Dune postponed till Oct. 2021

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in X-Wing Off-Topic

On 9/16/2020 at 9:35 AM, FTS Gecko said:

Now... my big question is, is how far can this go as a franchise?

While trying to avoid any potential spoilers here, it looks like the first book is going to be split into two films, with House Atreides time on Arrakis being the first and (probably) ending with the arrival at Sietch Tabr. There's a bit of a time jump there which will allow for a break before the events of the second film.

But what about after that?

Obviously there's a mountain of material still to come after the first book (which has been described by hardcore fans as pretty much just a prelude to the true story), but a lot of the material and themes would seem incredibly difficult to translate onto the big screen. The first book has the mix of world-building, characters and action that can make a blockbuster, but it's still a difficult task. Some of the later stories seem for all intents and purposes unfilmable.

If Dune is a commercial success... just how far can it go?

If the films are well received we'll probably see the studio try to continue on in film with a sequel. Whether or not that project could actually get past the screenwriting phase and actually get made is kinda up in the air, but a sequel would fit more with how Hollywood rolls.

Personally I think Dune would fare better as a serialized drama in the same vein as Game of Thrones. There's a lot of material in each book so spreading that out over a season of hour long episodes sounds better to me than doing a pair of 2 hour movies. That would probably also help make the more heady concepts of Dune a bit more digestible to a general audience since less will be thrown at the audience all at once. Unfortunately though I kinda doubt a movie studio would be interested in starting their franchise in theaters only to later transition to TV. If this is to happen it would likely only occur after the license for Dune gets dropped by the movie studio and picked up by a television network or streaming service.

1 hour ago, Hippie Moosen said:

If the films are well received we'll probably see the studio try to continue on in film with a sequel. Whether or not that project could actually get past the screenwriting phase and actually get made is kinda up in the air, but a sequel would fit more with how Hollywood rolls.

Personally I think Dune would fare better as a serialized drama in the same vein as Game of Thrones. There's a lot of material in each book so spreading that out over a season of hour long episodes sounds better to me than doing a pair of 2 hour movies. That would probably also help make the more heady concepts of Dune a bit more digestible to a general audience since less will be thrown at the audience all at once. Unfortunately though I kinda doubt a movie studio would be interested in starting their franchise in theaters only to later transition to TV. If this is to happen it would likely only occur after the license for Dune gets dropped by the movie studio and picked up by a television network or streaming service.

I think it was pretty well done with the Scifi Miniseries Children of Dune.

But this time, with all the actors they got in this movie, they better have a very good budget for a TV show if they want to do a sequel with the same cast.

Edited by Silver_leader

Realised how long it had been since I read the book, so picked up the Gollancz black book version, along with their Conan and Earthsea collections. That'll give me something to keep me occupied during the Long Night ahead.

50 pages in and I've already read most of the quote from the trailer 😂

On 9/17/2020 at 11:38 AM, theBitterFig said:

I too like the 1984 Dune.

2000 Dune never worked for me.

I couldn't get into the mini series.. it always felt too small to me. Like it was all done on a single sound stage.

I am a big fan of the stage play aspect of the miniseries set design.

I never read the books, but I remember watching David Lynch's version in my early teenage years (too young for that, I know, but I always loved science fiction). That film was extremely disturbing for me back in the middle 1980's and heck, I started re-watching it a few days ago and the scenes with Baron Harkonnen are still disgusting.

How the Baron was shown in the 1984's film is THE representation of perversion. Not only his (deliberated?) face pustules, but his degeneration (sexual predator?), his voice, insecurity... and he can fly. Stuff of nightmares. I can clearly feel that there is something VERY WRONG in the scenes with him and his band in Giedi Prime. To the point the impression stays several days before watching it.

I didn't read the books, but is the character so revolting there, or David Lynch added extra layers of repugnance on it?

Edited by Odanan
5 hours ago, Odanan said:

I never read the books, but I remember watching David Lynch's version in my early teenage years (too young for that, I know, but I always loved science fiction). That film was extremely disturbing for me back in the middle 1980's and heck, I started re-watching it a few days ago and the scenes with Baron Harkonnen are still disgusting.

How the Baron was shown in the 1984's film is THE representation of perversion. Not only his (deliberated?) face pustules, but his degeneration (sexual predator?), his voice, insecurity... and he can fly. Stuff of nightmares. I can clearly feel that there is something VERY WRONG in the scenes with him and his band in Giedi Prime. To the point the impression stays several days before watching it.

I didn't read the books, but is the character so revolting there, or David Lynch added extra layers of repugnance on it?

You should read the books. At least the ones for the movie. And follow them with Dune messiah and Children of Dune. They are excellent. I personnally like very much the God Emperor because you see the interior conflit of Leto II.

Lynch's version of the Baron is interesting, but very caricatural. I hope to see a terrifying mastermind in Villeneuve's work with Stellan Skasgard.

The Baron version in the miniserie was on the opposite side of the spectre. He does not have traces of his fight against the Bene Gesserit, and it must be there. For the sake of his lust for vengeance.

1 minute ago, Silver_leader said:

You should read the books. At least the ones for the movie. And follow them with Dune messiah and Children of Dune. They are excellent. I personnally like very much the God Emperor because you see the interior conflit of Leto II.

Lynch's version of the Baron is interesting, but very caricatural. I hope to see a terrifying mastermind in Villeneuve's work with Stellan Skasgard.

+1 for reading the books. The Baron in the book is definitely twisted and vile, but also a Machiavellian genius. Agreed that Lynch's version was over the top.

Rereading now it's amazing to see just how accurate to the book the scenes shown in the trailer were. Visuals like the burning palm trees, the design of the ornithopters and stillsuits etc

17 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Rereading now it's amazing to see just how accurate to the book the scenes shown in the trailer were. Visuals like the burning palm trees, the design of the ornithopters and stillsuits etc

Not to remove credit from Villeneuve's work, but they have a greater acces to all kinds of technologies to better reprensent the books in 2020 than Lynch had in 1984.

I can't wait to see how the spice and the Guild memebers will be put on screen.....

However, I have 1 big conflict with what I saw: Chani is supposed to be Liet Kynes's daughter. I hope that they woll have a good explanation for that in the movie.

1 minute ago, Silver_leader said:

Not to remove credit from Villeneuve's work, but they have a greater acces to all kinds of technologies to better reprensent the books in 2020 than Lynch had in 1984.

Oh, absolutely. I thought the visuals in Lynch's version of Dune were actually pretty good for the time, even if they haven't aged particularly well (looking at you, shields). He captured the "essence" of the book. I wasn't comparing the two against each other.

It was very good to note how much Villeneuve talked about use of practical effects and filming on location rather than reliance on CGI and green screen. The trailer had a real feel of authenticity, and it was fun hearing Oscar Isaac talk about the sets for Dune blowing the Star Wars effects out of the water (even if it was tongue in cheek!) 😂

2 hours ago, Silver_leader said:

However, I have 1 big conflict with what I saw: Chani is supposed to be Liet Kynes's daughter. I hope that they will have a good explanation for that in the movie.

Why couldn't she still be Liet Kyne's daughter by a Fremen husband? The only thing I'd question as changed is whether Liet in the new film is half-Fremen or not Fremen at all. Multiracial children can have fairly different appearances from their parents. EDIT: Heck, even just children in general. My half-brother has much darker skin the rest of the family without having different genetics than his full-siblings.

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark
6 hours ago, Silver_leader said:

However, I have 1 big conflict with what I saw: Chani is supposed to be Liet Kynes's daughter. I hope that they woll have a good explanation for that in the movie.

Yeah, you're right. It is impossible for women to have daughters.

How could the film makers have been so stupid....

17 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Yeah, you're right. It is impossible for women to have daughters.

How could the film makers have been so stupid....

4 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

Why couldn't she still be Liet Kyne's daughter by a Fremen husband? The only thing I'd question as changed is whether Liet in the new film is half-Fremen or not Fremen at all. Multiracial children can have fairly different appearances from their parents. EDIT: Heck, even just children in general. My half-brother has much darker skin the rest of the family without having different genetics than his full-siblings.

I was just meaning that I hope that this link will be seen in this newer version, as it was in Lynch's version. She is also supposed to be a leader as respected as Stilgar for the Fremen.

☹️

Just release it in demand. I’d rent it. Worked well for Bill and Ted Face the Music

41 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Just release it in demand. I’d rent it. Worked well for Bill and Ted Face the Music

True... but I think this is probably going to be the kind of cinematic experience you're going to want to see on the big screen, especially on the first time of asking.

9 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

True... but I think this is probably going to be the kind of cinematic experience you're going to want to see on the big screen, especially on the first time of asking.

While I normally agree, until things take a drastic change, I'm not going to a theatre for the foreseeable future.

I would love to see it in theatre, but I'm not going to risk that theatre employees will keep things clean. I don't think that theatres are even a necessity, nor should said employees risk exposure for my entertainment.

As well, if things do not improve, how many times will they delay it? If it is sitting in a shelf (or on a hard drive) it isn't making any money. This goes for other marketing - books, toys, etc. They have to be stored in a warehouse until release. Release them too early and people won't buy, they go into a bargain bin and sell for a loss. There are a lot of factors.

I hope we’re in theaters by October 2021.

24 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

I hope we’re in theaters by October 2021.

If Cineworld is anything to go by, there won't be any theatres left in October 2021.

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

If Cineworld is anything to go by, there won't be any theatres left in October 2021.

It is possible that drive-ins could make a resurgence.

35 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

It is possible that drive-ins could make a resurgence.

They have somewhat, but the amount of land it takes to get the same level of revenue means it's unlikely to stay that way.

Theaters are hoping to reopen sometime next year. The companies producing also have issue continuing with existing productions right now (an example being Robat Battinbat getting covid and that interrupting production) and new productions have to have at least as much trouble. If the cinemas are going to open next year, they'll need to rely largely on films that are done and haven't been released (stuff like Black Widow) and whatever manages to be produced during the pandemic.

3 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

The buildings will exist and banks will open them eventually, even if they’re under new management. It’s expensive to repurpose theater space.

I think many of them will be back.

Don't worry, in the US, the courts have said that it is now okay for the film distributors to own movie theaters. So, the next phase of movie going is going to be... interesting.

8 hours ago, Sithborg said:

Don't worry, in the US, the courts have said that it is now okay for the film distributors to own movie theaters. So, the next phase of movie going is going to be... interesting.

I am looking forward to their insanely cringe attempts to get millennials to come back to theaters in 2022.