Standard-sized upgrade cards

By Petersaber, in Star Wars: Armada

Updated my Arquiconga.

Fleet 1670 (0/400/400)
=======================

Arquitens-class Light Cruiser (54 + 41: 95)
· General Romodi (20)
· Minister Tua (2)
· Electronic Countermeasures (7)
· Quad Battery Turrets (5)
· Early Warning System (7)

Arquitens-class Light Cruiser (54 + 6: 60)
· Skilled First Officer (1)

Gozanti-class Assault Carriers (28 + 4: 32)
· Hondo Ohnaka (2)
· Munitions Resupply (3)

Gozanti-class Assault Carriers (28 + 3: 31)
· Darth Vader (1)
· Munitions Resupply (3)

1 hour ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

Yeah, but that's a secondary issue. The primary change is the blue and red columns. Imagine adding those to the current cards. The text would be squeezed beyond the point of feasibility.

Challenge accepted. I even accidentally printed the card smaller than normal, but the text font size is identical to General Rieekan's.

AfcIeIB.jpg

Edited by Petersaber
font size
2 hours ago, geek19 said:

Why wasnt I PERSONALLY consulted about this change??

You heard him, folks. Feedback is not allowed. Pack it up, we've had a good run.

yeah I really wish X-wing went back to the smaller cards!!! When I first heard they were going to larger cards i first thought great my old eyes might be able to read the print now with out my reading specs on!! but NOOOOO bigger cards with the same small size font!!! so you lose tons of table top real-estate with no real benefit!!!! I am assuming the new cards for Armada would be the same as the ones in X-wing size/font wise.. however I am surprised FFG didn't some how make the cards different enough/upgraded enough that folks would have to/really want to buy them...

Edited by Wayne Argabright
info

Well I was pretty hyped about Armada CW...All the new stuff looks really nice but the new cards format (both ship and upgrade) leaves me with a bitter taste...

9 minutes ago, Wayne Argabright said:

yeah I really wish X-wing went back to the smaller cards!!! When I first heard they were going to larger cards i first thought great my old eyes might be able to read the print now with out my reading specs on!! but NOOOOO bigger cards with the same small size font!!! so you lose tons of table top real-estate with no real benefit!!!! I am assuming the new cards for Armada would be the same as the ones in X-wing size/font wise.. however I am surprised FFG didn't some how make the cards different enough/upgraded enough that folks would have to/really want to buy them...

The new armada cards seem to use the whole card. Where x-wing went wrong was by adding the sidebar so that the card portion of the card was essentially the same size.

1 hour ago, Petersaber said:

Challenge accepted. I even accidentally printed the card smaller than normal, but the text font size is identical to General Rieekan's. AfcIeIB.jpg

:D Not how I imagined it, and hence it works. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Petersaber said:

Challenge accepted. I even accidentally printed the card smaller than normal, but the text font size is identical to General Rieekan's.

AfcIeIB.jpg

Oh so beautiful.

Is there any way to tag an FFG employee into this thread? So it's read?

17 minutes ago, Petersaber said:

Is there any way to tag an FFG employee into this thread? So it's read?

I'm pretty sure the only interaction they have with these forums is for locking a thread when the topics get too spicy. There may be some browsing from the shadows from time to time but they never seem to post apart from moderation unfortunately, it would be nice for theme to occasionally address things on here...

Edited by Atromix

There will be nice secondary market for anyone willing to print the new upgrades in mini American cards. I’ll give my money to them for upgrades instead of ffg I guess. Hopefully the secondary market can do the ship cards in tarot size as well.

1 hour ago, ninclouse2000 said:

There will be nice secondary market for anyone willing to print the new upgrades in mini American cards. I’ll give my money to them for upgrades instead of ffg I guess. Hopefully the secondary market can do the ship cards in tarot size as well.

I'm not open for business, but I made Photoshop templates for American Mini, Standard, and Tarot cards, both regular and promo formats, for ships, upgrades and squadrons. If I could do it, anyone will be able to.

5 hours ago, Atromix said:

I'm pretty sure the only interaction they have with these forums is for locking a thread when the topics get too spicy. There may be some browsing from the shadows from time to time but they never seem to post apart from moderation unfortunately, it would be nice for theme to occasionally address things on here...

Can anyone with Twitter post @ them?

🙄

X-wing 2.0 has big upgrade cards. Works fine. Didn't miss the small ones.

Just now, Green Knight said:

But that was a whole edition change. Not a mismash of different sizes in the same game.

19 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

First of all, X-Wing takes half the space Armada does. Leaves far more tablespace for cards, and a typical X-Wing list has fewer cards than a typical Armada list.

Second of all, no, it doesn't work fine. Standard-sized cards are universally disliked in my area, and I don't remember the last time I saw X-Wing upgrade cards on a table. Instead, pretty much everyone prints an A4 sheet. This was very rarely the case for Armada.

Third of all, X-Wing cards can be stacked on one another - they are horizontal, and half of the card is wasted space. You can partially slide them one under another and still see the whole card. In Armada this won't be the case due to vertical, centered design.

Edited by Petersaber
32 minutes ago, robertneaves said:

But that was a whole edition change. Not a mismash of different sizes in the same game.

Mismash? It removes the small cards. Well, except the damage deck.

57 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

First of all no. Also, never seen such a lack of logic.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:06 AM, Madaghmire said:

I prefer the old way also but I can’t muster any f@€<$ to give on the topic. It will be mildly annoying but i was already stacking my upgrades on my home table. Outside of the formatting change I like the product tho, 200+ cards all updated for 25 bucks

This more or less sums up my feelings. I’d prefer they were still small, but just don’t care that much. It will be annoying at times I’m sure, but it wouldn’t have kept me from starting the game if it launched this way.

Mostly I’m too hyped by the new ships and factions and that they are taking the opportunity to reprint everything and make some positive changes/fixes to the cards that are out there.

So much good news this week.

31 minutes ago, shmitty said:

Mostly I’m too hyped by the new ships and factions and that they are taking the opportunity to reprint everything and make some positive changes/fixes to the cards that are out there.

No this is the complaint thread, no positivity here. Just WAIT until we get to the topic of kerning....

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

Mismash? It removes the small cards. Well, except the damage deck.

Yes. There's no reason to replace the cards that don't have errata and haven't changed. And the ship cards.

1 hour ago, Blail Blerg said:

First of all no. Also, never seen such a lack of logic.

What are you blabbering about?

I merely state 2.0 has big cards.

I then go on to state it works fine. And this is based on personal experience.

You're free to disagree, of course, but illogical?

Relatedly: why the negativity?

Big cards are coming. It's a reality. I don't think it was needed or wanted. But nothing to be done about it.

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

Relatedly: why the negativity?

Big cards are coming. It's a reality. I don't think it was needed or wanted. But nothing to be done about it.

Your implication seems to be that positivity is the "acceptable" reaction to the Armada card size changes.

Furthermore, the subtext of your post callously shouts " Shut up and deal with it. "

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. It's disrespectful of you to judge or comment on anyone for "negativity" as perceived by you.

News flash: Most people don't like change. It's human nature.

If FFG had left the ship and upgrade cards the same sizes, no one would've had any reaction, positive or negative.

In fact, many players would've been enthused about the Upgrade Card Collection because it will provide rare upgrade cards that were formerly exclusive to a single ship expansion. Many Armada players had been requesting an Armada Upgrade Card pack for that purpose (similar to the Legion Upgrade Card Pack).

However, FFG's choice to change the card sizes in Armada, beginning with the new Clone Wars ship expansions, paints the Upgrade Card Collection in a different light, which has understandably provoked mixed reactions from Armada players.

43 minutes ago, Revan Reborn said:

Your implication seems to be that positivity is the "acceptable" reaction to the Armada card size changes.

Lack of negativity is not positivity necessarily, but 'neutrality', apathy. I think his point was that, like it or loathe it, it's happening, so why spend time complaining? As I personally do not like the change, I can see why there is a desire to express that disappointment (and indeed have indulged in doing so), but after that has been done, why do more?

Note that this is not to criticize those who do complain, nor to shut them up, but to seek to understand the motivation behind their actions.