Which expansion is the best way to introduce Nyarlathotep - Masks or Pyramids?

By Psibreaker, in General Discussion

Essentially the title is the question. I'm a fan of Nyarlathotep and have most of the EH expansions (all the small boxes and the Dreamlands box), so he does occasionally pop up in flavour text, but if I want to have him appear as an adversary is it better (or, okay, is it more fun) to have generic Nyarlathotep in many forms across the globe, mirroring the Call of Cthulhu campaign, or does Under The Pyramids and the whole Egyptology theme make the Dark Pharaoh a more exciting prospect?

I suppose I'm particularly keen to hear opinions from people who have purchased both. I'd like to imagine I will get both, eventually, but with a lot of things up in the air with 2020 being what it is I'm just dipping my toe in the waters of both dark pools to see which I'd want to swim in first.

(I suspect, for the near foreseeable future, I'd probably be playing EH in single player mode, unless I can convince my wife to join me)

Hey there, IMO stick to Pyramids. While the Masks expansion has a recreation of the Masks of Nyarly campaign from chaosium, it’s half-done at best and the box is just full of bloat. If you have all the other expansions and want to be a completist, go for Masks but the consensus I’ve seen (and certainly agree with) is that it was a big swing and a miss, which is a real shame for the potential it had.

Pyramids is fun and adds enough of the right stuff, and the Pharaoh is a great ancient one.