Hover Ground and Terrain Height

By lologrelol, in Rules

A hover: ground vehicle, what level of height can it cross?

A.) Terrain equal to its highest point?

B.) Terrain equal to half its height?

Repulsorlift vehicles can ignore any terrain equal to their height or lower.

Where do I find the specific rules for that?

I also keep seeing the hover: ground entry in the rules has some conflicting language with this rule.

I at least find it very confusing.

6 minutes ago, lologrelol said:

Where do I find the specific rules for that?

I also keep seeing the hover: ground entry in the rules has some conflicting language with this rule.

I at least find it very confusing.

Page 57 under Repulsor Vehicle Movement Summary. What do you think is conflicting? I don't see anything after reviewing both portions, as well as page 8.

While a unit with hover: ground moves it is treated as a ground vehicle and will displace trooper units that are able to be displaced. It can move through other repulsor vehicles but cannot move through ground vehicles or trooper units that cannot be displaced. Refer to the movement rules for ground vehicles when moving through other units.

People keep saying that because it is hover:ground, it is treated as a ground vehicle when it moves.

It's confusing, and a little annoying to have to keep correcting people on it.

Two bullets down:

A unit with hover: ground is only treated as a ground
vehicle by other units . For all other game effects, the
unit is still a repulsor vehicle. Importantly, as a repulsor
vehicle, it is still able to move uninhibited over many
types of terrain. Refer to "Additional Terrain Rules" on
page 8 for how repulsor vehicles interact with certain
types of terrain.

The italic emphasis on "by other units is in the original text."

47 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

Two bullets down:

A unit with hover: ground is only treated as a ground
vehicle by other units . For all other game effects, the
unit is still a repulsor vehicle. Importantly, as a repulsor
vehicle, it is still able to move uninhibited over many
types of terrain. Refer to "Additional Terrain Rules" on
page 8 for how repulsor vehicles interact with certain
types of terrain.

The italic emphasis on "by other units is in the original text."

Yeah the devs need to add a line specifically stating what height of terrain hover:ground can go over, in the hover ground section. Because I'm sick of having to keep correcting people. It says go to page 8, but page 8 doesn't specify height, repulsor does. So it should also say go to repulsor. The devs just need to put all the info for hover:ground in one spot, so we don't have to reference 3 different sections just to know how one ******* rule works.

9 hours ago, lologrelol said:

Yeah the devs need to add a line specifically stating what height of terrain hover:ground can go over, in the hover ground section. Because I'm sick of having to keep correcting people. It says go to page 8, but page 8 doesn't specify height, repulsor does. So it should also say go to repulsor. The devs just need to put all the info for hover:ground in one spot, so we don't have to reference 3 different sections just to know how one ******* rule works.

Page 8 is for different types of terrain, so barricades, area terrain, etc. It doesn't say anything about going to page 8 for heights of terrain. Repulsor doesn't tell you how thick jungle terrain for instance affects movement, just the height it can ignore.

No argument that they could have restated the rule here about height though.

12 hours ago, lologrelol said:

How often do they have to restate every other rule in the book? It could be 1000 pages. Anyway, the same page that has the rule for ground vehicle movement has the rule for repulsor vehicles, so it's not like you're exactly going off the beaten path. IF you were to ask them to show you the rule stating that they could only go over something half their height, they would take you straight to the page with the actual right rule.

What? Repulsor is on page 79 with vehicles. Hover: Ground is on page 47.

It's a contentious and confusing issue. That's why it needs to be on the same page.

8 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

How often do they have to restate every other rule in the book? It could be 1000 pages. Anyway, the same page that has the rule for ground vehicle movement has the rule for repulsor vehicles, so it's not like you're exactly going off the beaten path. IF you were to ask them to show you the rule stating that they could only go over something half their height, they would take you straight to the page with the actual right rule.

1 minute ago, lologrelol said:

What? Repulsor is on page 79 with vehicles. Hover: Ground is on page 47.

It's a contentious and confusing issue. That's why it needs to be on the same page.

Exactly, if they are arguing that they should be treated like Ground Vehicles when moving, they would have to go to page 79 to source their assertion that they can only move over things half their height. It's only "contentious" if you let your opponent make unsourced assertions.

20 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

Exactly, if they are arguing that they should be treated like Ground Vehicles when moving, they would have to go to page 79 to source their assertion that they can only move over things half their height. It's only "contentious" if you let your opponent make unsourced assertions.

Yeah sorry dude. I prefer things to be easy to find in my rulebooks. Like not having to source 3 different sections of the rules for one unit type.

14 hours ago, lologrelol said:

Yeah sorry dude. I prefer things to be easy to find in my rulebooks. Like not having to source 3 different sections of the rules for one unit type.

So what rule books are you using where that ISN'T the case?

The RRG has an index, which is honestly an incredibly scarce thing in wargame rulebooks for some reason.

5 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

So what rule books are you using where that ISN'T the case?

The RRG has an index, which is honestly an incredibly scarce thing in wargame rulebooks for some reason.

Look man. I just want all the rules for the hover: ground movement type to be in one section.

It's not that ******* hard.

41 minutes ago, lologrelol said:

Look man. I just want all the rules for the hover: ground movement type to be in one section.

It's not that ******* hard.

I was legitimately curious if you knew of a ruleset that included all repeated rules every time they were repeated instead of referring you to a specified page in the rulebook. It seemed like you knew of sets where that wasn't the case, but every rule book I have seen instead uses the "see page XXX" method of referring to repeated rules.

Part of the issue with printing the rules for a certain thing in multiple locations is that there are now multiple locations that could potentially need updating. Let's say they did have the Repulsor movement stuff reprinted in Hover, but then they decided to make a change to Repulsor. If they don't also change Hover, the units unintentionally no longer move in the same way.

FFG has enough difficulties with changing the rulebook as it is, having the same rules repeated in multiple locations is only going to make that worse.

Edited by Caimheul1313

The RPG I made repeats some important rules.

It's not that I expect multiple reprints of the same text in multiple locations. It's just that I think a unit type should have a single entry, that covers most of its rules in one section.

To figure out how hover ground works:

1. Go to page 8 to learn normal movement restrictions.
  2. Go to ground vehicles to learn how they work.
  3. Go to hover ground to learn how they work
  4. Go to repulsor vehicles to learn how they work
  5. Re-reference hover ground to figure out what restrictions apply and the specific niggly rules interactions.
  6. Re-reference all these things when your opponents think the rules are different than what they actually are.
  7. Waste 20-30 minutes just looking up rules.

It's so dumb.

7 hours ago, lologrelol said:

To figure out how hover ground works:

1. Go to page 8 to learn normal movement restrictions.
  2. Go to ground vehicles to learn how they work.
  3. Go to hover ground to learn how they work
  4. Go to repulsor vehicles to learn how they work
  5. Re-reference hover ground to figure out what restrictions apply and the specific niggly rules interactions.
  6. Re-reference all these things when your opponents think the rules are different than what they actually are.
  7. Waste 20-30 minutes just looking up rules.

It's so dumb.

You're going to have to read the whole thing to learn the game. That's the nature of a game with a rulebook.

1 hour ago, arnoldrew said:

You're going to have to read the whole thing to learn the game. That's the nature of a game with a rulebook.

Unfortunately. lol