Arkham Nights 2020!

By Duciris, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I’ve never had the pleasure. This was the year we were finally going to go! I assume that with it being free and to the masses, it is a pretty watered down version.
Hopefully today’s twitch broadcast will be fun.

21 hours ago, MGlas1 said:

It looks like they are posted now. They appear to be alternate art Daisy cards for both her normal and parallel investigator cards. Here is the normal one:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/7d/99/7d9988ea-930e-4ada-85c9-c17a59acab7f/opplaynshare_investigator_daisywalker.pdf

If you to the AH:LCG product page on FFG's site, go down to Print-and-Play cards and you will see these updated today. Interestingly enough, the GenCon one is still in the Player Resources section.

Sounds like per their Twitter page that this is not the unlocked print and play cards as the initial stretch goal has not been reached. So, consider the Daisy cards a bit of a bonus at this point.

RM

It looks like they are posted now. They appear to be alternate art Daisy cards for both her normal and parallel investigator cards. Here is the normal one:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/7d/99/7d9988ea-930e-4ada-85c9-c17a59acab7f/opplaynshare_investigator_daisywalker.pdf

If you to the AH:LCG product page on FFG's site, go down to Print-and-Play cards and you will see these updated today. Interestingly enough, the GenCon one is still in the Player Resources section.

Sorry for the multiple posts something going on with my computer.

RM

Edited by OC Architect

Edited by OC Architect
Multiple posts

Does anyone know where to get single cards like this printed at?

1 hour ago, Icechamber said:

Someone on the Reddit page posted a link to a file at MakePlaingCards.com for getting the Parallel Investigators printed up. I used them, and the cards came out pretty much perfect. Hard to discern the "real" cards from the PnP cards. Really hoping someone gets the PnP cards unlocked from this event and the GenCon PnP card up on there. Too lazy busy to attempt to do it myself. Haha.

2 hours ago, Steeljaw said:

So far this has been a pretty lame Arkham Nights in my opinion. I miss going to it in person :(

Same

1 hour ago, Icechamber said:

I have also used them and the cards were really nice. Slightly larger than the standard TCG cards but provided they are sleeved you wouldn't notice the difference. There is also printerstudio.com but I have not used them. For the next batch of PnP cards I may use them to check them out. They seem to be a bit cheaper price wise compared to MakePlayingCards.com but I would have to double check.

RM

2 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

I’ve never had the pleasure. This was the year we were finally going to go! I assume that with it being free and to the masses, it is a pretty watered down version.
Hopefully today’s twitch broadcast will be fun.

The fun of Arkham Nights is playing with others. Sometimes with creators, sometimes with new/unreleased product, sometimes en masse. The fun is playing with people you've never met, all of whom love the same things you do.

There's hardly a way to replicate that online as is.

The thing I was most looking forward to was the making the card.
They just posted that the twitch broadcast for today has been postponed.

53 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

The thing I was most looking forward to was the making the card.
They just posted that the twitch broadcast for today has been postponed.

Did they advise which random other channel they're moving it to, as well?

2 hours ago, dysartes said:

Did they advise which random other channel they're moving it to, as well?

No. It’s on the News page in the Arkham Nights line up. Just that it’s postponed and stay tuned for the new date and time.

3 hours ago, Duciris said:

The fun of Arkham Nights is playing with others. Sometimes with creators, sometimes with new/unreleased product, sometimes en masse. The fun is playing with people you've never met, all of whom love the same things you do.

There's hardly a way to replicate that online as is.

Absolutely. It’s like attending a Food Tasting Event via Zoom!

Well I missed the make-a-card livestream. But, so did FFG. Hurray!

18 hours ago, Duciris said:

Well I missed the make-a-card livestream. But, so did FFG. Hurray!

I even had my phone alarm set, so I wouldn’t miss it! Ah well.

On 10/28/2020 at 1:49 PM, phillos said:

but we don't really need a recipe for a fried egg.

Speak for yourself. How do you think Lita burnt our house down!

:)

On 10/28/2020 at 9:49 AM, phillos said:

So the theme they were actually going for is dishes representative of stuff you could find in Velma's Diner. As far as a New England diner menu goes I think they did a good job. Meatloaf, stew, reubens and fruit pies are a really good sampling of what I think of for diner food like you'd find in the area. Well those and all day coffee, fried eggs and pancakes, but we don't really need a recipe for a fried egg.

The only real unusual dish for a working class New England diner is the Egyptian Barley Stew. That said Arkham is a university town so restaurants may be pandering to all the Egyptologists that hang around the school. That said the flavors in the stew aren't all that unusual for an American palate. So a dish for someone who wants something that sounds worldly, but is really familiar :) It's interesting that the Egyptian stew only cooks for a short period of time. I cook my stews for hours in a low heat oven similar to the hearty stew recipe. I'd think the chuck roast pieces would still be a bit tough after 30 minutes.

Also as a Connecticut resident I zeroed in on the apples used. Both would be excellent pie apples. Though I think the Braeburn apples wouldn't be historically accurate for the time period. That said Braeburns are very popular currently in markets in the area, and a great pie apple. I buy them all the time. Granny Smiths were around during the period and probably would be in a diner pie.

I do wish there was a bit more of a write up to be honest. I know writing isn't free, but I think it would have been a bit more fun if they matched favorite dishes to different characters or something based on their personalities. I like the idea above about church community submitted recipes. I guess otherwise we don't have a ton of references to food in the game to draw from here. There is a player card theme for Matt to follow up on in future cycles. A bunch of food cards. I wanna put some counters on a pie card Matt!

There should have been some Portuguese stuff in there, honestly, given its influence on the region’s cuisine.

EDIT - I mean... even forgetting the Portuguese connection there shoulda been at least ONE recipe for squid or octopus, right??? Something with tentacles? Come on now 😛

Edited by KalEl814

Now you are making me hungry for calamari. I gotta pick some up next time I'm at the fish market.

Edited by phillos

The create a card with developers is tomorrow at 2:00 CT

This time we created upgrades. We chose to do them from the core set. We had time, we created 2.

• Level 2 Guard Dog
    • $3, 1x Intellect, 1x Strength, 1x ally
    • Ally. Creature. 4 Health. 2 Sanity.
    • Free: Exhaust Guard Dog: Engage an enemy at your location. That enemy attacks you.
    • Reaction: When an enemy attack deals damage or horror Guard Dog: Deal 1 damage to the attacking enemy.

• Level 3 Flashlight
    • $2, 1x Intellect, 1x Agility, 1x hand-slot
    • Item. Tool.
    • Uses (4 supplies).
    • Reaction: When you perform a skill test while investigating or attempting to evade, spend 1 supply: This test gets –2 difficulty.

They both seem super strong, and both have needed an upgraded form for a long time. It's interesting that they are being more liberal with double static boost cards now, and having both in a deck now is very interesting for a solo Guardian build.

Having such a strong Neutral Evasion tool is also interesting for low Agility solo investigators as well. granted it's 3 xp, but if it's the major weakness in the deck then it's definitely worth considering.

Edited by phillos

I already love flashlights, so that upgrade is actually quite enticing. As a potential evasion tool, it may encourage using more supply adding cards as well such as Venturer, E-Cache (3), or Contraband. Scavenging would be worth taking in this case as well.