Sniper Unit Leader Question

By SirCormac, in Rules

So I have played this game since release, and of course am well aware of hiding your Sniper teammate to increase the survivability of the squad, but someone on the game store tonight said that FFG ruled recently that if the Sniper dies (but the other teammate is still alive) that you lose the Sniper rifle. I cannot find a single fact to back this up and it would go against the standard rules for what happens when a unit leader is removed and other minis still exist. So I wanted confirmation one way or the other from those who know. Thanks!

There is no ruling like that. The only thing recently ruled is that multiwould-leaders come back wounded (in singlewound-units).

17 minutes ago, SailorMeni said:

There is no ruling like that. The only thing recently ruled is that multiwould-leaders come back wounded (in singlewound-units).

Thanks! That's what I figured. They are newer players, I think they got confused on something.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 7:27 PM, SirCormac said:

Thanks! That's what I figured. They are newer players, I think they got confused on something.

Its easy for newer players to be confused, particularly as in the event of any other Trooper squad, if for any reason the Heavy weapon mini killed due to LOS blocking several of the defending squad then that Heavy will actually be dead.

The specific reason that the Sniper gets to live in the strike team is because the sniper mini is the unit leader.

Unit leaders are always the last to die so in the instance of the sniper dying in the strike team due to the other mini being out of LOS, the correct procedure is to remove the sniper mini, mark the remaining mini in the squad then remove that mini and replace it with the sniper mini.