Epic got. And props to FFG for totally nailing it. Coming from one of their toughest critics, they killin it.

Respectfully, It's frankly crass to downplay the success of it's new form, claiming it was 'unfinished', especially as you have even said you've never played it yet. Too quote some favorite Shakespeare, "The play is the thing". I don't understand why you think you can make such sweeping judgements of a product you've not tried, and weren't around for the earlier forms of. You have been blaming FFG for not selling you on the product, when it's marketing was just as much and more than most other releases. So ones left to wonder why you keep buying wave content, if the equivalent promotion and then some didn't get you to play Epic games. But somehow, miraculously, they did ONE small article for Aces High which is just one mission out of the Epic book. And out of nowhere people think it's a completely separate game mode? This is the disparity in public perception highlighted. Small games, they like. Big games, not so much. But you have nothing but opinion to support that Epic was rushed or unfinished. To the contrary, they had press comments going back to 2.0 release that it was in the works, saying at one point and I quote "we want to make sure we get it right." To much applause I'll add. From which I would conclude that Epic likely got extended in development more than a few times.

But it's at this lovely juncture that we change gears to agreement. So cheers to us! We did it! I and others here have said for some time now(read: years) that in order for the environments or any stands in for objectives to be used, FFG was going to have to mandate it in some way. For any number of reasons that you've listed, or methods for that matter. Their all good reasonings. Not all the current environment cards could be used but many certainly wouldn't be bad at all. Locally, many have even said they'll happily play the environments... When they have to. But as you also I think earlier pointed out, until it's a must, using them doesn't help them practice for their next event. And that's the key. We agree completely on this. No doubt about it. I'll even buy your next beer.

After all the years of playing this game, and all the events, hosted and attended, and all the time on this forum. My consistent observation is that folks don't want to leave 200/6 most of the time. This fits with many other gaming experiences I've observed. EDH/commander took years to catch on in magic, and official releases to push the rest over the edge, and it's still a side event at best for most comp players, and only gets dedicated content rarely. 40kAppocalypse got a massive PR and content injection and still fell mostly flat. Armada got an Epic mode, but people only played it for release then went right back to standard(thank goodness the SSD was legal in standard). I think the biggest factor is time a player wants to invest. And to your point I also agree that it's a cost item for an otherwise very affordable game. I'd point to how often the turn clock idea has been pitched to support that. I'd also point to how often is complained about that total victory rarely happens in a 75 round. This is in no way a jab at the community, it's an observation after years of being in it. Epic was only every going to be a side show, expecting otherwise is futile. The book "Who moved my cheese?"comes to mind. Go figure, humans like their comfort zones.

PR and advertising was never going to bridge some gaps. Just like it couldn't sell denim as a tent material for miners despite a huge advertising push, but when they made pants with it as an asset dump American fashion changed forever.

Addendum: and I just found out I was vindicated while I slept lol. Epic is now on the new app. Just like I said it would be when I wrote that post last night. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket?

On 11/22/2020 at 3:12 PM, Stay OT Leader said:

Every time I come back I’m reminded that you’re all completely mad.

Every time you come back we're all reminded how incredibly rude you are.

People are different from us and we can respect that. I personally disagree with about 95% of what you've ever written in your blog. That doesn't really matter. I'm actually more on your side of the argument in this case, but you're not doing it any favors with your condescending tone or wild claims (pretty sure they make a similar margin off X-Wing as they do from Legion anyway and they have explicitly stated they have products lined out through 2023 so no, they're not killing it, that's not their plan, and it would be a dumb business move anyway).

I should also add that while I disagree with them, I find @Darth Meanie to be a comforting and welcome presence on these forums and a potent and crucial reminder that we're all playing this silly game to have fun and any other reasons miss the whole point.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Like I said, mad.

On 11/23/2020 at 6:56 AM, Darth Meanie said:

Why don't you go back and read all of my posts in this thread before you give me BS just to be contrary.*

Because this just proves you don't know what you are talking about. You think Epic is lame. That's fine. Yours is not a universally shared opinion.

But that's doesn't give you the right to tell everyone to play Armada instead.

And I find attitudes like yours* far more frustrating than the release schedule for the XWM mode I enjoy.

*On second thought, go back and read the whole thread. You've skipped nearly all the content just to whine at me.

Try paying attention to what I posted and not what you think I posted.
I'm not telling you to play Armada.I'm telling you FFG has not put much effort into supporting the Epic format, has gotten a lot of mileage out of supporting the tournament scene, and doesn't look to be changing that course for the forseeable future.* If you want to spend literally years ******* on message boards about it, well it's your time to waste.
I gave you my reasons why I think that Epic is a poor fit for X-Wing Miniatures. You're welcome to disagree, but don't put words in my mouth.

*Who knows what AMG will do with it.

7 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

On 11/23/2020 at 1:37 PM, Frimmel said:

They didn't put Epic in the official app...

Flawed premise.

The app was released with the launch of 2nd edition, September 2018. Epic was re-released for 2nd edition over a year later, in November 2019.

By the time Epic was re-released, there had already been a lot of negative feedback on the first incarnation of the app. Indeed, it was almost directly after Epic's re-release that FFG announced they were working on a new version:

(quoting FFG's Facebook page, November 2019):

"Hello Star Wars™: X-Wing players!

Many of you have noticed that the huge ships have not been added to the X-Wing Squad Builder app. We are actually in the process of completely reworking our X-Wing Squad Builder app, including developing a much more user-friendly interface, offline mode, and support for huge ships and epic play. For now, all tournament-legal ships are still supported by the current Squad Builder app. For huge ships and epic play, we recommend that you use the points lists provided on the FFG website for now.

We'll have much more information to share about the reworked Squad Builder app as it comes closer to release!"

Now, once again it's worth noting that little over three months after this announcement (and the re-release of Epic as a format) a global crisis began which serious impacted a number of industries, especially those that are deemed non-essential. A large number of people working for non-essential businesses ended up working remotely. Or were furloughed. Or lost their jobs entirely.

For those unaware, tabletop miniatures games are (sadly) quite literally the dictionary definition of non-essential businesses.

So, FFG had roughly three months following the re-release of Epic to support it in anywhere near a normal manner.

The reworked app has finally arrived a year later, and - true to their word - it features Huge ships, Epic okay, an offline mode etc.

Now, would the new app have arrived sooner if Covid-19 hadn't effectively cancelled 2020? Who knows for sure, but I imagine it probably would. Certainly the process of redesigning it, building it, testing it, getting it approved and releasing it would have been easier than it no doubt was.

As for Epic being re-released sooner for second edition... FFG had a very intensive release schedule throughout 2018/19. New ships from the latest movies and TV series, the new prequel factions, re-released of older ships. There was a very large amount of content releases in a very short amount of time (certainly compared to first edition). With so much going on, Epic play and the Huge ships were never likely to see an immediate re-release; clearly not everything could arrive on the scene at once. There was always going to be a schedule for content releases, and there were always going to be priorities.

All of which is why when I see people throwing around phrases like "bungled" or "isn't much of a surprise" or "we should have had so-and-so", I say: wake up.

X-Wing 2nd Edition is GREAT. Incredible amounts of fun, and a big improvement in 1st.

Epic 2nd Edition is also GREAT. Incredible amounts of fun, streamlined, refined and a big improvement on first.

It's just a shame that FFG's plans ( and, more importantly, the careers and livelihoods of so many if their dedicated, talent ed staff) were so badly hampered by circumstances totally out of their control.

Edited by FTS Gecko

And also let's remember too that the HS ring and the Jedi Commander card would have been making their way to the printers, or product finalization at the least so their designs were already done, around the time 2.0E was hitting shelves. The simple fact that we're seeing those this year is indicator enough for me that the follow up plans for Epic were very much well under way. Which is pretty normal. When game producing you really want your first wave to launch, with your second one ready to go, and already be working on your third if not fourth.

Now that Epic stuff is coming out, and the RRG has structures in it, We might have a pleasant Epic surprise right around the corner. Especially now that the CW factions have enough fighters to support it and a special Wing card. I'm thinking ground assault... Just a feeling I had for awhile now.

16 hours ago, Koing907 said:

If you want to spend literally years ******* on message boards about it, well it's your time to waste.

Advocating.

It's not my fault that me wanting something for this game that you don't want is so irritating for you.

And if I seem ornery, it's probably because I feel like I'm defending my favorite part of the game from people who, at best, don't care, and at worst, don't want resources devoted to it.

Edited by Darth Meanie
9 hours ago, Stay OT Leader said:

Like I said, mad.

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

8^y

9 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Flawed premise.

The app was released with the launch of 2nd edition, September 2018. Epic was re-released for 2nd edition over a year later, in November 2019.

By the time Epic was re-released, there had already been a lot of negative feedback on the first incarnation of the app. Indeed, it was almost directly after Epic's re-release that FFG announced they were working on a new version:

Flaw in the premise or not. The perception the rollout of Epic created was that they did not care about it. The facts of the matter as to whether they did or did not is neither here nor there. They had an entire year of a flawed app and did not correct that in time for the rollout of Epic. Stinks of incompetence and laziness and organizational disorder and disharmony. It has taken two years to fix the app. An app that was clearly not built in the first place with Epic in mind.

I do not care how much they do or do not care about Epic. When I could have made Epic a thing with my group FFG squirted the toothpaste all over the bathroom sink. And no sooner are they rolling out Epic without app support so you can't make lists because points are not on the cards for the sake of OP than they are cancelling the release of Epic ships. You can't put toothpaste back in the tube.

Doesn't matter what they said nor what they intended nor that they felt bad about it. What they DID was not have the app ready to support Epic when all this stuff hit the streets and made me not care about it.

Now we've got news about a studio change and I am still without assurance that my pre-orders (already paid) for the next wave and the Clone Wars Armada wave will be honored. If I am to care about and put stock in their intentions they might start with their intentions there and with their intentions regarding the announced products we were to expect by the end of March 2021.

2 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Now we've got news about a studio change and I am still without assurance that my pre-orders (already paid) for the next wave and the Clone Wars Armada wave will be honored. If I am to care about and put stock in their intentions they might start with their intentions there and with their intentions regarding the announced products we were to expect by the end of March 2021.

That anger would appear misdirected. FFG is not responsible for the studio change. Going by what we've heard from the staff involved, they knew as much about it as we did. Direct any vitriol you feel appropriate or necessary at Asmodee for creating this uncertainty, rather than those who are sadly victims of it.

As to the worries about the arrival of the pre-ordered products, well, no news is good news. There's been no indication of any delays, cancellations or changes to the schedule following the reorganisation, and given these products have been in the production pipeline for months and due to ship shortly, it's extremely unlikely there would be at this late date.

If you're that worried, you could of course reach out to FFG and Asmodee via official channels rather than meeping away in an echo chamber.

11 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I do not care how much they do or do not care about Epic. When I could have made Epic a thing with my group FFG squirted the toothpaste all over the bathroom sink. And no sooner are they rolling out Epic without app support so you can't make lists because points are not on the cards for the sake of OP than they are cancelling the release of Epic ships. You can't put toothpaste back in the tube.

Doesn't matter what they said nor what they intended nor that they felt bad about it. What they DID was not have the app ready to support Epic when all this stuff hit the streets and made me not care about it.

The pdfs with points for Epic are and always have been available on the FFG website. The points were also available on any number of third party apps and squad builders, most of which were more commonly used even for standard play than the flawed official app. I'm sure you're fully aware of this, so stop acting like Epic was unplayable.

3 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

That anger would appear misdirected. FFG is not responsible for the studio change.

I am not angry at FFG for the studio change. I am angry that I have not been assured that the expected products for which I have paid pre-orders are going to ship. I based one of those pre-orders on informal but official promise of additional products in January. I DO NOT CARE WHOSE JOB IT IS. One of these companies needs to tell us what is going on with that stuff. What did we get though? A statement on OP.

8 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

As to the worries about the arrival of the pre-ordered products, well, no news is good news. There's been no indication of any delays, cancellations or changes to the schedule following the reorganisation, and given these products have been in the production pipeline for months and due to ship shortly, it's extremely unlikely there would be at this late date.

If you're that worried, you could of course reach out to FFG and Asmodee via official channels rather than meeping away in an echo chamber.

At this point I'm pretty much left to hope I won't be ripped off. Any word I might get from customer service is worthless. If it isn't out for all and sundry via an actual press release there is nothing I can do about it if they break their word. Everyone in charge is fired and we're just going to leave you to hope things will be fine as there are exciting ideas of OP.

27 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

The pdfs with points for Epic are and always have been available on the FFG website. The points were also available on any number of third party apps and squad builders, most of which were more commonly used even for standard play than the flawed official app. I'm sure you're fully aware of this, so stop acting like Epic was unplayable.

I don't care if the points were available. The points weren't in the app so I just blew off Epic all the way around. I couldn't play Epic because I didn't own any Epic ships and their not putting the points in the app made me want to keep not owning any Epic ships. My life is already replete with the answer to any of my problems being, "work harder." That's why I seek play. The answer to a problem with my play being, "work harder" is not acceptable. I will not chose to engage with that. I keep trying to tell you that the issue with Epic isn't whether or not it was playable. The issue is they did not make me care enough to try.

55 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

They had an entire year of a flawed app and did not correct that in time for the rollout of Epic. Stinks of incompetence and laziness and organizational disorder and disharmony. It has taken two years to fix the app. An app that was clearly not built in the first place with Epic in mind.

While I had an extreme distaste for the initial app, saying it stinks of those things seems a bit harsh and perhaps misinformed. The first app was developed by 10clouds, a Polish studio, while the new app was developed by Minneapolis based MentorMate. Once MentorMate started development on the new app, it stands to reason that 10clouds was out, and further development on the old app was a non-possibility without renewing contracts with the studio that gave you the bad app in the first place.

It is uncertain as to when MentorMate would have got the app ready if Covid and protests in Minneapolis hadn't happened, but it is fair to say that almost every industry has been delayed this year, especially non-essential businesses like tabletop gaming. Mid-2020 would have been a reasonable timeframe for me.

1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

Now we've got news about a studio change and I am still without assurance that my pre-orders (already paid) for the next wave and the Clone Wars Armada wave will be honored.

I don't see why they wouldn't be honored. It's still Asmodee that is selling you the product technically, not FFG. Some folks have already got their hands on the Wave 8 X-wing content, so your fears should be allayed there. I can't speak to anyone receiving Armada pre-order since I don't pay attention to that, but again, FFG does not dictate order fulfillment, Asmodee does. So you should have the same fulfillment problems that you have currently. :)

17 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

One of these companies needs to tell us what is going on with that stuff. What did we get though? A statement on OP.

There was an article literally two days ago from FFG providing an update on the Armada Clone Wars products.

The Clone Wars come to Star Wars: Armada on December 4.

...I'm not sure how much clearer they can make it for you? As far as that goes, it looks as though it's business as usual. You'll for sure know by next week.

I'm guessing Atomic hasn't given us much to go on so far because they don't actually have much to go on, and I don't expect they will until all FFG product currently in the pipeline is released.

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

I'm guessing Atomic hasn't given us much to go on so far because they don't actually have much to go on, and I don't expect they will until all FFG product currently in the pipeline is released.

And considering how long that pipeline is, whoo doggy that could be awhile. That new Armada stuff was in there so long I thought they forgot about it 😂

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

There was an article literally two days ago from FFG providing an update on the Armada Clone Wars products.

The Clone Wars come to Star Wars: Armada on December 4.

...I'm not sure how much clearer they can make it for you? As far as that goes, it looks as though it's business as usual. You'll for sure know by next week.

There is another Armada article today and it does suggest "business as usual."

Getting lots of dupes lately.

Edited by Frimmel
Dupe.
22 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

Addendum: and I just found out I was vindicated while I slept lol. Epic is now on the new app. Just like I said it would be when I wrote that post last night. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket?

I'm not sure how you consider that "vindicated," since your original premise was that "you can't use the fact that the official app didn't include Epic at Epic's release because the app is so **** bad that no one used it" and then now use the correction to the previous omission a year later as if that points to Epic being an actual high priority to FFG/Asmodee, considering if either the Hyperspace or Extended format stopped functioning on the app in total, the issue would have been fixed right then and there. Are we supposed to consider the app, or ignore it, you seem to be backtracking here.

Edit: Don't misunderstand me, I am glad that the app finally got an update and Epic is included; I'm just more curious how you think that tracks with your original premise that we shouldn't use the app as a litmus test, then here you are using the app as a litmus test that they actually do care about Epic.

Edited by kris40k
23 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

Further it should be noted that shortly after 2.0 released FFG made a statement about their intents on that app, and that they cared a lot and we're just as unhappy as we were. And it would be reasonable to assume that they didn't extend parts of that contract to Epic inclusion because of how bad it was, <ahem> and they also stated they were looking at an app rebuild also before Epic, which could mean that they still wanted it in the new version, but we haven't seen it yet. <Cough>

@kris40k this is what was vindicated. Sorry, but you have misinterpreted the premise. And then as 5050 saint very well explained...

3 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

While I had an extreme distaste for the initial app, saying it stinks of those things seems a bit harsh and perhaps misinformed. The first app was developed by 10clouds, a Polish studio, while the new app was developed by Minneapolis based MentorMate. Once MentorMate started development on the new app, it stands to reason that 10clouds was out, and further development on the old app was a non-possibility without renewing contracts with the studio that gave you the bad app in the first place.

Which echoes what I said earlier as well but with welcome details.

My premise was that the old Polish made app was already in the process of being discarded for earlier failures unrelated to Epic, not because people didn't use it per se, but rather just because they were changing app developers. The issue was the time table set up around the developments of the two products, the Epic mode and the App(s). Whether or not people used the official or third party apps was a tangential point to support why they wouldn't bother to over extend a contractor to add a feature to an app they were cancelling, and likely knew the new one was going to be ready sooner than later anyway. So with third party apps filling in the gap, FFG kinda wisely leaned on that crutch to justify not contracting a new feature into an app they were cancelling. So when epic didn't show up in the app, it shouldn't have come as a surprise or indicator of anything. That extra app architecture was never built by 10cloud, but the standing contracts that were going to expire/cancel had already included HS/EX so any repairs like you mention to them were already covered under essentially a warranty. And from that as I stated it would likely show up in the new app, which it did, as @FTS Gecko pointed out they declared sometime before all of this.

Now if this new app showed up yesterday, and there was no Epic feature? Then we would absolutely have gone with @Frimmel 's logic as to what that could mean for the format. And I would have agreed that meant they were stepping over epic. But not to worry, because as FFG said, and we guessed anyway, the new app is here and complete with all promised features. Going forward, maybe you use the app as an indicator for things, but that old one was not a viable gauge for the community to make assessments from. I wager this is what made you believe I was backtracking. But I'm not. I'm saying Frims logic would be usable, if the measuring stick he was looking at was itself usable as a measuring tool, but it wasn't, so it didn't matter. Hope that clears that up.

1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

There is another Armada article today and it does suggest "business as usual."

Thanks is for pointing that out. Yeah, from one point of view it's great to see this info coming out and that it looks like things are well on track (and that goes for the long awaited Armada expansions and the new, improved X-Wing app).

On the other hand though it's pretty awful seeing all this hard work come out, knowing it's basically FFG's swansong with the products and they're not going to be the beneficiaries.

It's such a d**n shame.

As someone who has gone through corporate mergers and re-shuffles a few times in my career, I have some thoughts. Obligatory Disclaimer: my career is in a different industry, but the kinds of things I'm commenting on are mostly basic general business stuff, so it should generally translate.

First - a company does not go through a reorganization like this if they plan on ending the product line. Re-orgs cost money . They are done when some higher-up feels they will allow the company to work the way they want it to. Anything that isn't part of the plans going forward would get shutdown rather than moved. Add to that is the fact that I'm sure they have contracts with Disney / Lucasfilm that determine whether or not they can shutdown the product line. The fact that their LFL licensing person is moving over to AMG tells me they don't have any intention of shutting down the product lines.

Second - that said, this is just intentions. Re-orgs are generally done for one of two reasons: 1. Something wasn't working right. 2. You've got a new CEO that's a control freak who simply has to have things in a particular way. Neither reason is particularly great, but option 1 is at least fixable, and hopefully the re-org helps with that. I'm really hoping it's option 1.

Practically speaking, the announcement of the new App actually has me a bit more optimistic than I was before. If things were going badly, you just cut your losses on the development of that, and it never gets released. Instead, they're promoting that they want to support more alternative gameplay than just the standard tournament deathmatch.

Of course, I'll also note that the layoffs are not a good sign. They never are. Companies that aren't feeling a financial pinch generally don't layoff several people at once like that. They just let go people who aren't performing. And by all accounts, the people who were let go were not poor performers.

There's also the simple fact that any re-org, no matter how well run, is going to result in some chaos for a bit as everyone has to settle into new ways of doing things - there's really no getting around that fact.

So, I'm nervous, but that doesn't mean I think the game is doomed. I've been through situations a couple times where things looked really bad for the companies I was at, and in the end, things turned out quite well. It's not unreasonable that shuffling things around between Asmodee properties will allow for greater focus on core competencies, with the head of each studio not having to split their attention between different types of products, for example.

I figure it will take about a year or two at least for the dust to settle. I'm curious to see how things will go.