From 3D model design to Table ready... (cloud Car files release)

By DL-44, in Terrain Building

Here is my 3D model version of Bespin cloud car.

Designed with Tinkercad (imported to blender for better texture display purpose)

Requires assembly Total parts: 8

The stormtrooper is a skullforge studio model I use for scaling reference

SexrAZb.png

cN3fPcA.png

Edited by DL-44

And the Model printed at 0.2

rC9Bw2U.jpg

2Lz43Vs.jpg

Design is still under improvement ( I might also print it to a lower resolution to reduce printing lines on "flat curved" surfaces)

Nice work! Can you mount it on a flying stand as a T-47 analog? Or is strictly for scenery?

10 hours ago, SFC Snuffy said:

Nice work! Can you mount it on a flying stand as a T-47 analog? Or is strictly for scenery?

So I put a magnet on the underside of my T-47, on the base, and on both sides of the clear plastic bit, to make the T-47 easier to transport. If it doesn't have a slot for the stand to fit in, that could always be an option.

15 hours ago, SFC Snuffy said:

Its mainly for scenery, but I can modify to make a flying version

i can for example make a version with a 6mm hole under the Engine in order to insert a 6mm transparent Acrylic rod

and same for base side.

Also design landing gear "flaps" (so you can use on ground with gears or on flying mode with flaps)

What is the diameter for T47 base, 100mm?

1 hour ago, DL-44 said:

Its mainly for scenery, but I can modify to make a flying version

i can for example make a version with a 6mm hole under the Engine in order to insert a 6mm transparent Acrylic rod

and same for base side.

Also design landing gear "flaps" (so you can use on ground with gears or on flying mode with flaps)

What is the diameter for T47 base, 100mm?

Yes, it's on the 100mm base with movement tool notches.

Some attempt for a flying version (light blue rod stands for acrylic rod 6mm)

However I wonder about model stability

wEoJERi.png

The 100mm base is from thingiverse, just need to verify if the notch fits well

Et Voila

The 100mm base notch was too tight, so I redesign the whole part and add a 6.5mm hole

I did extrude a 6.5mm hole in the engine part (however I did a mistake and off center by maybe 1mm)

This why there is a noticeable tilt

As I dont have acrylic rod yet, I did print a 6mm one with grey PLA

UERQ3ur.jpg

Is that the same base as the T-47? If so then dayumm that Cloud Car is thicccc.

1 hour ago, Crawfskeezen said:

Is that the same base as the T-47? If so then dayumm that Cloud Car is thicccc.

Yes base is 100mm diameter

the only dimension I could find for cloud car is the lenght (7m)

So I scale at 1/48 wich gives 14.5cm lenght for the model

total dimension are as follow (without landing gear)

L: 14.5cm W: 15.2cm H: 6.2cm

Another on going project

A small desert outpost designed with tinkercad

The radar dish is a modified model from Thingiverse

yJLmO4P.png

gX4eMtu.png

RbPn6Hg.png

If you looking for feedback, I have some, but if not, go tell me to take a long walk off a short plant on a desert skiff into a sarlaac pit.

The tower for the turret stands out a LOT compared to the building. The tower has a lot of details up and down the sides, but the building is very smooth. So it looks a little out of place to me. Unless the idea is that this house already existed, and then a military force confiscated the property, and dropped the turret on the roof of the house, at which point I'd suggest some further separation to indicate that these were 2 different objects. Could be a small brim around the perimeter of the turret with some bolts in it, to indicate the tower was placed on top of the building, and then bolted down.

With all of that said, the building, and the turret both look great, it's more the merging of the two that seems a little off to me.

Again, these were just some first impressions, and feel free to tell me to buzz off with them if you like.

Edited by oreet
15 minutes ago, oreet said:

If you looking for feedback, I have some, but if not, go tell me to take a long walk off a short plant on a desert skiff into a sarlaac pit.

The tower for the turret stands out a LOT compared to the building. The tower has a lot of details up and down the sides, but the building is very smooth. So it looks a little out of place to me. Unless the idea is that this house already existed, and then a military force confiscated the property, and dropped the turret on the roof of the house, at which point I'd suggest some further separation to indicate that these were 2 different objects. Could be a small brim around the perimeter of the turret with some bolts in it, to indicate the tower was placed on top of the building, and then bolted down.

With all of that said, the building, and the turret both look great, it's more the merging of the two that seems a little off to me.

Again, these were just some first impressions, and feel free to tell me to buzz off with them if you like.

i am always ok with feedback, positive or negative no problem

My intent was kind of civilian tatooine building modified to accept a laser tower

I understand your point (especially as I spent a lot of time for turret design, and really much less for the rest of the building)

Maybe I could add a bolted platform for the tower as you mention (the building roof and the turret are actually separated parts, so I can still design and print an interface in between)

Parts printing is on going so will see how does it stands in "real life"

Elevation seems built in, but does the laser tower traverse, i.e. move left and right? While it's not impossible to imagine a situation where a weapon is built in-place to only fire at a single spot/target, it seems of limited utility in the SW universe, where even moisture farmers have fast landspeeders. I'd suggest adding a seam that would allow the cannon mount and top of the tower to swing left and right.

4 hours ago, SFC Snuffy said:

Elevation seems built in, but does the laser tower traverse, i.e. move left and right? While it's not impossible to imagine a situation where a weapon is built in-place to only fire at a single spot/target, it seems of limited utility in the SW universe, where even moisture farmers have fast landspeeders. I'd suggest adding a seam that would allow the cannon mount and top of the tower to swing left and right.

The upper section of the tower can rotate 360deg, but the gun barrel is fixed (no Up/Dwn motion)

It might be possible to give up/Down motion, but I think the parts will be more complex to design and print

9m2KtcD.png

Edited by DL-44

I don't think it's necessary to give the model an elevation adjustment, simply because there's one implied in the design. I didn't understand that you had a traverse/rotation built into the model, which is why I asked. I really like what you're doing so far; can't wait to see more!

Thank you

I plan to do more terrain, I think desert theme got already a lot of 3D files availables, so I will try to find a different environnement for next one(s).

Any idea or suggestion is welcome

Here is the finished prints on the desert outpost

I decide to try magnetized doors instead of slotted ones, just giving a try (waiting for magnets)

The gun barrel peg was a bit too small so I did glue it to the upper tower (will have to modify the file)

Roofs are removable and everything is printed at 0.2 with a very few supports (looks like I start to get under extrusion on the main door)

crates are from thingiverse files

Hope you like it

jegqjou.jpg qpOpcVm.jpg VskwwxZ.jpg p5sLi6h.jpg WEWLG8z.jpg

Sorry I'm a little late to the party here. @DL-44 where did you get those files? Esp the cloud car. That's a bit nicer than the stuff I've found. Thanks!

21 hours ago, thestag said:

Sorry I'm a little late to the party here. @DL-44 where did you get those files? Esp the cloud car. That's a bit nicer than the stuff I've found. Thanks!

I did them, the only thingh I didn't create is the radar dish on the desert outpost

30 minutes ago, DL-44 said:

I did them, the only thingh I didn't create is the radar dish on the desert outpost

Thanks! Are they hosted anywhere? I'd love to get my hands on those to print myself.

17 minutes ago, thestag said:

Thanks! Are they hosted anywhere? I'd love to get my hands on those to print myself.

not yet

I am currently on business trip since several weeks

I still have some improvement (supportless printing and assembly stuff) to make and then I think I will submit on thingiverse

I will let you know via this post thingiverse Link when ready

6 hours ago, DL-44 said:

Here is the cloud car Stl files

Have Happy printing and assembly time

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7onhwr116fstazb/AACbWJ6FM1s94nyLUNUkW8j_a?dl=0

Awesome! I'm going to see about printing that this week. I might push the envelope by printing at .1mm on my Prusa Mini. I'll post pics if I'm able to get it done. Thanks!