Oreet's Adventures in 3D Printing

By oreet, in Terrain Building

Yeah I have had 0 clogged nozzles since going to 0.5, but you will lose some details.

Initial layer 0.25, with layer height 0.2. All wall widths are 0.5 and thickness is 1.0 with 2 wall line count

Printing temp 200, Bed 70

Print speed 80, Wall Speed 40 and initial layer speed 20 (Initial layer travel speed is 100, then its 200 after)

6mm retraction with 45 retraction speed

Fan speed 100%, initial fan speed 0%

The 5% infill, seems light to some people, but I have had 0 issues. When printing the roofs for Marin City I though the print was going to fail as it was doing the flat pieces, but nope it fills in and looks good.

And unless its a gun barrel or something sticking straight up and narrow I use no supports or adhesion (The Imperial Terrain plans require no supports or adhesion, but I have had a few failed Thingiverse prints that I have re sliced with either or/ or both and they printed well afterwards)

Buy a cheap heat gun, any minor stringing you get will be easily cleared up with a heat gun (I get very little, and depends on the print design, I get no stringing on the Imperial terrain designs, but some thingiverse files generate some with models). My Marin city print and Imperial landing pads turned out amazing. My goal is a full Naboo Table, a Hoth Table, a Tatooine scene and finally an Endor Theme. So far I'm 6 rolls and 2 weeks in and Im about 50% complete all my prints.

You will notice with how I print, they are super light (infill) and while they might seem brittle they are more then strong enough for full table games and unless your hitting them with a hammer or compressing them hard they are durable for transport and lots of use.

Go to thingiverse and download the 20x20 flatness test. Dial in your bed using that ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2789086/files ) I can completely disassemble my printer and relevel it perfectly in under 20 minutes as this allows me to level as it is printing. With the glass bed I can get 5 perfect squares where the magnetic bed the center one was always to high.

Regardless if you change anything, good luck and happy printing!

So tomorrow we are playing a Grand Army (1600 points) sized game. I decided to do something a little different, and go with a much denser amount of terrain this time. There's plenty of opportunities for elevation, including platforms inside each deployment zone, allowing for some new tactics.

Almost everything on the table came from my 3d printer. The main items not from the printer are the lava river, lava pools, red crystals, and the FFG barricades.

Most of the prints were from Imperial Terrain, some from various Thingiverse designers, and some from Corvus.

CpeI0JX.jpg

DFF1rW1.jpg

BImypli.jpg

y5sQPQ1.jpg

jPFEBsS.jpg

really impressive table

The heavy repulsor truck looks really huge, I guess it took several days of printing....

I think you need a lava skiff for this particular table

egcnWmY.png

I'd like to get a lava boat from The Mandalorian, specifically with the humanoid astromech driving it.

1 hour ago, oreet said:

I'd like to get a lava boat from The Mandalorian, specifically with the humanoid astromech driving it.

I believe the ferry droid is available on thingiverse (I think difficult to print, or maybe with a resin printer)

The ferry itself had not been created yet so far

Do never playing a Grand Army size game again... Took around 7 hours to play...

14 hours ago, oreet said:

Do never playing a Grand Army size game again... Took around 7 hours to play...

Funny, I've found that Grand Army games aren't that much longer than regular games. Everything dies so fast it rapidly clears the board. 2v2 games, however, take approximately ALL **** DAY to get through.

Never played a Grand Army game, but I remember Apocalypse games from a few editions back of 40K. They always seemed like a good idea, but a few hours in all of the fun was sucked out of it and you just made suicidal moves in order to get the whole ordeal over faster. And then wondered why it had seemed like a good idea in the first place.

2 hours ago, SFC Snuffy said:

Never played a Grand Army game, but I remember Apocalypse games from a few editions back of 40K. They always seemed like a good idea, but a few hours in all of the fun was sucked out of it and you just made suicidal moves in order to get the whole ordeal over faster. And then wondered why it had seemed like a good idea in the first place.

Oddly enough...on round 5, I popped Palpatine's And Now You Die order card, and made him kill himself in order to kill Luke Skywalker.

Next up off the printer is The Dragon Crest, from The Dragon's Rest. They are offering the stl files for free, so grab them before they aren't free.
https://dragons.rest/collections/sci-fi/products/outpost-origins-vehicle-kit-dragon-crest

Fleet Trooper included to show scale:
JT7hPEA.jpg

Ship with the top removed to show interior details and allow for play inside. Featuring a certain faceless Mando inside:
Wlrk3Cy.jpg

I wonder why that floating crib pod is empty?
xzZX9C4.jpg

Cargo hatch in the back is on a hinge and opens and closes:
dC90z3e.jpg

Unfortunately, the side door is not on a hinge, so I glued it in the open position:
qBEhSvJ.jpg

jsos6UT.jpg

Wow

the details are insane

thanks for sharing the link

12 minutes ago, DL-44 said:

Wow

the details are insane

thanks for sharing the link

So there's three versions of the chair with the Baby Yoda pod.

Double Chair, Chair with Empty Pod, and Chair with weird slug thing in Pod.
V2eWLEQ.png

Everything holds together with those OpenLOCK clips that some people use for things, so it's easy to take it apart to paint. The set is supposed to be part of a modular ship-building system they have, so you could configure parts in various ways to get different ships.

1 hour ago, oreet said:

So there's three versions of the chair with the Baby Yoda pod.

Double Chair, Chair with Empty Pod, and Chair with weird slug thing in Pod.
V2eWLEQ.png

Everything holds together with those OpenLOCK clips that some people use for things, so it's easy to take it apart to paint. The set is supposed to be part of a modular ship-building system they have, so you could configure parts in various ways to get different ships.

Very flexible model

I just check the files briefly, it seems that the windscreen had to be scratchbuilt with transparent sheet

That's also a good addon and very smart design

this model does approach the quality of injection molding ones

1 minute ago, DL-44 said:

Very flexible model

I just check the files briefly, it seems that the windscreen had to be scratchbuilt with transparent sheet

That's also a good addon and very smart design

this model does approach the quality of injection molding ones

So someone on the Facebook group for that company suggested using plastic from soda bottles for the windscreens/windows. For now, i plan on just leaving them open instead. I might revisit someday and add something.

I was really impressed with this model.

So this Shipyard Crane model from Imperial Terrain looks awesome, and is a huge monster. (also, in the background, I scored 2 boxes of Droid Commandos and 2 boxes of ARC Troopers from my local game shop today)

kleOrO4.jpg

Here's a better photo including the raised area the crane will sit on, and some Fleet Troopers for scale.

qIvL1dG.jpg

I still have a few small parts to print, and then one last large piece that connects the crane to the platform, and allows it to roll along tracks on the platform.

The design is really smart. You use a length of plastic filament as the rope/cable for the crane, so I can have it lifting shipping containers once it's all done.

Edited by oreet

That's really cool! I'd probably go with fine-scale chain, or a twisted-wire neck chain for verisimilitude, but it's a really cool idea. Are you going to have it over a mag-lev track or road to simulate freight shipment?

7 hours ago, SFC Snuffy said:

That's really cool! I'd probably go with fine-scale chain, or a twisted-wire neck chain for verisimilitude, but it's a really cool idea. Are you going to have it over a mag-lev track or road to simulate freight shipment?

The current plan is to center it around a Shipyard. Probably using the large landing platform next to it. As a Shipyard, the stacks of crates and shipping containers scattered around make a lot of sense.

I'm also going to be printing more of their Conchin District stuff because last game we played used a little more elevated areas than we'd been using, and it made the gameplay better. That set has a bunch of raised platforms that connect to the Crane.

In printer news, a glass print bed arrived yesterday, so I'm be messing around with that this weekend. This was something recommended by a lot of people, and I've been having some bed adhesion issues while working through the Crane set, so we'll see if this solves that issue.

47 minutes ago, oreet said:

I'm also going to be printing more of their Conchin District stuff because last game we played used a little more elevated areas than we'd been using, and it made the gameplay better. That set has a bunch of raised platforms that connect to the Crane.

My sentiment exactly, give all those jump-units some higher places to actually go to!

3 hours ago, L_A_D said:

My sentiment exactly, give all those jump-units some higher places to actually go to!

So last game I made sure to include some raised platforms in both deployment zones so troops could start out on the raised areas (not sure if that's how deployment works in the rules as written, but that's how it works in my house).

Last game, Luke jumped up on a platform, killed Bossk :( but stood too close to the edge, where Palpatine could see him. Papa Palps popped his And Now You Will Die command card, went first, and killed Luke, while killing himself at the same time.

So it's been a bit since I posted an update...

Been working on some shipyard related terrain. Thinking having my lava mining complex, with one end of the table being the Imperial base, and the other end a freight yard/shipyard for transporting the mined resources.

These parts are from Imperial Terrain's Shipyard Crane and Conchin District sets. Shoretroopers added for scale.

This thing is HUGE:
DYcE5WU.jpg

Close-up of the crane in poor lighting:
PbS3fvz.jpg

I need to clean up the ladders a bit, but look at how tall this monster is:
78H2rG1.jpg

So these are the colors a settled on. Yellow glossy for the a-frames and other support structures, gray for the ladders, and eventually barricades/barriers along the walkways, and a rust brown for the platforms.

Slowed down pretty heavily from 3d printing lately, mostly because I just have 1 4'x8' gaming table in my house, and limited storage space.

A friend came to visit over the weekend, so we played a Legion game yesterday. Here's some photos of the table setup after the game was over.

Everything on the table came from my printer except the red crystals, the lava river and pools, and the FFG barricades. Most of the designs came from Imperial Terrain, 1 or 2 things were from Corvus Terrain, the Razorcrest look-alike from Dragon's Rest, and anything else was from Thingiverse.

rUvN8CR.jpg

wLSpVy0.jpg

tn70RXF.jpg

CzUjQWj.jpg

When I see the amount of terrain you did print, I am speechless

I am trying to print the dragon crest between 2 bussiness trips......

Very nice table BTW

47 minutes ago, DL-44 said:

When I see the amount of terrain you did print, I am speechless

I am trying to print the dragon crest between 2 bussiness trips......

Very nice table BTW

So I am able to work full time from home, so I'm able to keep an eye on things printing throughout the day.