You lost me at $175

By pkreynolds, in Descent: Legends of the Dark

On 10/27/2020 at 8:12 PM, Cotgrave said:

Thanks for the head's up Aerexx. I'm in Canada as well; a $60 drop is significant.

$150 CAD for this is still too expensive in my opinion.

175 $ is what you pay for KS games with 2-3 times the content shown here and with far more replayability than a measly 16 quest one and done campaign.

Yeah, I wonder how this would do on KS...

On 10/29/2020 at 9:08 PM, Alcovitch said:

$150 CAD for this is still too expensive in my opinion.

Well, at 401 Games it's back up in price - this time to $189.95 CAD.

Edited by Cotgrave

Almost 200 Canadian for a game where I can't stand the art.. this is going to be a tough sell. I'll reserve ultimate judgement for when I see some actual demos played. I've always enjoyed FFG's game mechanics so I have faith they did that part solid at least.

However I doubt it has as much life to it as Gloomhaven which is actually cheaper.. also doesn't require an app.

Is that app going to be supported for the next 20 years?

I'm not worried about the app - if they don't support it some creative member of our community will get it running (look at Valkyrie!).

But I have to say, I have so many 'worry questions' before I even get to think about the 'hype questions'. I wish they would double down on news for this one. Latest: just how durable are these tiles that we are going to be assembling into levels and taking apart over and over?

In the end I have decided to hold off preordering until I know more. That price tag has to be met with content and a more granular understanding of what I am signing up for. That's fair, I think.

I really want to love this one, as a Descent fan. I'm doing my bit to get there, meet me half way with news! Surly they see they need to push this?

For 60$ I'm okay with second grade artwork (like the elves left arm, and brynn's helmet) subpar graphic design and subpar gameboard and a game that is played on the app for 50% of your turn, standees etc.

For 80$ I at least expect miniatures for the heroes and good artwork on the gameboard.

For 100$ I at least expect quality artwork (surely nothing like the elves left arm), quality graphics design.

For 120$ I expect an artstyle that speaks to me - for example if this was going fully into psychadellic artstyle the current artstyle is clearly based on and not some kind of halfway compromise to appease to the mainstream, or at least an immersive visual presentation that fits the tone of the gameplay.

For 140$+ I expect a near perfect visual presentation or a lot of content with quality standards of 80-100$ games.

To me it looks like this game falls in the 60$ category and for some reason they added miniatures and sell this for 115$ more. Makes you wonder if they took feedback primarily from mainstream-gamers who typically won't pay more than 60$ for a game.

I'm still baffled how this Elf passed quality control. Have they fired all the visual and aesthetic literate people on their game-tester groups? I mean this Elf artwork is objectivly bad. The shading on the left arm is just wrong as it's supposed to be extended towards the viewer (front arm on the bow) and not dangling straight to the ground which makes it look like the elf has arm-proportions like orang-utans. For 80$ I wouldn't care, but for 175$ I do.

Edited by DAMaz
23 hours ago, Cotgrave said:

I'm not worried about the app - if they don't support it some creative member of our community will get it running (look at Valkyrie!).

But I have to say, I have so many 'worry questions' before I even get to think about the 'hype questions'. I wish they would double down on news for this one. Latest: just how durable are these tiles that we are going to be assembling into levels and taking apart over and over?

In the end I have decided to hold off preordering until I know more. That price tag has to be met with content and a more granular understanding of what I am signing up for. That's fair, I think.

I really want to love this one, as a Descent fan. I'm doing my bit to get there, meet me half way with news! Surly they see they need to push this?

I felt like you when watching the unvieling.

"okay, I don't like that, but this won't deter me from buying the next descent" until I said that for everything but the new fatigue mechanic... and then saw the price tag.

After being totally dissapointed by how they handled Runebound 3E (2 scenarios in the core box and 4 additional scenarios and 4 additional heroes for 20€ each and the only big box expansion changes the underlying premise of the game turning it into a pure coop game, when it was a competitive adventure game at core) and subsequently stayed away form Heroes of Terrinoth until it has substantial content, which never happened, I'm not going to buy in a game with light content again, especially not for 175$, especially not when the game is intentionally and conceptually incomplete (just ActI).

Seeing how bad this game is recieved, it's hard to believe that FFG has not already dropped the game and is seeking to do damage control by repackage/downgrade components/cheap voice overs for narration etc. In the stream they did say that the material for map and terrain isn't final, so if we see cardboard terrain and map-tiles, we know they go for damage control and will drop this game as soon as possible and halt Descent production for the forseeable future, because "there is no demand". If they go for plastic, they have some confidence in the game.