Keeping second edition's 'journeys' going....

By Watercolour Dragon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

On 10/25/2020 at 11:02 PM, TryFal said:

An idea I always had was something for RtL and was hoping FFG would integrated something like that into the game:

every character has a background story that can be triggered in a campaign. So if you choose 2/4 characters, there personal quest may pop up, but you have to choose wisely because choosing one eliminates the others. And every story has a benefit for the team if completed successfully.

so basically, there has to be 1 mission per character available. That is a lot to produce, but the replay-ability will be huge by it.

maybe you can implement this into your work or something. Goodluck and curious to see what you have up your sleeve!

cheers!

I haven't really looked into Valkrie yet- for people who DO like apps I may do something with Valkyrie (I say may as it depends if I can learn any code/Unity/etc techy stuff needed to do so or not)- worry not though my stuff won't be app only and due to the techy stuff and not being so app-minded in what I envisioned for the game the app side is not part of my main project

so

also for non-app people Tryfal's suggestion is a cool idea- I'm doing a lot on character backgrounds etc so ways I could incorporate this into the game might be quite fun, character stories already play very heavily into what I'm working on but not quite in this way so I might make use of your idea as it has lots of potential- maybe the overlord or other current enemy uses something against a hero or the hero has something that gives them a unique set of circumstances at a given point or the map's unique if that hero is in play - so many things you could do, tricky to implement but I've already done and made myself a tonne of work so adding stuff doesn't matter as such things add to replayability - ooh, what if I played that with this hero or chose that path.... and suit a big campaign line to stop it getting boring/repetetive.

I already have ideas for the missing heroes/ villains but of course others may wish to tell another story (one of the great things about a game with a story element!)

One idea I'm experimenting with that may or may not work is specific heroes for some parts then others with a choice of heroes, obviously this will only work if the gameplay side works which I'm really hoping it does as it means you effectively meet the heroes on your journeys then build up a pool of heroes to play, yes there are a heap of challenges and potential pitfalls to make this work but I'm determined to overcome them as if it works it means quite a bit of cool character-centric stuff, quite like Tryfal's idea but more woven-in to the fabric of the gameplay.

No idea if it's going to succeed yet but what I'm therefore trying out is a sort of adventurers guild concept where the band of heroes gradually grows over time but you've actually met them and played out their first adventure or series of adventures (even the guilds's origins are baked-in).

Slightly scared about the more innovative ideas like this in case I get a flaming of the likes you'd get from Merick should they fail after seeing all the 'legends' reactions but it is just a case of trying ideas out then if they work or not or work for some people but not everyone seeing how they evolve into a finished entity, so nothing's set in stone and any variations can be ultimately designed to be avoidable should anybody not particularly like them.

Some things will work others won't others may need refinement to work but if yer don'ts try(fal :) sorry bad trifle pun ) with some ideas yer don'ts gets yerself anywhere :)

On 10/28/2020 at 5:51 PM, VintageBullet said:

Is Second Edition fully retired ? No more reprints ? Haven't seen anything on that yet as a confirmed answer. I still need to see more but as of now, 2nd ED is still king for me !

Good point, it's not as far as we now know- 'legends' and 'journeys' are their own branches of the Descent line.

There are no new boxed 2e expansions being made.

We don't know about the RTL app (thus app could still get expansions) and reprints of existing sets as far as I am aware.

On this note now we know more that wasn't known back then I have updated the thread title and OP.

It doesn't appear as if FFG/Asmodee is going to continue printing 2E. Anything else that is the contrary would be a very present suprise.

As for my opinion, I don't see how 2E could ever lose its shelf life. If you have the core game and a few expansions (some of which are still available) you have hours of tabletop co-op time. Add RtL with different characters and you can playtest strategies, and have a lot of fun as well. Valkyrie and other fan made content and you have hundreds of hours of game play. I'd be impressed with any gaming group of a few people that could get together regularly enough and play out the base game with a few additions in under a year. If you could, you have one impressive gaming group.

Tabletop games may go out of print- but they never expire. I have heard D2E being described by some as "dated". I don't agree. I don't consider Gloomhaven an improvement, nor anything else that is currently available. I think it would be pretty hard to make a board game obsolete. The only way this should affect you is if you didn't already purchase Descent 2E. In which case there is still a small window of time that might be a worthwhile investment. That's a personal choice, though.

And those of us making content for it will still be taking it to gaming groups (eventually if we're not in lockdown forever- UK going into lockdown again soon, but needs must- wish this virus would retire :) )

10 hours ago, MulvaVandelay said:

It doesn't appear as if FFG/Asmodee is going to continue printing 2E. Anything else that is the contrary would be a very present suprise.

FFG have apparently confirmed that they will continue printing 2E:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2531169/article/36165250#36165250

On 11/1/2020 at 2:00 AM, MulvaVandelay said:

As for my opinion, I don't see how 2E could ever lose its shelf life. If you have the core game and a few expansions (some of which are still available) you have hours of tabletop co-op time. Add RtL with different characters and you can playtest strategies, and have a lot of fun as well. Valkyrie and other fan made content and you have hundreds of hours of game play. I'd be impressed with any gaming group of a few people that could get together regularly enough and play out the base game with a few additions in under a year. If you could, you have one impressive gaming group.

Tabletop games may go out of print- but they never expire. I have heard D2E being described by some as "dated". I don't agree. I don't consider Gloomhaven an improvement, nor anything else that is currently available. I think it would be pretty hard to make a board game obsolete. The only way this should affect you is if you didn't already purchase Descent 2E. In which case there is still a small window of time that might be a worthwhile investment. That's a personal choice, though.

I think I've found a perfect illustration of your point- possibly 000s of hours! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJOHoD7UR8M&t=165s

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
20 hours ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

I think I've found a perfect illustration of your point- possibly 000s of hours! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJOHoD7UR8M&t=165s

I did not see Bol'Goreth. Disappointing if it is not complete.