Complete Thermal Detonators Thread

By theBitterFig, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Several questions answered.

Big winners: TIE Bombers and Deathrain Punisher. Kad Bane might have something to say, too.

1 minute ago, theBitterFig said:

Kad Bane might have something to say, too.

Probably not since his ability runs afoul the "once per round" limitation on actions.

After you drop or launch a device, you may perform a red <boost> action

Just now, Hiemfire said:

Probably not since his ability runs afoul the "once per round" limitation on actions.

Ah, but you could drop, boost, drop.

Just now, theBitterFig said:

Ah, but you could drop, boost, drop.

True. That'd permit Sol and Emmon a larger area for their side slinging, especially for Sol if he's got a Bombardier as well.

Also notable: someone like Deathrain, equipped with Trajectory Simulator, could drop one thermal, boost, THROW the other one forward, barrel roll for stress, then perform a blue maneuver and take a lock action to send a missile out on his turn.

Thermal Detonators also become a rather nice shield-regen tool for Rebel Chopper (astromech)... but that begs the question, is recovering 1 shield as an action really worth it on a Y-Wing?

this is a fun one!
swz41_hyena-class-bomber.png swz80_upgrade_thermal-detonators.png

what's your take on it? you shouldn't be able to use the same template for dropping and launching, right? i mean since thermal detonators state that "each must be placed using a different template". both dropping and launching should be considered placing, right?

54 minutes ago, meffo said:

this is a fun one!
swz41_hyena-class-bomber.png swz80_upgrade_thermal-detonators.png

what's your take on it? you shouldn't be able to use the same template for dropping and launching, right? i mean since thermal detonators state that "each must be placed using a different template". both dropping and launching should be considered placing, right?

First pass read makes me think you must use two different templates even though one is launched and one is dropped.

2 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

First pass read makes me think you must use two different templates even though one is launched and one is dropped.

I'd agree with that. 1&2 front, 1&2 back, 1 front & 2 back, 2 front & 1 back.

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

I'd agree with that. 1&2 front, 1&2 back, 1 front & 2 back, 2 front & 1 back.

This would be my take on it as well.

Don't think this has been mentioned yet but where do we land on fuses?

Can you place a fuse on one and not the other?

44 minutes ago, Tyhar7 said:

Don't think this has been mentioned yet but where do we land on fuses?

Can you place a fuse on one and not the other?

yes you can. each placement of a thermal detonator is a separate event.

8 minutes ago, meffo said:

yes you can. each placement of a thermal detonator is a separate event.

Useful thanks.