PLEASE DELETE ME

By Tidrewski Kolbehs, in Rules

PLEASE DELETE

THANK YOU

Edited by Tidrewski Kolbehs

Firstly, overall formatting looks pretty good, I appreciate the inclusion of a photo of the intended model next to the statlines.
I'd consider putting the rules in the front and the army lists in the back though. For one thing, it means the pages for rules won't be changing as you add new units, so it's a bit easier to put page reference numbers. Plus, then the reader has an idea of what all the different stats do before they start reading the unit stats.
What is the play area intended to be? That doesn't seem to be specified anywhere, nor a recommended point level, which is useful for new players who don't yet have an idea as to what constitutes a decent number of points for an "army."

I don't like the "Weight" mechanic at all. I think it would be better to have wargear limited by other means, such as "at most one from this list." Especially since nothing prevents you right now from loading up a single model with multiple heavy weapons. A stat that has no use in the course of the actual game isn't a stat, it's a list building restriction and in my opinion should be handled differently, so I don't have a useless stat to track/look past in the course of a game. Also, a speeder having a lower "weight capacity" than a person "feels" bad. Also, what is the point of the Intelligence stat at all? Is that something coming later?

It also looks like Rex comes with a blaster rifle, but not his signature twin pistols, which is unusual to me.
Having the ranged power tied to the unit doesn't seem odd to me as well, since a blaster should hit with the same force regardless of who uses it, much like in MESBG. Similarly, lightsaber damage being tied to the model using the weapon feels off, especially since a lightsaber should be able to cut through most armour. Similarly, having to compare the range characteristic of the model and the weapon and compare them slows things down. I'd recommend just using the range stat of the weapon. All the ranges are way too short for this scale in my opinion.

As for the game rules, I'd change "missile weapons" to "ranged weapons" since this game has actual missile launchers in it. Additionally, you initially state that a model can only engage one model, but then almost immediately state that "if a model is large enough it may engage multiple models." Any base is large enough to engage multiple models since you don't specify what makes that determination.

Standing up/Lying down has a formatting error.

Solely from reading the rules, I have no idea how to do a shoot phase. You have a lot of undefined terms: Line of Sight (How do I check that?) Range (How do I check range? Base to base, barrel of weapon to a point on the targeted model? etc), In the Way test, Shoot Value (What is a shoot value? That's not one of the stats of a model), etc. How many weapons does each model get to use? I can load up a model with a bunch of ranged weapons, so do I get to use all of them, or have to choose one?
Also, why can't a model that is prone shoot? It makes sense in MESBG to disallow that (have you ever tried to use a bow while lying down?) but that's one of the main advantages of using a firearm, they work fine while prone. The way the rules are written, a model that uses a jetpack to change altitude cannot then fire as it has "Climbed."

I also don't understand what a "Fight" is that term isn't defined anywhere previously. It also seems like the priority player gets to pick the order the Fight phase is resolved, not (I assume) which "fight" to resolve first. The fight rules are very confusing to me, it seems that if I have multiple models in a fight, and one of my models wins, the other model is defeated, and therefore takes a strike.

What determines if a model is able to drive a vehicle? That doesn't seem to be defined anyway.

This is just my quick notes while on my lunch break, I can look at it more later.

Thank you for your input. The idea to move the rules to the front definitely makes sense. The weight mechanic is my biggest difficulty right now because I'm trying to find a way to put a limit on weapons/tools but I can't make it global. I.e a b1 Cannot hold as many weapons as an arc trooper. I definitely agree that it either needs more work or to be changed. I don't love it either. Similarly with the vehicles, I just need to find another way to make a clear limit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rex is unfinished (as you can probably tell by his nonexistent special rules). As far as making all the weapons the same power for all users, it limits how much you can change a unit. i.e how is an arc trooper with a blaster made better than a normal phase 1 trooper with a blaster. It is supposed to indicate multiple traits, combined into one. basically, it should be easier for Rex to kill a droid with a blaster than a normal soldier. IMO, the simplest way to do this is to raise the base power. Again any ideas are appreciated.

Thank you for all the input on the rules. I will definitely make all that more apparent and coherent. It's hard because I already understand the game (in my head) so I just assume that it makes sense.

The idea of having the double range stats was to prevent basic units from using super good weapons. I.e a clone trooper using Aurra Sing's sniper (planning on having 12+" range).

As far as how short the average range is, I did some testing and IMO, you would need a very large map to allow them to still move around. It also allows melee characters, jedi, sith, etc... to get close before they can be hit. Otherwise when they are still 2 turns away (12" at 6" move a turn) they get completely blown away by the entire enemy army. Also have you watched star wars? they can't hit anything further away than the barn door. 😛

About being prone, the idea is that you would only ever be prone if you were pushed/knocked over, which would basically prevent you from shooting. I could potentially make a rule that a model can choose to go prone, maybe removing/slowing his move but increasing his accuracy?

As far as drivers go, I'm planning on adding something about either must be bi-pedal or if it's agreed upon by both players.

Any other suggestions/thoughts are very welcome. I'm planning on either making a spreadsheet with known issues/ideas or making the document itself available for comments/edits. I think that would just be chaos though if this becomes popular. I'll probably end up doing a spreadsheet that people can request to have access to.

Thank you again - Kolbehs

Edited by Tidrewski Kolbehs

Just reread the note about intelligence. I am definitely planning on giving it more of a purpose. Currently the only effect it has is with jedi mind tricks. I'm planning on doing more with it though.

Also I will recommend a overall point value for the game. I just haven't decided on a good number. probably somewhere in the 400-700 range. obviously the players could change this if wanted.