Oreet's Adventures in 3D Printing

By oreet, in Terrain Building

So I've been pretty quiet on this thread lately. Mostly because I've been working on a large project for a Marvel Crisis Protocol table. Everything in the 3' by 3' table (other than the Marvel miniatures) all came from my printer.

The last of the parts finished printer after this photo, and everything that wasn't already primed is now sitting outside right now drying after some spray primer.

This weekend looks like maybe the last time until spring that it will be warm enough to spraypaint outside, so trying to get my backlog of unprimed terrain and miniatures knocked out.

ONpEpdz.jpg

All the floor tile segments were primed light gray, then I used blue tape to mask off what should stay gray, and sprayed yellow or brown for the other tiles. I then used a black artists' brush marker to draw the grout lines between each tile.

The wall pieces are primed white, brush painted gray for the edges between each segment, then the brush pen for the grout lines

The subway rail tracks were primed black. The rails painted silver, the metal bits below the tracks painted with a rust color, and the edges drybrushed with brown to dirty them up.

Once all the clean painting is done, I'll start adding "character" to the table. Things like dirt and stains on the floors and walls, trash on the floors, posters/advertisements on the walls and pillars, and graffiti on the walls.

Edited by oreet

Looks great! You're using a filament printer, yes? How much $$$ in filament and hours in printing would you guess that table represents?

4 hours ago, SFC Snuffy said:

Looks great! You're using a filament printer, yes? How much $$$ in filament and hours in printing would you guess that table represents?

Filament printer, yes.

As far as cost, don't really want to think about that. :P

Time, a few weeks. Each raised floor piece took 5 to 7 hours, times 35 floor pieces. Track pieces about 4 hours each times 10 pieces, walls took 8 hours each times 10 walls. Steps and escalators 16-20 hours times 4. Each of the 2 trains about a day, newsstand about 8 hours each times 2, then all the scatter pieces took 30 minutes to 3 hours each ( no idea how many benches or trashcans or vending machines are on the table)

quick math says over 500 hours before scatter, so overall, getting close to a month non-stop.

Edited by oreet

These all look great @oreet !

1 hour ago, tdcthulu said:

That looks great!

Were you by chance inspired by Rob Hawkins?

https://robhawkinshobby.blogspot.com/2019/08/subway-station-terrain-showcase.html

If not, you should check it out. There are some wild details in his table.

I came across his table after I had started printing this subway station set from Corvus Games. I'm definitely going to use some of his methods for adding character to the table.