Arkham Nights 2020!

By Duciris, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

ffgarkhamtakeover_website.jpg

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/10/23/a-week-of-horrors/

Arkham Nights will be online this year, beginning this Monday, October 26th.

• Monday, October 26 – Announcement about a new Eldritch Horror expansion. A "riddle will reveal itself on the Fantasy Flight Games Facebook page , and one unlucky soul who answers this riddle correctly will be cursed with a free expansion for the game, doomed to enjoy themselves with an enhanced Eldritch Horror experience."
  • Tuesday, October 27 – "The Silver Twilight Lodge will release some recipes native...[on] the Fantasy Flight Games website and social media accounts.
  • Wednesday, October 28 – " Organized Play will reveal the first … Play-and-Share promos, which were unlocked by enough people participating in their ongoing ritual. We can only hope [for] … further milestones, … and more promos [to] be unlocked …"
  • Thursday, October 29 – Matthew Newman and Jeremy Zwirn … will livestream … with viewers to design a brand-new card for Arkham Horror: The Card Game . ... at 2:00 PM CST on the FFGLive Twitch account ."
  • Friday, October 30 – "a simple quote from one of FFG's Arkham titles. Is this their favorite quote? Or does it mean something greater? Investigators will have to figure that out on their own!"
  • Saturday, October 31 - 11:59 PM CST on Sunday, November 1 – Submissions for the 'Craftian Costume Contest. Submit images of [your]selves dressed as investigators, cultists, or unspeakable horrors. … [O]ne person for each category … will be chosen to receive a mysterious Arkham Horror -themed prize. The … winners of this prize will be announced on Monday, November 2 ."

Is it absurd that the thing about this that I am most looking forward to is the AH themed recipes.

18 hours ago, Duciris said:
  • Monday, October 26 – Announcement about a new Eldritch Horror expansion. A "riddle will reveal itself on the Fantasy Flight Games Facebook page , and one unlucky soul who answers this riddle correctly will be cursed with a free expansion for the game, doomed to enjoy themselves with an enhanced Eldritch Horror experience."

Doesn't look like there's a new Eldritch Horror expansion (direct copy from the article):

The forces of the Mythos will begin their ghastly agenda on Monday, October 26 with a new riddle about Eldritch Horror . This riddle will reveal itself on the Fantasy Flight Games Facebook page , and one unlucky soul who answers this riddle correctly will be cursed with a free expansion for the game, doomed to enjoy themselves with an enhanced Eldritch Horror experience.

9 hours ago, DMG said:

Doesn't look like there's a new Eldritch Horror expansion (direct copy from the article):

I suppose you are correct in your interpretation. Darn you. 😋

Well, dare to dream.

4 hours ago, Duciris said:

I suppose you are correct in your interpretation. Darn you. 😋

Well, dare to dream.

I know! I really had my hopes up as well. ☹️

Okay. I read it as a new Eldritch Horror expansion announcement as well and that really surprised me considering I thought they were considering that game complete. Though this is still the most mysterious part of the update. Also who doesn't enjoy a good riddle. Voiceless it cries, wingless flutters, toothless bites, mouthless mutters...

Edited by phillos

I'd say it's some kind of EH content, whether it's a new expansion, EH 2.0, or a new game specifically being branded as EH rather than AH (which seems unlikely). What else could it be?

I'm hoping for it to be some kind of small release that includes the new investigators from AHLCG.

Anybody see said riddle?

I see one from the 12th, which offers EH: Forsaken Lore as a prize, but that's not this.

Found it. And yes, it's for the existing Mountains of Madness expansion . 😢

https://fb.watch/1mSyvu1ac2/

This sounds so fun!

Why did they have to choose Facebook?!?! I refuse to create an account on there. Facebook is evil.

1 hour ago, Steeljaw said:

Why did they have to choose Facebook?!?! I refuse to create an account on there. Facebook is evil.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm impressed - they hit 11 on my Underwhelmed dial.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/40/eb/40eb6d60-3b82-41f2-9491-f88203dbc098/an20_recipes.pdf

I just don't get this... They could have done so much better. It would have been a cooler idea to have like one of those old church cookbooks that were popular from that era where each of the characters from the games "submitted" a favorite recipe -- something that would have said something about them or their background. Agnes could have had a pie recipe, Silas could have had a hearty fish stew or chowder. Not sure what Ashcan Pete would contribute -- maybe a recipe for treats for Duke. It would have been fun to see what everyone submitted. The way they did this, it doesn't even make sense... Underwhelming to say the least.

3 hours ago, MGlas1 said:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/40/eb/40eb6d60-3b82-41f2-9491-f88203dbc098/an20_recipes.pdf

I just don't get this... They could have done so much better. It would have been a cooler idea to have like one of those old church cookbooks that were popular from that era where each of the characters from the games "submitted" a favorite recipe -- something that would have said something about them or their background. Agnes could have had a pie recipe, Silas could have had a hearty fish stew or chowder. Not sure what Ashcan Pete would contribute -- maybe a recipe for treats for Duke. It would have been fun to see what everyone submitted. The way they did this, it doesn't even make sense... Underwhelming to say the least.

Yikes. I couldn't agree more. Not to be overly hard on FFG, but this is a little cringy. It's more or less just basic recipes for basic food on an Arkham Universe rulebook template. Your idea sounds AWSOME and a great way to use their IP.

I'm not sure on the etymology, but is "Indgredients" period-appropriate, or just a repeated typo?

A couple of questions.

If we haven’t participated in the Organized Play, are we still able to receive the unlocked play and share?

What do we have to do to be involved in helping come up with a card idea? Is there someway to submit ideas, or how does that work?

Edited by Mimi61
7 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

What do we have to do to be involved in helping come up with a card idea? Is there someway to submit ideas, or how does that work?

During GenCon they did an FFGlive stream and there were polls that you could participate in. They showed the artwork and then asked a few questions... picked out a few responses from the chat and put it up for a vote. You can watch the stream in their archives if you're really curious.

39 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

If we haven’t participated in the Organized Play, are we still able to receive the unlocked play and share?

The way I interpreted it was that the Organized Play challenge was to get people to promote FFG on social media, and the more people did that, the more stuff FFG would make available to everyone. That might be wrong but that's how I read it.

1 hour ago, coldt0es said:

The way I interpreted it was that the Organized Play challenge was to get people to promote FFG on social media, and the more people did that, the more stuff FFG would make available to everyone. That might be wrong but that's how I read it.

That was my impression too.

On 10/25/2020 at 2:37 AM, phillos said:

Is it absurd that the thing about this that I am most looking forward to is the AH themed recipes.

What did you think of them?

So the theme they were actually going for is dishes representative of stuff you could find in Velma's Diner. As far as a New England diner menu goes I think they did a good job. Meatloaf, stew, reubens and fruit pies are a really good sampling of what I think of for diner food like you'd find in the area. Well those and all day coffee, fried eggs and pancakes, but we don't really need a recipe for a fried egg.

The only real unusual dish for a working class New England diner is the Egyptian Barley Stew. That said Arkham is a university town so restaurants may be pandering to all the Egyptologists that hang around the school. That said the flavors in the stew aren't all that unusual for an American palate. So a dish for someone who wants something that sounds worldly, but is really familiar :) It's interesting that the Egyptian stew only cooks for a short period of time. I cook my stews for hours in a low heat oven similar to the hearty stew recipe. I'd think the chuck roast pieces would still be a bit tough after 30 minutes.

Also as a Connecticut resident I zeroed in on the apples used. Both would be excellent pie apples. Though I think the Braeburn apples wouldn't be historically accurate for the time period. That said Braeburns are very popular currently in markets in the area, and a great pie apple. I buy them all the time. Granny Smiths were around during the period and probably would be in a diner pie.

I do wish there was a bit more of a write up to be honest. I know writing isn't free, but I think it would have been a bit more fun if they matched favorite dishes to different characters or something based on their personalities. I like the idea above about church community submitted recipes. I guess otherwise we don't have a ton of references to food in the game to draw from here. There is a player card theme for Matt to follow up on in future cycles. A bunch of food cards. I wanna put some counters on a pie card Matt!

Edited by phillos

Anyone know when or where the unlocked print and play is going to be?

1 hour ago, Mimi61 said:

Anyone know when or where the unlocked print and play is going to be?

It looks like they are posted now. They appear to be alternate art Daisy cards for both her normal and parallel investigator cards. Here is the normal one:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/7d/99/7d9988ea-930e-4ada-85c9-c17a59acab7f/opplaynshare_investigator_daisywalker.pdf

If you to the AH:LCG product page on FFG's site, go down to Print-and-Play cards and you will see these updated today. Interestingly enough, the GenCon one is still in the Player Resources section.

So far this has been a pretty lame Arkham Nights in my opinion. I miss going to it in person :(