Keeping second edition's 'journeys' going....

By Watercolour Dragon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

As FFG aren't making any new second edition physical expansion content* I just wanted to say I will continue working on my new fan content for 2e regardless of the future of 'Descent' so there will still be quite a bit of new stuff for 2e from my projects as I will be continuing these whatever the future brings to the table, so no need to scrap your 2e collections if you're hungry for new stuff, 2e will remain very much alive. I'm sure other makers will continue with their own works in progress.

My 2e work in progress is as big as that big box of big boxiness, bigger in fact, so all in all with that too there's a lot of Terrinoth on the way for the next few years at least :)

I might even ultimately weave it into whatever's in that box so it works with or without whatever's in there, but it will still offer plenty of 2e-only/not needing the new stuff stuff :) , likewise some new stuff not needing the old stuff stuff once I know what we're getting thus what I have to work with (want to make sure my stuff covers all bases for what people do/don't own)

As my fan project overlaps 1e and some other Terrinoth game bits too (I'm working on potential solutions for people without 1e and the other bits, many of which like the big Battlelore minis are no longer available) it might be unique in bridging the game content like this.

* we don't know but there may still be new RTL app stuff, this is still a ? I think

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
October 2020 update

Thanks for posting and thanks to you and others who have labored and shared their work. My wife and I went all in with D2E about a year ago and still love playing it. We're on our third campaign in RTL and have one to go after that. The plan is to then make the move to fan made content such as Valkyrie and Automated overlord variants for the existing quests. We'll probably eventually end up getting the new Descent whatever it is, but have no plans to retiring D2E. I still think there is a market for more RTL campaigns (I know I'd buy them) but probably not too likely now given that FFG will want everyone to migrate to the new game.

Edited by NickelPlate
On 8/12/2020 at 5:19 PM, NickelPlate said:

I still think there is a market for more RTL campaigns

It's not Road to Legend so would be quite a different thing but having an interest in all round design, if only out of curiosity (I studied Multimedia and Communication Design at university and do photography/ montage design / a bit of music production and a few other things so creative things are very much me) I've dabbled a bit with trying RPG Maker- like I say it's very different to RTL, it's designed for the familiar style of computer game RPG's / adventures.

With thinking how I might make what I'm working on fit the different ways of play I've recently been wondering (but ultimately moving away from the integration idea) if I could fuse RPG Maker and the game components, either as two separate things that would work together or maybe fully integrated but the latter would need FFG's permission of course as although it's using the software a bit like the quest vault it's still going a bit beyond that and using it more like the app. (on the new big box entity if that had my dream of an app equivalent of the quest vault where you could design app adventures workshop style then wow but that's just me wishful thinking).

Trying out RPG Maker I did dabble with designing some scenes (totally unrelated to Descent/Terrinoth etc) and thinking about what adventures I could make with it so rather than a full overlap am mostly now thinking it could be a totally unique adventure outside of a Mennaran/Terrinoth setting just using the components, which is also a good way of saying to my typically creative brain "don't throw everything in the kitchen into one soup or its chef will have a heart attack and the diners will have indigestion :) " . That can be another meal altogether so I don't have the headache of adding it to a project that's already big enough! There's also the fact the look and vibe of RPG Maker wouldn't really fit too well, so again it would be better for something quite different. Plus of course using it for the current project would mean it would have to be designed for all the current project which would be a time and coding nightmare so note to brain: definitely no :) , for a new thing the board game part can be designed around the tech part. Finally there's no copyright to get permissions for with that option as there's not the direct overlap.

If I do do anything along these lines though it will be a long way beyond the current project and I don't know if I could actually do it as the code side of it's a steep learning curve- I managed to solve a few things I tried out but got stuck behind a few boulders when a boulder-moving puzzle didn't quite work as planned and there were certain points the moving boulders, erm, wouldn't move, or moved but not quite to where they were intended to move! Also I've only recently thought about the two together so I don't even know if there are things that would actually work, so I'm just keeping the idea in mind for the future.

Similarly I've recently been getting interested in 3d printing as I quite liked the idea of some of my adventures having some unique scenery/props, but like the above that may be one for the further future.

One tech addition that could come earlier is that I've explored mapmaking software so might be able to bring things like sand, ice and new locations to my fan adventures.

Regardless of tech solutions I'd like my content to have the solo play option as well as the others so there could end up being some sort of 'low tech or no tech' solution for solo play limited by what I can/can't work out/do.

I spent a bit of tonight looking for stock online. It's a nice idea but the game is basically an ebay game now.

Probably I'm going to have to move on, much as I love Descent and got back into it. Never ended up with a lot of the expansions, and FFG/Asmodee isn't strong enough to support this. It's all right, there are probably better alternatives out there, it'll just hurt because of nostalgia. But I don't want good money chasing after bad with where FFG seems to be about this and other games now.

On 8/16/2020 at 12:34 AM, KelRiever said:

I spent a bit of tonight looking for stock online. It's a nice idea but the game is basically an ebay game now.

Probably I'm going to have to move on, much as I love Descent and got back into it. Never ended up with a lot of the expansions, and FFG/Asmodee isn't strong enough to support this. It's all right, there are probably better alternatives out there, it'll just hurt because of nostalgia. But I don't want good money chasing after bad with where FFG seems to be about this and other games now.

There are a ton of those expansions out there. Hopefully the scalpers will move on and you'll be able to find slightly used copies when things cool down.

The first darkness is incoming :) so any thoughts on what a fan project could/should could/should not best do for second edition feel free to share

Edited by Watercolour Dragon

An idea I always had was something for RtL and was hoping FFG would integrated something like that into the game:

every character has a background story that can be triggered in a campaign. So if you choose 2/4 characters, there personal quest may pop up, but you have to choose wisely because choosing one eliminates the others. And every story has a benefit for the team if completed successfully.

so basically, there has to be 1 mission per character available. That is a lot to produce, but the replay-ability will be huge by it.

maybe you can implement this into your work or something. Goodluck and curious to see what you have up your sleeve!

cheers!

8 hours ago, TryFal said:

An idea I always had was something for RtL and was hoping FFG would integrated something like that into the game:

every character has a background story that can be triggered in a campaign. So if you choose 2/4 characters, there personal quest may pop up, but you have to choose wisely because choosing one eliminates the others. And every story has a benefit for the team if completed successfully.

so basically, there has to be 1 mission per character available. That is a lot to produce, but the replay-ability will be huge by it.

maybe you can implement this into your work or something. Goodluck and curious to see what you have up your sleeve!

cheers!

That's a really good idea ! Adding this on the classic game mode is esay, and should not be so hard it you know how to code. Some on BGG have opened that app so maybe they can help

But a rumor card on the classic play is easy to create ! What type on reward should it give ? A special weapon ? A unique class card ? A new hero sheet with new artwork, feat, and/or hero ability ?

In Runebound V3, Red Scorpion is in search for the Gilded Blade. This could be her special hero quest and if the party win the quest, they obtain it.

If played with an Overlord, must find a counterpart then

31 minutes ago, rugal said:

In Runebound V3, Red Scorpion is in search for the Gilded Blade. This could be her special hero quest and if the party win the quest, they obtain it.

If played with an Overlord, must find a counterpart then

Oh Red Scorpion ❤️ hero that did not make it from conversion kit 😢

en_red_scorpion_front.jpg?pub_secret=9bc0619968 en_red_scorpion_back.jpg?pub_secret=6b4668a0a7

Thx!
Well the rewards could be anything, from special items (scout type), big amounts of gold (dwarf types), Special weapon (warrior) to extra experience point (elf types). Standard more fatigue (all types), extra dice for magic attacks (mage) You name it! The more variety, the better of course. Intergrading it to the app is easy. With 1 to the rest, the OL needs the get a big advance if they fail (risk of choosing a character based quest).

2 minutes ago, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

Oh Red Scorpion ❤️ hero that did not make it from conversion kit 😢

en_red_scorpion_front.jpg?pub_secret=9bc0619968 en_red_scorpion_back.jpg?pub_secret=6b4668a0a7

Do not cry, as long as us fans are here, the game is still living ! What about Carthos and Brother Glyr and Varikas ?

1 hour ago, rugal said:

Do not cry, as long as us fans are here, the game is still living ! What about Carthos and Brother Glyr and Varikas ?

en_varikas_front.jpg?pub_secret=16a0cf3b68 en_varikas_back.jpg?pub_secret=4b73cccaf8
en_madcarthos_front.jpg?pub_secret=dd11265582 en_madcarthos_back.jpg?pub_secret=9d6235ba6e
en_glyr_front.jpg?pub_secret=f8c7292c7c en_glyr_back.jpg?pub_secret=bcd1f6339c

Photoshop template

I simply don't have Brother Glyr artwork in good enough quality 😕
photo.jpg

For Glyr, should be enough, and better than nothing !

13 minutes ago, rugal said:

For Glyr, should be enough, and better than nothing !

If you're planning to use the 1ed figure for Glyr, This artwork might fit.
It's probably easier to find in high res.

artwork from genesys

Edited by Dadler93

Upscale is online, the eyes and some other parts need some repairing. But is better that it was I think

0BFDF350-F893-4FCD-BB83-F7533C4ADDA4.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Dadler93 said:

If you're planning to use the 1ed figure for Glyr, This artwork might fit.
It's probably easier to find in high res.

artwork from genesys

Yeah, this works nicely

en_glyr_front.jpg?pub_secret=112ebdffbd en_glyr_back.jpg?pub_secret=c35b8d7d29

24 minutes ago, TryFal said:

Upscale is online, the eyes and some other parts need some repairing. But is better that it was I think

Well yeah, I can restore the artwork and paint the missing parts, like I did with the Ravvis for example, but it is quite a work and currently I don't want to bother with this, since I don't even have appropriate miniature.

But feel free to do so, you have photoshop templates in the post above :) .

2 hours ago, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

Yeah, this works nicely

en_glyr_front.jpg?pub_secret=112ebdffbd en_glyr_back.jpg?pub_secret=c35b8d7d29

Well yeah, I can restore the artwork and paint the missing parts, like I did with the Ravvis for example, but it is quite a work and currently I don't want to bother with this, since I don't even have appropriate miniature.

But feel free to do so, you have photoshop templates in the post above :) .

I have made one through hero forge. Wanna see ?

Good idea but I like more the official artwork

Yep the original looks IMO better. Shame I don’t have the time to work on this. It’s been a while since I used blender, or else I could try to model Glyr and make a STL file out of him. Maybe in the beginning of next year I have some spare time to try this.

photoshop Is currently not in my software packages 😋 or else the fix up would be easy to do. Well it could be interesting to model those 4 missing models so us diehard fans can get them printed. If FFG plans to let this version die, then we’ll have to pick up where they left ^^

2 hours ago, TryFal said:

Yep the original looks IMO better. Shame I don’t have the time to work on this. It’s been a while since I used blender, or else I could try to model Glyr and make a STL file out of him. Maybe in the beginning of next year I have some spare time to try this.

photoshop Is currently not in my software packages 😋 or else the fix up would be easy to do. Well it could be interesting to model those 4 missing models so us diehard fans can get them printed. If FFG plans to let this version die, then we’ll have to pick up where they left ^^

Would be awesome ! !!

12 hours ago, TryFal said:

Thx!
Well the rewards could be anything, from special items (scout type), big amounts of gold (dwarf types), Special weapon (warrior) to extra experience point (elf types). Standard more fatigue (all types), extra dice for magic attacks (mage) You name it! The more variety, the better of course. Intergrading it to the app is easy. With 1 to the rest, the OL needs the get a big advance if they fail (risk of choosing a character based quest).

I was thinking of this idea, and it would need to create almost 90 quests ! (And that's some work, but I really like the idea !)

Maybe doing the same with classes would need less work (24 standards classes, 12 hybrids)

Mind to give some help ?

That’s briljant! That way you’re not bound to just the core set. By making quest for the class itself you can add the expansion that provides the class 👍🏻 .

yea I like to give some input about stories. I’ll get some ideas on paper this week and PM them to you 👊🏻

In fact, creating around 80 quest would be roo much but I was thinikng of another idea : each hero could have a personnal task and if he manages to do it, then he has acces to vis personnal reward.

Just as an exemple, could be for Avric if he raise each hero once or more during an encounter, he can have acces to his special power Who would be that each time he uses his feat, surge would give back fatigue too

Aaah yes achievements! Not sure about that, then the overlord need to get them to of course. But it’s just an extra for gameplay, but no extra missions :(.

We could first start with the first 24 standard classes. After that the hybrids. 24 is a lot of work but manageable.

it would be cool if they eventually can be intergraded in the app as a solo quest or something. For the people that play alone and just want to do a single quest

Is Second Edition fully retired ? No more reprints ? Haven't seen anything on that yet as a confirmed answer. I still need to see more but as of now, 2nd ED is still king for me !