You lost me at $175

By pkreynolds, in Descent: Legends of the Dark

16 quests. $175. Sorry, this is a hard pass. Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion is 25 scenarios for $50. Miniatures are cool and all but... yikes that’s a big ask for what is basically a third attempt to make Descent relevant.

And "normal" Gloomhaven more than 90 scenarios for 120$

25 minutes ago, Tubb said:

And "normal" Gloomhaven more than 90 scenarios for 120$

Yeah, I've been eyeballing Gloomhaven for awhile, but the cardboard pawn enemies really turned me off of it, as painting and modeling is a big part of the hobby for me. If your not a stickler for mini's, though, or can be happy with just the heroes its a good value. Had they used actual mini's for all the enemies, like the various editions of Descent, it certainly would have jacked the production cost up but it also probably would have been an instant buy for me. The boards themselves are rather plain, as well.

ZrIfxvx.png

I may pick up Jaws of the Lion, since its a much lower price point to get into the game.

Edited by kris40k
2 hours ago, kris40k said:

Yeah, I've been eyeballing Gloomhaven for awhile, but the cardboard pawn enemies really turned me off of it, as painting and modeling is a big part of the hobby for me. If your not a stickler for mini's, though, or can be happy with just the heroes its a good value. Had they used actual mini's for all the enemies, like the various editions of Descent, it certainly would have jacked the production cost up but it also probably would have been an instant buy for me. The boards themselves are rather plain, as well.

ZrIfxvx.png

I may pick up Jaws of the Lion, since its a much lower price point to get into the game.

I'm a miniature painter and generally prefer minis. Trust me, Gloomhaven is just as good as you've heard. The standees are not an issue. You still get to paint the hero minis (they aren't the best quality sadly).

It's a fantastic game and passing on it just because of the standees is doing yourself a disservice.

Oh and yes, the price for Descent Legends in the Dark is ridiculous. They aren't Games Workshop, so they can't get away with ridiculous markups.

I bet at this price all the minis will still all be ziplock bagged and the box will have a giant cardboard insert that takes up 2/3rds of the box. FFG has always had awful packaging, and they have been behind the times in this regard.

I'm a huge fan of Descent (I own all 1st and 2nd edition expansions)... The 3D scenario tiles are intriguing, the minis look cool, I don't mind the app support (if done well, it can add a lot of value to the game), but the 175$ starting price feels too high... I hope you get a lot of content with that.

It would be nice to know their full plans for the game. If the 175$ box includes a lot of stuff and scenarios and no need to buy expansions to get a varied and rich experience, then it may be worth it... This is one I'll add to my watchlist, but I'm a bit disappointed by such a high price.

13 hours ago, kris40k said:

ZrIfxvx.png

Bought it today and it’s been some brilliant hours so far! Descent vibes, don’t mind the standees at all as I thought I would have!

I feel like this version of Descent is going to push a lot of people to say “you know, I’ve been wanting a game like this for awhile, maybe it’s time to see what all of the Gloomhaven hype is about...”

4 hours ago, Skyhunterd said:

Bought it today and it’s been some brilliant hours so far! Descent vibes, don’t mind the standees at all as I thought I would have!

I bought Gloomhaven a couple of months ago, and when I saw the descent news I though... oh, no! I'm going to regret having bought the wrong game... I really don't need two dungeon crawlers!! Now I really thank FFG because I really feel like I chose the winner horse.

Edited by Tubb
2 hours ago, pkreynolds said:

I feel like this version of Descent is going to push a lot of people to say “you know, I’ve been wanting a game like this for awhile, maybe it’s time to see what all of the Gloomhaven hype is about...”.

Exactly this... for the first time I'm actually considering buying gloomhaven after this week. Especially after they released this genius jaws of the lion stand alone idea to help newer players start. $49.99 for 24 scenarios

Edited by Aerexx
format
21 minutes ago, Aerexx said:

Exactly this... for the first time I'm actually considering buying gloomhaven after this week. Especially after they released this genius jaws of the lion stand alone idea to help newer players start. $49.99 for 24 scenarios

It’s a steal for the price. Meaningful decisions and good narrative.

If all the carton based were in plastic, maybe it would justify the price

I agree the price is too steep. My opinion could change once I know more. But based on what I’ve seen I would spend $100 tops for this product.

Not a big fan of the character artwork either but if the game is fun enough I could work past that.

But that price point. Yikes!

On 10/24/2020 at 12:04 AM, kris40k said:

The boards themselves are rather plain, as well.

For me, the printed layer of several Gloomhaven board pieces peeled off entirely, so i had to fix it with a glue stick. Apart from a few "bumps" and corners coming off once in a while, it looks okay now. I understand this is a kickstarter product and quality mishaps such as this can happen, especially with games of epic proportions such as Gloomhaven.

Not the end of the world but still, i never had that kind of problem with FFG tiles. Top quality, always. Also, boards rarely warp, if ever. I had plenty of warping with Gloomhaven and other KS products; perhaps warping caused the boards to get damaged in the first place, causing the integrity of the already fragile surface layer to be compromised because of humidity and overall temperature. I never had to worry about this with FFG products. I played Descent 2nd Edition many times, yet the board pieces are still holding strong.

Edited by Shirys

I agree the price point is very high, but I also feel this style of game (dungeon crawler) is generally one of the most expensive styles of boardgames. It requires a ton of components and board pieces which adds up to a lot of cost one way or the other.

Gloomhaven illustrates the pure cost of cardboard, and I'm sure if they'd printed that on higher quality card stock that price could have been substantially higher. I'm not current with printing costs, but 10+ years ago top quality cardboard could add dollars more per sheet. Miniatures obviously add substantial cost as well, but it's even harder with this style of game as it wants/needs a lot of different sculpts for game variety.

Dungeon crawlers are always going to have a big price tag, or it's going to be stripped down to such a point that it's not really the same style of game. I remember when FFG released the prepainted miniatures for Arkham Horror, I don't recall the exact price but I want to say that picking those up added 80-100$ to just the base game, much more for all the expansions. The sticker shock is real, but it's sort of dictated by the needs of the game.

I literally bought jaws of the lion 2 days after the descent announcement and i LOVE it and am so glad I got into it and I have this descent preview that I'm not interested in to thank lol.

I think Jaws of the Lion is brilliant on multiple levels. It is an amazing example of game developers learning and adapting from feedback and putting out an awesome follow up product that tweaked or fixed minor issues with an otherwise great game. It massively improved the player on-boarding experience, which for a complex game is really key. They were also obviously very price conscious with the design, having players simply use printouts both simplified setup and reduced cost. It helps it's still building on the great Gloomhaven core game experience, but it's an incredibly good introduction.

Peoples reaction to "playing on the page" is interesting to me. I would have expected a backlash to such an approach, for being cheap and non-customizable, but instead it's been very positive. Managing and sorting all the Gloomhaven pieces is a chore, players seem happy purely focusing on the campaign.

Edited by CountBlah

I also purchased JotL lol.. thanks ffg.

Thanks for the head's up Aerexx. I'm in Canada as well; a $60 drop is significant.

13 hours ago, Aerexx said:

Looks like my lsg just lowered the pre order price... not sure if ffg is changing the price point already !?

It was 208$ now 148$...
https://store.401games.ca/products/0a6f6e36-8bcf-11ea-f3d6-d438a335c06e

FFG had it listed for $175 so to me it looks like $208 was a placeholder and now the price reflects reality.

2 hours ago, Gamer said:

FFG had it listed for $175 so to me it looks like $208 was a placeholder and now the price reflects reality.

175 usd = 233 cnd. I don't think 208 was a placeholder. I just think no one was buying.

2 minutes ago, Aerexx said:

175 usd = 233 cnd. I don't think 208 was a placeholder. I just think no one was buying.

Agreed. I am Canadian, and there was no way i was gonna spend that much. At 150 CND, i just might get this.

Edited by HisEpicness

My mistake. I did not realize you were mentioning the price in Canadian dollars.

There are a lots of KS with more content in the same price... for example SS