New Novella - Dark Revelations

By Duciris, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

1 hour ago, dysartes said:

I know I was glad to see one of the cards in Winifred's deck after reading Jenny's book.

I had the same reaction when I saw Abagail from Silas's book show up in Weaver of the Cosmos.

17 minutes ago, KBlumhardt said:

I had the same reaction when I saw Abagail from Silas's book show up in Weaver of the Cosmos.

Yup.

I wonder what kind of campaign she'll be included in eventually...with Dexter and Silas in Innsmouth, we're still waiting for Norman to show up in one, when the heck is that going to happen.

As far as Gloria goes, I don't think she'd be involved in an Antarctica campaign, but I've been surprised before.

Gloria would be fine for a Mi-Go-centric campaign.

I mean, quite often, only 1 or 2 investigators have a strong link to the current campaign.

1 hour ago, Carthoris said:

Gloria would be fine for a Mi-Go-centric campaign.

Ah, the Mi-Go...yes popping some Space Mead and getting flown to Yuggoth is something the LCG could do really well. Hope that's in the future.

The age-old quandary: who do we have left and where are they going?

1. Agatha Crane - the Parapsychologist
  2. Bob Jenkins - the Salesman
  3. Carson Sinclair - the Buttler
  4. Charlie Kane - the Politician
  5. Daniela Reyes - the Mechanic
  6. Darrell Simmons - the Photographer
  7. George Barnaby - the Lawyer
  8. Gloria Goldberg - the Author
  9. Hank Samson - the Farmhand
  10. Kate Winthrop - the Scientist
  11. Lily Chen - the Martial Artist
  12. Michael McGlen - the Gangster
  13. Monterey Jack - the Archeologist
  14. Norman Withers - the Astronomer
  15. Vincent Lee - the Doctor
  16. Wilson Richards - the Handyman

Arriving in Innsmouth: Sister Mary , Amanda Sharpe , Dexter Drake , Trish Scarborough (Fair) & Silas Marsh .

(Correct me as needed.)

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

Scarborough (Fair)

Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.

Anyway, we already have 8 and 14; mystic and seeker respectively. A couple are really obvious, like Mike McGlen (Rogue) and Kate Winthrop (Seeker). That being said, there have been curveballs in the past that I wouldn't have been able to predict by their subtitles such as the cook, Zoey Samaras: sounds like a survivor, turns out she's a guardian. Or Agnes Baker, the waitress who is a mystic. So not knowing the characters from other IPs, I can't really guess aside from the obvious.

The one I'm most interested in seeing is Carson Sinclair. Assuming he's mundane, I think the best argument is for the most supportive type of guardian possible. Guardians are the archetype most likely to enable their allies to succeed and to provide resources and cards to them, so it seems to fit to me.

I feel like Charlie Kane, as a politician, makes a lot of sense as a neutral investigator, as he has to appeal to the largest base.

Yeah I’m not sure about Carson. In the other games Carson enables extra movement or actions so less guardian types of support which is more healing and tanking.

Harvey pretty much has the card draw covered, but I could see some kind of ability that synergizes with seekers “guidance” card which pretty much Gives your action to another player. But this would be terrible in solo so perhaps something that can give yourself or another player an action?

Or maybe he can free trigger to make someone at his location be able to play a card as if it were fast once per round.

Im just spitballing. Take heart and Grimm’s fairy tales both feel appropriate to Carson’s role as a warden to the children he looks after...

Edited by Soakman

They certainly saved some fan favorites for the later campaigns, which is nice. I don't know too many people who say Wilson Richards is their favorite, but people talk about Lily Chen, Charlie Kane and Monterey Jack all the time. I'm still real excited to see what Bob Jenkins does in the game. Also I love George Barnaby's story and I'm holding out hope someone does a novella for him. I agree we probably have a Mi Go themed cycle coming considering a couple of the saved investigators have Mi Go in their backstory. I also suspect they will do a Beyond The Mountains of Madness type campaign. That's a very popular request, we've seen it in other Arkham Files games and they've had smirks on their faces when asked directly about it. Though we have enough investigators left for at least 3 more campaigns if they don't add more so I do wonder what they will do beyond that.

Hehehe

Wilson Richards is actually my favorite. He will probably be a Survivor or guardian. He also seem to have some bone to pick with the O'Bannions. If I can I always get an expansion that contain him.

Proof that every investigator is someone's favorite.

This is my favorite part of speculation. So let's look at the backstories we have to see if we have any clues on what future cycles will be themed for:

1. Agatha Crane - She's investigating the Witch House. We already had that cycle.
  2. Bob Jenkins - His story references strange coin and Kingsport. Specifically The Strange High House In The Mist and The Festival. Maybe we have a Kingsport cycle coming? We haven't really explored that location I think.
  3. Carson Sinclair - His story references The Haunter Of The Dark in it's quote. He also ties into Wilson Richards in his story. His story makes direct reference to Nyarlathotep and the Church of Starry Wisdom.
  4. Charlie Kane - Charlie's story mentions Darrell Simmons, Carl Sanford, The Historical Society and Mandy's story ties in with him. I feel like if anything we already had a witch/silver twilight themed cycle so he probably doesn't give us any clues.
  5. Daniela Reyes - she isn't in investigators of arkham. her story blurb on her cards I think just mention evil spirits.
  6. Darrell Simmons - His story and quote are direct references to the Unnamable. We've already seen references to the Unnamable in the game adn if anything it would tie into Randolph Carter in the Dream Eater Cycle so I suspect he gives no clues.
  7. George Barnaby - he is tracking down the cult that murdered his wife. His story ties into Ithaqua and Rhan-Tegoth.
  8. Gloria Goldberg - We got this book for her so we'll find out more soon. She gets visions. Before I would have put her thematically in the Dreamlands cycle. I suspect she doesn't give us a clue.
  9. Hank Samson - his story has some references to the Dunwich Horror and a winged creature attacking their cows. Not very helpful since we already did Dunwich and a winged creature can be so many things (Mi-Go, Byakhee, Hunting Horrors etc). So probably no clues.
  10. Kate Winthrop - Direct references to Mi Go in her story.
  11. Lily Chen - no clear connection to a mythos theme as far as I can see. She's just preparing to face a great evil
  12. Michael McGlen - is connected the the Clover Club and the O'Bannion gang. His story has a quote from The Moon-Bog and he encounters a beast in the bog. I doubt he's a clue to a future cycle theme though.
  13. Monterey Jack - His story has a quote from The Haunter Of The Dark and has direct references to Nephren-Ka, his crypt and the Shining Trapezohedron. The ST is a reference to Yuggoth and possibly the Mi-Go.
  14. Norman Withers - whole Novella about missing stars, splitting the angles and the Hounds.
  15. Vincent Lee - To me sounds like Mi Go considering the autopsy in his story describes a cleanly cut skull. Sounds like brain extraction to me. His quote is from From Beyond which suggests extra dimensional contact. So sounds sci fi to me in either event.
  16. Wilson Richards - His story has a quote from The Thing On The Door Step and references to Haunter Of The Dark, but his story is a more generic unease at Arkham in general. He has a tie in with Carson Sinclair in Carson's story which has way more clues as to a potential theme.

So a big clue is we have alot of characters swirling around Mi-Go, The Church of Starry Wisdom, Nyarlathotep, Yoggoth and The Shining Trapezohedron. So that seems like an educated guess at an upcoming theme. So a box containing a few of the following investigators: Carson, Kate, Wilson and maybe Vincent and Hank potentially. Hank and Wilson feel like Survivors. Kate is an easy Seeker. Carson and Vincent could be Guardians. None of those sounds like easy fits for Mystic or Rogue.

Edited by phillos

Hank could be a great guardian, really. Always been a tanky fighter, and his motivations are quite selfless.

Yeah that's fair.

Vincent could also be a Seeker potentially. Hank could potentially be a Guardian.

Edited by phillos

I want Monterey Jack (the Archeologist) to not be a seeker. I'd like to see him as a rogue - able to team up with Ursula & Leo on their adventures into TFA & the Mountains of Madness.

56 minutes ago, Duciris said:

I want Monterey Jack (the Archeologist) to not be a seeker. I'd like to see him as a rogue - able to team up with Ursula & Leo on their adventures into TFA & the Mountains of Madness.

I know people want to peg Monterey in an expedition cycle like Mountains or something similar. Though judging by his backstory he fits more with a Church of Starry Wisdom cycle. I would also peg him as a Rogue honestly based on his depiction in Investigators Of Arkham. We have some expedition themed cards already in Rogue. Maybe in his cycle we will get more. If we get a Church of Starry Wisdom cycle then I could see Carson as Guardian, Monterey as Rogue, Wilson a Survivor. Then maybe Lily as some sort of physical Mystic and Kate as a Seeker if the cycle also ties into Yuggoth.

That would leave people like Norman, George and Vincent for an Miskatonic polar exploration arc. Maybe Darrell going along as a photographer. Maybe Kate since she's also tied to the university if she doesn't appear in the other cycle.

Here's my guess on remaining class breakdown:

Seekers: Agatha Crane, Kate Winthrop, Norman Withers, George Barnaby

Rogues: Bob Jenkins, Michael McGlen, Monterey Jack

Mystics: Gloria Goldberg, Lily Chen, Dexter

Guardians: Vincent Lee, Carson Sinclair, Hank Samson

Survivors: Wilson Richards, Darrell Simmons, Daniela Reyes

Neutrals: Charlie Kane

Starry Wisdom cycle: Kate, Monterey, Lily, Carson, Wilson

Polar Exploration cycle: Norman, George, Vincent, Darrell, Dexter and Bob maybe...

Another Arkham Cult themed cycle: Agatha, Michael, Gloria, Hank, Daniela, Charlie

Edited by phillos

Is Trish our Rogue sub-Seeker? I believe we are only missing that slot along with the Seeker sub-Rogue & Survivor sub-Seeker for the dual-classers.

On 9/9/2020 at 12:08 PM, SGPrometheus said:

Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.

Anyway, we already have 8 and 14; mystic and seeker respectively. A couple are really obvious, like Mike McGlen (Rogue) and Kate Winthrop (Seeker). That being said, there have been curveballs in the past that I wouldn't have been able to predict by their subtitles such as the cook, Zoey Samaras: sounds like a survivor, turns out she's a guardian. Or Agnes Baker, the waitress who is a mystic. So not knowing the characters from other IPs, I can't really guess aside from the obvious.

The one I'm most interested in seeing is Carson Sinclair. Assuming he's mundane, I think the best argument is for the most supportive type of guardian possible. Guardians are the archetype most likely to enable their allies to succeed and to provide resources and cards to them, so it seems to fit to me.

I feel like Charlie Kane, as a politician, makes a lot of sense as a neutral investigator, as he has to appeal to the largest base.

I made a big prediction spreadsheet a while back, trying to figure out what they'd do with the existing investigators (obviously having no clue they'd be adding as many new faces as they have planned)... and so far I'm doing fairly well in my predictions. I had Sister Mary pegged as a Mystic (it was between that and survivor for me), but otherwise, I've nailed the last several. That said, I don't really expect my streak to continue as we go on, as I was (and still am) trying to end up with roughly even amounts of all the classes, which isn't really feasible without adding new investigators, as they'd have to put out a cycle or two with no Mystics to do so.

As of Innsmouth, the class breakdown of 'fully released' investigators is 8G/9M/8R/8Sk/8Sv/1N , with 1M and 1Sk available only in the Novellas, so we're at 8G/10M/8R/9Sk/8Sv/1N .

Anyway, right or wrong, here are my predictions:

Guardians - Daniela, Hank, Lily, and Michael - These are all physically imposing, tough characters. Lily a bit less so, but she's a badass martial artist, so it seems obvious. Mike could go either way, but I'm leaning more towards Guardian than Rogue, because he's definitely more of a fighter than someone who would try to avoid conflict.

Mystics - Agatha, (Gloria) - The 'para' in parapsychologist suggests Mystic, but I'd expect a heavy seeker pool and unique mechanic.

Rogues - Bob, Charlie, Monterey - Bob and Charlie are the definitive 'fast talkers'. Politicians and Salesman both have a tendency to be looked at as con-men, which fits the Rogue. I'm in the 'Monterey as Indiana Jones and thus Rogue' camp here as well.

Seekers - George, Kate, (Norman) - Knowledge-seekers and nerds. Both the lawyer and the scientist are big thinkers, their books (or test tubes) never far behind. If I was going purely off archetypes, George would be a Rogue, since lawyers are all crooks, but that doesn't fit what we know about George. :)

Survivors - Darrell, Vincent, Wilson - I'm not nearly as confident in these (except for Vincent, maybe), but my gut puts each of them here. They each seem like people who would end up in places and situations they shouldn't be in, but would pull through on sheer tenacity and dumb luck.

Neutral - Carson - He could go Survivor as well, but he's so heavily established as a support character in the other AF games, I like the thought of him as our 2nd Neutral 'gator.

Assuming no other 'original' investigators were introduced by the time these guys and gals all joined us (which isn't going to happen, as Caleb has mentioned they've got a bunch of new 'gators they've been working on), this would put our final total at a fairly well-balanced 12G/11M/11R/11Sk/11Sv/2N. Mike is probably the most obvious possible swing, which would shift us from 12G to 12R... either works.

Edited by KBlumhardt
7 hours ago, Duciris said:

Is Trish our Rogue sub-Seeker? I believe we are only missing that slot along with the Seeker sub-Rogue & Survivor sub-Seeker for the dual-classers.

Survivor sub Seeker sound like maybe Darrell to me considering he is investigating the Unnamable. Seeker sub Rogue could be Monterey. He is an obvious choice as some sort of Seeker/Rogue hybrid. Also I could see George as a Lawyer being a fast talker. He seems to have money considering him and his wife were sailing around the world in their own boat before tragedy struck.

I can see the argument that Agatha is a Mystic and Lily is a Guardian. If that's true and we move the rubiks cube around maybe we look like this:

Seekers: Kate Winthrop, Norman Withers (Known), George Barnaby

Rogues: Bob Jenkins, Michael McGlen, Monterey Jack

Mystics: Gloria Goldberg (Known), Dexter (Known), Agatha Crane

Guardians: Vincent Lee, Carson Sinclair, Hank Samson, Lily Chen

Survivors: Wilson Richards, Darrell Simmons, Daniela Reyes

I still peg Vincent as Guardian since he is a doctor. There's alot of healing damage cards in that class. I guess the actual Medical Text is in Seeker, but somehow I keep resisting putting Vincent in Seeker. It feels like his motivation is more inline with the Guardian description as a trained medical professional.

My problem with putting Mike in Guardian is I don't think he jives much with the Guardian motivation of protecting people. I'd think he is safely a Rogue. I guess I can go back and read his story, but as a mob enforcer it's a tough hill to climb to put his in with the more selfless Tommy, Zoey, Mary, Carolyn... Guardian isn't really just about being tough fighters as Carolyn, Yorick and Tony showed us. It's really about that description of their motivation in the game manual. Carolyn specifically gets to be Guardian mostly becuase her motivation aligns. Her deck is almost entirely Seeker and Mystic in my experience, but her investigator card is still blue.

I still kinda think Lily is a physical Mystic character considering she's motivated by a prophecy (Also I think it would be cool to have a real physical focused Mystic). Though she is also trying to defeat a great evil to protect people so I guess it's a bit more of a toss up. By my argument Zoey easily could have been a Mystic considering her motivations so it's not a science :)

Edited by phillos

I'm predicting the photographer as our first strongly clue-focused survivor, likely even survivor/seeker, a combo we don't have yet (just the other way around). Mainly because he's already on a few survivor cards.

• Guardians: - George Barnaby, Lily Chen, Vincent Lee
  • Mystics: Agatha Crane, Carson Sinclair, (Gloria Goldberg)
  • Rogues: Daniela Reyes, Michael McGlen, Monterey Jack
  • Seekers: Darrell Simmons, Kate Winthrop, (Norman Withers)
  • Survivors: Bob Jenkins, Hank Samson, Wilson Richards
  • Neutral: Charlie Kane
  • Guardians: - George Barnaby, Lily Chen, Vincent Lee
  • Mystics: (Gloria Goldberg),Agatha Crane
  • Rogues: Michael McGlen, Monterey Jack,Bob Jenkins
  • Survivors: Daniela Reyes, , Hank Samson, Wilson Richards
  • Neutral: Charlie Kane,, Carson Sinclair

I definitely feel like Hank as a farmhand is more survivor than guardian. He doesn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed, but it’s hard to imagine anyone more suited to a chainsaw and old hunting rifle (except maybe Wilson). Cards like dumb luck seem fitting too.

In other games, he was always able to ignore horror checks if he defeated an enemy. I wonder if we will see this return as something similar. Maybe if you damage an enemy, you cannot be assigned horror from it that round? With something like that he wouldn’t need guardian tricks like dodge and delay the inevitable and Jessica could soak damage while giving him better hit rates.

Edited by Soakman

George Barnaby as a Guardian. That's not a bad idea since his motivation as a Lawyer might have been to help people. His current story is really about chasing down a cult that killed his wife for revenge and that seems to draw him to Rhan-Tegoth. So I wonder if he will end up being a Mystic. They could definitely lean on that angle and give us our third remaining Mystic next to Agatha and Gloria.

"Rhan-Tegoth has his reward waiting ... you need but wake him. Ithaqua's minions cannot stop you now..."

That's a quote toward the end of his story and that feels very Mystic-y to me. It is whispered to him by something that sounds like his dead wife while he investigates a frozen temple on a small island in the Arctic Ocean. The whole story is about George being led further and further in by some mythos entity.

If I slide it around maybe:

• Guardians: - Carson Sinclair, Lily Chen, Vincent Lee
  • Mystics: (Gloria Goldberg), Agatha Crane, George Barnaby
  • Rogues: Michael McGlen, Monterey Jack, Bob Jenkins
  • Survivors: Daniela Reyes, Hank Samson, Wilson Richards
  • Neutral: Charlie Kane

I strongly suspect Carson is Guardian since in his story his major motivation is his duty to protect his dead employers children. Wilson in his story very much feels like a Survivor in that trouble seems to be finding him and it's freaking him out.

Edited by phillos

I just want it to play out so I can do the "old bearded white men": 4-person team (well, 3 bearded) without crossing too many classes

Grandaddy Harvey Walters (Seeker)

Norman Withers (Seeker, but really a Mystic)

George Barnaby (hopefully a Guardian)

then the no-beard but white-haired Charlie Kane (?) or maybe Carson Sinclair (?)