Small Ships Docking (Gozanti etc)

By skyblack86, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Hi there,

I've been trying to find out more on the official docking rules for 'small ships' that can be docked with various bigger ships in x-wing 2.0. (Mainly the Gozanti, but would love a full list... Noticed the Imperial Raider can now too?).

What small ships can be docked or can any small ship be docked? (1.0 seemed to specify tie fighter types but also that they had to be 4 of the same).

Can't seem to find the info anywhere :( would like to see the official word on this.

IIRC on the gozantiy, tie fighters, bombers and intereceptors can be docked.. That's it.

@skyblack86 There isn't any limitation in Second Edition on which small ships can or cannot dock with Assault Carriers (the Gozantis) nor Corvus titled Raiders.

22 minutes ago, LTuser said:

IIRC on the gozantiy, tie fighters, bombers and intereceptors can be docked.. That's it.

Not in 2.0. Any small ship is valid in 2.0 and they're no longer limited to being the same type.

First Order Sympathizers Outer Rim Garrison

The Corvus title for the Raider also doesn't specify ship type:

latest?cb=20190807204606

And there are no such stipulations in the Huge ship docking rules (RR page 35)

"DOCKING WITH HUGE SHIPS
Some upgrades allow standard ships to dock with huge ships. While a docked
ship deploys, it may execute its maneuver from the front or rear guides, or by
aligning the center of its maneuver template to the huge ship’s center line.
During the System Phase, any number of ships docked to a huge ship may
deploy from it. If a ship cannot be placed while being deployed, it is destroyed.
During the System Phase, one or more standard ships may dock with a huge
ship carrier at range 0–1."

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/67/8a/678a909e-bd3b-4c21-9978-4218a253d07d/b_swzrulesreference_v110_-compressed.pdf

Edited by Hiemfire

Also look on page 10 of the Rules Reference (v1.1.0) under Dock for general rules about dock and deploy in 2e. That section opens with a line about how some abilities grant the ability to dock.

Two other ships I can recall have the ability to dock through an ability granted by their title are the Ghost title which allows you to dock a single Attack or Sheathipede shuttle and the Lando's Millennium Falcon title which allows you to dock one Escape Craft.

340?cb=20180731225922

340?cb=20180625161953

The only other docking ship I can think of (so far) is the YV-666, who can take a Z-95 along for the ride... which (more often than not) is the extremely cost-effective Nashtah Pup.

latest?cb=20180915002928 . 300?cb=20180914123816

IIRC, there's some other huge ship titles that allow docking (such as the Corvus linked above, and the Liberator ), but I don't have an exhaustive list.

Edited by emeraldbeacon
14 hours ago, nitrobenz said:

340?cb=20180625161953

I with that FFG would create a generic title that would allow Escape Craft docking with out the extra abilities.

3 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

I with that FFG would create a generic title that would allow Escape Craft docking with out the extra abilities.

Why? The title is only 3 points (currently), which is pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things, so not sure what you'd expect to gain by dumping the abilities.

1 minute ago, Lyianx said:

Why? The title is only 3 points (currently), which is pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things, so not sure what you'd expect to gain by dumping the abilities.

Honestly, I thought it was 4 points, so there is some error in my thinking there. But the main reason is that I would like the ability to run more than one YT-1300 with an Escape Craft docked. Even without the shield siphon and the stress +1 attack, a Falcon would gain the pilot ability of the docked craft which might be worth taking, or at least playing around with.

4 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

I would like the ability to run more than one YT-1300 with an Escape Craft docked.

Do.. you mean more than one 1300 with one of them having an escape craft docked? Because you cant run two 1300s with both of them having a craft docked, as its the title card that allows the docking..which is limited to one per squad.

7 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

Honestly, I thought it was 4 points, so there is some error in my thinking there. But the main reason is that I would like the ability to run more than one YT-1300 with an Escape Craft docked. Even without the shield siphon and the stress +1 attack, a Falcon would gain the pilot ability of the docked craft which might be worth taking, or at least playing around with.

Or skipping the pilot ability and just having the shield sharing.

1 minute ago, Lyianx said:

Do.. you mean more than one 1300 with one of them having an escape craft docked? Because you cant run two 1300s with both of them having a craft docked, as its the title card that allows the docking..which is limited to one per squad.

10 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

As @Hiemfire just pointed out, yes, I want the capability to dock more than one Escape craft. That was the whole point.

I always felt like the escape craft was kind of a custom thing, that Lando had specially made for his precious Falcon... before Han went and wrecked the dang thing. Hence, the unique nature of the docked ship.

3 minutes ago, emeraldbeacon said:

I always felt like the escape craft was kind of a custom thing, that Lando had specially made for his precious Falcon... before Han went and wrecked the dang thing. Hence, the unique nature of the docked ship.

Except Canon wise it isn't. The YT-Dart, what FFG calls the Escape Craft, is a cargo tug designed to dock with the YT-1300 series freighters in their "mandibles" as something the YT-1300 could carry from port to port to assist with transferring cargo.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/YT_Dart

Lando modified his YT-Dart a bit.

4 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Except Canon wise it isn't. The YT-Dart, what FFG calls the Escape Craft, is a cargo tug designed to dock with the YT-1300 series freighters in their "mandibles" as something the YT-1300 could carry from port to port to assist with transferring cargo.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/YT_Dart

Lando modified his YT-Dart a bit.

tenor.gif?itemid=10358303

2 hours ago, emeraldbeacon said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10358303

Don't feel bad. Yet another "added after the fact to make it relevant" information that's VERY easy to miss (seems to only be referenced in a couple 'tech manual' books). I get why they do that, elaborating more on an offhand line said in a movie, but its still kind of annoying when they do once something is established. In the movie he only said "installed an escape pod in the mandible notch" (which by the way, has no weapons to speak of).

In any case, it wouldn't be appropriate to make a "generic title", it wouldn't be a title then. Makes more sense as a 'Configuration'.

5 hours ago, Lyianx said:

In any case, it wouldn't be appropriate to make a "generic title", it wouldn't be a title then. Makes more sense as a 'Configuration'.

A config that removes the title slot would work too of they ever decide to release generic tugs.

3 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

A config that removes the title slot would work too of they ever decide to release generic tugs.

The only issue with that.. which i just thought about.. How would it interact with L3-37 when she flipped?

1 hour ago, Lyianx said:

The only issue with that.. which i just thought about.. How would it interact with L3-37 when she flipped?

It would theoretically mean the ship would have two configurations. I don't think this would be a problem, though, since having a configuration upgrade without a configuration slot hasn't been an issue thus far; having two configurations at once should also be fine.

As for the argument that, with a configuration slot, you could directly equip L3-37's Programming... that's rendered moot by the fact that the card as a whole has explicit instructions to equip it crew-side up during setup. You can't ignore that game text on the card.

latest?cb=20180625155011 - latest?cb=20180625155843

14 hours ago, Lyianx said:

While I agree that it would be weird to have a generic "title", we have first edition precedent for that in the TIE/x1, TIE/v1, A-Wing Test Pilot, Heavy and Light Scyk, et cetera. The configuration makes more sense, but I thought the title would keep away folks that would take the title and config and say that they can dock two Escape Crafts. You'd need to use exclusionary text on the config that either says that you may only dock 1 Escape Craft or that you cannot equip the title with the config.

Another alternative would be to have another unique title that allowed docking an Escape Craft. You could at least run two then.

we have first edition precedent for that in the TIE/x1, TIE/v1, A-Wing Test Pilot, Heavy and Light Scyk, et cetera

First edition precedents dont mean anything for 2nd edition. Also, the non-unique titles that existed in first edition (which, by the way, were just 'band-aid' patches to try to bring those ships back into the meta) were directly replaced by built in ship abilities and configurations.

but I thought the title would keep away folks that would take the title and config and say that they can dock two Escape Crafts.

But, they couldnt. because Lando's title specifically says...

"1 Escape Craft may dock with you."

One, and Only one escape craft may dock with you. It has a built in limit, so the config allowing it shouldn't be an issue. Even if the text is repeated, it still a limit of 1 escape craft. I wouldnt see it as "1 + 1 escape craft", but perhaps thats just my interpretation? So im not sure you would need an exclusion text, as (in my view) its already included in the title.

Another alternative would be to have another unique title that allowed docking an Escape Craft. You could at least run two then.

I'd be down with this actually, so long as the title isnt Scum restricted.

How about the title "Sabra"? It was the YT-1300 flown primarily by Ace Azzameen (then later by his sister Aeron) in X-wing Alliance. Issue with that of course, is it never docked one of those craft so it would feel out of place, but again this craft was made up for the movie so who knows what other 1300's actually used it at this point.

Course, if they do that, they'd have to address the YT-2000 ( Otana) .. oh darn. :P (id personally love to see more X-wing Alliance content added to the game)

50 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

But, they couldnt. because Lando's title specifically says...

"1 Escape Craft may dock with you."

One, and Only one escape craft may dock with you. It has a built in limit, so the config allowing it shouldn't be an issue. Even if the text is repeated, it still a limit of 1 escape craft. I wouldnt see it as "1 + 1 escape craft", but perhaps thats just my interpretation? So im not sure you would need an exclusion text, as (in my view) its already included in the title.

You 100% know that because it doesn't say "only one" people would argue that they could take two.

43 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

You 100% know that because it doesn't say "only one" people would argue that they could take two.

If the configuration said 'you may dock up to one Escape Craft' would that be tight enough? That would be language in line with other limiters.

Edited by nitrobenz
finished my thought
38 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

If the configuration said 'you may dock up to one Escape Craft' would that be tight enough? That would be language in line with other limiters.

Yup. That would be prohibitive enough. Put that on the config, and there could be no honest dispute.

I honestly would like to see another title that allowed a barrel roll like Han did when he slapped the TIE Brute. Title adds red barrel roll, and after you perform a barrel roll you may choose a ship at range 1, and that ship gains a strain. Adds some fun maneuverability, and it would help with the damage output of the Scum YT-1300, too.

Edited by 5050Saint
6 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

I honestly would like to see another title that allowed a barrel roll like Han did when he slapped the TIE Brute...

I remember speculation topics where people proposed a barrel roll smack ability for the Falcon around the time the movie came out. My favorite idea was performing a barrel roll and if you would overlap a ship with a smaller base size you take a damage and that ship must barrel roll(not action) away from you and take a damage then you complete the barrel roll. (or something like that)