What's coming next? (Huge Ship Edition)

By FTS Gecko, in X-Wing Epic Play

23 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Personally, I still want to see the Nebulon B at the CR-90/Raider's sliding scale.

That ship blew me away as small child back then, I was awed.

@weisguy119 has fielded one:

Really cinematic, but the financial risk would probably be high for FFG. Such a large model is really expensive, so something more for the collectors. Not that many people have both the money for this big beauty and the time to play lengthy awesome battles.

The Epic/Huge ships already move slow and take up shelf space for long periods at the (F)LGs. So the smaller shops will also be reluctant to take in any of these without preorder by costumers.

30 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

That ship blew me away as small child back then, I was awed.

@weisguy119 has fielded one...

...so have I! ๐Ÿ˜€

Rebel-Fleet_zpszztkhyz3.jpg

32 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

Really cinematic, but the financial risk would probably be high for FFG. Such a large model is really expensive, so something more for the collectors. Not that many people have both the money for this big beauty and the time to play lengthy awesome battles...

That's Mel's Neb at the same scale as the CR-90.

...I don't buy this argument for one second, considering how quickly the SSD for Armada sold out. And Armada doesn't have the fan base X-Wing does. The Nebulon B has an advantage over the SSD in the packaging /storage department as well as it could potentially be shipped in three seperate pieces - the front section, the docking spa and the engines, then assembled for game purposes.

Plus, if the Space Rocks sage proved anything, it's that Star Wars fans love their replica models and have money to spend on them!

What I would say is that the other factions deserve a bit of representation first. There's plenty of options for Republic ships (as seen above). Reisistance / First Order? A bit more difficult really, since the sequels decided to go "Star-Wars-But-Bigger" for the first two films, or simply go all aboard the nostalgiawagon with TRoS.

There is of course the option of the First Order's Atmospheric Assault Lander troop transport and the U-55 Orbital Loadlifter for the Resistance. Both are definitely small enough to be suitable for standard play, but may be better suited to Epic play for missions / objective roles. Not all Epic ships need to be Huge ships!

Nice pic!

45 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

...I don't buy this argument for one second, considering how quickly the SSD for Armada sold out. And Armada doesn't have the fan base X-Wing does. (...)

Plus if the Space Rocks sage proved anything, it's that Star Wars fans love their replica models and have money to spend on them!

Did not follow that closely, however noticed that one of the shops in the capital had one for an extended time period. Still see a lot of unsold C-Rocs as well.

And in pandemic times, money is more tight and leisure small (Huge ;) ) spaceships might not be first priority. But who knows, maybe Nebulons would go like butter on a hot summer day.

The Nebulon B has an advantage over the SSD in the packaging /storage department as well as it could potentially be shipped in three seperate pieces - the front section, the docking spa and the engines, then assembled for game purposes.

Nice idea, true.

. the docking spa

Complete with jacuzzi :P

Edited by Managarmr
While shortening quotes hitting the post button early. These forums and the layout on mobile kill me.
11 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

๐Ÿ˜€ There is of course the option of the First Order's Atmospheric Assault Lander troop transport and the U-55 Orbital Loadlifter for the Resistance. Both are definitely small enough to be suitable for standard play, but may be better suited to Epic play for missions / objective roles. Not all Epic ships need to be Huge ships!

I'm going to agree and disagree with you there.

I too would like those ships to be accessible to those that want them, but not epic only. The AAL is essentially a LAAT, and the U-55 is just a bigger ResTransport. If we took your argument to its logical conclusion then many ships that are already in standard(or soon to be) would have to be backed out and sent to epic only. Ghost, Lambda, Upsilon, Resistance transport, U-wing, Xi-class, Tie Reaper, and maybe a few more all do make great objective play pieces. Some arguably doing better at that then they do at standard anyway. And yet they're all standard legal.

IMHO, that's one of the things that makes the huge/regular or epic/standard divide great: they naturally blend. It's quite ridiculous to produce a ship or game object that would fit in your standard play game space, then not allow it said standard play. (Looking at you, stupid sexy Hyperspace rings) Like, if it's just going to be Epic only and not fittingly epic scaled, then just make me a token and save some room in my box, and money at the register if it's that big. Heck the rings could have been marked with a epic only condition token for all the good they do to a standard only player. And the epic play box has a token you could use for the static ring already making the model, frankly, redundant.

Consider, the ongoing background chant on the forums is 'what's the next huge?'. Not 'what's the next smol/med/largo epic only thing'. ๐Ÿค”

9 minutes ago, ForceSensitive said:

I'm going to agree and disagree with you there.

Oh good! Always up for a bit of back and forth! ๐Ÿ˜‚

10 minutes ago, ForceSensitive said:

I too would like those ships to be accessible to those that want them, but not epic only. The AAL is essentially a LAAT, and the U-55 is just a bigger ResTransport. If we took your argument to its logical conclusion then many ships that are already in standard(or soon to be) would have to be backed out and sent to epic only. Ghost, Lambda, Upsilon, Resistance transport, U-wing, Xi-class, Tie Reaper, and maybe a few more all do make great objective play pieces. Some arguably doing better at that then they do at standard anyway. And yet they're all standard legal.

tenor.gif

No one said " epic only " - in fact, I specifically said that they were small enough for use in standard play. What I did say is that they might be better suited to be used thematically. The idea was that if that introducing them could be done in a way that adds value to both formats, in more productive manner than the "here's a Huge ship - also contains a card that's awesome in standard!" method from first. Instead of having a standard 2nd edition expansion, you could have one which also includes rules, abilities and scenarios that can be used in Epic play.

Also, "backing existing ships out of standard play" wouldn't be a logic/al conclusion, but more of a logical leap . Does a Lambda shuttle make a really good target for an Epic scenario? Sure it does! Can anyone say Tyderium ? But there's no reason giving a Lambda re-release an epic scenario or two as well as the standard content should mean it becomes a specific format only.

30 minutes ago, ForceSensitive said:

IMHO, that's one of the things that makes the huge/regular or epic/standard divide great: they naturally blend. It's quite ridiculous to produce a ship or game object that would fit in your standard play game space, then not allow it said standard play. (Looking at you, stupid sexy Hyperspace rings) Like, if it's just going to be Epic only and not fittingly epic scaled, then just make me a token and save some room in my box, and money at the register if it's that big. Heck the rings could have been marked with a epic only condition token for all the good they do to a standard only player. And the epic play box has a token you could use for the static ring already making the model, frankly, redundant.

Look, you're talking about a divide here, between Epic and Standard. That's pretty much a mindset rather than a rule. Which is more ridiculous? Having components in a standard expansion that add value to Epic play, or forcing standard players with no interest in Epic format to buy a Huge ship so they can use a card they can't get anywhere else? I'm gong to give credit to FG for the Hyperspace ring; it's a sweet looking mode, and it provides value to players interested in more than one style of play. If FFG is going to grow Epic format - and they should, it's a **** of a lot of fun and at the end of the day leads players to getting bigger collections - then they're going to have to bridge the divide you're talking about somehow, and one way to do that is to bring components into expansions that cn be used in different formats.

@FTS Gecko a few points of order before we continue here. I feel like there may be some misunderstandings and let's knock those out first. For ease, I'll go in order of your reply.

First, if that line was all it took to get a more jovial conversation going, I need to find more like it! lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ cheers!

So in your original post I cited you seemed to conclude with the very clear cut position that you wanted the ships made but listed as epic only. As in, not have standard content. For reference to where I interpreted that from it was on how you concluded "not all epic ships need to be huge". Which was odd because all ships regardless are Epic ready anyway, but not all epic only ones are standard ready. Since the rules(i.e. ships, upgrades, core) do not assign any Epic rules innately to the game objects such as scenario only interactions and the like. The epic mission rules do that. Hence why I believed it was ironically yourself making the logic leap backwards that the production of these future expansions should have epic play only content, and why I wanted to show that as I interpreted it, it was your position then these others didn't make sense either.

Like bro, don't get it twisted, we'd both like more scenarios and setups for Epic games that might call for a specific ship or something. I wasn't trying to preclude the notion of such releases. Even packed into normal expansions from time to time where appropriate, I'm all for that, always was. ๐Ÿ˜

Anyway, nuts and bolts here, was it your position that the two ships there should be produced with/as epic only material? If not then we successfully just talked past each other ๐Ÿ˜… THEN we can move on lol

1 hour ago, ForceSensitive said:

@FTS Gecko a Gecko, nuts and bolts here, was it your position that the two ships there should be produced with/as epic only material? If not then we successfully just talked past each other ๐Ÿ˜… THEN we can move on lol

Definitely not produced as Epic only, but definitely with Epic missions and scenarios in mind.

One of the historical barriers to Epic play is price point - let's face it, Huge ships cost a lot of money compared to their standard play cousins, and see the ta or a lot less. I'm of the opinion that smaller sized ships could be released with content that nudges players in the direction of Epic play, allowing players to enjoy different styles of play with a lower price entry point.

That doesn't mean that they should be excluded from standard, just that they could be geared to support Epic.

Now, in my opinion the Atmospheric Assault Lander and Orbital Loadlifter are pretty good choices for this kind of thinf as a: they're canon and fairly well known, b: they represent two faction that might otherwise struggle to get a Huge ship on the table and ๐Ÿ˜„ they don't really have a reputation as combat craft.

Now, I know point c could be applied to a number of other ships already in the game, but what's been done in the past doesn't necessarily need to be what happens in the future.

The "not all Epic ships need to be Huge" comment was me seeing these ships released as a cheap entry point / gateway drug for Epic games, with a lean towards Epic scenarios, upgrades and content, while still being more than suitable for use in standard play.

Wild off-the-cuff format idea - 400 point list with three of these ships on either side, first player to destroy all their opponent's transports wins!

On 8/9/2020 at 11:31 AM, FTS Gecko said:

Personally, I still want to see the Nebulon B at the CR-90/Raider's sliding scale.

I made one at 1/500 scale. It just about works. I've only used it as scenery so far, but I have used it.

lWEwgKt.jpg

Hammerhead Corvette's next on my to-make list (already done a Consular-Class Cruiser).

@FTS Gecko ah okay, that's fair enough. I misunderstood your intent then.

Personally I think that kind of content should just stay in epic box expansions. Like, the core epic box has plenty of great content for a non huge ship owner. And I feel it gets overlooked a lot of the time. So many folk just aren't that interested or even curious about a larger game. One of the few ways I've been able to coax a standard leaning fan to one of our bi-weekly(pandemic excluded) Epic matches was by getting them to just run a Wing, or a slightly larger squad in general. I think that might be why the Wing card is coming soon they mentioned. That's a perfectly reasonable lure and in an appropriate expansion. My bet is the Resistance Ace box has it. Cuz like lol, it's 3 ships, dats a wing by itself! And that's going to be great for folks into that faction. And MIGHT hey then to play in epic a few times. I agree ST players are going to have a hard time getting a good relatively distinct-ish huge whether they want one or not. There really just isn't much to pick from there. ๐Ÿค”

So in that vein of thought I'd rather see it continue that direction now that they started. More occasional wing cards and such. I think it would be wasteful to include the epic content with each ship box. I'd rather have another epic expansion box that had a bunch of content for ships you may already have that does that. Like a "First Transport is Away!" expansion that has some scenarios, officers, hard points, the Tyderium Title*and other iconic ones, some cargo, a few interesting obstacles, and maybe some epic only config cards for a few standard size transport ships that grant like coordinate>reinforce as a bonus action or some such.

*Here's a thought. This might get a few more into epic while not devaluing a pack with inefficient production. What if there were some cards going forward that had two sides, one epic side and one standard side? Like you could have a cannon on one side, upgraded to hardpoint version of the same cannon on the other side card. Crew/officers, double crew/teams, illicit/cargo, Gunner/Gunner for hardpoint, all would be possible. That way EVERY card you get for the large majority of players (standard ones) is still perfectly usable as is for their own standard game. But hey also, flip it and you can bring this boom stick to flavor town.

Edit: is in edit line

Edited by ForceSensitive
Edit: I know your watching FFG. Steal that idea. I don't even want it. Lol
On 8/11/2020 at 10:19 PM, JanjyGiggins said:

I made one at 1/500 scale. It just about works. I've only used it as scenery so far, but I have used it.

lWEwgKt.jpg

Hammerhead Corvette's next on my to-make list (already done a Consular-Class Cruiser).

Iโ€™ve got it!!

w8qGaag.jpg

RBEZYIJ.jpg

11 minutes ago, Odanan said:

But th is is my preferred: Trident-class assault ship

Trident_USW.png

More stuff somewhere here .

SHEPARD, YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING. WE ARE YOUR GENETIC DESTINY.

Oo_oO

On 7/31/2020 at 3:36 PM, FTS Gecko said:

Still holding out for the Sorosuub 3000 Luxury Yacht. Because Twi'Lek Dancers and Zero G Swimming Pool would be awesome upgrade cards.

However...

• Consular-class Republic Cruiser
  • J-Type 327 Nubian Starship
  • CSS-1 Corellian Star Shuttle

Here you go: (let's make this thread a thing)

On 2/27/2019 at 7:24 PM, Odanan said:

Huge ships (including some more obscure* designs)

CIS:

REPUBLIC:

REPUBLIC/REBELS:

REBELS:

RESISTANCE:

• Modified Raider-II class corvette (retrofitted Corvus from Battlefront II)
  • Many, many ships in the final "space" battle in Ep. IX.

I was browsing through one of the above links and caught this thing. It would be a good like GR75/Gozan parallel for seps. It fits the art style really well, had distinctive features, simple enough structure to make into a model, and a really weird gun thing on the roof lol.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sheathipede-class_transport_shuttle

Edit, wrong link above, this is the correct one. : https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sheathipede-class_Type_B_shuttle

Edited by ForceSensitive
7 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

I was browsing through one of the above links and caught this thing. It would be a good like GR75/Gozan parallel for seps. It fits the art style really well, had distinctive features, simple enough structure to make into a model, and a really weird gun thing on the roof lol.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sheathipede-class_transport_shuttle

...think that maybe be the wrong link @ForceSensitive ..?

44 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

...think that maybe be the wrong link @ForceSensitive ..?

Indeed it is! LMAO ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿ˜… I was close-ish? Looking at our again though I may be wrong anyway. It looks like it might be way closer to a normal large ๐Ÿ˜•

Here we go : https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sheathipede-class_Type_B_shuttle

This could be fun for the Separatists.

HKD Missile Frigate

latest?cb=20060912081739

As the Trade Federation increased their armament, the need for a dedicated bombardment vessel soon came to the attention of its Neimoidian masters. While Trade Federation cargo haulers became better defended, larger pirate gangs started taking notice of the increased value of the cargo aboard said freighters. Pirate gangs in possession of decommissioned capital ships began attacking the armed convoys and putting up quite a fight, so much so that the Trade Federation's freighters were quickly outmatched.

The Missile Frigate , designed by Hoersch-Kessel Drive , like the rest of the Federation's armament, was specifically engineered to deal swift, powerful blows to capital ships attacking convoys. With a battery of forward concussion missiles, aided by long-range guidance systems, the Missile Frigates soon ended most capital ship piracy against the Neimoidians' trade cartel. When the time came to invade Naboo, the Missile Frigates proved to be an excellent threat weapon; a planetary bombardment by a Missile Frigate could take out a target within moments. Most of these ships were removed from service when the Trade Federation lost their franchise, but some remained almost up to the days of the Clone Wars.

This was all copied from https://starwars-exodus.fandom.com/wiki/HKD_Missile_Frigate

It would be even better if it could launch some new types of missiles, like a cruise missile that fly across the board or maybe a larger version of the discord missiles to deploy swarms of buzz droids

Automated Droid Deployment System? You mean fighting the Separatists is like a boss battle that literally has ADDS?

A good option for the Empire and First Order: Carrion Spike

latest?cb=20190117023616

I don't imagine we'd ever really get it, but this Sullustan cargo barge is quite cool and looks about the right size for a larger huge ship with the sliding scale. I'd be tempted to scratch-build one for scenario play but those repeating cargo pods would be a nightmare without access to a 3D printer.

Edited by JanjyGiggins

we could have CR-40's

The Consular-Class Republic Cruiser and the Civilian version of the Gozanti Freighter can create a nice pair for a Republic or early Rebels Epic Fleet.

I know there are already 2 Gozantis in the family... but there is room for the older sibling.

My Old Republic Epic Ships.jpg

That looks almost like a smaller gozanti, in the lower left side of the pic..

I like any of these three, although the hammerhead would probably be a third Rebel huge ship.

Consular Class Cruiser

DP20

Hammerhead Corvette

I think weโ€™ll get the Consular and Hardcell since theyโ€™re already in Armadaโ€™s lineup. The Hardcell doesnโ€™t scream Star Wars to me yet, but I bet it will sway me when it comes out in grand plastic. Iโ€™m all in for the Consular already. I was ready for FFG to make that for the Rebelโ€™s third huge ship years ago, even if it is from another era.