Dune postponed till Oct. 2021

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in X-Wing Off-Topic

Looking forward to this. Will be interesting comparing it to Lynch's version!

7 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

It’s looking great from the clips shown.

In the movie version, I love José Ferrer as the Padisha Emperor, and I had a crush on the young Virginia Madsen.

Man I am old.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

28 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun
21 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Ma n I am old.

You and me both fella.

24 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Man I am old.

Heh. I'm thinking 1961 is a great year to be born. ;)

@Spinland

Sure, good to be 19 when The Empire Strikes Back was in theaters !

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Yup. And I was 16 when the first Star Wars film took theaters by storm. Drove myself to see it umpteen times.

49 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

I had a crush on the young Virginia Madsen.

Who didn't?
8929253ee1ab70552f6cf281ce0de37e.jpg

49 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Man I am old.

Yes.

20 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Who didn't?
8929253ee1ab70552f6cf281ce0de37e.jpg

Rebecca Louisa Ferguson Sundström in the new movie is a killer as well.

I know that they couldn't and almost certainly shouldn't have deliberately referenced anything from the Lynch version so that this can have its own identity, but **** was the aesthetic of Lynch's Dune on point.

I do kinda wish they could have something like those sweet Caladan uniforms, or the Mentat's appearance.

My one, tiny concern with this film is that the visuals are a little bland and generic 00s/10s/20s sci fi. A little bit of quirkiness would have gone down well.

It's going to be really weird not having red haired Harkonnens too.

I love the shield fight clip, though. Looks so much more like how the book's described it. And you get more of a sense that they might not be visible when not being struck, which again is more book accurate. But a very small part of me is sad that Paul and Gurney don't look like giant orange translucent rock golems bouncing around the room for that fight....

Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto is just... ooooh. Chef kiss.

I've been looking forward to seeing him since his casting was announced, and I know we've seen press pictures but it's not quite the same as an snippet from the film.

I'm so excited for this.

Please be good. Dune is such a weird thing and so easy to mess up, so here's hoping they can deliver an interesting film.

8 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

I know that they couldn't and almost certainly shouldn't have deliberately referenced anything from the Lynch version so that this can have its own identity, but **** was the aesthetic of Lynch's Dune on point.

I do kinda wish they could have something like those sweet Caladan uniforms, or the Mentat's appearance.

But a very small part of me is sad that Paul and Gurney don't look like giant orange translucent rock golems bouncing around the room for that fight....

Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto is just... ooooh. Chef kiss.

Agreed on the aesthetics Lynch created 🥂 🥂 🥂

The Caldan uniforms were sweet! But these look decent as well. And reminder that a certain Mentat was in Lord of the Rings as well.

They could not go with blocky shields after Minecraft came out, too proprietary.

Personnally I found the David Lynch version interesting. Obviously some flaws (like the sound weapons), but a lot of good things (Sting as Feyd-Rautha, the worms, Paul, the Baron).

While watching the trailer, I had a blade runner 2049 feeling with the music. And hearing Eclipse from Pink Floyd was (IMO) a kinda tribute to the 1984 version.

I feel that Paul and Chani will be very well played. I love the Gom Jabbar scene in the trailer, and the fact that the discussion between Paul and the Gaius Helen Mohiam of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood seems to be longer than simply the gom jabbar.

I just watched the complete interview with the cast, and I see A LOT more than simply the trailer. I feel even more hyped after having watched the interviews and the footage in it.

Edited by Silver_leader
On 9/9/2020 at 5:28 PM, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

In the movie version, I love José Ferrer as the Padisha Emperor...

I see your José Ferrer and raise you a Salvador Dalí

https://youtu.be/m0cJNR8HEw0

SO, I've been doing a deep YouTube dive on this because I'm so hyped. Catching plenty of first impressions from Dune fans, and most seem to be overwhelmed by how good this looks and really positive.

I've also enjoyed seeing the clickbait "reaction" videos from certain YouTubers "Yeah, I don't know anything about Dune, never read the books" etc who basically freak out over Oscar Isaac and Jason Momoa and who appear to think this is going to be some kind of sci-fi Avengers ensemble film. Boy, are they going to be surprised 😂

Now... my big question is, is how far can this go as a franchise?

While trying to avoid any potential spoilers here, it looks like the first book is going to be split into two films, with House Atreides time on Arrakis being the first and (probably) ending with the arrival at Sietch Tabr. There's a bit of a time jump there which will allow for a break before the events of the second film.

But what about after that?

Obviously there's a mountain of material still to come after the first book (which has been described by hardcore fans as pretty much just a prelude to the true story), but a lot of the material and themes would seem incredibly difficult to translate onto the big screen. The first book has the mix of world-building, characters and action that can make a blockbuster, but it's still a difficult task. Some of the later stories seem for all intents and purposes unfilmable.

If Dune is a commercial success... just how far can it go?

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

SO, I've been doing a deep YouTube dive on this because I'm so hyped. Catching plenty of first impressions from Dune fans, and most seem to be overwhelmed by how good this looks and really positive.

I've also enjoyed seeing the clickbait "reaction" videos from certain YouTubers "Yeah, I don't know anything about Dune, never read the books" etc who basically freak out over Oscar Isaac and Jason Momoa and who appear to think this is going to be some kind of sci-fi Avengers ensemble film. Boy, are they going to be surprised 😂

Now... my big question is, is how far can this go as a franchise?

While trying to avoid any potential spoilers here, it looks like the first book is going to be split into two films, with House Atreides time on Arrakis being the first and (probably) ending with the arrival at Sietch Tabr. There's a bit of a time jump there which will allow for a break before the events of the second film.

But what about after that?

Obviously there's a mountain of material still to come after the first book (which has been described by hardcore fans as pretty much just a prelude to the true story), but a lot of the material and themes would seem incredibly difficult to translate onto the big screen. The first book has the mix of world-building, characters and action that can make a blockbuster, but it's still a difficult task. Some of the later stories seem for all intents and purposes unfilmable.

If Dune is a commercial success... just how far can it go?

Legitimately, I think beyond the first book the series just gets too weird for most audiences. While the producers are probably hoping more can be built out of this, I think Denis Villeneuve himself might know better. Then again, maybe he has a vision for how it could continue to work (assuming he would want to continue past the first two films).

If it's two successful films, I'll be pretty dang happy, personally. And I'd fully expect anything past that to be hard to swallow for the general audience.

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark
11 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

Legitimately, I think beyond the first book the series just gets too weird for most audiences. While the producers are probably hoping more can be built out of this, I think Denis Villeneuve himself might know better. Then again, maybe he has a vision for how it could continue to work (assuming he would want to continue past the first two films).

If it's two successful films, I'll be pretty dang happy, personally. And I'd fully expect anything past that to be hard to swallow for the general audience.

Pretty much my take on it - at least going forward, anyway. I'm sure Denis would be concentrating on delivering as genuine an experience as possible for the first book as possible, and that's it.

There may be scope for a prequel in cinemas, but I doubt Villeneuve would be attached.

The books that follow Dune though, yeah, weird is definitely one word for it. Complex would be another.

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

Pretty much my take on it - at least going forward, anyway. I'm sure Denis would be concentrating on delivering as genuine an experience as possible for the first book as possible, and that's it.

There may be scope for a prequel in cinemas, but I doubt Villeneuve would be attached.

The books that follow Dune though, yeah, weird is definitely one word for it. Complex would be another.

They have announced a Bene Gesserit series, Sisterhood of Dune, which Denis is involved in and ties into the movie in some way. I'm guessing it might be a prequel, possibly related to Sisterhoods of Dune (Brian and KJA) or might just be its own thing based on the OG Frank novels. It kind of makes sense because the stuff before any of the Golden Path stories might actually be more palatable to the GA.

22 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

I found the Children of Dune miniserie really interesting. I think that Dune Messiah and Children of Dune can be send to the big screen with a good understanding from the standard audience.

God-Emperor, Heretics is just too far from the 4 first books.

Maybe the prequels by Brian Herbert (story of Duncan, ...)

Wonder what rating we're looking at for this?

3 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Wonder what rating we're looking at for this?

I would say PG-13 for the psychological aspect

I too like the 1984 Dune.

2000 Dune never worked for me.