Small Ships Docking (Gozanti etc)

By skyblack86, in X-Wing Rules Questions

8 hours ago, nitrobenz said:

I remember speculation topics where people proposed a barrel roll smack ability for the Falcon around the time the movie came out. My favorite idea was performing a barrel roll and if you would overlap a ship with a smaller base size you take a damage and that ship must barrel roll(not action) away from you and take a damage then you complete the barrel roll. (or something like that)

That seems way over complicated and a confusing mechanic to try to work out in the middle of a game. Glad they didnt go that route lol.

16 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

You 100% know that because it doesn't say "only one" people would argue that they could take two.

Maybe so, but all other language that allows more than one specifically states "up to". So they could argue it, but the fact that other examples already exist to counter it means their argument would be moot. Other mechanics also make specific language to allow for multiples of something.

"up to", "1 or more", "all", ect..

Still, im sure people would fruitlessly argue it. We did that that stupid "nothing of something is still all of something" crap before.

15 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

I honestly would like to see another title that allowed a barrel roll like Han did when he slapped the TIE Brute.

For one, he didnt slap the Brute, it was a normal Tie L/N, but thats besides the point.

Don't think id like the 1300 being allowed to barrel roll. And really, (like i argued with Anikin in the N-1), he didnt 'barrel roll'. He just rolled, but i get that game mechanically, they are treated the same. If the ship couldn't already boost, that'd be one thing, but allowing it to roll, no matter the consequence, i think gives it too much. Not to mention that, with your suggestion, adding a red barrel roll puts it in a position to add Expert Handling to give it a White barrel roll, which would be FAR too powerful for that ship. Expert Handling + Engine Upgrade = Highly maneuverable YT-1300.

2 hours ago, Lyianx said:

Not to mention that, with your suggestion, adding a red barrel roll puts it in a position to add Expert Handling to give it a White barrel roll, which would be FAR too powerful for that ship. Expert Handling + Engine Upgrade = Highly maneuverable YT-1300.

I'm not convinced that it would be good even with all that maneuverability. 2 die shots just don't do damage when not massed. For all their maneuverability, Kylo and Soontir wouldn't be worth worry if they only had 2 die primaries. Large base 2 die turrets just don't hurt. Which is why I proposed the giving a strain.

Certainly you could take Engine Upgrade + Expert Handling + Title, but if the new title would cost the same as Lando's, you'd be forking over 14 points. Putting 14 points into a ship better make it good, and I'm still not certain that it would. Without the strain, you'd still only be outputting 2-3 unmodified dice if you barrel rolled, which ain't great.

3 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

I'm not convinced that it would be good even with all that maneuverability. 2 die shots just don't do damage when not massed. For all their maneuverability, Kylo and Soontir wouldn't be worth worry if they only had 2 die primaries. Large base 2 die turrets just don't hurt. Which is why I proposed the giving a strain.

Certainly you could take Engine Upgrade + Expert Handling + Title, but if the new title would cost the same as Lando's, you'd be forking over 14 points. Putting 14 points into a ship better make it good, and I'm still not certain that it would. Without the strain, you'd still only be outputting 2-3 unmodified dice if you barrel rolled, which ain't great.

I think you are underestimating how big of a deal a large ship being able to barrel roll is. To my knowledge, only 2 large ships have this ability. The YT-2400 (which is one of its key features) and the JM5K.

There is also pilot ability to consider. Lets assume the two main pilots you'd use with this are Han and Lando.

Han : While you defend or perform a primary attack, if the attack is obstructed by an obstacle, you may roll 1 additional die.
Lando : After you roll dice, if you are not stressed, you may gain 1 stress token to reroll all of your blank results.

So with Han, typically, you'd pair him up with Trick Shot. Even a red barrel roll for him (along with his boost) and trick shot could almost guarantee him a 4 dice attack die roll. Especially if he has Qi'ra along to help him fly over obstacles.

Lando, while not rolling as many, has better odds of landing hits, so taking Expert Handling for him means he could B-roll and have the option to reroll if needed, also putting him in the position to get range 1 shots as much as possible.

Like said.. a B-rolling 1300 would be pretty powerful.

3 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

Like said.. a B-rolling 1300 would be pretty powerful.

I'm still going to put a strong doubt on that. It would be good, but "pretty powerful" doesn't sound right. Han + Qi'ra + Trick Shot + Engine + Title would also be paying 16 points at that point. His problem since launch has been leveraging his ability, and giving him a title that actually allows him to do that more than two to three times game can't be OP, right? It's easier to get a four die modded attack from an X-wing than it is from Han.

And if it is pretty powerful, great! The Scum Falcon has pretty much DOA. Make Han an actual ace, and then you can drop Boba and/or Fenn out of hyperspace for a change. It'a beautiful ship that doesn't see a ton of game time as it is rather lackluster.

On 8/13/2020 at 2:50 AM, nitrobenz said:

I remember speculation topics where people proposed a barrel roll smack ability for the Falcon around the time the movie came out. My favorite idea was performing a barrel roll and if you would overlap a ship with a smaller base size you take a damage and that ship must barrel roll(not action) away from you and take a damage then you complete the barrel roll. (or something like that)

That ability would be problematic as well, when the small ship has no legal position for the forced barrel roll available (i.e. there is (/are) another ship(s), an obstacle or the board edge blocking the smack forced barrel roll's final position possibilities), thus it cannot roll - what would you do then...probably the YT roll would fail, or there would need to be another rule stating the YT smack forced rolling of a small onto an obstacle is allowed, complicating it even further, allowing for obstacles, still failing for ships and board edge.

A bit too complicated.

40 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

A bit too complicated.

Speculation/homebrew threads can get pretty out there

To be clear, I'm not putting that idea forward as a complete one, just a general outline of something I saw years ago that made me go, "huh, neat". There was definitely language in the idea I'm recalling to the effect of the ship getting smacked hits an obstacle if available. It was after all based on that scene in the movie where that is exactly what happens.

Edited by nitrobenz
finished my thought
10 hours ago, Managarmr said:

A bit too complicated.

Yeah, that's why I went with the "a ship at range one gains a stress token". It doesn't do auto-damage which is an NPE in my opinion, but it does apply a negative token to help with the 2-die turret's damage output.

13 hours ago, Managarmr said:

That ability would be problematic as well, when the small ship has no legal position for the forced barrel roll available (i.e. there is (/are) another ship(s), an obstacle or the board edge blocking the smack forced barrel roll's final position possibilities), thus it cannot roll - what would you do then...probably the YT roll would fail, or there would need to be another rule stating the YT smack forced rolling of a small onto an obstacle is allowed, complicating it even further, allowing for obstacles, still failing for ships and board edge.

A bit too complicated.

Well, bashing a car into a wall, is an often used tactic in car chases in a # of films, so maybe the YT can do the similar.. Barrel roll into a fighter, to force IT into something else, to possibly damage Both...

20 hours ago, LTuser said:

Well, bashing a car into a wall, is an often used tactic in car chases in a # of films, so maybe the YT can do the similar.. Barrel roll into a fighter, to force IT into something else, to possibly damage Both...

Films are different. I mean, In the Solo film, Han does exactly that. He spins, hits the Tie, and it flys into a rock. But mechanically gameplay wise, that isnt possible without specific wording, and having to deal with paragraphs of text to explain one ability is rather annoying and cumbersome. (looking at you MTG)

I know this is a little off topic but, can someone post some picture of the docking clamps used on the Gozanti-class cruiser miniature. I need to print some since the one i bought didn't come with any. I figured you all had some handy since you were talking bout them. Thanks in advance.